WA WA - Sky Metalwala, 2, Bellevue, 6 Nov 2011 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panic attacks are a nightmare. Panic attacks are hell, as anyone who has experienced them will attest.

SM is not the only one who has compassion.

According to SM, his wife was diagnosed with severe OCD, bipolar disorder, and depression.

I have compassion for anyone who is afflicted with mental illness.

Oh good. Im crazy and I completely disagree with you. Please forgive!:crazy:

2003 to 2011 is 8 years. 22 + 8 = 30. So....????

I am still confused about it. I have put more thought into my age today than I care. :blushing: I was 23, but it was 24th year. I will be married 9 years in January. I asked my husband. Hes like Rainman with numbers. Thank you!

I have not read all of the posts, but I have tried to keep up with this case. My thoughts are this....BOTH of these parents have issues. A court does not put a restraining order against a father for almost an entire year with NO EVIDENCE AT ALL just because his wife said he was a bad father. I truly feel for this family, but I don't think the entire truth has come out about the father. Something is not right here. The mother is obviously mentally ill. I have a good friend whose sister was diagnosed as bi-polar after the birth of her second child and it is very sad what they go through. A lot of the time they don't even know what they are doing. Family, friends and people close to this couple surly are helping the police put the puzzle pieces together.

What concerns me the most is the information in the declaration from December 2010 which states JB thought she might harm Sky and the close bond she has with the daughter. Everyone here figured that out before the declaration was made public. These words were written almost a year ago and the father's greatest fear seems to have come to fruition.....This is all too sad to comprehend. Sky.....where are you?

from what i've read, he was accused of physical and sexual abuse which may have caused him to lose custody but according to solomon's lawyer, he was cleared of the charges against him. plus, from the reports, julia and sm had to get mediation to work out custody issues. she finally agreed to having him get visitations prior to changing her mind again and before sky's disappearance. dad may not be perfect and may have his own issues, but he seems to be the lesser evil of the two imo. plus, as some other posters have asked, if sm was truly harming his children as julia had stated, why then did her lawyer request for M to be placed in her father's care rather than in foster care?

Panic attacks are a nightmare. Panic attacks are hell, as anyone who has experienced them will attest.

According to SM, his wife was diagnosed with severe OCD, bipolar disorder, and depression.

I don't believe that anyone who suffers from mental illness deserves to be called "crazy" or "nuts" or "psycho" or any other derogatory term.

Do we call those who suffer from Dementia or Alzheimer's "crazy" or "nuts" or psycho"?

Oh good. Im crazy and I completely disagree with you. Please forgive!:crazy:

This makes me very sad.

I suppose I would like to believe that most folks have compassion toward the mentally ill. Perhaps I have been proven wrong.

I have not read all of the posts, but I have tried to keep up with this case. My thoughts are this....BOTH of these parents have issues. A court does not put a restraining order against a father for almost an entire year with NO EVIDENCE AT ALL just because his wife said he was a bad father. I truly feel for this family, but I don't think the entire truth has come out about the father. Something is not right here. The mother is obviously mentally ill. I have a good friend whose sister was diagnosed as bi-polar after the birth of her second child and it is very sad what they go through. A lot of the time they don't even know what they are doing. Family, friends and people close to this couple surly are helping the police put the puzzle pieces together.

What concerns me the most is the information in the declaration from December 2010 which states JB thought she might harm Sky and the close bond she has with the daughter. Everyone here figured that out before the declaration was made public. These words were written almost a year ago and the father's greatest fear seems to have come to fruition.....This is all too sad to comprehend. Sky.....where are you?

IMO, etc...

We KNOW the allegations against the dad that caused the restraining order and loss of custody. He addressed them in his statement. Further, we know from this document that:

1. CPS / the Courts systematically reviewed and rejected the complaints against him. They decided that he was telling the truth.

2. He WON, he was eventually granted visitation and some kind of joint custody

3. We can see from mom's pictures that at least a portion of his story is correct. The beds and children's furniture are stacked in the living room. That's where the kid's lived.

Further, we now know for a fact -- not speculation, but fact -- that mom is perfectly willing to lie to everyone, including the police. She did so about the car.
His accuser is a liar and potentially a murderer. We now KNOW this. Why then would we believe anything that she has to say?

This makes me very sad.

I suppose I would like to believe that most folks have compassion toward the mentally ill. Perhaps I have been proven wrong.

So while everybody is looking for her missing 2 year old (whom she claims to have left in a car that was out of gas (only it wasn't)), she is the one I am supposed to feel sorry for?

So while everybody is looking for her missing 2 year old (whom she claims to have left in a car that was out of gas (only it wasn't)), she is the one I am supposed to feel sorry for?

Don't forget while he was sick and on their way to the hospital.

I don't believe that anyone who suffers from mental illness deserves to be called "crazy" or "nuts" or "psycho" or any other derogatory term.

Do we call those who suffer from Dementia or Alzheimer's "crazy" or "nuts" or psycho"?
(I have followed along intermittently and missed her string of diagnoses. This explains a lot.)

Her depression could be situational r/t her severe OCD, but this diagnosis more likely came from the depressive side of her bipolar disorder.

Here is the big problem in treating OCD patients who are also bipolar: Antidepressents (the older ones and SSRIs) are effective in controlling symptoms of OCD, BUT they are risky/tricky to prescribe to bipolar patients.

Antidepressants are actually contraindicated in some bipolar patients. (Each patient responds differently.) If the bipolar patient is prescribed an antidepressent, he/she must be frequently assessed to determine if the antidepressent is leading to a manic episode. Sometimes in bipolar patients their depression becomes so severe that the risk of inducing mania through SSRI administration is necessary because bipolar patients have a suicide rate of 15- 20% in their lifetime (30 x higher than non-bipolar individuals).

If Julia was placed on SSRIs for her depression or for her OCD and she was not being frequently assessed/meds adjusted, she could have been manic when Sky disappeared. She might still be manic.

This makes me very sad.

Are you running for office by chance? I have a sense of humor about what I was dealt and I dont make excuses or use it as a crutch. It is what it is. I dont see it any more devastating than diabetes. The compassion I have is with the impoverished who cannot afford healthcare and must suffer. And mostly with the children who didnt ask to be born to people who make crappy choices.

If you cant be held accountable for taking your medicine daily then I dont know how you can care for kids. THAT is a tough pill to swallow.

(I have followed along intermittently and missed her string of diagnoses. This explains a lot.)

Her depression could be situational r/t her severe OCD, but this diagnosis more likely came from the depressive side of her bipolar disorder.

Here is the big problem in treating OCD patients who are also bipolar: Antidepressents (the older ones and SSRIs) are most effective in controlling symptoms of OCD, BUT they are risky/tricky to prescribe to bipolar patients.

Antidepressants are actually contraindicated in some bipolar patients. (Each patient responds differently.) If the bipolar patient is prescribed an antidepressent, he/she must be frequently assessed to determine if the antidepressent is leading to a manic episode.
Sometimes in bipolar patients their depression becomes so severe that the risk of inducing mania is necessary as bipolar patients have a suicide rate of 20%.

If Julia was placed on SSRIs for her depression or for her OCD and she was not being frequently assessed, she could have been manic when Sky disappeared. She might still be manic.

TY Pens for weighing in!

What might occur if the patient suddenly stops taking their medication - especially if it's an SSRI?

TY Pens for weighing in!

What might occur if the patient stops taking their medication?
They will "relapse" anywhere from 1-2 months with their severe OCD symptoms. Bipolar patients that became manic on SSRIs will have decreased manic symptoms within a week or so after discontinuing SSRIs. Many will self medicate with alcohol or benzos during their manic stage so this becomes another "interesting" problem.

Most inpatient psychiatric patients will have several diagnoses. Depression is frequently a diagnosis that comes with OCD, but Julia had a more severe problem (bipolar disorder). There are many medications that can control bipolar disorder symptoms, but bipolar disorder patients frequently do not like to take them. They have a huge rate of non-compliance within months after a hospital discharge.

TY so much for your input, Rouge!

I would like your professional opinion regarding patients who have been diagnosed with severe OCD, bi-polar disorder, and depression.

It seems to me that the co-morbidity of Julia's diagnosed mental illnesses may have made it impossible for her to make rational decisions - especially rational decisions regarding herself & her children.

It's distressing to read the derogatory comments about JB, since (according to her husband) she has been diagnosed with multiple mental illnesses - OCD, bi-polar disorder, and depression. My heart breaks for this family.

Mental illness is a very real affliction - and those who suffer from it are not "psycho" or "crazy" or "evil" or any of the other pejorative terms that have been used recently to describe JB.

No one chooses to be afflicted with mental illness, anymore than one chooses to be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease or Dementia.

Hi there,

I appreciate the feedback! It's difficult to know how severe JB's symptoms were -- and even what the correct diagnoses are, as I find it odd to be diagnosed bipolar AND depressed when bipolar includes depression and some subtypes of bipolar highlight depression as the major feature -- so, why the extra diagnosis of depression is my question? Without a clear clinical eval, it's difficult to know what was going on -- it's all just 2nd hand information.

In a person with very severe symptoms of any mental illness, of course various things like the cognitive ability to make rational decisions could be compromised. But, who knows what was really going on here with JB -- if it was intentional neglect or more of a cognitive lapse that prevented her from having sound judgment. We may never know.

That said, please take heart that there are plenty of people out there who hold out hope for those with mental health concerns. And, I fully agree with you that language, when not carefully chosen, can be further damaging to those who are already fragile.

If that didn't answer your question, please let me know.

Of course they know where she is. If she were missing the LE would be all over it on a secondary manhunt. The people want answers, that would be a bullhorn.

But since they never called her a suspect I presume she can move around freely and go to any place she wants.

2003 to 2011 is 8 years. 22 + 8 = 30. So....????

November 2011 + 2 months = January 2012; 2003 to 2012 = 9 years :) I was confused, too until January was brought up.

When I was watching the news earlier, they brought up that an older photo was uploaded to her Flickr account today:

KIRO video link: http://www.kirotv.com/videos/news/more-kiro-7-eyewitness-news-video/lMB/

I went to go see for myself and noticed there seems to be more photos available for viewing than previously... unless I just missed them the first time :waitasec:

Manic individuals are frequently hypersexual. Although Julia wanted money, I wonder if she was manic when she decided to place her advertisement. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg