VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #14 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, it seems to me that JM wasn't so dense after all. Maybe I'm one of the few on here though that thinks this. But if I were to be in his shoes, I do believe that's exactly what I'd do: I'd try to find some obscure, out-of-the-way beach far away from the home state to disappear to. Makes sense to me honestly.
I completely agree, JM is not at all dense. I wouldn't label him as above average, but I definitely don't think he's lacking any mental capacity. I think he makes bad decisions, doesn't think things through logically, and certainly has impulse and anger control issues, but I don't chalk any of that up to sub-par intelligence, but to a failure to adapt to and abide by societal mores.

This is rambling somewhat, but I think the best place to disappear is a massive cosmopolitan city like New York or Hong Kong. With so many commuters, tourists, transients, etc., I imagine it'd be much harder to pick someone out of the crowd. I base this theory on having had to sit through multiple viewings of Push (my sister has a thing for Chris Evans).

Thanks. I think this and her youth might explain her apparent fearlessness while wandering around alone at that hour. (Still, it doesn't explain the wandering around alone itself.)

On the other hand, this also doesn't explain why she would willingly get into a car with JM. Surely she was more streetwise than that.

So I think he must have subdued her in some fashion for her to get into his car.

It was the alcohol. MH's behavior while on UVA campus after leaving the arena was also considered not normal for her and she was intoxicated too.

Does VA have a death penalty? His actions so far lead me to believe that he might trade a body for a life sentence.

We most definitely have a death penalty here and if she is dead I hope HGs remains are found before the D.A has to take it off the table just to find her and give her family some much needed peace.

It is a generational thing, right? I keep seeing this on various posts/comments after articles on people behaving badly/criminals - "Don;t judge! Haters!"

Judging is precisely what human beings need to do and do actually do, several times each day, in order to survive. We judge body language, behavior, our guts, etc., to determine, should I hire this person? Should I date this person? Should I let this person care for my kids? Should I trust this stranger?

Our whole lives, we are amassing the information necessary to make crucial judgments, judgments that can help us in our lives. We are subconsciously studying. We know what is typical, normal and right or wrong. But suddenly, we are not supposed to utilize that information?

I read this comment on a board about Tommy Schaefer, arrested in Bali for murdering his girlfriend's mother, who they then stuffed inside a suitcase and hauled out of the hotel: "people are so judgemental smh everyone deserves a second chance. Including u and all ur REDACTED ups. U may not have murdered but u damn sure werent there to see him do it either. And I'm sure u've been forgiven for doing something bad becasue no one is perfect. Not saying he did not saying he didn't., Just Let God be the judge and ur lane..."

The poster was upset that people were disgusted with fund raising efforts for the accused.

I do think this may be generational. It could stem from the trophy generation/self-esteem generation life philosophy. Gross generalization alert but those kids were never ever criticized. They were never told that something they did wasn't perfect. Today, as a result, young people sometimes burst into tears or become outraged if their bosses criticize their work and others feel that none of us are allowed to use our brains to apply logic and, gasp! "judge".

Well, I've survived this long using my brain and I will continue to do so. Even if I am out of date.

Pulling up to your outdated table. I assume it is a generational thing as I never heard of it growing up in the eighties. We weren't coddled. If you won the contest you got the trophy. If you lost you got a handshake from the opposing team. You didn't get your own damned trophy.

I think people equate judging with...how do I phrase this.....actual physical acts of aggression. They don't seem to comprehend that one can judge another, even very unfairly, yet not be capable of hurting another person. Thoughts are deeds it seems.

The hypocrisy is whomever accuses another of judging is judging. Pot may I introduce you to kettle.

Let us say he was going to Mexico.

Now what? Can he ger a job? How is his Spanish?

Where is he going to live?

Questions no one bothers to try to answer when they are fleeing something and the only imperative is to get away from that thing.

Does VA have a death penalty? His actions so far lead me to believe that he might trade a body for a life sentence.

I think they should tell him we are going to seek the death penalty but if you confess and tell us where the body is we will give you 40 years.

It is a generational thing, right? I keep seeing this on various posts/comments after articles on people behaving badly/criminals - "Don;t judge! Haters!"

Judging is precisely what human beings need to do and do actually do, several times each day, in order to survive. We judge body language, behavior, our guts, etc., to determine, should I hire this person? Should I date this person? Should I let this person care for my kids? Should I trust this stranger?

Our whole lives, we are amassing the information necessary to make crucial judgments, judgments that can help us in our lives. We are subconsciously studying. We know what is typical, normal and right or wrong. But suddenly, we are not supposed to utilize that information?

I read this comment on a board about Tommy Schaefer, arrested in Bali for murdering his girlfriend's mother, who they then stuffed inside a suitcase and hauled out of the hotel: "people are so judgemental smh everyone deserves a second chance. Including u and all ur REDACTED ups. U may not have murdered but u damn sure werent there to see him do it either. And I'm sure u've been forgiven for doing something bad becasue no one is perfect. Not saying he did not saying he didn't., Just Let God be the judge and ur lane..."

The poster was upset that people were disgusted with fund raising efforts for the accused.

I do think this may be generational. It could stem from the trophy generation/self-esteem generation life philosophy. Gross generalization alert but those kids were never ever criticized. They were never told that something they did wasn't perfect. Today, as a result, young people sometimes burst into tears or become outraged if their bosses criticize their work and others feel that none of us are allowed to use our brains to apply logic and, gasp! "judge".

Well, I've survived this long using my brain and I will continue to do so. Even if I am out of date.

I respect your post, gitana1, and also happen to agree with you about the Bali killing, and about both suspects. But I think that maybe it's unfair to classify all of us who are still weighing the evidence in this case as people who are afraid to use our brains. Actually, I think an essential part of using my brain IS weighing the evidence, and not much of that is yet, well, EVIDENT in this particular case. I've often said that I do think there's a good chance this suspect had something to do with Hannah Graham's disappearance, but I'm hoping (possibly when he's bound over for trial) to at least hear something more concrete and inculpatory than his fleeing LE, which one doesn't have to be a lawyer or a psychologist to know obviously can be interpreted as either consciousness of guilt OR as the act of a terrified (and maybe not too bright) man. I enjoy using my brain. That's one of the reasons I come to a sleuthing site when I've got a break from my work, instead of going off to a spa or a shopping mall. If YOU feel there is enough evidence to link this man to such a horrendous crime, then that's fine...for you. I won't judge you for that or say you're not using your brain. It would be nice if you could afford those of us who are still weighing the evidence the same respect.

Oh man...there was a case I was watching on some Discovery ID channel. The perp had been staying in a friends apartment, ended up calling a prostitute from his phone and then murdering the prostitute at some other location. EVERYTHING pointed to his roommate, except for a beer can the LE knew the real perp had brought to the apartment from his own house. They had to track down the manufacturer of the beer can to get the odds of having the same beer there etc. Hard to explain, but it was amazing! The wrong person was very close to getting nailed for the crime.

Did the roommate refuse to speak with police and flee the jurisdiction?

Feeling really sad for Hannah's parents. They want their baby girl.

That hit me hard tonight too. It's a horrible thought, what they are going through. Their precious kid! Their lives are ruined. My heart truly aches for Hannah's family.

I think in cases like this, we tend to look at the perp as either a "violent, predatory creep" or a "generally harmless dope who got in over his head". In fact, I think the line between the two gets very blurry, and I think that's exactly where JM lies. I am now in my mid-twenties and married, but just a few years ago I was just like Hannah, and I encountered many a dude like JM. A few threads back, someone who knew people who worked at UVA hospital said that JM creepily asked them out for drinks and was overly friendly with women who worked there, and another poster stated that they didn't think there was anything creepy about this. When you're 18, 19, 20...a 32-year-old asking you out for drinks is SOOOO CREEPYYYY (snarky emphasis added). But really, think about it.

I had a guy about that age become fascinated with me while I was in college. Beefy military dude, who sold me a ticket to a sold-out concert -- I had connected with him online; turns out we shared a hometown. He texted me and stalked me online for months, and also went out of his way to travel "home" when I was also "home" for the weekend. I had similar situations with a handful of other guys, and guess what? All of these guys were widely regarded as "nice, goofy, sweet", you name it. But my interactions with them got deep enough for me to see that something was wrong; they didn't recognize boundaries that I was clearly setting. JM doesn't have to be either a relentless predator or a lovable dope; he might be somewhere in between, and a perfect storm of specific circumstances may have led to things going terribly wrong with HG. MOO.

Now, I just wish we could use what information we have to come up with ideas as to WHERE HG is...

I can never think of a murderer and rapist as a "generally harmless dope who got in over his head".

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant by "regular guy" is that he does not have the pathology of Ted Bundy.

But I agree that it is not normal to kill someone in any circumstance except self-defense.

Thanks friend! I get ya' now. Whew! I know you and you're a smart poster so I got thrown for a loop!

I don't understand why people think we wont hear about evidence until a trial, and that it is too early. I know many cases where we have heard about evidence, at least enough to make the public understand why an arrest was made. The most recent case I followed in which this happened was probably Jenise Wright. We were told they found bloody and muddy clothes in the perps closet. I don't think people are asking LE to lay out their whole case, just to give us a little more to go on.

Jenise Wright is a rare case. It is quite normal for LE to withhold most evidence. And in every case, people scream about that and believe it means there is no evidence or LE is not doing their job.

Will they have access to his DNA now that he's been arrested?

Yes!!!

Hey. Just saw this in one of the more recent posts. I wish I knew what Jesse Matthew's Facebook page was. If we could find photos of his, we might be able to find places he has been, which might help people figure out places to look for Hannah. I believe since he is a named suspect, finding such things are inline with WS etiquette.

further down, the article says this:
"Matthew, who had a taxi permit from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles from 2007 through 2010, also has several traffic infractions, records show."

So, Matthew had a taxi permit. I believe someone in thread #1 had questions of a taxi cab tie in. Not sure how to link to that, though.

Read more:http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...u-va-student-hannah-graham.html#ixzz3EIkbRxss

It is a truly chilling thought that this guy was a taxi driver. Imagine how much access he had to inebriated women, traveling alone:

Metrorail. Circulator. Capital Bikeshare. Uber.
There are several ways to travel in the District. And on top of that, the city is one of the most walkable in the country.
But during late-night hours, do women – who comprise almost 53 percent of the D.C. population, according to the most recent census, and 55 percent of GW’s student body – feel safe commuting via any of these methods?
To avoid danger, some might see a taxi – which doesn't leave you exposed in the same way waiting alone at a Metro stop does – as the safest option. But earlier this school year, students were notified through a campus-wide alert that a taxi driver allegedly sexually assaulted a female student in his cab near Tompkins Hall, sending the message that an assault can happen anywhere.
I know that a substantial number of my female friends don’t always feel safe moving around campus, an unfortunate reality of living in a large city.
That’s why, for female students looking for a safe traveling alternative, the District should consider an all-female taxi service.
http://www.gwhatchet.com/2014/09/22...le-taxi-service-would-improve-student-safety/

Less than 3 percent of the city's about 115,000 licensed taxi, livery and limousine drivers are women, and that can be a problem for women who are reluctant to get into a cab alone with a male driver because of safety concerns or religious and social mores.
An app called SheTaxi would locate taxis with a woman behind the wheel in New York City, Westchester County and Long Island. The app was scheduled to launch Monday, but its creator, Stella Mateo, has delayed it until she gets more drivers. She estimates around 500 drivers are needed to make it viable.
Mateo said about 100 women have signed up as drivers so far. They will wear pink scarves, making it easy to identify them.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/app-helps-women-nyc-find-taxis-driven-women-25516497

LE is under no obligation to please the hungry news readers , they are putting a criminal case together and trying to find a missing young woman. They are being methodical and deliberate trying to cover ALL THE BASES. The facts will come out eventually at their own pace. For some people to assume that LE is railroading someone because the facts are not being made public is so narrow minded

Thank you. In so many cases we discuss on here, people express outrage that we are not given crucial evidence. We do not have a right to it. LE need to preserve their case. It would be ludicrous to jeopardize a case simply because some members of the public feel they are entitled to know what LE knows.

Pulling up to your outdated table. I assume it is a generational thing as I never heard of it growing up in the eighties. We weren't coddled. If you won the contest you got the trophy. If you lost you got a handshake from the opposing team. You didn't get your own damned trophy.

I think people equate judging with...how do I phrase this.....actual physical acts of aggression. They don't seem to comprehend that one can judge another, even very unfairly, yet not be capable of hurting another person. Thoughts are deeds it seems.

The hypocrisy is whomever accuses another of judging is judging. Pot may I introduce you to kettle.
...or, whoever accuses someone who expresses differing opinions of not using their brain, which is what gitana1 did. Looking as objectively as I can at this board, I see reason and critical thinking in most of the posts, on both sides of the issue.

The victim was a lawyer. JM drove him to the hospital after punching him in the face.

And Jm pulled in front of his vehicle, cutting him off. He then grabbed his cell phone out of his hand and threw it to the ground, after punching him in the face...

Notice they didn't clear JM in any other cases they're looking into? I'd bet the boat that this wasn't a one time thing for this clown.

link Snoods?

"And pulling in front of his vehicle, cutting him off. He then grabbed his cell phone out of his hand and threw it to the ground."

Hi, I've never posted before, but I've been lurking since Sierra Lamar and Mickey Shunick (the latter was apparently good friends with a cousin of mine living in Louisiana). I was just reading Hannah's Twitter and came across this tweet.

"Got an alone drunk girl to a bus tonight #hoosgotyourback"

Oh, Hannah :whine: It's so tragically ironic that someone couldn't do the same for you.

Please forgive me if quoting her Twitter is against the rules or something.

I respect your post, gitana1, and also happen to agree with you about the Bali killing, and about both suspects. But I think that maybe it's unfair to classify all of us who are still weighing the evidence in this case as people who are afraid to use our brains. Actually, I think an essential part of using my brain IS weighing the evidence, and not much of that is yet, well, EVIDENT in this particular case. I've often said that I do think there's a good chance this suspect had something to do with Hannah Graham's disappearance, but I'm hoping (possibly when he's bound over for trial) to at least hear something more concrete and inculpatory than his fleeing LE, which one doesn't have to be a lawyer or a psychologist to know obviously can be interpreted as either consciousness of guilt OR as the act of a terrified (and maybe not too bright) man. I enjoy using my brain. That's one of the reasons I come to a sleuthing site when I've got a break from my work, instead of going off to a spa or a shopping mall. If YOU feel there is enough evidence to link this man to such a horrendous crime, then that's fine...for you. I won't judge you for that or say you're not using your brain. It would be nice if you could afford those of us who are still weighing the evidence the same respect.

Oh, please do not get me wrong. I don't think it's stupid to not be fully committed to guilt. Not at all. I could never say that! I was directly addressing the admonition that we need to "step back" and not judge because there is no way we can, and that it is impossible and wrong to "judge" before we know everything LE knows and I was responding to why many of us do and can, right now, to some degree.

I myself will weigh the evidence. It is absolutely logical and rational to examine the evidence and to not be certain until all is revealed. I'm not 100% certain, yet. But I'd gladly make a bet! Because it is also logical and rational to judge this case now and determine that JM is MORE THAN LIKELY quite guilty of harming Hannah.

I'm so sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member