VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember thinking I knew it all, and I had all the answers when I was a teen. If my 40-ish self could have let my teen self know what I know now...

I don't have a good feeling about this one. Blacksburg is fairly close to me and the (working on ex) husband lives & works there. It's so cold here now with more snow in the forecast tonight. The Minions throw is not sufficient to protect her from the cold if she's hiding out. That's a big if though because that teen FB page makes me really uneasy. I get the impression that Nichole was a little girl playing grown up and it may have cost her more than she ever expected.

I also don't have a good feeling about this one. Hope that I'm proved wrong.

I hope that some of her friends know something and are questioned by LE. They must be understanding how serious the situation is.

I don't have a good feeling about this one. Blacksburg is fairly close to me and the (working on ex) husband lives & works there. It's so cold here now with more snow in the forecast tonight. The Minions throw is not sufficient to protect her from the cold if she's hiding out. That's a big if though because that teen FB page makes me really uneasy. I get the impression that Nichole was a little girl playing grown up and it may have cost her more than she ever expected.

Well, I'm pretty certain she didn't go out her bedroom window to wander around in the streets and the inclement weather, though. I think it's most probable a man was waiting for her, and took her once she went out her window to meet him. It would certainly be more hopeful if she weren't without her medication. Often these cases resolve with the girl being found unharmed (except statutory rape) because they are willing to be with the guy. In her case, time is ticking away.

She must know and not care?
Could she have been squirreling away meds on the sly?

I'll say what is hard to say. Girls who our culture deems "beautiful" are not very susceptible to being infatuated by the attention of male predators. Girls who are deemed "beautiful" are more likely to be violently snatched away against their wills, but less likely to believe and fall for the attentions of predators who want to charm them and then abduct them. I think this dear girl was a sitting duck, and hopefully she will be found before she more seriously harmed.

I'll say what is hard to say. Girls who our culture deems "beautiful" are not very susceptible to being infatuated by the attention of male predators. Girls who are deemed "beautiful" are more likely to be violently snatched away against their wills, but less likely to believe and fall for the attentions of predators who want to charm them and then abduct them. I think this dear girl was a sitting duck, and hopefully she will be found before she more seriously harmed.

This is dangerous and offensive all in one.

What's the dating site ppl are referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the dating site ppl are referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is called Teen Dating and Flirting. If you search Nicole's FB profile and "nah" her post will come right up.

Good thought. I hope she did. Parents should check the bottles.

That is a good suggestion. Again, from one of the articles, it said the family member went to give her the medicine that morning and discoveried her door blocked. From that statement, it sounds like she did not have control of her medicine.

As crucial as her medicine is, I doubt I would turn it over to a 13 year old and depend on her taking it. At that age, they are a child one second and grown up the next second.

I remember thinking I knew it all, and I had all the answers when I was a teen. If my 40-ish self could have let my teen self know what I know now...

And THAT is why these girls are vulnerable to predators. Teenagers tend to believe they know it all and think they're invincible. They're also insecure and for good reason when you consider their hormones and the stress they put on themselves to be "perfect". Read the 300+ comments on the picture that Nicole posted. Many of the comments are downright cruel, not because Nicole isn't cute (she is) but simply because teenagers are often cruel. It's all too easy for a predator to swoop in and be the knight in shining armor when kids are ripping each other apart for giggles and coolness points.

Was Nicole more vulnerable than other girls her age? Maybe. It's possible that her surgery scars and youthful appearance made her more insecure (many adult women feel exactly the same about c section scars or stretch marks) but it is also possible that surviving everything that she had made her feel even braver and more invincible. Whether it was insecurity or bravado it seems likely that she made a very dangerous decision. I just hope that it wasn't a deadly one.

*Not directed at you, just going off your post.

That is a good suggestion. Again, from one of the articles, it said the family member went to give her the medicine that morning and discoveried her door blocked. From that statement, it sounds like she did not have control of her medicine.

As crucial as her medicine is, I doubt I would turn it over to a 13 year old and depend on her taking it. At that age, they are a child one second and grown up the next second.

You're right, a teenager should still be supervised to take her meds, but she might have had access to the bottle, meaning it wasn't locked away, and took some tablets with her.

And THAT is why these girls are vulnerable to predators. Teenagers tend to believe they know it all and think they're invincible. They're also insecure and for good reason when you consider their hormones and the stress they put on themselves to be "perfect". Read the 300+ comments on the picture that Nicole posted. Many of the comments are downright cruel, not because Nicole isn't cute (she is) but simply because teenagers are often cruel. It's all too easy for a predator to swoop in and be the knight in shining armor when kids are ripping each other apart for giggles and coolness points.

Was Nicole more vulnerable than other girls her age? Maybe. It's possible that her surgery scars and youthful appearance made her more insecure (many adult women feel exactly the same about c section scars or stretch marks) but it is also possible that surviving everything that she had made her feel even braver and more invincible. Whether it was insecurity or bravado it seems likely that she made a very dangerous decision. I just hope that it wasn't a deadly one.

*Not directed at you, just going off your post.

More than a healthy child she might have felt that because of her childhood health issues it was time for her to do something independently from her parents, feel free, enjoy life, etc. prove to herself and others that she's fine.

Like you, I hope this wasn't a deadly decision.

No news at all? Are searches going on?

More than a healthy child she might have felt that because of her childhood health issues it was time for her to do something independently from her parents, feel free, enjoy life, etc. prove to herself and others that she's fine.

Like you, I hope this wasn't a deadly decision.

No news at all? Are searches going on?

According to my husband and a friend's son that attends college in Blacksburg if there are searches going on there have been no announcements or requests for volunteers. This is the last news article I ran across but it is mostly a rehash of things we have heard before.
http://www.wvva.com/story/31083322/...m_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WVVA_News

I don't think she is voluntarily missing anymore. At 13 years she must understand that she could die if she doesn't take her medication. I think she is either held, or worse :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA