WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #20

I agree that this title is a bit misleading. I watched the episode online this morning, and while I am not 100% sure, my feeling is that Chris Wilson did commit the crime.

I am very sympathetic to quirky and misunderstood teens, and I do feel some kids are mis-labeled due to their clothing and music choices. However, the tipping point for me involved the DNA, the blood, the timing of his appearance on the video. I could accept one coincidence, but not all three. I am also very uncomfortable with the tattoo. I was a pretty moody and dark teen, but at no point would I have considered making an iconic killer my personal emblem.

The idea that law enforcement would frame him is not very plausible to me. There would have to be a conspiracy, and while I can accept the notion that some police officers are corrupt, I am under the impression that most are interested in truth and justice.

I think Chris' adamant denial is more about preserving his relationship with his mom. I feel terrible for her, since there must be some doubt in her mind. It goes without saying that I feel much more sorry for MC's parents. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose your child in this way. I worry worry worry about my kids all the time. I hope they find peace.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18559_162-57547757/the-search-for-mackenzie-cowells-killer/

The search for Mackenzie Cowell's killer

hmmmm...strange title,since the killer is ALREADY in jail.

I think that possibly the subtitle was worded to reflect the ongoing process of searching for a killer over time, since 48 Hours made numerous visits and contacts locally over a period of a couple of years as the the case developed and the program was being produced. The show is also going to want to turn a phrase artfully in order to attract the largest possible viewing audience imo.

After having seen the 48 Hours program about Mackenzie's case, I can imagine more conceivable scenarios than just the two to explain what might have happened (those two being that either Chris killed Mackenzie in his apartment or LE set things up in Chris' apartment to make it appear as if Chris killed Mackenzie in his apartment).

I don't want to suggest anything outlandish, but I wonder, for example, if Chris Wilson was personally acquainted with one or both of the two men that the former police informant shown on 48 Hours insists she saw with her own eyes killing Mackenzie on video. I think the answer to that question would be interesting.

I agree that this title is a bit misleading. I watched the episode online this morning, and while I am not 100% sure, my feeling is that Chris Wilson did commit the crime.

I am very sympathetic to quirky and misunderstood teens, and I do feel some kids are mis-labeled due to their clothing and music choices. However, the tipping point for me involved the DNA, the blood, the timing of his appearance on the video. I could accept one coincidence, but not all three. I am also very uncomfortable with the tattoo. I was a pretty moody and dark teen, but at no point would I have considered making an iconic killer my personal emblem.

The idea that law enforcement would frame him is not very plausible to me. There would have to be a conspiracy, and while I can accept the notion that some police officers are corrupt, I am under the impression that most are interested in truth and justice.

I think Chris' adamant denial is more about preserving his relationship with his mom. I feel terrible for her, since there must be some doubt in her mind. It goes without saying that I feel much more sorry for MC's parents. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose your child in this way. I worry worry worry about my kids all the time. I hope they find peace.

Spot On!!! Excellent post.

[/B]
If there is more information to come to light in this case, I hope that the buzzing yields it up.

I like the poem in your footer, GateKeeper.

Thank you!!!
Ill always jump at a chance to brag about "Joe"!! Joe Henry is an amazing singer,song writer and producer. OMG...his music makes my heart want to burst sometimes! My footer is the lyrics to one of his songs "Trampoline". These words...are MY words to little Sky Metalwala.,,missing for a year now.
If you ever get a chance..no,I would MAKE a chance..listen to some Joe Henry. Its a soulful ride...
I think that possibly the subtitle was worded to reflect the ongoing process of searching for a killer over time, since 48 Hours made numerous visits and contacts locally over a period of a couple of years as the the case developed and the program was being produced. The show is also going to want to turn a phrase artfully in order to attract the largest possible viewing audience imo.

After having seen the 48 Hours program about Mackenzie's case, I can imagine more conceivable scenarios than just the two to explain what might have happened (those two being that either Chris killed Mackenzie in his apartment or LE set things up in Chris' apartment to make it appear as if Chris killed Mackenzie in his apartment).
I don't want to suggest anything outlandish, but I wonder, for example, if Chris Wilson was personally acquainted with one or both of the two men that the former police informant shown on 48 Hours insists she saw with her own eyes killing Mackenzie on video. I think the answer to that question would be interesting.

BBM

Yes,this has been a topic of discussion...both here at WS,and amongst the locals. But nothing has ever been confirmed to support the "theory".

The 48 Hours episode left too many unanswered questions. I think this case is too complex to be able to cover adequately in a 45 minute long program.

I was REALLY bothered at how Chris's mother and "best friend" were smiling and not taking the interviews seriously at all. If I had a friend (or son!!!) accused of something so horrible, I would take it very seriously. It's like they don't see the big picture and realize what he is accused of doing and that a young woman's life was taken so violently. You just want to shake them.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2012/dec/05/reward-for-breaking-the-cowell-case-29500/
Reward for breaking the Cowell case: $29,500

WENATCHEE — The tipster who pointed police toward a conclusion in the murder of Mackenzie Cowell received his reward Tuesday: $29,500.

Theodore A. “Theo” Keyes, 33, wrote a letter in August 2010 to the task force investigating the death of Cowell, a 17-year-old Wenatchee High School senior who went missing from downtown Wenatchee that February. She was found dead four days later on the shoreline of Crescent Bar.

The letter encouraged police to investigate Christopher Scott Wilson, a classmate of Cowell’s at the Academy of Hair Design who pleaded guilty last May to manslaughter and robbery in her death.

GateKeeper, I was just going to post that article. I didn't follow Mackenzie's case and only happened upon it when I was searching for possible victims of the serial killer Israel Keyes. How ironic that a person with the same last name is given a reward for info leading to Chris's arrest.

It totally fits Israel Keyes' MO. :waitasec:

Gosh, I am not sure what to think of this case. It is interesting that Israel Keyes was in the Western US during this time and confessed to murders in Washington state. Cowell's murder certainly fits his MO.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2012/dec/05/reward-for-breaking-the-cowell-case-29500/
Reward for breaking the Cowell case: $29,500

WENATCHEE — The tipster who pointed police toward a conclusion in the murder of Mackenzie Cowell received his reward Tuesday: $29,500.

Very strange. Wonder what made him suspect Chris and write a letter from jail?? I didn't follow this case but just watched the story on 48 Hours. Not sure what to think. My gut says he didn't do this. Bizzare!

"Keyes, who says he’s been diagnosed with schizoaffective and bipolar disorders, was held in the Chelan County Regional Justice Center from Nov. 26 until 3:20 p.m. Tuesday. He’s charged with second-degree criminal trespass for attempting to enter the Chelan County Courthouse just before midnight on Nov. 25, telling witnesses he needed to get important papers from a judge’s office.

Prior to that, he told a Chelan County sheriff’s deputy who stopped him for a broken brakelight on Nov. 24 that “people were following him and wanted to kill him,” according to the deputy’s report. On Nov. 10, he was arrested on suspicion of stealing a $30 jacket from the Wenatchee Shopko. In her report, the store’s loss prevention officer wrote that Keyes told her he was “homeless, has no money and needed the jacket because it’s cold outside.”

Keyes paid $1,250 bail and was released from jail Tuesday."

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

So many things about this case bother me. I can't seem to get my head around it. Does anyone who may be more familiar with the facts of the case care to shed any light?

I want a full explanation from police of what they believe happened that day.

How/why did Chris get Mackenzie to his apartment considering they were not even friends? How was she murdered there without someone hearing or seeing something?

If I understand correctly this took place in broad daylight? How did he transfer her body out of his apartment and to where it was later located without someone seeing something? If he used her vehicle, how did he return home? Again, if I understand correctly - he didn't have a vehicle at the time?

Was any DNA found anywhere on Mackenzie or in her vehicle other than what was mentioned on the duct tape?

Where did his cell phone indicate he was? Nothing was mentioned about his alibi. Do friends/family members or others vouch for him during the time police believe she was killed?

I personally have a hard time understanding him taking a plea yet being offered one. That is where this gets the strangest for me. I do not care what anyone says, I can understand false confessions in some cases, but not standing before a judge and my family and admitting to murdering someone when I was innocent.

I am also bothered by the fact that he was not required to provide a detailed confession. UGH!!!!! Sorry for rambling on folks, this one just makes NO sense.

Gliving, sorry - I actually hadn't seen your post when I posted mine saying almost the same thing. Great minds, I guess ;)

Gliving, sorry - I actually hadn't seen your post when I posted mine saying almost the same thing. Great minds, I guess ;)

:) It is a weird coincidence isn't it? It would be even odder if Israel and Theo are related. Israel's DNA is in the data bank now. I wonder if the duct tape DNA could be compared to his DNA.

So many things about this case bother me. I can't seem to get my head around it. Does anyone who may be more familiar with the facts of the case care to shed any light?

I want a full explanation from police of what they believe happened that day.

How/why did Chris get Mackenzie to his apartment considering they were not even friends? How was she murdered there without someone hearing or seeing something?

If I understand correctly this took place in broad daylight? How did he transfer her body out of his apartment and to where it was later located without someone seeing something? If he used her vehicle, how did he return home? Again, if I understand correctly - he didn't have a vehicle at the time?

Was any DNA found anywhere on Mackenzie or in her vehicle other than what was mentioned on the duct tape?

Where did his cell phone indicate he was? Nothing was mentioned about his alibi. Do friends/family members or others vouch for him during the time police believe she was killed?

I personally have a hard time understanding him taking a plea yet being offered one. That is where this gets the strangest for me. I do not care what anyone says, I can understand false confessions in some cases, but not standing before a judge and my family and admitting to murdering someone when I was innocent.

I am also bothered by the fact that he was not required to provide a detailed confession. UGH!!!!! Sorry for rambling on folks, this one just makes NO sense.

Daisy, there were reports of somebody seeing a person who may have fit Chris' description walking back towards town from where Mackenzie's car was found. I believe there were also reports of Mackenzie possibly going to Chris' apartment to look at some type of furniture. So that may answer some of your questions, if those reports were true (and if I'm remembering the furniture story correctly).

If it weren't for the plea deal, I'd think this was a slam-dunk case because of Mackenzie's blood being found in the apartment. The plea deal is baffling, especially the earlier deal that was even shorter than the one he took. Maybe it had to do with law enforcement thinking they couldn't pin down whether Chris or Tessa actually committed the murder. I really don't know. It was very much a shock when the info of a plea deal being offered first came out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back