VA - Meghan Landowski, 16, raped & murdered, Portsmouth, 10 April 2008 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also sort of cringed when I heard the step father found her. How is that for being jaded??? I would hate to be a totally stand-up step father and find my daughter dead, because if LE is anything like us old-timers here at WS's, they would be all over me. I guess it is a bit odd that if it were a boyfriend, neighbor, any acquaintance, that she feard, she would have told who she feard. The whole "I don't want to go home" thing reeks of trouble at home, IMHO. I hope I am wrong, and profusely apologize in advance to any family that I may have wrongly suspected - but you can't blame if if you read here often enough.

Reannan, I hope we are all wrong. Something stinks here, and I wish I knew the cause. Anyone know if step-dad is miltary? It doesnt look or sound like they live in military housing. Maybe her real dad is military? Any locals know that? Obviously, as lizzy just posted, locals have heard, and probably even know the exact truth. She is correct, and I dont blame her, but something big has to be going on for LE not to release any info. Is the town concerned that there may be a killer on the loose or are people confident that it was an isolated incident? Im sorry to sound like I am prying info out of you, and if you dont feel comfortable sharing what you know until released, I understand. If there is anything you can share that has been on your local news, can you post that please? Something HUGE had to make NCIS get involved so fast. I dont think they usually get involved in civilian matters and had to have a strong lead
How does NCIS tie in? I would think that if the jerk who molested her was military, he would prob end up in Leavenworth and they dont give short sentences. Maybe someone has an idea of how long the poss sentence would be if he was military. From what I have heard, they stick pretty close to standards across the line and dont/very rarely make deals.
I hope they release some information in this case. This lil girl has touched my heart. She looks so much like my daughters friend.
Question to any fellow WS'ers: Does it make it hard for you when cases hit close to home and the victims happen to be close in age to your own family? It is getting harder for me each time they hit close to home-I cant imagine. :blowkiss:

Yes, chicogirl, it hits hard. I posted here last night that this murder is less than a mile away from where one of my best friends lives. I live about 35 miles from where this happened. I have a daughter a little older than Meghan.

LE is being very tight lipped about the cause of death.
I am deeply saddened to hear that she was 'afraid' to go home.
I'm wondering if there is an Internet connection.
I get the feeling she was killed by someone she knew.

Yes, chicogirl, it hits hard. I posted here last night that this murder is less than a mile away from where one of my best friends lives. I live about 35 miles from where this happened. I have a daughter a little older than Meghan.

LE is being very tight lipped about the cause of death.
I am deeply saddened to hear that she was 'afraid' to go home.
I'm wondering if there is an Internet connection.
I get the feeling she was killed by someone she knew.

Did your friend know her or her family? This is so hard to let go and not want to hear that someone has been arrested. I live across country, but it feels much closer. That poor baby. I havent heard or seen mom in any articles yet. Has she been in the news?
Is this is a suburb or rural area? It looked like a bunch of different housing developements, mut I may be wrong.
Have they mantioned anything on the local news that we havent posted yet? TIA philamena, I appreciate your response. :)

I found this comment @ Wavy tv in Norfolk. I don't know what earlier article they are reffering to, I have been trying to locate it to see If I can verify that she had been stabbed.

ivory08
Portsmouth, VA

This is very tragic, and on another blog there were comments from her classmates stating that they think the person who did it was someone who molested/raped her last year... if thats the case, Im wondering if the police have followed that lead, to try and find that individual since he must've been released from jail.
To Lynne: if you read the whole article, you would have seen that her step father didnt come home until hours later and found her..it was like 4oclock. They also stated in an earlier article that she was stabbed, so they do know how she died.

That post by ivory above is from Topix.net
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/wavy/TKSO7DVDLQ1IDV0JA#c6
Someone may just be trying to stir the pot up. There's another one, this one down towards the bottom that says she was supposed to testify against someone and that is why she was scared; posted by William B frm Portsmouth. It is clear that many of the posters were friends or classmates of Meghan's. Also anyone could post on there.

Meow,
I could be wrong but I honestly don't think the step-dad was involved. There was a neighbor that said he saw him come home around four and then the police were there in minutes. Of course, with so little information being released you never know.

I don't think the community needs to be too worried about a random killer in the neighborhood. Like I posted before it sounds like it was personal.

As far as the Navy guy, if the assault happened at the end of last year and he hadn't been convicted yet wouldn't he still be considered active military, not in jail yet? Able to come and go.

I thought I heard when the story first came out that the reporters were saying something about myspace. Maybe someone on myspace had threatened her.

I so wish that they would find whoever is responsible.

I also read on another board that the family, naturally, isn't staying in the home (I would think they will sell asap). They have set up a fund at SunTrust bank to help them with hotel costs. I don't have the exact link and I'm not sure if it's okay to post it.

If anyone is interesting in helping out they can google her name and several sites link to that one.

Someone asked about the neighborhood. It's an older suburban neighborhood. I think I had posted before that a lot of the adults raising families there also grew up there. There's a sense of community. There are several old neighborhoods like that around the same area. Meghan lived in Simonsdale and there's another neighborhood minutes away called Park Manor.

While the homes are old, people fix them up and take care of them. If you saw a picture of Meghan's house on the news video you'll see what I mean. It's very quiet as far as crime around there. The most you might hear of is vandalism.

Lizzybeth, i wasn't meaning that it was the stepfather; i was trying to point out that people were just trying to stir up the pot and that anyone could post on there; so they could just say anything. A majority of the posts seem to be from peers of Meghan. The post by the William B frm Portsmouth seemed to say she had to testify against someone and was nervous. If it is true and she had to testify, i wonder if the person was threatening her or had done so recently and that is why she was nervous? If it is the case, and she was aware of that she had to testify, then what triggered her to be nervous right before she died? I'm wondering how she knew something was going to happen; i would think if she was being threatened she'd have to alert authorities. Did someone threaten her while she was at school? Did she have a cell phone someone could have called to threaten her?

I just read on a topix forum that she was due to testify against the man the following day, and didnt want to/ was nervous. It also states that man who molested her was a friend of dads? Now, does anyone know if we are talking dad or STEP dad? I hope we are wrong, but unfortunately too many times, its the STEP father who did it or had something to do with these poor children's demise. My hinky meter always goes up when the step is the first one to find the body, and mom isnt plastered in the news pleeing for a killer to confess.

Hoping Im wrong, but where is she??

in the comments after an article on wavy tv 10 in norfork , there are several references to this being a revenge killing by a guy who had recently been released from jail for molesting this same girl last year. that must be who the cops were questioning immediately after the murder was discovered.

Can anyone post this article referred to above?

Lizzybeth, i wasn't meaning that it was the stepfather; i was trying to point out that people were just trying to stir up the pot and that anyone could post on there; so they could just say anything. A majority of the posts seem to be from peers of Meghan. The post by the William B frm Portsmouth seemed to say she had to testify against someone and was nervous. If it is true and she had to testify, i wonder if the person was threatening her or had done so recently and that is why she was nervous? If it is the case, and she was aware of that she had to testify, then what triggered her to be nervous right before she died? I'm wondering how she knew something was going to happen; i would think if she was being threatened she'd have to alert authorities. Did someone threaten her while she was at school? Did she have a cell phone someone could have called to threaten her?

I agree 100% with your post Meow- That poor baby must have been scared to death since she was telling multiple people that she was scared? Was her molestation trial a secret (which often is to protect privacy) and her friends didnt know WHY she was so nervous? I cant imagine the girls her age not being compassionate enough to take her home if she was scared. My daughter is exactly her age and her and her peers would be holding her hand if that was the case, so I dont understand.

Is anyone able to confirm the man picked up to question by NCIS is indeed the man she accused of molesting her last year?

Because of the perpetuation of the snitch culture, there is an epidemic of witnesses being murdered. My guess the person who was going on trial is the most likely suspect here. He either did it himself or hired someone to.

There's a couple things that bother me. I read she stated that she did not want to go home, but I think from what I read it was more that she did not want to be alone. The fact that NCIS picked up (if it's him) the alleged molester, it has to be an active case, or LE would have assumed jurisdiction as to the murder. I am not a JAG, or fluent in military law, but I would guess you could assume that they work similar to a DA, in that just because a witness is no longer available, it would not necessarily result in a dismissed case. As a matter of fact, her deposition would suffice, especially in light of the fact that she was a minor and her testimony due to the nature of the crime would be sealed anyway.

I have been reading so many forums on the links at google, my head is spinning- but the info I am reading from her friends is a lil different than this board has been thinking so far. We have been on the right track in some aspects, and then some, Im not so sure- there are a lot of pieces to this. It could all be speculation, but this is what I have read so far:
1. She was begging to go to diff. friend's houses and not have them come home with her- I would think that she was scared because either someone threatened her, or knew where to find her
2. The man she was afraid of is a friend of her REAL/ bio dad.
3. The man who molested previously was due to be released that very day and was a former marine. (The only prob I have with this theory is the next one)
4. She was due to testify against one of her bio dad's in a molestation trial involving the 2 of them the following day.
5. It wasn't step-dad who killed her. He was a very kind and nice man.
6. Everyone is tight lipped about this because LE is trying to piece it together.

Although I would like to know what happened to this young girl, I respect the fact that the details and rumors can be key to solving this case. I do have to say that across the board, everyone has kept quiet and not spread too many rumors. They are generally the same story as posted above. I have read so many reports, but keep getting conflicting reports. They have her posted on DD also.
I keep hearing either he was released that day, or shut her up for the pending day's trial. Anyone know for a fact which one is true?

C-
good work-
but to clarify, are you saying that the man who molested her is a marine, a friend of her real bio dad, was incarcerated until recently as a result of that molestation? And.. that she was either due to testify against both her bio dad and this same perp in a seperate molestation trial the next day? If NCIS picked him up, the case would be in military court, not necessarily in the news and even if it were she would not have been named. The police might not have reported it and handed it right to NCIS for the first molestation.

Keep in mind, with this being as tight lipped, they are probably watching bio dad and this guy waiting for them to slip up

C-
good work-
but to clarify, are you saying that the man who molested her is a marine, a friend of her real bio dad, was incarcerated until recently as a result of that molestation? And.. that she was either due to testify against both her bio dad and this same perp in a seperate molestation trial the next day? If NCIS picked him up, the case would be in military court, not necessarily in the news and even if it were she would not have been named. The police might not have reported it and handed it right to NCIS for the first molestation.

Keep in mind, with this being as tight lipped, they are probably watching bio dad and this guy waiting for them to slip up

Blink, Im sure your last quote is absolutely true!!

Just to clarify, I am reading 2 different rumors on these boards- I spent about 2 hours this am reading different forums and the rumors are either of the two stories:

1. The man who molested her was released that day and hunted her down in revenge for testifying. This is the one I am hearing the most of. This would also explain NCIS being involved since he was just released? I dont even know if it is true about his release, as I have only read it in forums. He would be pretty dumb to do that also. I cant imagine it happening, but you never know.

2. She was due to testify the following day against her bio-dad's friend (also ex-Marine). Maybe she had been threatened to keep her mouth shut and was scared to be alone? She didnt want to go to her house. She was asking people to go home with them, and usually she wanted people to go home with her. I dont know if she was nervous in the past, or just that day. If this scenario is true, Im sure her closet friends knew she had court the next day and she was scared to be alone.

To clarify also- The step dad is NOT considered a suspect at ALL!! From what I hear, mom and step-dad are very nice people and NOT involved in any way. Im glad to hear that. I apologize to him if he ever reads this for my doubting of him. Of course we wont know for sure until the whole story is out, but often times we are correct in rushing to judgement. I hope this is true, as it would be nice to hear she had someone as nice as he sounds in her life with everything that has happened to her.

The perp is also rumered to be a friend of bio-dad. Not sure if bio-dad is military yet.

The odd part of this is NCIS' involvement. Since she is a civilian, wouldn't local LE pick up the case? Im not an expert on miltary law by any means. Something had to make them JUMP to send their version of SWAT on the perp's house. They dont do that kind of stuff unless they have a really good reason to. IMO

Blink, Im sure your last quote is absolutely true!!

Just to clarify, I am reading 2 different rumors on these boards- I spent about 2 hours this am reading different forums and the rumors are either of the two stories:

1. The man who molested her was released that day and hunted her down in revenge for testifying. This is the one I am hearing the most of. This would also explain NCIS being involved since he was just released? I dont even know if it is true about his release, as I have only read it in forums. He would be pretty dumb to do that also. I cant imagine it happening, but you never know.

2. She was due to testify the following day against her bio-dad's friend (also ex-Marine). Maybe she had been threatened to keep her mouth shut and was scared to be alone? She didnt want to go to her house. She was asking people to go home with them, and usually she wanted people to go home with her. I dont know if she was nervous in the past, or just that day. If this scenario is true, Im sure her closet friends knew she had court the next day and she was scared to be alone.

To clarify also- The step dad is NOT considered a suspect at ALL!! From what I hear, mom and step-dad are very nice people and NOT involved in any way. Im glad to hear that. I apologize to him if he ever reads this for my doubting of him. Of course we wont know for sure until the whole story is out, but often times we are correct in rushing to judgement. I hope this is true, as it would be nice to hear she had someone as nice as he sounds in her life with everything that has happened to her.

The perp is also rumered to be a friend of bio-dad. Not sure if bio-dad is military yet.

The odd part of this is NCIS' involvement. Since she is a civilian, wouldn't local LE pick up the case? Im not an expert on miltary law by any means. Something had to make them JUMP to send their version of SWAT on the perp's house. They dont do that kind of stuff unless they have a really good reason to. IMO

Not to be disrespectful to the actual situation - I wish Gibbs were on this case - although Chicogirl, your research is fabulous. Thanks for the recap of the important points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member