Deceased/Not Found UK - Nicola Payne, 18, Coventry, 14 Dec 1991

That is interesting i wonder what the significance of the tent is.

The fishing lake at Coombe Abbey had not been open long when Nicola disappeared, and the land around it was used as an unofficial camp site. It certainly seems that this area is integral to this investigation and may well hold the key...

it seems to me that the police have had a theory as to what happened to Nicola they just needed that last crucial piece of evidence which they must have found.

Certainly agree with that, I think they have quite a bit on them. One thing I was just looking at is they are accused of murdering Nicola between the 13th and 16th December 1991, she went missing on the 14th so they are effectively saying they killed her within a couple of days of abducting her. How would they know this? I agree this is the probably outcome but it seems this is being presented as fact.

f they did keep her prisoner for a couple of days before killing her i can only imagine the terror that poor girl must of gone through. But this is all speculation. Im sure we will find more information out in the next few months as the trial approaches.

Makes you sick doesn't it? She would no doubt have told them that she had a baby and needed to get back to him, but they still killed her anyway. At least one of the suspects had kids of their own back then too... Probably got grandchildren by now. It's difficult to comprehend. I hope they go down for the rest of their lives if they are found guilty, at 51 years old I imagine that would be the case.

I still think she must have been killed because she witnessed them doing something illegal and they silenced her. The fact that witnesses reporting the two suspects hanging around suspiciously to me indicates that. Of course the other possible reason is that they planned to abduct and murder a random girl that day that theory is chilling if that is the case it definitely needs thinking whever in the previous 23 years they have carried out other murders. Another theory is that they may have been waiting for her.

That is one theory, but they must have been doing something pretty bad to think it was worth murdering a teenage girl to cover it up. I think your second theory is more likely and that they were looking for a random girl to abduct and Nicola was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another thing I was thinking about, a lot of people have secret stuff going on in their lives that nobody knows about, it is possible that the suspects and Nicola knew each other and this was a pre-arranged meeting. One thing I do believe is that if these 2 did it, they haven't kept it to themselves all this time and I think there are other people closely associated to them who know what happened to Nicola.

I agree that others must know or have suspicions.they were in the area for some reason that day and must have spoken to someone. As for them possibly knowing nicola I have felt it's seems a bit coincidental that these two suspects were waiting at the place at the time nicola was heading to her parents house.

The trial is due to start 2 weeks on Monday. Let's hope It brings Nicola's family some long awaited answers and justice for Nicola herself.

Added to UK cases thread. Please can everyone add threads there as and when you come across them.

The trial started today,and is expected to last 6-8 weeks.

From the prosecutions' opening statement:

Mr Smith says that in 1991 Nigel Barwell lived in Ventnor Close, Coventry, with his wife Mary.

"Mary Barwell's brother was Thomas O'Reilly, the second defendant.

"The defendants are brothers in law.

Nigel Barwell owned a distinctive blue Ford Capri car.

"It was distinctive because of the alloy wheels and the body kit."

Mr Smith says it's the prosecution's case that Barwell's car was seen in Winston Avenue on the morning of December 14.

at around the time Nicola Payne left 197 Winston Avenue, the Cooke family address, resident Patrick Carter started walking his dog.

"When Mr Carter was skirting the waste ground he saw, for a few seconds, someone standing in a bush.

"The individual saw Mr Carter and tried to back away and hide.

"While Mr Carter could not tell whether the person was male or female he judged that person to be approximately 6ft tall and well built.

"The person was wearing a brown waist length jacket."

Jurors have previously been told by Mr Smith that at the time Barwell was often seen wearing a brown leather jacket.

"He (Mr Carter) was about 20 yards beyond the car when he heard a short female scream.

"The scream came from the direction of the bushes where he had seen the figure hiding.

"A scream, the prosecution invite you to consider, that came from Nicola Payne."

after Nicola was last seen Louise Sambrook was in a house in Dunrose Close, close to the Sowe Valley Nature Reserve.

"She saw, standing either side of the boot of Mr Barwell's Ford Capri, Nigel Barwell and Thomas O'Reilly," he said

"Between them, partly on the lip of the boot, was what appeared to Miss Sambrook, to be a full black bin bag.

"The prosecution suggest that Miss Sambrook was in fact observing the ground sheet of a tent that contained the body of Nicola Payne."

The accused were arrested in December 1991 and then disappeared.

Hairs found in a tent behind Barwells house were tested for DNA in 2014 and matched Nicola.

the prosecution can't be sure of the motive behind the attack, suggesting it may have been sexual

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/nicola-payne-trial-recap-day-10240744

Sadly looking like Nicola met an all too familiar fate, sexually motivated attack then they've hidden her body somewhere. It looks like the police knew it was them from the beginning but lacked the DNA evidence to get a conviction. If only they hadn't lost that tent for over 22 years they would have been put away a long time ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back