Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the area like where the purse was dropped (ie: dark/no lights, next to busy road, distance from other buildings etc.)? Hang on, trying to find info on exact location!

** purse and cell phone were found in the parking lot between JPJ and the athletic fields

secret agent mom The area around the sport fields if at all possible around the arena. If you can show how far away the parking lot for events from the sport fields. That could show us how far visually where her purse & cell were found away from the parking lot. If that makes any sense to you!

ITA: With MBLover I hope you're not alone! :hug:

Please Be Careful secret agent mom! :blowkiss:

:angel:

Wow, you guys are hard to keep up with! But, I've finally read through all of the postings in both threads. This case "got" to me because I have two sisters a few years younger than me, who are both around Morgan's age. They are both hard-working, good girls, but they have their secrets too, like I believe Morgan does, and like everyone does.

I want to have hope that Morgan is alive, but I really don't have a good feeling about this. Everything I've read about her seems to indicate that, like someone mentioned above, she would have at least called/texted/e-mailed a member of her family or a friend by now, if nothing else than to say "I'm alive. Please, just give me some time." Because she hasn't done this, I feel she is either not alive (sadly), incapacitated/being held against her will, or has been taken out of the area, if not the country.

We know. according to the above articles, that she got separated from her friends while going to use the bathroom. The next sightings of her indicate an individual who was clearly under the influence of...something. Drugs (whether she intentionally took them or not), alcohol, or extreme emotional distress, for whatever reason. People have stated they saw her stumbling around the parking lot, dropping her purse. Another couple said they tried to joke around with her on the steps of the arena and she told them to "f*%$ off", which definitely doesn't sound like something Morgan would normally do based on everything I've read about her. Either this girl was leading an extremely well concealed secret life/had a side to her that NO ONE had seen (or will admit to having seen), or she had taken/ingested something or something had happened to her to make her act like this. Unfortunately, I think that while in her vulnerable state she ran into the wrong person. For some reason I can't articulate, I don't feel this was a person she had a pre-planned meeting with, but rather a stranger she ran into at the wrong time. I guess I feel that if it was someone whom she had a pre-planned meeting with, LE would have already determined who this was through cell phone or computer records, and we would have knowledge by now that this person had been questioned. That's why I feel that the evidence points toward a stranger/predator; these people ARE like animals in that they're drawn to those in distress/out of their comfort zone/in a state of vulnerability like Morgan clearly was. In other words, the weakest of the pack, even if just at that moment.

Like I said, I want to believe that this beautiful girl is alive and well and just hiding out, but I just think the evidence points in the other direction at this point. And unfortunately, I also feel that this predator took her out of the Charlottesville area. Really hoping that I am proven wrong.

What is the area like where the purse was dropped (ie: dark/no lights, next to busy road, distance from other buildings etc.)? Hang on, trying to find info on exact location!

It is so dark! I took lots of pics to show just how dark it is. It is not very populated near the back of the arena. It is 60 and cold! I can't imagine being outside on Saturday when it was 40 or so. She had to be cold. We didn't see any LE or searching. It was very empty.

I'm with a friend so no worries. :) we have seen lots o girls walking alone tho. That scares me. We logged the mileage from where we think the purse was to the arena at about .4 miles. The lots was suronded by dense brush and woods.

I know there has been alot of discussion about the "friends." I have to agree with most, that leaving Morgan behind in a town two hours from her home, not knowing who she was with or what she was doing, is bizarre. I wouldn't even leave an acquaintance/someone I had just ridden to the concert with, behind like that, at least not in the dead of night. I wouldn't leave that town without my friend, and if her cell phone kept going to voicemail, I'd somehow get in touch with one of her family members back home, to let them know what was going on. These girls didn't even call Morgan's family the next day...it was her dad who reported her missing after she didn't show up for the study session! Either these "friends" aren't really friends/don't care about Morgan, or teenagers in general today are completely self-centered and only interested in looking out out for numero uno. Either way, a very sad state of affairs.

Ooooh, Secret Agent Mom, can't wait to see your pictures! You're doing an amazing thing for Morgan and all of us at WS by going out there. Thanks so much, and be careful! I'm really curious to see a picture of what's beyond the parking lots, as well as a picture of the railroad tracks where Morgan's jacket was reportedly found.

Secret Agent Mom,

How far away from the parking lots are other buildings? Do you see any students milling around anywhere? Perhaps if Morgan saw people hanging out/heavily trafficked area not too far away, she could have walked towards them just so she didn't have to hang out by self in dark you know?

Can you see any dorms/classroom buildings/businesses from the area around arena AT ALL? Or just fields and p. lots?

ALSO, have you seen any missing posters anywhere? Or any indication there is a command post nearby etc.?

Having trouble quoting using the phone so bear with me. We haven't seen any posters or any indication that someone is missing. There are parking lots directly beside the arena. We were told they are pay parking lots or events so were not sure if they were parked there. The furthest lots was about .7 miles away. We an see light for a soccer field from the arena and we hear students. We are looking for the railroad tracks now.

Secret Agent Mom,

If you run into any students, ask them if they know about Morgan, heard anything about the case? Community can be a good barometer for how much or how little the local LE is doing...I'd be interested to see how involved or uninvolved the UVA campus is, considering this is not one of their students. The lack of missing persons posters is troubling to say the least. Also, sometimes rumors and gossip travel quickly on a college campus, especially when it involves a high profile issue for college students (ex: frat house kicked off campus etc.) It doesn't seem like Morgan's predicament has changed much mentality there if girls are still walking around alone at night in the dark--I know I wouldn't be walking around that area anytime soon by myself! But anyway, it would be interesting to see if the students had heard anything that was not mentioned on here/from LE etc...for example the jacket by the tracks comment that was posted. See if you see any posters around the campus anywhere, like on bulletin boards or dorm doors etc. I'm not sure of UVA's layout or what not so this may not be possible. This case has slowly been losing steam on national tv as far as coverage is concerned...do you think that's the case at UVA? Maybe you can get a feel if the case has "left the area" so to speak and moved onto other possibilities (Morgan was taken off campus somewhere etc.).

Thanks again for all your hard work!!! This is a great help to all of us armchair detectives out here!

If you stand in front of the JPJ, the railroad tracks are about a third of a mile to your left on the other side of the round (clam shaped building and another building.

To the left side of the soccor/lacrosse field is the baseball stadium, the railroad is on the far side of the baseball field. There is a small parking lot near the baseball field which is where I believe they found the purse, past the track.

It hasn't been explained, but my guess would be that one of the other girls was the designated driver for the night and Morgan was planning to party. Maybe Morgan had the largest car and could fit the most people, maybe the other girls didn't have a car so they had to drive hers down there? Who knows, but my guess would be that someone else was the DD so that person had the keys.

It's weird because this question leads me to believe that maybe they thought she was leaving with someone else. Do the friends say if she was waiting on anyone? Although there could have been a DD who had the keys.
Also I thought about how her attitude was at that time, (someone saying she said off to them) if that's the case it could have very well been someone that she just ran into and they had an altercation and she possibly cursed at him which would probably lead to some crazy man going nutty.

To me it's hard to really say what I believe because some things lead me to believe that she had a b/f who she was waiting for and the other things leads me to believe it was an abduction by a total stranger. Either way, it's very confusing.

I'm in Charlottesville now taking pics and looking around. Anywhere you guys want me to go?

If you are out there during the day, check to see what resources are being used for the search ... THANKS!

I find it very upsetting that there are no missing person posters hanging in the EXACT location where Morgan was last seen. IMO the entire area should be blanketed with them. Locals need to be keeping an eye out for her. They need to see her face and read descriptions of her clothing in case they find anything. I'm just astounded that there are no posters there, at least on power poles in front of the area so that people in their cars see them.

It's weird because this question leads me to believe that maybe they thought she was leaving with someone else. Do the friends say if she was waiting on anyone? Although there could have been a DD who had the keys.
Also I thought about how her attitude was at that time, (someone saying she said off to them) if that's the case it could have very well been someone that she just ran into and they had an altercation and she possibly cursed at him which would probably lead to some crazy man going nutty.

To me it's hard to really say what I believe because some things lead me to believe that she had a b/f who she was waiting for and the other things leads me to believe it was an abduction by a total stranger. Either way, it's very confusing.

The factoids are beginning to add some context. Even if one discounts some of the reports, Morgan's situation was more vulnerable than we first believed:

1: Stumbling, dropping her purse.
2: Agitated, hostile.
3. One report of a verbal/physical altercation, another of her face having
been "hit".

As you noted, her attitude greatly increases her chances of an unfortunate random encounter, f-off not being the riposte of choice for a smooth evening.

Perhaps her battery being out is not directly sinister; it fell out as she dropped it and/or her purse and she continued to carry the batteryless phone until she lost her purse altogether. If incommunicado with her friends due to her battery lost right after her purported I'll-find-a-ride call, and somewhat disoriented and hostile/agitated while wandering toward the brush and woods-bordered parking lot areas (thanks secret agent mom), she was a set-up for an opportunistic predator. This scenario makes LE's job magnitudes more difficult.

petresq_algc and West: Yes this is rapidly going cold, not a good sign.

C6

Police don't seem to think the fighting rumours are true for some reason...http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local...etting_calls_in_morgan_harrington_case/57086/

"State Police could not confirm for us the woman actually called, because they don’t want to waste precious time in the investigation sorting through the numerous tips that have already been investigated. They did tell us they have no reason to believe Morgan was in a fight outside the arena.
Also, the FBI has joined the case. Investigators say the FBI offering help is typical in cases like this
."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/223693

Investigators trying to find Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington said their scrutiny of surveillance video from the area around the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville -- where the 20-year-old disappeared -- has ended in frustration.

The footage has not yielded any clues to the Roanoke County woman's disappearance, said Corinne Geller, spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police.

"We've looked at all the surveillance video -- gas stations, convenience stores, ATMs -- any camera in that immediate area has been looked at," Geller said. "Nothing in the videos is relevant to the case."

Meanwhile, the FBI has joined the investigation.

(more on article at above link)

The factoids are beginning to add some context. Even if one discounts some of the reports, Morgan's situation was more vulnerable than we first believed:

1: Stumbling, dropping her purse.
2: Agitated, hostile.
3. One report of a verbal/physical altercation, another of her face having
been "hit".

As you noted, her attitude greatly increases her chances of an unfortunate random encounter, f-off not being the riposte of choice for a smooth evening.

Perhaps her battery being out is not directly sinister; it fell out as she dropped it and/or her purse and she continued to carry the batteryless phone until she lost her purse altogether. If incommunicado with her friends due to her battery lost right after her purported I'll-find-a-ride call, and somewhat disoriented and hostile/agitated while wandering toward the brush and woods-bordered parking lot areas (thanks secret agent mom), she was a set-up for an opportunistic predator. This scenario makes LE's job magnitudes more difficult.

petresq_algc and West: Yes this is rapidly going cold, not a good sign.

C6

but... if this was a random or opportunistic grab, rape, & murder - the body is usually discarded by the perp ASAP openly somewhere - and no body has been found yet.

Could be either really, stranger abduction and nobody has stumbled upon her yet or Acquaintance/Boyfriend who took the time to hide her body.

Sorry to be thinking so pessimistically, and all is JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member