WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN-missing-wash-mom_20100318034402_1_320_240.JPG

Mom_Son_Missing_JPE_467437c.jpg

A mark is evident is shown on the passenger side of the abandoned van of Shantina Smiley Tuesday March 16, 2010 in Tumwater,Wash., which was found on a beach near Zangle Road Sunday, with no trace of Smiley or her eight year-old son Azriel Carver. (AP Photo/The Olympian, Steve Bloom)

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-worl..._Son_Missing_JPE_467437c.jpg&superSizeImage=y

No damage to the van in the first pic, so we know it happened after that stop.

It was pitch dark outside. She could probably hardly see where she was. I keep going back to they woke up with water rising and couldn't get the door open. She probably pressed all the buttons for the door locks. Its possible the hatch opened by itself after the water receded if she had released the lock. By equalizing the pressure she could finally get the drivers door open.
Did I read that Azriel weighed 100 lbs? If she tried to carry him up that incline in 3 or 4 foot of water she may have just lost her balance and they were gone.
I believe this was a scene of horror and panic.
And I don't think she was still tipsy when it happened, just scared and in a panic.IMO

I am more inclined to think she passed out and Az couldn't wake her to tell her the water was coming into the vehicle. I don't think they were in the water when she got stuck, but were enveloped by the rising tide. If Az couldn't wake her and tried to leave on foot to get help he may have been overtaken by current, hypothermia, or just gotten lost.

How did he get the door open? Would an 8 yr old really get out of a van in the pitch dark?

I am not saying in anyway that RS had anything to do with this however there are many things about him that bothers me. He is leaving so much out.

He seems to be very controlling. We saw him in the media (more than we cared to) try to controll interviews. Questions went unanswered and he turned back to his own story. Someone who is that controlling whould know which highway she took. Taking SR 3 to 101 is a gamble. I have been stuck in traffic on SR3 all the way to Gorst. Then again if you have been watching the local news you would have known that they were planning to shut down an offramp in Tacoma where SR 16 merges with I-5. The construction was put off due to weather. If she went through tacoma she would have been recorded going over the bridge. Either with a Good2Go pass or a reciept. Either way you can't get over the bridge without at least 6 photos of your car taken. This was all in the paper as part of homeland security. Everytime I go to Portland i plan my route carefully because of the traffic.

There is way too much time lost in all of this. He states that she called him at 6:45 from a payphone and she was in olympia and going to pull off the highway to get AC somthing to eat. If she was a at a phone woundn't she have already pulled off the highway or did she really have her cell phone?

Where is she from 6:45 until she get directions and buys the wine? Over an hour goes by where is she?

In his first interview it bothered me that RS said "I love SS and Az is a great kid. I just want her to come home and marry me."

He just seems to be holdnig back too much info about SS and Az. What is he hiding?

I don't think RS loved her child and that may have bothered her.

getting caught in the rising tide i firmly believe in. do we have an idea of what hour that would have been say maybe 4 a.m. to reach the floor boards of the car.

How did he get the door open? Would an 8 yr old really get out of a van in the pitch dark?

If his mother couldn't be roused and water was coming into the vehicle? Yeah, I think an 8 year old would get out of the van, especially one that may be self sufficient by virtue of being raised by an addict. The house with the lights on may not have looked that far away either. It was the side door and back hatch that were open.

I am not saying in anyway that RS had anything to do with this however there are many things about him that bothers me. He is leaving so much out.

He seems to be very controlling. ...

Snipped, BBM.

I agree! I got that vibe, too. Sometimes controlling guys are attracted to women with weaknesses (alcoholism) simply because they think that they can control the relationship.

I'm not even suspecting that he had anything to do with her disappearance... but I do think that he's not being forthcoming about what really happened before she left in the van.

I had assumed that this was an overhead shot after the van had been removed. I don't think that those are her tracks that circle in and then back out. Could be the neighbors who found the van.

The tide would have washed away her tracks down to the waterline.

Seems if the van were still there, the photog would have included it in the pic.

0315shantina_search1.jpg

0316shantina_van_firstpic.jpg

I don't feel this was a planned act to harm her child. meaning (murder/suicide) The tire tracks show she tried to get the vehicle unstuck. I wonder if the rear hatch is open because in the confusion and panic she forgot which way the van was facing . Just such a tragic end.

I'vd been studying this photos:

1) She drives down from the road to the shore
2) She drives in an almost perfect circle
3) She drives around 1 more time and pulls forward after a almost half circle and tries to go up the beach
4) she gets stuck with the back tires on the third time and can't get out. (where the deeper tracks are) and is stuck there

To do donuts or circles she must have been trying to have fun and got stuck.

But at that time, with her being able to drive in circles, the tide was low and she was hardly in the water..maybe a little bit. Like she was letting off steam from all of her feelings.

If she was drunk, trying to have fun, she may have just said 'we're stuck' and didn't want to go for help because she had been drinking.

Decided to stay there. Where she is at shows the natural tide lines. So if she decided to stay there, then those are the natural tide lines that she wasn't thinking about I guess...

I can't help but wonder if the back was opened to grab the overnight bag.

**I'm looking again at the photos and it looks like she did get out of the deeper areas..it shoes tire lines from there. So I have no idea.

Snipped, BBM.

I agree! I got that vibe, too. Sometimes controlling guys are attracted to women with weaknesses (alcoholism) simply because they think that they can control the relationship.

I'm not even suspecting that he had anything to do with her disappearance... but I do think that he's not being forthcoming about what really happened before she left in the van.

My kids go on trips all the time and they call or text every step of the way. "We are at the Ferry Mom", I also make them print out the route they will be taking and we discused how if you pull off the highway you only take the exits that show what you are looking for i.e Gas station, food.

It seems that this was a spur of the moment trip. Who doesn't pack food when they are traveling with a small child.

Snipped, BBM.

I think everything has spiraled out of control so fast and he probably didn't expect what has happened. I bet he thought they would be found and they were just lost. Sadly it had a tragic end and I believe she is in the water as well.

I hadn't read that they could see lights from the van. Thats interesting.
Then the car would take on water with the doors shut? I wasn't sure about that. I only read what to do to get out of a car if its submerged with water.
Receding water may have forced the drivers door shut. Actually I thought in the photo it was open.

A neighbor saw the van almost completely submerged in early daylight hours. It was still in deep water when the 911 was called. 10 something i think.
I think this took place at abt 4 a.m.
By the amount of wine still left having gotten it at 8, she didn't spend too much time awake drinking. I am guess but i bet they were both asleep by 11 thirty.

Look at the Dates on that night it was low tide at 10:42 pm.

You are right.
I managed to confuse myself on which Saturday she pulled this stunt.
She parks almost exactly at low tide, and the water will move 12 feet in the following hours

The strange thing that I don't understand is that the keys are not in the ingnition so if they woke up with water coming in she didn't even try to turn the lights on.

Is it possible that there is a third person in this equation that we are missing? Maybe he was dumped because someone only wanted her? Just throwing it out there.

What better way to get rid of a crime scene then put it in moving water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500