Why are her parents coddling Casey?

The dynamics in this family were tenuous for a very long time. This might have been on going since Casey was a child and everyone just feel into lockstep trying to keep the peace. Living with a person with these traits is similar to living with an adult alcoholic - walking on egg shells, not calling the authorities when things get out of hand, not seeking advice and counseling.

Why, if Cindy berated Casey for her childrearing, or did not trust her raising this child or worried over her partying, drinking, etc., they did not seek custody of Caylee? It has been done in many families. Sure it might have angered Casey but at least Caylee would be safe. Later the courts could have reversed the custody arrangement if all was proven wrong.

I would not want to be in Cindy and George's position - it's one thing to be living with a disfunctional family unit with nerves on edge constantly but to have something this serious covered 24 hours a day on TV and the Internet must be so painful.

from her threat to prosecute Casey for grand theft of her grandparents money, (went so far as to call the police AND drive to a station) perhaps Caylee would be alive today. But no..........I wonder if they ever followed thru with any type of punishment where Casey was concerned. Idea for one of the book deals - How to Raise a Sociopath

from her threat to prosecute Casey for grand theft of her grandparents money, (went so far as to call the police AND drive to a station) perhaps Caylee would be alive today. But no..........I wonder if they ever followed thru with any type of punishment where Casey was concerned. Idea for one of the book deals - How to Raise a Sociopath

I don't understand. Are you saying that Caylee was alive when Cindy made the 911 calls?

Negligence on Cindy's part either way and George's part and Lee's part. They knew what was going on. They could've stepped in at any minute and saved Caylee but they didn't even make an attempt

When did this happen??? I mean, I'm not on the Cindy and George train by any means, but I honestly don't think they ever thought Casey was ever even capable of killing Caylee. All the "What if's" sadly won't change the situation IMO.

Nope, but they knew she wasn't a good mother. We know this for a fact from Cindy's actions before Caylee disappeared.

I agree, I think it's very unfair to accuse Cindy of being responsible for what CASEY and only CASEY did to Caylee. Casey is an adult with her own free will.

I'm the step-parent of an adult child with borderline personality disorder.

IMHO Casey probably has bpd (at a minimum - usually there are co-morbid disorders as well) and it's very difficult to diagnose and treat.

A book was recommended to me by a mental health prof once at a time when the bpd in my family was "Baker Acted." The title is I Hate You, Don't Leave Me, and the title alone gives you a good idea about bpd. Another book for family and friends of someone with bpd is called Walking on Eggshells. 'Nuf said!

I suspect George and Cindy have developed, over many years, a pattern of dealing with Casey that minimizes the "drama." That might be what they are still doing now, either consciously or unconsciously. If consciously, they may have been advised by LE/mental health professional/etc to try to make Casey feel believed and comfortable and loved in order to have her open up.

I feel so sad for the entire Anthony family, including Casey. I think there are two explanations for her behavior: 1) mental illness or 2) under the control of "evil." In either case, they are up against something that is very complicated, cunning and baffling.

While we can all be armchair "analysts," speaking from personal experience, I know that by the time you've dealt with a bpd sufferer for long enough, you feel like the crazy one! Counseling for family members is definitely needed to not end up in a situation like this! Prayer helps, too! God can and will turn the worst of situations into a blessing.

After many years (and much counseling and prayer) I am no longer hostage to my bpd step-daughter, but it has been a painful journey. It's also painful to watch other family members continue to struggle with her. Some family members are on their own journey to deal with her, and others are in denial. All I know is I had to "apply the oxygen mask to myself before I could help anyone else."

This case is about as bizarre as they come, and Casey and her family are very easy to dislike and criticize.

Casey needs to be prosecuted and pay the price for what she's done already (lie, steal, etc.)...it's the only way for us to have a civilized society, and the only way she can at least begin to become a responsible adult.

If she is tried and convicted on any more serious charges (human trafficking, murder, etc) the same applies.

If any other family members aided/abetted in any of her crimes, or committed crimes of their own, the same applies.

:Justice:​

I always try to remember two things:

1. We are protected by a Constitution that states we are innocent until proven guilty and provides for due process.

2. I should not judge the actions of another person until I've walked a mile in their shoes.

:smiliescale:​

I certainly feel enormous anger :furious: about this case, but I know the anger is better directed toward the illness and/or spirit of evil.

Great post! I agree with you, there are major personality disorders at play here. But I also think that Cindy is afflicted with the same thing as Casey.

I agree, I think it's very unfair to accuse Cindy of being responsible for what CASEY and only CASEY did to Caylee. Casey is an adult with her own free will.

I agree! I was raised by a BPD mother and she didn't kill me. I have Bipolar disorder and I have not killed my child (though this teenage attitude thing of his really pisses me off sometimes, I'm telling ya LOL).

stigma stigma stigma. ik

Cindy could've prevented this though so could've George and Lee all they had to do was make a phone call

The dynamics in this family were tenuous for a very long time. This might have been on going since Casey was a child and everyone just feel into lockstep trying to keep the peace. Living with a person with these traits is similar to living with an adult alcoholic - walking on egg shells, not calling the authorities when things get out of hand, not seeking advice and counseling.

Why, if Cindy berated Casey for her childrearing, or did not trust her raising this child or worried over her partying, drinking, etc., they did not seek custody of Caylee? It has been done in many families. Sure it might have angered Casey but at least Caylee would be safe. Later the courts could have reversed the custody arrangement if all was proven wrong.

I would not want to be in Cindy and George's position - it's one thing to be living with a disfunctional family unit with nerves on edge constantly but to have something this serious covered 24 hours a day on TV and the Internet must be so painful.

You make a great point here.. people with mental illness often have many of the same "ism's" as addicts.

A major part of real "recovery" from mental illness is "un-learning" our unhealthy behaviors and defense mechanisims and learning new ones much like addicts. Though many of us are dual diagnosed and end up in those rooms anyway.

I don't understand. Are you saying that Caylee was alive when Cindy made the 911 calls?

Yes, this was prior to Casey leaving with Caylee on the 16th, before Cindy visited the grandparents with Caylee.

For some reason, I have thought all along that the parents are somewhat afraid of Casey. Afraid of what, I'm not sure. But now that Caylee is missing, the parents are being forced to see their daughter in a whole new light, even though they are still in denial.

Just from the recorded jail phone calls, you can tell that Casey is overbearing and disrespectful to her family. I would bet that heated arguments have gone on for years between the parents and Casey. It seems that the parents let Casey "win" most of these arguments by letting her continue her self-destructive behavior.

Well, if I had spoken to my parents the way she did, during those telephone calls-- disrespectful, derisive, f-bombing-- I would not have lived to see age 24.

Some people believe that their family business is their business and no one has any dominion over them except perhaps God. They extend this to crime, including murder. If one family member murdered another family murder they might loathe and ostracize the murderer within the family environs but in public they would never display anything but a united front and denial of any guilt. I sometimes think that was the way with the Ramsey family.

I believe this could be the Anthony family's mindset.

Or maybe they're just all disturbed.

I'm the step-parent of an adult child with borderline personality disorder.

IMHO Casey probably has bpd (at a minimum - usually there are co-morbid disorders as well) and it's very difficult to diagnose and treat.

A book was recommended to me by a mental health prof once at a time when the bpd in my family was "Baker Acted." The title is I Hate You, Don't Leave Me, and the title alone gives you a good idea about bpd. Another book for family and friends of someone with bpd is called Walking on Eggshells. 'Nuf said!

I suspect George and Cindy have developed, over many years, a pattern of dealing with Casey that minimizes the "drama." That might be what they are still doing now, either consciously or unconsciously. If consciously, they may have been advised by LE/mental health professional/etc to try to make Casey feel believed and comfortable and loved in order to have her open up.

I feel so sad for the entire Anthony family, including Casey. I think there are two explanations for her behavior: 1) mental illness or 2) under the control of "evil." In either case, they are up against something that is very complicated, cunning and baffling.

While we can all be armchair "analysts," speaking from personal experience, I know that by the time you've dealt with a bpd sufferer for long enough, you feel like the crazy one! Counseling for family members is definitely needed to not end up in a situation like this! Prayer helps, too! God can and will turn the worst of situations into a blessing.

After many years (and much counseling and prayer) I am no longer hostage to my bpd step-daughter, but it has been a painful journey. It's also painful to watch other family members continue to struggle with her. Some family members are on their own journey to deal with her, and others are in denial. All I know is I had to "apply the oxygen mask to myself before I could help anyone else."

This case is about as bizarre as they come, and Casey and her family are very easy to dislike and criticize.

Casey needs to be prosecuted and pay the price for what she's done already (lie, steal, etc.)...it's the only way for us to have a civilized society, and the only way she can at least begin to become a responsible adult.

If she is tried and convicted on any more serious charges (human trafficking, murder, etc) the same applies.

If any other family members aided/abetted in any of her crimes, or committed crimes of their own, the same applies.

:Justice:​

I always try to remember two things:

1. We are protected by a Constitution that states we are innocent until proven guilty and provides for due process.

2. I should not judge the actions of another person until I've walked a mile in their shoes.

:smiliescale:​

I certainly feel enormous anger :furious: about this case, but I know the anger is better directed toward the illness and/or spirit of evil.

:clap::clap::clap:

Serious emotional issues with this poor family. Enabling, Co-Dependancy, and PTSS all the way around.

I found out today my 18 year old was arrested on 8/31, he didn't call me to get him out of jail, I didn't ask how he got out of jail, he hired his own attorney, I offered no money he asked for no money, I am not feeling anything but disappointment and anger...this because he was involved in a fight with a total stranger...imagine how I would act if he killed my own flesh and blood..I DON'T GET IT...where are the boundaries with this family, responsibility for adult behavior etc...this case is going to drive me crazy

They coddle her because they love her.

B.S.

no parent loves their child more then I love my son, I am a mess, have been in an asthma attack since I got the news, my dad is driving 200 miles to come and see me tomorrow because I am so hysterical WITH THAT SAID my son is an adult, I called the attorney today and was told HE IS AN ADULT can't discuss with you, IF you really believe what you wrote I have to ask then what did they feel for Caylee BECAUSE they sure haven't "coddleded" her! PART OF LOVE IS TEACHING RIGHT FROM WRONG!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catmom953
Back