GUILTY VT - Robert Schreiner, 78, beaten to death, West Townshend, 2 June 2004

well sentencing in this case this week. i am hoping that CTV will televise it. this is one case that really drew me in....i guess because of the age of the perp.

izzyB said:
well sentencing in this case this week. i am hoping that CTV will televise it. this is one case that really drew me in....i guess because of the age of the perp.
Hey IzzyB,
Well guess what!
Right before she is to be sentenced,it gets cancelled.:rolleyes:
Here is the news link.
Part of the article that was aired on 6/6/06;
BRATTLEBORO, Vt. -- A sentencing hearing for an elderly woman convicted of killing her husband two years ago has been canceled so her defense attorneys can use a new state law to ask for a shorter sentence.

It is expected a new jury will be called to impose the sentence on Hope Schreiner.

dark_shadows said:
IzzyB,

I will keep you updated on this.

thanks dark_shadows!! what would i do without you!! :blowkiss:

i had already planned my whole week so i could be in front of the TV on the 8th in case CTV decided to cover this, and now i find i have a free day!...not really.

i have not yet read the link you provided and plan to do that now. have a great day bad again thanks for thinking of me and this case! hugs, izzyB

izzyB said:
thanks dark_shadows!! what would i do without you!! :blowkiss:

i had already planned my whole week so i could be in front of the TV on the 8th in case CTV decided to cover this, and now i find i have a free day!...not really.

i have not yet read the link you provided and plan to do that now. have a great day bad again thanks for thinking of me and this case! hugs, izzyB
Hey IzzyB,
I appreciate you.:blowkiss:
I will always keep you updated on this case.Enjoy the free day!I knew that you were waiting for this case to appear on Court TV and I did not want you to tune in and wonder why it was not being shown.
Hugs and Respect,
dark_shadows

Hey IzzyB,

Here is another update for you;

BRATTLEBORO, Vt. -- Lawyers for an elderly woman convicted in March of killing her husband want off the case because they haven't been paid in full, but the judge has told them they can't quit until a new lawyer is found.

Harris argued, "She wants us out of the case," asserted Harris. "We are not able to continue to represent her. We can't continue in a relationship where we're not wanted."

thanks for this update dark_shawdows.

you know, at the time several of the talking heads on CTV commented that the defense was not doing a very good job, particularly with the prosecution witnesses. very little cross-examination and no challenges with objections, etc. so this does not surprise me really.

at the time several were surprised b/c one of hope's son is an attorney and it was felt that some big name defense attorney could get enough reasonable doubt that the jury could not convict. just the timeline alone. although her "confessions" were pretty damning IMHO.

i'll bet at this point she is trying any tactic to avoid getting sentenced to prison for who knows how long.

izzyB said:
thanks for this update dark_shawdows.

you know, at the time several of the talking heads on CTV commented that the defense was not doing a very good job, particularly with the prosecution witnesses. very little cross-examination and no challenges with objections, etc. so this does not surprise me really.

at the time several were surprised b/c one of hope's son is an attorney and it was felt that some big name defense attorney could get enough reasonable doubt that the jury could not convict. just the timeline alone. although her "confessions" were pretty damning IMHO.

i'll bet at this point she is trying any tactic to avoid getting sentenced to prison for who knows how long.
Interesting developments! I too think that old Hope is just trying to stay out of prison a little longer. She is a manipulator and I'm sure her son the lawyer is part of the scam.

news link

Burlington, Vermont - June 20, 2006

Convicted killers will get longer prison sentences in Vermont thanks to a law enacted after a sentence was shortened for a four-time killer.

Second: the Vermont Supreme Court ruling meant that a handful of convicted killers such as Hope Schreiner would have the right to be sentenced by a jury rather than a judge. In 2004 a jury found her guilty of the second-degree murder of her husband. She is now awaiting sentencing and will automatically get 20 years to life if sentenced by a judge. But she has chosen to be re-tried and sentenced by a jury-- gambling that the jurors will have mercy and give her a shorter sentence.

hi dark_shadows: thanks for posting this, as always you are on the ball with this case. :D

but i do have a question which i think is a typo in the article, which says a jury found in guilty in 2004, but it was this year right, 2006?

izzyB said:
hi dark_shadows: thanks for posting this, as always you are on the ball with this case. :D

but i do have a question which i think is a typo in the article, which says a jury found in guilty in 2004, but it was this year right, 2006?
Hi ya Izzy :) ,
Her husband was murdered june 2nd of 2004.
She was found guilty on march 24th,2006
date of conviction link

dark_shadows said:
Hi ya Izzy :) ,
Her husband was murdered june 2nd of 2004.
She was found guilty on march 24th,2006
date of conviction link

thanks dark_shadow, again!! i had a feeling it was a typ-o. sometimes CTV does air an old case, but i had been convinced this case was aired live, and it was.

Hey Izzy:) ,

Here is an old article for you to read;

news link
In addition to that, the evidence suggests there was a prior attempt to murder her husband and this was a thought process she engaged in for some time prior to his death on the second of June."

Much Respect to you,
dark_shadows

hello dark_shadows! thank you for this link. i will take a peek after breakfast. not surprised that she had thought about this for awhile. izzyB

I will post more if I hear anything Izzy.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
I will post more if I hear anything Izzy.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hello Friend!! thank you for posting this article, which i will read in a short while.

i have been busy reading about scams and what ms. sheila wrote about them over on the winkler thread, as today mr. izzyB came home with a letter saying he had won millions of $$ in the European Lottery, and a fake check, that looks real, from Circuit City, saying that that check will pay part of the transfer fee or some such thing....i do not have the letter in front of me at the moment.

anyway, i am trying to find out if i should go to the police or notify Circuit City. but i was just thinking about hope earlier today....how about that for timing....and i will read as soon as i have figured out what i need to do to report these scammers.

(((hugs to you))) izzyB :blowkiss:

Hello Izzy,:blowkiss:

Here is an update for ya.
news link
The sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin October 9th.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Hello Izzy,:blowkiss:

Here is an update for ya.
news link
The sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin October 9th.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

thanks for the update! i hope they will have it on CTV, as they recently did a re-play of her trial. hugs, izzyB

Izzy my friend,:blowkiss:
Here is another article for you;
Woman convicted in husband's beating death to be sentenced
"This court has already ruled unequivocally that the defendant's new 'evidence' is grossly speculative and not the basis for a new trial," he wrote.

Schreiner's lawyer has asked the court to dismiss the mitigating factors presented by the prosecution.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther