GUILTY WA - Joshua Tabor for waterboarding 4yo daughter, Yelm, 2010

I wasn't going to comment but this is annoying me as I spent over half of my adult life as a military dependent so I must......

The term 'water boarding' is only used for SENSATIONALISM as the p.o.s is a soldier.If he worked at say,McDonald's,they wouldnt have used it.This annoys me as ,imo,it :
#1 Negates such a serious issue as child abuse
and #2 Perpetrates the 'trained killer' military myth.........THIS MAN WAS NOT & IS NOT IN COMBAT ARMS-he's a mechanic! He has no "training" in torture/killing etc **AND**even if he was in a combat MOS the "trained killer" still wouldn't apply!!!!!

The initial reporter obviously has an anti military/government bias & used this case to push it -period.
I wish this thread title was changed & the initial reporting was changed as it wrong.

This p.o.s is a child abusing animal-no doubt but a 'trained killer' or 'trained torturer' he is not!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to comment but this is annoying me as I spent over half of my adult life as a military dependent so I must......

The term 'water boarding' is only used for SENSATIONALISM as the p.o.s is a soldier.If he worked at say,McDonald's,they wouldnt have used it.This annoys me as ,imo,it :
and #2 Perpetrates the 'trained killer' military myth.........THIS MAN WAS NOT & IS NOT IN COMBAT ARMS-he's a mechanic! He has no "training" in torture/killing etc **AND**even if he was in a combat MOS the "trained killer" still wouldn't apply!!!!!

The initial reporter obviously has an anti military/government bias & used this case to push it -period.
I wish this thread title was changed & the initial reporting was changed as it wrong.

This p.o.s is a child abusing animal-no doubt but a 'trained killer' or 'trained torturer' he is not!!!!!!!!!

I do see what you're saying, but when I was talking about this news item with some students, about 1/3 of them knew what waterboarding was and had no military background at all. I think that any torture using water in that way is, in the general view, considered "waterboarding." I don't think you have to have a military background to know what was happening. I'm thinking, too, that if was in the military, even just as a mechanic, he might have been kind of military gung-ho, in which he had an inflated sense of his place in the military. So he might know all about torture techniques, just from reading and hearing about it.

I do see what you're saying, but when I was talking about this news item with some students, about 1/3 of them knew what waterboarding was and had no military background at all. I think that any torture using water in that way is, in the general view, considered "waterboarding." I don't think you have to have a military background to know what was happening. I'm thinking, too, that if was in the military, even just as a mechanic, he might have been kind of military gung-ho, in which he had an inflated sense of his place in the military. So he might know all about torture techniques, just from reading and hearing about it.

That is my experience as well. Sadly, these days you would have to be completely media-clueless not to have heard the term waterboarding. Whether you know what it actually is, agree with it, or whatever. Child abuse? Yeah- most people know that term too, but do most know how BAD and in how many ways it can actually be implemented?

I do NOT disagree at all that adults have been using torture-based techniques 'disguised' as discipline on children since time began. But to me- flash point words- even those such as torture itself- make the news. Even if this got eyeballed by a sensationalism-eager reporter.... at the very least, perhaps it draws attention to the issue of child abuse, period? As well as issues that the military may have with personnel who have emotional stability issues- whether due to active duty or otherwise.

MOO.

Oriah

i agree. in fact i said all he was was a glorified helicopter repair man.....he might have seen action but there's no way he was trained in wateboarding

i agree. in fact i said all he was was a glorified helicopter repair man.....he might have seen action but there's no way he was trained in wateboarding

I think it's interesting that there is so much disagreement about who/what/how the military is involved- via the media- of this sort of incident. (Perhaps it's the passion involved, one way or the other?)

When we work with military dogs and their handlers, they all are aware of torture techniques, i.e. waterboarding. They are not trained in them, nor do they have- technically- any 'experience' with them. Some have seen horrendous things in the line of duty; some have not. Some have seen fellow soldiers snap due to PTSD-related issues....some have see fellow soldiers who commit violent crimes against innocent people with no excuse of PTSD.

The long and short of it is- a child was abused. She needs help (and hopefully is getting it.) He needs out of commission and possibly help as well. Being active duty DOES occassionally cause anger issues to arise in unstable individuals. It is NEVER an excuse to torture or abuse an innocent individual.

IMO, 'helicopter repairman' does not necessarily mean anything more to me re: the 'waterboarding' reference than would 'dog handler.'
Dog handlers are not routinely trained in torture techniques. All of the ones that I know....either know them, or at minimum know what they are.

all that matters to me is this psycho nearly drowned his daughter and he still thinks what he did was a good thing.
to me he is just plain evil......most people who suffer ptsd after they realize what they have done will say 'what have i done' be depressed, get suicidal.
nope, this guy is proud of what he did.
this guy has issues that go far beyond his time in the military

all that matters to me is this psycho nearly drowned his daughter and he still thinks what he did was a good thing.
to me he is just plain evil......most people who suffer ptsd after they realize what they have done will say 'what have i done' be depressed, get suicidal.
nope, this guy is proud of what he did.
this guy has issues that go far beyond his time in the military

Agree entirely that he has issues that go far beyond the military.

I agree with this post. From what I have read what he did to torture this poor girl is not what interrogators do to suspects when waterboarding a suspect. He did not use military training techniques to brutalize her, just his own sadistic version of water torture. Still horrific either way but I don't the military training had anything to do with his malfunction.

miss iz u know i love you.
but if waterboarding isnt a 'flashpoint' i dont know what is.
we spent years trying to stop us people from doing it to other countries people, regardless of whether they were terrorists or not. that a man could inflict such a horrifc ordeal on his own litte girl is inconcievable to me........and yes we see stuff like this all the time. the question is, when does it stop? when have we all had enough?

Sadly it won't stop and sadly the abusers don't care who dislikes it because they arnt people with goodness in them like all of us

Total miscarriage of justice, since girlfriend stated he beat this child as well! This verdict creams my gizzard!:furious:

I have yet to see where anything was reported about the mother being unable or unfit to mother the child. I dont know if she has been or not but I am not going to asume she was.

Custody is awarded in the best interest of the child. Which could include employment ,economics and age of the parents is sometimes considered. A social history ..etc..

I also wonder if the court who awarded custody to the grandparents had authority to do so,as there was already an order of custody in a different court. That will have to be reveiwed and a change of venue awarded. It sounds as if the mother just needs to return to the orginal court and file paperwork to have her custodianship restored ,that is if there is not an issue with the mother herself. If there was I dont believe the split custody would have been awared in the first place.
I imagine a soilder serving his county looks better then a single mom waiting table on court papers and since we know he is an A-hole I dont think it would be a far reach to say he like to get what he wanted at any cost.
The court releasing custody to the grandparents does not sound like a legal move if in fact it was because they beat her to the punch. The grandparents most likely were called and the mother most likely was not. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back