GUILTY VT - Robert Schreiner, 78, beaten to death, West Townshend, 2 June 2004

hi dark_shadows. my 'puter has been on the blink and i have had to use mr. izzyB's so my posting time has been at a minimum. thanks for these updates about the schreiner case. i hope CTV covers this, but i have noticed there have been several trials they covered live, like hope's but unlike the old days, they do not cover the sentencing. CTV is under some kind of new ownership/management and things have changed over there. so i appreciate your staying on top of things. hope you have a safe day today. love, izzyB

izzyB said:
hi dark_shadows. my 'puter has been on the blink and i have had to use mr. izzyB's so my posting time has been at a minimum. thanks for these updates about the schreiner case. i hope CTV covers this, but i have noticed there have been several trials they covered live, like hope's but unlike the old days, they do not cover the sentencing. CTV is under some kind of new ownership/management and things have changed over there. so i appreciate your staying on top of things. hope you have a safe day today. love, izzyB
Hello Izzy,:)
Thank-you for your post and thanks also for the safe day thought.It means alot.
I will keep you updated.
Love and Respect,
dark_shadows

Killer ordered to pay lawyers

NEWFANE — A county court judge last week ordered Hope Schreiner, convicted in March of killing her husband of 43 years, to pay her two former defense attorneys more than $16,000 in unpaid legal bills, according to court documents.

On Sept. 20, Windham County Superior Court Judge John Wesley ordered the former West Townshend woman to pay $16,629.05 to Gwendolyn Harris and Margot Stone, the Brattleboro attorneys who represented her from her arrest in June 2004 to the end of her trial in 2006.

Harris and Stone withdrew as Schreiner's attorneys in June, citing disagreements in pay. They sued Schreiner on July 26 for the unpaid attorney fees, according to documents filed at the county courthouse in Newfane.

you know, this does not seem like a lot of $$$, considering attornies fees these days, for the 2 attornies who spent a week in court, not to mention the before hand work! i am glad she has to pay them, don't get me wrong, but i am surprised the figure is not in the high 5 figures, like $50K.

by the same token, i remember at the time that a lot of the analysts on CTV were complaining about the defense attornies not making more objections during the prosecution case, etc.

so maybe they agreed to settle for pennies on the dollar, and then did not even pay that. anyway, these ladies deserve to be paid something for their services.

My dear friend Izzy,:blowkiss:
Here is the latest;

36} SCHREINER_VO A West Townshend woman convicted of murdering her 78-year-old husband has reached a sentencing agreement with the state. Hope Schreiner was convicted in March in the bludgeoning death of Robert Schreiner. Her sentencing trial was scheduled to start next week -- but now her lawyer and the prosecutor have agreed to a sentence of 17 years to life in prison. A judge still must approve the deal.
news scripts #36
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

HELLO dark_shadows!! thank you for posting this, and all the work you have done to keep me and others here at WS abreast on this case. so with this deal she avoids another round on CTV. with her age this is essentially a death sentence. i may hop over to the CTV message board. during the trial some of his relatives said they would post after she was sentenced.

let me know if you run in to her in your work in LE. why she had to do this to him, when she had it all anyway, it is just too much to comprehend!

think about you every time i read your posts on various threads and always say a little arrow prayer that you are staying safe. :blowkiss: izzy

Dear friend Izzy,:blowkiss:

Today Hope was sentenced 17 years to life.
Here are the transcripts fron this evening;
link

9} SCHREINER2_TAG the 17 year to life sentence means that Schreiner will not be eligible for parole until she is 90-years-old. Marselis? Adam-- can the defense appeal the sentence?. Actually, no. Because the sentence was agreed to last week by the defense, they can not appeal the sentence. Scheiner's lawyer did say that he does, however plan to appeal the murder conviction. Marselis.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Here is another article for you;
link
BRATTLEBORO -- A judge approved a sentencing deal for Hope Schreiner, the 73-year-old Townshend woman convicted in May of murdering her husband.
Schreiner blew a kiss to her daughter and left the Windham District Courtroom Thursday to begin serving her 17 years to life in prison.

All my respect to you,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:

Here is another article for you;
link
BRATTLEBORO -- A judge approved a sentencing deal for Hope Schreiner, the 73-year-old Townshend woman convicted in May of murdering her husband.
Schreiner blew a kiss to her daughter and left the Windham District Courtroom Thursday to begin serving her 17 years to life in prison.

All my respect to you,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows, thanks for posting this link. after reading through it i realize how much i needed to learn this after i spent all that time invested in the televised trial. i am glad i finally got to hear from robert's family. why hope had to do this i will never understand. your friend, izzyB

izzyB said:
dark_shadows, thanks for posting this link. after reading through it i realize how much i needed to learn this after i spent all that time invested in the televised trial. i am glad i finally got to hear from robert's family. why hope had to do this i will never understand. your friend, izzyB
Izzy,my friend,
I am glad that you read the links.
Anything else that I hear,I will post it for you.
All of my Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Hope is asking the Supreme Court to overturn her sentence and grant her a new trial.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hope is asking the Supreme Court to overturn her sentence and grant her a new trial.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

hello my dear friend :blowkiss:

if i recall correctly we met on this case. thanks for the update.

i have gone back to working a 50 hour a week, so do not post like i used to, but i do try to read the threads once or twice a day. a good way to unwind after a stressful day.

always good to see your thoughtful posts. take care of yourself!!! regards,
your friend izzyB

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
I watched this trial on Court TV. I thought it was fascinating. Thank you for the update dark shadows.

hello my dear friend :blowkiss:

if i recall correctly we met on this case. thanks for the update.

i have gone back to working a 50 hour a week, so do not post like i used to, but i do try to read the threads once or twice a day. a good way to unwind after a stressful day.

always good to see your thoughtful posts. take care of yourself!!! regards,
your friend izzyB

My dearest friend IzzyB,:blowkiss::blowkiss:
Yes my dear IzzyB, we met and became friends because of this thread.
I am so very grateful for that.
With all of my heart, thank-you.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Dear dark_shadows,

Thank you so much for this update.

This case was so sad and upsetting for everyone.

I will be most interested in hearing the Court's response.

Click below for an audio of the Vermont Supreme Court transcripts dated MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM (30 min. hearing).

2006-440

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

My very dear sweet IzzyB,:blowkiss:
Much Love to you my friend. So much Love.

Here is the latest from our news;
Click here for link..Vermont Supreme Court rejects appeal by woman who killed husband

So much Love and Respect for you IzzyB!!!!
Yours truly,
dark_shadows

This is wonderful news, Dark Shadows, thank you.

I always felt this woman should have been sentenced on First Degree and received LWOP but with having to serve at least 17 years it will suffice at her age.

imoo

From July 2014:

http://www.vermonttoday.com/apps/pb.../NEWS02/707189883/-1/NEBJwww.vermonttoday.com

An 81-year-old West Townshend woman who was convicted in 2006 of killing her elderly husband has been released from prison early on a medical furlough because of a “terminal or debilitating” illness, state officials said Thursday.

Hope Schreiner, who is the state’s oldest female inmate and its second-oldest inmate in custody, was released this week to a nursing home in northern Vermont, said Dean George, chairman of the Vermont Parole Board...

“She is not free; she is supervised on furlough,” he said, noting that DOC had consulted with the family of Robert Schreiner and the Parole Board.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back