Found Deceased UT - Daniel Brown, 34, Iron County, 28 March 2016

I would imagine the children could verify if their Dad was in the van.

I'm sure, but I want to know what was going on in the van at the time the dad was in there and during the 20 hours the mom just sat in the van with the kids ... while 2 cellphones, one working and one not working (but still able to alert in an emergency), were not used.

Maybe the kids can give LE some insight into that.

Hmm. Mom of 3 didn't know her cell phone could be used to dial 911? Hmm...I knew that because we have one the kids play with and I always worry they'll somehow call 911.

Hmm. She didn't call until 10am the next morning? In a panic after a few hours and dark setting in, wouldn't you start looking around for things in the vehicle that might help you? Matches to start a fire, flashlights to signal people...wouldn't you find the phone? IDK.

Hopefully some talks with the kids might provide some insight.

And another reminder...if you become lost in the wilderness with your car, DON'T LEAVE YOUR CAR!!

A new article from The Salt Lake Tribune:

Search resumes, but hopes dwindling for man missing in wintry Iron County

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3725450-155/search-resumes-but-hopes-dwindling-for

Schlosser said the family had been sleeping in the van, a large model that made into a bed inside. Other than blankets, they did not have much in the way of camping equipment, however.

Also, Schlosser said, Brown's wife said it was not uncommon for her husband to shed his coat, and that he seldom wore one unless it was "extremely cold."

However, one major question — why Brown didn't just call for help to begin with — remains unanswered. "This is a question we still have," Schlosser said.

Seems they have some of the same questions we have.

He looks ridiculously familiar. Has anybody found any SM for him? He has such a common name I am finding it difficult.

No, that is not the same area. That is about 275 miles east of where they were. They were between Minersville and Cedar City, north of Gap Road (out of Parowan). The search teams were staged on Route 130 (Minersville Highway), at mile marker 31 (about 21 miles north of Enoch). They were stuck on one of the side roads, which is why he had to walk back toward 130. That information was in one of the articles above, can't remember which one. I'll try to find it.

EDIT TO ADD LINK: https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2016/03/30/tds-iron-county-sheriffs-office-says-search-efforts-for-missing-father-may-likely-turn-to-recovery/#.Vv1u50n2bct

Thank you. :)

How's this Map?

You're welcome, byo. :) Your new map is correct. It sure would help to know exactly which side road he was on, wouldn't it? I wonder if there's a reason officials haven't given a specific location.

Of special interest to searchers was an area about 2 miles west of State Route 130, heading toward Minersville.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3721403-155/search-resumes-for-man-missing-two

Thanks. :) But there are many roads off 130, and while they set up the search at mile 31, we don't know exactly where that is, nor do we know how far north or south of that mile marker they are looking. So, I'm just curious exactly which side road they got stuck on. If that makes sense...

I'm afraid that being jobless, homeless and such a large family to take care of, getting stuck might have been the last straw for this man.

Hmm. Mom of 3 didn't know her cell phone could be used to dial 911? Hmm...I knew that because we have one the kids play with and I always worry they'll somehow call 911.

Hmm. She didn't call until 10am the next morning? In a panic after a few hours and dark setting in, wouldn't you start looking around for things in the vehicle that might help you? Matches to start a fire, flashlights to signal people...wouldn't you find the phone? IDK.

Hopefully some talks with the kids might provide some insight.

And another reminder...if you become lost in the wilderness with your car, DON'T LEAVE YOUR CAR!!

But if there is no known crime, why would the mother allow police to interview an 11 year old alone? As a mother, I would find it odd that they wanted to interview my child alone, unless their input was needed in a criminal investigation. Which is not the case here AFAIK.

Wouldn't there be footprints in the snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The blizzard would have covered any tracks he made. If he survived the blizzard, and kept moving, there would be tracks. Since searchers haven't found tracks after the blizzard ended, I'm assuming that's why they think this is possibly a recovery mission now. Although it's interesting that they are also wondering whether he purposely left his family behind.

new information coming out:

While authorities earlier said Brown left his family at 4 p.m., police now say that after some investigation they found the time was closer to 7 p.m.

Authorities said Brown would have fought a snowstorm in just a T-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. They don’t think he survived if was in the area, but Brown may not be out there at all.

"We are looking at other possibilities. One of those possibilities is that he just left his family and left the area. We have investigators that are working now with interviews and other information to try and locate him if he did leave the area."

http://fox13now.com/2016/03/31/sear...sing-in-iron-county-turns-to-recovery-effort/

things are getting stranger...

I know this was debated earlier, whether he had a coat, could afford a coat, and why he didn't wear a coat when he "left the car to go for help":

We found the coat at the vehicle so, given that situation, we are now looking for a body and not a live human being.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...h-missing-man-turns-rescue-recovery/82487722/

So not only did he NOT take his WORKING cell phone [not to mention the fact that neither one of them thought to CALL at that time for help], but he also didn't take his coat.

This is all so strange. I definitely believe there is more to the story (either he never was in that van, she dumped him long ago, or they're both on drugs and he fled the vehicle thinking gangs or the FBI (ala Michael Cavalarri) were after him.

It just makes no sense that the wife "thought" he took his cell phone with him. Wouldn't that be a topic of discussion BEFORE leaving the vehicle? How insisting he wear his coat, this is 7:00 at night, freezing temperatures!!

Honey, I know we're stuck and it's 7:00pm, leave my coat here and working cell phone, I'm going out in the blizzard to get help. SMH

Brown left with the van keys in his possession. The driver and passenger side windows had been rolled down before the vehicle was shut off. The woman used blankets to cover the open windows through the night.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...h-missing-man-turns-rescue-recovery/82487722/

hinky, hinky

So he left with the van keys and driver and passenger windows wide open. He left behind his coat, his wife, 4 kids, and 2 cellphones.

Wow, so now they tell us he left closer to 7 pm. That is about an hour before sunset. It also sounds like the blizzard was underway already, since officials previously said that the weather turned from nice to stormy about 2 hours after the initial reported time of 4 pm. Just the fact that he left so close to sunset makes me wonder why he didn't grab some kind of jacket, fleece, sweatshirt or long-sleeved shirt. Add the weather had already turned, and it makes no sense whatsoever. He had to have had SOMETHING warmer to wear.

I can't keep up with you, JerseyGirl! You made 2 more posts while I wrote my last one! LOL

The info in your 2nd and 3rd posts is pretty grim. He took the keys, left windows open and left his coat. Sounds like my first impression that they had a fight might be true.

Those poor kids, trying to sleep during a blizzard with the windows open. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back