Found Deceased UT - Daniel Brown, 34, Iron County, 28 March 2016

[His] last known direction from the vehicle is east,” said police. “Any direction from there within a mile to two miles is a roadway. We’d think he’d be able to make it to one of those roadways if that’s what he was looking for."

In addition to Daniel's working phone [that his wife thought he had on him], she also had an inactive cell phone, but police said she didn’t know an emergency call could be made from an inactive device.

It’s still unclear why Brown didn’t call for help when the family had gotten stuck.

Deputies say there’s a very real possibility someone picked up Brown.

http://fox13now.com/2016/03/30/sear...h-for-father-who-went-missing-in-iron-county/

The Iron County Sheriff’s Office called off search and rescue crews Wednesday night. They will continue Thursday morning but will be scaled back to a minimal number of crew members.

The command post will also be relocated from its existing site 21 miles north of Enoch to the sheriff’s office in Cedar City.

Authorities believe the couple may have traveled into the Kane Springs area from the Parowan Gap and that it’s likely Brown didn’t realize they were only 2 miles away from Minersville Highway and became lost.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...her-may-likely-turn-to-recovery/#.Vv0R5pwrLAU

That's true, carbuff, he certainly wouldn't be the first to perish while walking for help. But I still find it strange that he wore only a tshirt. Even if he couldn't afford a winter coat, he must have owned at least a sweatshirt, a fleece or some kind of light jacket. They were living in their van, he would have had access to them, or at least clothes to layer. They live in the high desert, where it gets cold at night and it can snow, and even the poorest people own something to wear on the coldest days.

I wonder if they had a fight and he walked off without thinking about taking a coat or sweatshirt. I can imagine something along the lines of, "I can't believe you got us stuck! And we're in the middle of nowhere! Fix this!" And so on, and so forth... A fight also would explain why they didn't call for help right away, why he left his phone behind, and why she didn't call after he'd been gone for a few hours. I know she says she didn't know he left his phone, but I wonder how long it took for her to start looking for a solution to being stranded after he didn't return sometime that night. If they had a fight, she might have been fuming well into the next morning. Know what I mean?

SAR hasn't found him yet. He must have strayed off the road looking for help. I hope they find him today. I think he'll be very lucky if they find him alive at this point.

I'd like to know what the 11 year old has to say.

It sounds like he is probably either faking his death in a way that will allow his family to collect his life insurance, or else just plain suicidal. But he wouldn't be the first person to perish trying to walk for help in a snowstorm:

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county...storm-related_death_reported_in_south_je.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim
http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_6ff8908f-c4f8-5c71-a56b-23050748f985.html

I'm still stumped about them having a phone. I don't know. It doesn't make sense. At all.

That's true, carbuff, he certainly wouldn't be the first to perish while walking for help. But I still find it strange that he wore only a tshirt. Even if he couldn't afford a winter coat, he must have owned at least a sweatshirt, a fleece or some kind of light jacket. They were living in their van, he would have had access to them, or at least clothes to layer. They live in the high desert, where it gets cold at night and it can snow, and even the poorest people own something to wear on the coldest days.

I wonder if they had a fight and he walked off without thinking about taking a coat or sweatshirt. I can imagine something along the lines of, "I can't believe you got us stuck! And we're in the middle of nowhere! Fix this!" And so on, and so forth... A fight also would explain why they didn't call for help right away, why he left his phone behind, and why she didn't call after he'd been gone for a few hours. I know she says she didn't know he left his phone, but I wonder how long it took for her to start looking for a solution to being stranded after he didn't return sometime that night. If they had a fight, she might have been fuming well into the next morning. Know what I mean?

SAR hasn't found him yet. He must have strayed off the road looking for help. I hope they find him today. I think he'll be very lucky if they find him alive at this point.

Or a blanket. A long sleeve. Something besides just a tshirt.

[His] last known direction from the vehicle is east,” said police. “Any direction from there within a mile to two miles is a roadway. We’d think he’d be able to make it to one of those roadways if that’s what he was looking for."

In addition to Daniel's working phone [that his wife thought he had on him], she also had an inactive cell phone, but police said she didn’t know an emergency call could be made from an inactive device.

It’s still unclear why Brown didn’t call for help when the family had gotten stuck.

http://fox13now.com/2016/03/30/sear...h-for-father-who-went-missing-in-iron-county/

How in the world would he get picked up if he didn't have a working cell phone, and was basically in the middle of nowhere in snow so thick his van got stuck? Not one piece of what we are being told makes sense.

I have to ask, I could probably google this, but how does one use a dead phone to call 911?

BBM I wonder what makes them think this.

BBM I wonder what makes them think this.

Heck, who says he was even in the van! The wife who was sitting in the van for almost 20 hours with 4 kids and 2 cell phones!?!?

some background info:

Brown lost his job just a few days earlier.

According to court records, a traffic ticket issued to Brown near Hurricane on March 4 listed the family’s last known address as a Cedar City hotel on Main Street.

Relatives said Brown had recently moved his wife and three children to the Cedar City area from California for a job opportunity.

The family of five had jumped from state to state in search of employment over the past couple of years.

Brown's parents, who live in California, said they did not learn their son was missing until relatives alerted them of the news coverage.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...-optimistic-missing-man-found-alive/82448176/

Ok this thought just popped into my head.

The family was living in their vehicle for the past week. So it got stuck in snow while they were looking for a campsite out in the boonies.

2 cell phones but the father didn't call for help and decides at 4 pm to go for help in clothing ill suited to the weather.

If you were already living in your car my question is what difference would one more night make? Why not wait till morning when it's light and the temps would certainly be warmer than night time temps no matter what.

If they'd been sleeping in the car for a week they certainly expected to sleep in the car at least another night regardless of getting stuck. Why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you were already living in your car my question is what difference would one more night make? Why not wait till morning when it's light and the temps would certainly be warmer than night time temps no matter what.

this!!!!

Heck, who says he was even in the van! The wife who was sitting in the van for almost 20 hours with 4 kids and 2 cell phones!?!?

I would imagine the children could verify if their Dad was in the van.

How in the world would he get picked up if he didn't have a working cell phone, and was basically in the middle of nowhere in snow so thick his van got stuck? Not one piece of what we are being told makes sense.

I think they mean that some random person passing by gave him a ride.

If he left at 4p, and only had a mile to walk, he probably thought he'd be back long before dark.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back