WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the size relative to the large shoe, I too think it was a 1.5L bottle. 5 glasses of wine over a 2 hour period is estimated to give a 140 lb woman a .096 BAC, so legally drunk in WA.

Effects at Specific BACs:

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

0.16-0.19 BAC: Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

0.30 BAC: STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

% Alcohol varies per type of wine, even among whites. It makes a difference if that Carlo Rossi was chardonnay or not.

Wines 12.0
Chardonnay 12.5
Other Whites 10.0
Red Wines 13.0

http://www.rochester.edu/uhs/healthtopics/Alcohol/bac.html

There's more on effects at BAC levels on this site. It doesn't look to me that she should have been falling down.
What if she had combined it with anti-anxiety meds? This might account for the extreme reaction?

Another possibility: We do not know what happened between Shantina's stop at the William's home and her van being found the next morning. She very well could have stopped at another private location to seek further directions and/or help from an unsavory person. This person took the opportunity to commit an assault, drive to the beach and dispose of SS & AC as to leave no witnesses.

no obvious signs of foul play

http://www.komonews.com/news/87628727.html

Detectives also obtained a warrant to search and obtain fingerprints from the van driven by Smiley.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22859850/detail.html

That 0.096 BAC is based on 2 hours. If she drank it over a longer period of time (not unreasonable assumption IMO), then her BAC would have been lower.

And if that was not chardonnay but one of the other whites, then her BAC would have been lower.

Anybody remember what time she fell down at the diner as compared to what time she purchased the wine? Diner was around 9pm?

What if she had combined it with anti-anxiety meds? This might account for the extreme reaction?

I'm trying to look at what we have 'proof' of. We saw her buy the bottle of wine. We have LE's report that it was half empty. It's not definitive proof, but we have some evidence.

With the anti-anxiety meds, we know she, in essence, had the prescription, but we don't have anybody saying they saw her taking them that evening, we don't have LE telling us there was an empty prescription bottle anywhere. Nothing to tell us it's likely she took any that night, KWIM? All we really have is that half empty jug of Carlo Rossi that we saw her buy that night.

But, that having been said, yes, the meds could increase the effect. So could have more alcohol, but we have no 'evidence' of any more alcohol.

Question: didn't the diner people say specifically that she didn't order or drink alcohol in the diner, although they do have it available?

Repeat offenders learn how to not leave evidence, the tide could have washed evidence away.

Detectives also obtained a warrant to search and obtain fingerprints from the van driven by Smiley.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/22859850/detail.html

I am not saying the scenario I posted is what happened, I am saying it is possible there was a third party involved because there is a lot of time unaccounted for where anything could have happened.

I'm trying to look at what we have 'proof' of. We saw her buy the bottle of wine. We have LE's report that it was half empty. It's not definitive proof, but we have some evidence.

With the anti-anxiety meds, we know she, in essence, had the prescription, but we don't have anybody saying they saw her taking them that evening, we don't have LE telling us there was an empty prescription bottle anywhere. Nothing to tell us it's likely she took any that night, KWIM? All we really have is that half empty jug of Carlo Rossi that we saw her buy that night.

But, that having been said, yes, the meds could increase the effect. So could have more alcohol, but we have no 'evidence' of any more alcohol.

Question: didn't the diner people say specifically that she didn't order or drink alcohol in the diner, although they do have it available?
Yes, the diner people did say that, and yes, I agree there is no evidence of the pills ( I think I had originally read a news item that said her fiance told police she was on anti-anxiety pills, and it stuck in my mind)

Repeat offenders learn how to not leave evidence, the tide could have washed evidence away.

I am not saying the scenario I posted is what happened, I am saying it is possible there was a third party involved because there is a lot of time unaccounted for where anything could have happened.
Agreed, there may still have been foul play, and there WAS a large amount of time unaccounted for.

I love websleuths, and everybody on it. However, I really don't understand why we are looking for excuses for this woman. She was an alcoholic, one that had supposedly relapsed. We know she has a history of blackouts, and CPS investigations saying basically that when she was drunk she didn't take good care of him. There was the half bottle of wine that people are saying that she might not have drank, but give an alcoholic a bottle of wine, that she bought, and it was found at the lake. Also, IMO when she is on that video tape at the store, she looks a little happy already to me. And why was she leaning on the counter like that, it didn't look like she was signing a credit card receipt.

Is there any evidence of a car accident? Maybe she did hit her head.....after she was DRUNK. She may have been taking anti anxiety meds so it could have been that the alcohol effect was more intensified. But either way, the theories of stroke and other medical problems just seems like grasping for straws to me. She was an alcoholic that bought wine. That's pretty much explains it. I'm very sorry for her family, and hope that they get the closure they may need so they can grieve and maybe move on.

I love websleuths, and everybody on it. However, I really don't understand why we are looking for excuses for this woman. She was an alcoholic, one that had supposedly relapsed. We know she has a history of blackouts, and CPS investigations saying basically that when she was drunk she didn't take good care of him. There was the half bottle of wine that people are saying that she might not have drank, but give an alcoholic a bottle of wine, that she bought, and it was found at the lake. Also, IMO when she is on that video tape at the store, she looks a little happy already to me. And why was she leaning on the counter like that, it didn't look like she was signing a credit card receipt.

Is there any evidence of a car accident? Maybe she did hit her head.....after she was DRUNK. She may have been taking anti anxiety meds so it could have been that the alcohol effect was more intensified. But either way, the theories of stroke and other medical problems just seems like grasping for straws to me. She was an alcoholic that bought wine. That's pretty much explains it. I'm very sorry for her family, and hope that they get the closure they may need so they can grieve and maybe move on.
Yes, I agree: She was an alcoholic, and was irresponsible at some times in very bad ways. The CPS reports are troubling. But there was good to her as well. The idea of foul play does not discount the other, or make her an angel. But being an alcoholic is supposedly a physiological disease, and not simply a moral failing. Yes, we may be grasping at straws. Maybe it is because she was so pretty, and seemed to have tried so hard to get back on track with college and honors and work, and scouts for her boy. She does not fit the profile of a seedy derelict, just a troubled person (I give her credit for surviving her mother's suicide). Yes, I guess there is some desire to grasp at straws. But there is a possibility, however remote, that she fell victim to someone.

Based on the size relative to the large shoe, I too think it was a 1.5L bottle. 5 glasses of wine over a 2 hour period is estimated to give a 140 lb woman a .096 BAC, so legally drunk in WA.

For someone used to drinking, that is not a lot. I think she was drinking before that. Also, a friend of hers, going back to childhood, said she felt she was drinking all day.

For someone used to drinking, that is not a lot. I think she was drinking before that. Also, a friend of hers, going back to childhood, said she felt she was drinking all day.
That is interesting, did the friend say this because of how she looked on the tapes? Or because of the falling in the parking lot incident? Just wondering. Thanks. :cautionDrunk:

Yes, I agree: She was an alcoholic, and was irresponsible at some times in very bad ways. The CPS reports are troubling. But there was good to her as well. The idea of foul play does not discount the other, or make her an angel. But being an alcoholic is supposedly a physiological disease, and not simply a moral failing. Yes, we may be grasping at straws. Maybe it is because she was so pretty, and seemed to have tried so hard to get back on track with college and honors and work, and scouts for her boy. She does not fit the profile of a seedy derelict, just a troubled person (I give her credit for surviving her mother's suicide). Yes, I guess there is some desire to grasp at straws. But there is a possibility, however remote, that she fell victim to someone.

I would just HATE it if a perpetrator got away with causing their deaths simply because she was an alcoholic and had CPS reports, and everyone's mindset is "she did it". EVERY avenue should be explored. imo

I don't recall this, do you have a link (re: the friend's statement)? TIA

That is interesting, did the friend say this because of how she looked on the tapes? Or because of the falling in the parking lot incident? Just wondering. Thanks. :cautionDrunk:

The way it came across in the posting (it was on the KOMO website blog in response to an news release - so she wrote it herself) was that she said it just from knowing her.

I don't recall this, do you have a link (re: the friend's statement)? TIA

I posted it on here. I have to be away for a couple of hours, but I will go back and find it in a bit.

I would just HATE it if a perpetrator got away with causing their deaths simply because she was an alcoholic and had CPS reports, and everyone's mindset is "she did it". EVERY avenue should be explored. imo
:blowkiss::praying:

My thoughts exactly. We do not know who was making these CPS calls, or why they did not find her guilty, but it is not black and white, she was a human being with a troubled past, and I too, feel that the attitude of some of the public and media changed from concern to, "Oh, now I get it, this was an alcoholic with CPS reports on her, what scum." -- Well, what if she was raped and murdered, and the boy abandoned to drown by the killer? I have compassion and mercy on her regarding her troubles, and of course I am horrified at the little child being caught in her plight.

I didn't want to make you wait :)

Here is my original post and the link:

A friend she grew up with just wrote this about her on the news page:

(I didn't hear about the emergency lights...)

"I believe that she was drinking. It clearly shows in her actions and reactions on that night. Why did she put the emergency blinkers on in the parking lot of the conveience store she was at when she bought the wine. I think she was drinking all day. Mabey dealing with reconciling with her step-father and the bad news of possible cancer of her fience proved to be a little to much to take for a recovering alcholic. I know because I too have delt with some of the same issues in my past. you drink to deal and not feel. I have known Shantina since grade school and for a long time was very close to her almost like sisters. I know she had her demons but I do believe in change and her desire to break free from all the chains holding her down. I think she was happy. I think that could have scared her, being so happy, her relationship with her fience and finally finding peace in her chaotic world."

http://www.komonews.com/news/88274362.html

Where did her friend say this? I hadn't seen that.

ETA: sorry. I should have read to the end of the thread. I see the link now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn