UPDATED:Casey Death Penalty Case Hard To Make At This Time

I'm just curious, and please move me if I'm in the wrong place, but I am starting to worry if she might actually get "away" with this. I mean there is no doubt in my mind she will be charged with the fraud and lying to authorities, but I will be heartbroken if she ends up only spending like 10 years in jail.

Is anyone else worried about this?

I am.

The thought that she can get away with Caylee's death really scares me.

The article says this:
"Prosecutors say they don’t know if they have enough evidence to seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony, who is accused of killing her daughter, Caylee, WESH 2 News learned on Thursday.

A spokesman at the Orange-Osceola State Attorney’s Office told WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing on Thursday that prosecutors have not taken the death penalty off the table, because the case is still developing and they hope to find Caylee’s body.

Randy Means of the state attorney’s office said there are doubts there are enough aggravating factors to get the death penalty at this time."

So, which is it?

And one of those factors could be a positive if they would try her on the money charges!!!!
Why tha' heck did prosecutors agree to hold off on that?!! :furious::furious:
(Correct me if I am seeing this incorrectly.)
from the article:
There are various aggravating factors that are considered in Florida death penalty cases. These, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, include that the murder:

- Was heinous, atrocious, cruel, or depraved. Seems to fit

- Involved substantial planning and premeditation.Seems to fit

- Was committed without pretense of moral or legal justification.YES

- Was committed by a person with previous felonies, or happened while another felony was being committed.Seems to fit

That sucks.

I wish they could've held out releasing this info to use it against KC if they don't find Caylee's body this weekend. It might have been a really good bargaining chip to making her tell where she is.

Firstly, this didn't say that the DP is off the table, only there is nothing yet that supports it.

Secondly, this might be signalling to the Defense, the same way the Defense did with the 30-pages -- this might be the State indicating they are open to concluding this with a plea.

KC has too much faith in JB though, that he will obtain a 'not guilty' -- this is posturing.

I'm just curious, and please move me if I'm in the wrong place, but I am starting to worry if she might actually get "away" with this. I mean there is no doubt in my mind she will be charged with the fraud and lying to authorities, but I will be heartbroken if she ends up only spending like 10 years in jail.

Is anyone else worried about this?

If the State can't prove their "this" on some level then yes, she'll be acquitted and walk.

The Evidence just isn't there.

FYI: They're talking about the case on CNN Headline News right now.

Firstly, this didn't say that the DP is off the table, only there is nothing yet that supports it.

Secondly, this might be signalling to the Defense, the same way the Defense did with the 30-pages -- this might be the State indicating they are open to concluding this with a plea.

KC has too much faith in JB though, that he will obtain a 'not guilty' -- this is posturing.

So silly and naive. She thought she could murder her daughter and let the body rot in the trunk and simply move on with life - NOT

She thinks Baez will get her off - NOT

And one of those factors could be a positive if they would try her on the money charges!!!!
from the article:
There are various aggravating factors that are considered in Florida death penalty cases. These, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, include that the murder:

- Was committed by a person with previous felonies, or happened while another felony was being committed.Seems to fit

The first paragraph states they don't know if they have enough to go for the DP. Then, it states that they HAVE NOT taken the DP off the table. Then the third paragraph goes on again with the doubts. So, what is it? Is the DP off the table right now or not? :waitasec:

The article says this:
"Prosecutors say they don’t know if they have enough evidence to seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony, who is accused of killing her daughter, Caylee, WESH 2 News learned on Thursday.

A spokesman at the Orange-Osceola State Attorney’s Office told WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing on Thursday that prosecutors have not taken the death penalty off the table, because the case is still developing and they hope to find Caylee’s body.

Randy Means of the state attorney’s office said there are doubts there are enough aggravating factors to get the death penalty at this time."

So, which is it?

...and that no "official" decision has yet to be made.

To me, this seems like a public rebuttal to yesterday's defense "leak." I think they are trying for a plea in the open before TES finds her this weekend.

from the article:

You forgot killing of someone under the age of 12, which certainly fits.

Maybe they've made a deal?
I'll bet plea deal discussions are happening about as fast and furious as this forum today! KC will want the charges reduced significantly and a specific number of years term -- as low as possible; for ... location of the body. That's her coin-of-the-realm and she's about to lose it.

from the article:

- Was heinous, atrocious, cruel, or depraved. There is no cause of death known, or proof for that matter with Forensics that Caylee is dead.

- Involved substantial planning and premeditation. Nothing that is known proves planning or premeditation.

- Was committed without pretense of moral or legal justification. Another unknown, absent of proof.

- Was committed by a person with previous felonies, or happened while another felony was being committed. No factual scenario on Caylee's death, much less during the commencement of a felony.

When you seat a Death Qualified Jury, you need substantial proof - not a bunch of "seems to fit".

That sucks.

I wish they could've held out releasing this info to use it against KC if they don't find Caylee's body this weekend. It might have been a really good bargaining chip to making her tell where she is.

I was hoping that same thing: evidently, from what I read, they had until the 24th to make the decision as to whether to seek the DP. Why, oh why, did they not keep this on the table?

from the article:

I agree. Her actions fit all four of the criteria. What are the prosecutors talking about??? Today's article doesn't say the DB is definitely off the table. Am I missing something here?

I'll bet plea deal discussions are happening about as fast and furious as this forum today! KC will want the charges reduced significantly and a specific number of years term -- as low as possible; for ... location of the body. That's her coin-of-the-realm and she's about to lose it.

ITA - and I really hope that the bargaining goes no where fast so that TES (and I hope LE, at the landfills where the TES vols aren't able to search) can search and find Caylee. Trial, anyone???

They changed the article.

It did say:
"Prosecutors: No Death Penalty For Casey Anthony
Source: Not Enough Aggravating Factors To Make Case

POSTED: 3:57 pm EST November 6, 2008

Prosecutors say they do not have enough evidence to seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony, who is accused of killing her daughter, Caylee, WESH 2 News learned on Thursday.

A source at the Orange-Osceola State Attorney’s Office told WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing on Thursday that prosecutors have decided there are not enough "aggravating factors" to pursue the death penalty."

Now it says:
"Casey Death Case Hard To Make At This Time
Aggravating Factors Required To Get Death Sentence

POSTED: 3:57 pm EST November 6, 2008
UPDATED: 4:52 pm EST November 6, 2008

Prosecutors say they don’t know if they have enough evidence to seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony, who is accused of killing her daughter, Caylee, WESH 2 News learned on Thursday.

They changed the title and added the part about death penalty has not been taken off the table.

ITA - and I really hope that the bargaining goes no where fast so that TES (and I hope LE, at the landfills where the TES vols aren't able to search) can search and find Caylee. Trial, anyone???
We're on the same page. Defense indicates crime and guilt by KC the same day prosecution says the evidence doesn't support a death penalty? Deal is comin' down, folks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back