Why This case Is So Popular ??

For me personally? It would be because I am a mom of 4. I just can't fathom anything that do/don't come out of KC's mouth as a MOTHER. I would kill to protect my kids. I was also a young single mom, but not of a healthy child. It is very hard, but never would I of every hurt her. ever. No matter what.

I also am a "newbie" and am slowly venturing outside this particular board and checking out other cases. Especially child involved ones. We live in the same area Jacob Wetterling was abducted from and I will forever think about him and we would be the same age. It's scary.

it originally caught my attention because the Anthony's only live about ten minutes down the street from me. After that, all the craziness of it sucked me in and at the heart of it all, a little girl captured my heart. What can I say...now I'm emotionally tied to it.

I wish there wasnt so much interest in this case. So many kids are missing, with parents who wouldnt dream of acting like the A family does. Those families would give everything they have for the exposure this case has gotten. How hurt and frustrated those parents must feel that their child isnt as important as this one. I cant and wont imagine. I understand why the interest, no one can imagine what the A's are thinking on almost every level. Remember Susan Smith? No one imagined any mother could do that and believed her tears and pleas.

I agree with you on these statements, as I have little compassion for the A's. However, the really scary thing to me was that a little girl COULD be "gone" from her family for as long as Caylee was before Cindy pushed the issue. It's new territory for me to fathom, and I immediately was concerned that this idea would give others the same notion. I think in that way alone, it's good that this has such the media hype, so that this idea (lying to everyone in your life to cover the fact that you [most likely] killed your daughter) is top of mind for people.

My explanation of this is very dear to my heart..
I am a mother of 4 boys, the oldest being 15. Growing up myself, I was the good child, never snuck out, never did drugs, I drank twice and found out at 16 that alcohol did nothing for me but make me giggle for 2 minutes and then knock me out quicker than any pain pill on the market..lol, because of that I hung out with a crowd who was not into partying, not into anything illegal, and I believe that I have been blinded my entire life about what really goes on out there..
Well, until, my 17 almost 18 year old neice started telling me things that were going on in high school....OMG, I thought I would never get over those things..
Cases like this keep me aware of what I could be faced with my own children. Especially what goes on around the party scene..I think the more aware I am of todays teenagers and youth, the better of a parent I can try to be. Not only that but my children have friends, and their parents may be just a clueless as I , and I feel that knowledge could also help someone else.

I am drawn to Casey as well, I don't understand what could have happened to cause whatever went wrong. I did see love in her for Caylee, and just can't figure out what happened..I understand she had problems with her mother, yet can't bring to my heart to believe that her relationship with her mother caused the harm to Caylee. As a mother myself, I would have severed the ties with my mother and don't understand why Casey would have been calling her or anything else. I would love to know how she is composing herself right now..I don't understand it, but because I have children who I am sure will have kids one day, Casey could teach me alot of warning signs that I think could be imperative to raising my children..

You can say that I am using this as a learning experience to a degree with my own children, not that I think anything would ever happen like this, but who is to know? I do know that parents can do their very best, yet still things go wrong..what if that happens and those parents never knew the warning signs?

Caylee has now become a part of my every day life. I can't work, I can't sleep, and I cannot concentrate much..I watch and read all the time. As bad as I want to see those murder charges on Casey, I know right now the only thing that will ease my mind and allow me to take my own life back is this child being found and laid to rest..

It seems like the cases that get the most attention (Natalee Holloway, Laci Peterson, JonBenet Ramsey, Stacy Peterson, Nancy Cooper, and Michelle Young, for example) have one thing in common: A suspect who blatantly and publicly lies about the circumstances surrounding the crime to such an extent that people are completely flabbergasted by the audacity of it and how long it goes on.
Plus, there is that one exchange that I think has drawn so many people to this case:
"If anything happened to Caylee, I'll die -- you understand, I'll die."
"Oh my God," Casey Anthony said. "Calling you guys -- a waste -- a huge waste."

I have been drawn to this case because I live in Orlando, it's right in my backyard to speak and it is all over our news. I was also drawn to the Trenton Duckett case but not as much as Caylee's. I think I may have become to involved with this case because it has consumed my life and probably will now until there are some answers (a body) or a conviction.

I think my main draw to this case is the way Casey is being strung up when there is so little to go on that points in her direction.
Seriously, so she steals...anyone checking these forums from work PC's when they are supposed to be doing what they get paid for is "stealing" in a sense. So, that doesn't make her guilty of murder in my book, at least not without incriminating a whole bunch of forum readers/posters as well.
She lies...who doesn't? Maybe tiny lies, maybe big lies, we all do it. I lied this morning when I told my friend I had to get off the phone so I could go out and get my mail. I really just wanted off the phone...period.
To watch this young woman being raked over the coals without sufficient cause is making me feel a great deal of sympathy towards her. And honestly, I am so thankful that there are people like Jose Baez, Leonard and Tony Padilla and all the others that are willing to help Casey.
We don't know why she has kept her silence. Plain and simple. I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt until I see reason not to.

I hope the underlying reason for her lying in regards to her daughter being missing is to protect Caylee and not her own self.

31 Days. That is what captured my attention and has held it since. It tells me most of what I need to know except where Caylee is now and so bringing her home becomes a mission.

The rest of it is just a sad reality of a family gone so very wrong living in their own world and are of no use in finding her. Caylee is totally dependent on the rest of us to insure she can come back again to get justice and a proper burial.

I think it's becaue of Casey's outright callousness. Even the Ramsey's appeared to care. I have to admit I'm completely obessed and can't be away from WebSleuths for more than a couple of hours. I'm not normally like this!

This is true...even Patsy Ramsey could barely speak when she first appeared on TV. She appeared devastated.

KC never cries. The only time was her first hearing and I think thats because she had been thrown in jail. She is sick. Oh and the first phone call, she wa mad at them trying to get info about Caylee, she just wanted boyfriends number!!!!

I think what draws me to the case is Casey's lack of emotion. It is hard to believe that a mother could be that unfeeling about her missing child, but then children get harmed by their parents every day in this world. I guess I am waiting for some kind of feeling, some show of emotion from Casey that she really does care about her daughter. I will probably be waiting for a long time.

Perhaps part of our fascination is the incredible gall of this family. I for one just want to figure them out! Are they all mentally ill or what? Its just so odd that you cant help but want to know what is going on with these people. I think the GP are in denial, but to this degree is just not normal!
The bigger part is that we want justice for this poor little girl..I dont want to beleive that we live in a society where someone can just discard thier child and get away with it.

And maybe its our fear that Casey will become Floridas OJ!!

It makes me very angry that Skyla and Taylor aren't getting this kind of frenzied attention. We know for SURE that they were murdered and that there's some sick individuals out there who are getting away with it. They were children too and had their whole lives ahead of them. 178 people in this forum at midnight and 2 in Skyla and Taylors. I don't hear about the case at all in the media. I wish that they would cover it daily, but they just seem to have forgotten. I live in Washington and there were no media updates at all that I'm aware of with the recent progress in the case (Grand Jury witnesses). I check in at both forums here at WS daily.

are their families out there keeping it in the media?

I think that is a major issue with a lot of cases....some families will keep it in the public eye and some rely on le to do their jobs, etc.

this case is one of the first cases that has involved incredibly popular social networking sites.

i am a member of one of these sites and even before this case i was amazed at the amount of info people will put out for the public to dissect and judge. i can honestly say that i have come across a number of myspace profiles that divulge pics of the poster's kids in one area and the poster's love of marijuana in another.

not exactly genius, huh?

i think these sites will be a large part of future cases. i think this is just the first.
that's definitely what drew me in.

*Side note to Lady~ We have many cases here which involve these same networking sites and already play a large role in their rapes/murders/disappearances. There are dangers which lurk everywhere.

So then you are saying the majority of people following crime are white folks?

Sorry but I find it offensive to hear people say it is only about beautiful white girls. Who in the audience follows these cases then is the majority White? Why do non whites follow a case that offends them because the victim is a beautiful whitie?

I am not sure what you are saying here, but the media and others have done research on this and the facts don't lie.

Can you name a recent story of a missing minority child or adult that has been sensationalized in the media to the degree that Jon Benet, Caylee, Danielle Van Dam, Lori Hacking, Laci Peterson, and multitudes of others have? Tionda and Diamond Bradley have been missing for years and new info. comes out that could prove they might be alive and they are blips on the news and in the papers. The most info. I have garnered about their case has been from here and their local area. Not the media.

It is a sad realization, but media picks up stories that have an element or degree that appeals to the masses. A missing Latino boy doesn't appeal to the masses at the moment most likely due to the immigration issues and the social stereotypes placed on Latinos. Face it, Caylee appeals to the masses because it started out as a story of a missing granddaughter of a what seemed to be on the surface, a typical middle class, all American, White family. The staying factor of the media and audience is that the mother didn't report her missing initially and the family circus that has followed.

IMO and based on my sociology studies if this were a minority family, it wouldn't make huge headlines like this, because society believes the majority of minority families to be dysfunctional already.

In answer to your questions:

No, white folks are not the only ones that follow crime. I am willing to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people on websleuths are of the Caucasian demographic. I don't believe that people in general follow cases that do not interest them whatever race, ethnicity or heritage they are.

I hate it when people play the x card. Sure the media picks up on things, but what are all the families doing to keep it in the media? If something were to happen to one of my children or family members, yes I would be searching, but I would do everything in my power to have their face, name and story plastered on every news site I could get.

The first time I heard of this case, I saw a snippet on google news about Casey being arested for lying, and her daughter was missing. That caught my attention, and I started trying to find local Orlando news stations to see what was going on. At first, I thought the reporter was just over sensationalizing.

Once I started reading the local news, I found myself keeping up with it due to shock. I couldn't and still cant fathom all the lying, and the gross unconcern about this little girl by the family.

It didn't take too much time after that to find myself spending hours a day looking over what ever information I could get my hands on.

Personally, I think this whole situation has struck a chord with people. Everyone keeps asking, how can they all not be upset about this little girl.
It's a scary thing IMO, and something that makes us all stop and think.

My hope is, that more people will get more involved each and every time a child goes missing after this thing is over.

For me, I just can not imagine having a child, and not loving him/her and doing all of this. I think most people, if not all, feel the same way.

I hate it when people play the x card. Sure the media picks up on things, but what are all the families doing to keep it in the media? If something were to happen to one of my children or family members, yes I would be searching, but I would do everything in my power to have their face, name and story plastered on every news site I could get.

You may hate it when the X card is played, but ask those families of the other missing children if they have not tried to keep their child(ren)'s name in the media spot light. If race and socioeconomic status in addition to the "strangeness" don't factor into why some cases become media darlings, then what exactly is it?

So basically you are saying the families are not doing everything possible to make their story the story of the year and that is why they don't get the media frenzy that the Anthony's get?

If something were to (god forbid) happen to one of your children, I hope you have cute pictures handy, money in the bank, an education, a slow news day, it's close to a holiday, and some type of strange factor. Cause like or not if you are just an average joe, or a stigmatized social group you are pretty much on your own vs. the local LE resources.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back