WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to when or if they will release the toxicology results for Azriel. I also wonder if the CPS fatality review will be made public. I just can't stop thinking about that commenter on the news article that reported her when Azriel was in headstart. It was obviously serious enough for that individual to "cry all the way home and for several days after."

Very Interesting. There may be no dates on those stickers but her age is correct and city which means most likely recently -- otherwise that info would be outdated.

If you make an acct (only takes a second) you can see the dates she received everything.

There is one from March 15 of this year, and the gift is a dinner date..

Of course, I'm not saying that actually means anything, as this could be just a random internet person who for whatever reason sends gifts to everyone or something/didn't really know her/didn't hear the news

But the date did stick out

If you make an acct (only takes a second) you can see the dates she received everything.

There is one from March 15 of this year, and the gift is a dinner date..

Of course, I'm not saying that actually means anything, as this could be just a random internet person who for whatever reason sends gifts to everyone or something/didn't really know her/didn't hear the news

But the date did stick out
Interesting, indeed.

Interesting, indeed.

Interesting that they are all flirty messages from men -- not sure if it means anything, though. Although, she may have met someone online and taken off with them as stated before.

Interesting that they are all flirty messages from men -- not sure if it means anything, though. Although, she may have met someone online and taken off with them as stated before.

It seems it has a free online-dating feature. And from reading some reviews, it appears (at least in some peoples opinion) to be more of a hookup site.

I'm only 27, but never really heard of it... :eek:

The remote looks just like the one for my husbands Serious Satelite Radio. Were we questioning a contraption on the dash a while back too, we thought maybe it was a GPS??? I now am pretty sure it was a satelite radio. I too think that the contraption with the punchture hole looks like a "custom" made pipe of some sort.

Looks like a bullet casing made into a key chain.

Im so surprised LE did not say to RS come in and make a report if you don't find her. Instead he drives back to her Stepfathers and goes to sleep. WTH?
Sorry but when the caller gave the 911 dispatcher the plate number, where I work, it would have been a oh boy moment...We read out every half hour a missing person alarms, esp if a CHILD is involved...Very weird.

He may not have left names, etc. Perhaps only called to find out if there had been any accidents.

Did he & the step father drive separately when they were looking?

He may not have left names, etc. Perhaps only called to find out if there had been any accidents.

According to RS:

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road.

Sounds to me like the police had his contact information. I'd like to know when he notified police she was missing.

It seems it has a free online-dating feature. And from reading some reviews, it appears (at least in some peoples opinion) to be more of a hookup site.

I'm only 27, but never really heard of it... :eek:
Well, all of this certainly adds a dimension to the story....:waitasec:

I am curious as to when or if they will release the toxicology results for Azriel. I also wonder if the CPS fatality review will be made public. I just can't stop thinking about that commenter on the news article that reported her when Azriel was in headstart. It was obviously serious enough for that individual to "cry all the way home and for several days after."
What are you referring to? I must have missed this, is there a link or anything? I meant, "please", did not mean to sound so rude or abrupt, was just startled, sorry. Thanks!:blushing:

According to RS:

We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road.

Sounds to me like the police had his contact information. I'd like to know when he notified police she was missing.

What does it say just before that part? Before "We went back to the Step Fathers"?

Yes, I see. That is troubling. Was this the period in which Shantina was alcoholic (actively) and living with the "adult male" who was mentioned in the CPS reports as "arrested, but not prosecuted" for Azriel's injury?

She may have had a history of this and he figured she would show up or they got in an argument and that's why he went to sleep?

What are you referring to? I must have missed this, is there a link or anything? I meant, "please", did not mean to sound so rude or abrupt, was just startled, sorry. Thanks!:blushing:

"CPS is now doing a “fatality review” to see if anything should have been done differently, Hill said."

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/19/missing-boys-death-ruled-accidental/

I thought I had read somewhere else that it was standard procedure to do toxicology and that they were going to -- I am trying to find it and will post if I do.

BTW no offense taken.

I am sorry -- thought you were looking for link on the CPS fatality report. -- didn't realize it was the comment about the individual who cried. Sorry. Looks like you got the link from someone else. :)

True. In addition, what upsets me is that:
1. When the story first broke, it was of a loving Mom who had vanished on a road trip with her little boy.
2. Then, all at once: Alcoholism, DUI, CPS reports come out,
3. at the same time, tragically, that little Azriel's body is found.
4. Overnight, it became "irresponsible woman with many strikes against her gets her kid drowned, too late now, nothing can be done, end of story".
5. The temptation now to let it drop, not probe further, is strong.
6. Meantime, all SS 's good is swept away
7. If she were found and evidence of being a victim of a crime, this might change.

:clap:---
Thank you for this. I couldn't agree more. By the time I finished reading your post I had forgotten that you were referring to LE. It seems like the points you mention could also be said of the media and the forums. I noticed a definite chill come over this thread as soon as word was out RS stated she was an alcoholic who relapsed.

The idea I can't get past is that all we know about the bad Shantina has come from one or two sources who may have their own agenda. The rest has come from speculation and rumor, with a little 'what I would have done..." added for good measure.

I cry a little every time I read a post from an otherwise compassionate sleuther who refers to Shantina as 'the alcoholic' or a bad mother. Going back to earlier discussions about facts vs. rumors, I believe the only person we have heard say Shantina relapsed is RS although if IRC someone mentioned a comment seen on another board from a friend. Does that make it a fact? Have we seen any proof? I know we have proof of previous contact with childrens services (or whatever it is called in WA.) but no proof that they ever found her guilty of any wrong doing except passing out and leaving Az unattended once. We know she sent Az to live with a relative after one case but I am sure I read this was done voluntarily. Do we have any other proof she was ever really a bad mother? I know Shantina was seen buying wine but did anyone see her drink any of it? Do we have any proof? I read a mention of a comment brought from another source that she had been better after getting the alcoholic and drug problem under control (if IRC it was an ex?)and next we see sleuthers speculating on whether things shown on the news as being taken from the van might be drug paraphenalia.

I have seen posts stating a belief that someone else may have been involved in this and I am leaning more that way myself because I just don't want to believe this was intentional or premeditated or bad parenting.

So, IF there IS a third party involved, that person could have asked her to pick up the wine and then drank the wine or poured it out to look like Shantina had drank half a bottle. They could have also staged the stuff found on the beach and left stuff in the car, all to promote the relapse story. The excessive tire prints could have been from another vehicle. The doors could have been left open hoping any prints/evidence would wash away with the tide. Give me long enough and I can put a spin on the rest of it too. I'm not sure if I really believe any of what I wrote in this paragraph but am just trying to keep an open mind.

I realize that every case must be completely dissected and studied from all angles but what happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt? Does the fact that someone has or had a problem with alcohol or drugs make them less worth saving?

The other day I posted a comment about not being too hard on RS for not speaking of the alcoholism when he first reported Shantina missing or for taking her to a wine tasting event. As part of my reasoning, I told a bit of my own story with alcohol and alcoholics. Does that mean that if I go missing I am not worth looking for? Does that mean I will have people referring to me as 'the alcoholic' instead of Shannon?

SMK--Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I have been stewing over this for days and your words gave me the kick in the rear I needed to speak up here

What does it say just before that part? Before "We went back to the Step Fathers"?

Here's the whole thing. It would seem that at some point between 9 and midnight he notified the police she was missing (my guess would be after the call to the grandfather):

After several years, Shantina had made contact with her Step Father in Castle Rock. We had planned to go down and visit them.

I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father’s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok. We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and say the van. As many of you know, I usually have a camera on hand, besides being waterlogged, the van did have some damage, but no broken windows. There was no sign of Shantina or Azriel.

I spent about 6 hours on the location talking to the detectives. I left there around 5:30, and had to make numerous stops to field phone calls from numerous sources, including the media. I stopped at my childrens mother house to sit with them around 8:00pm

Last night they brought blood hounds over, and took scent item.

I have no idea of why she would have ended up down that road. I know that our family want both her and Azriel back home safe and sound.

Please pray for their safe return. I already talked with Azriel’s Father in New York. That is a hard call to make.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/B...-LUCK-BR-In-finding-missing-woman-and-her-son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member