Why was JB killed?

I just want to add....this poor baby suffered. Why? A panicked parent?

If the only reason she had to die is to protect her abuser, imo it could have been done without the trauma. I think there was anger involved.

I have thought this same thing more than once about JR. I would bet money he lurks these forums.

What's to stop JR, BR, or someone close to them from creating a screen name and coming on here? Perhaps we've already read something one (or more) of them have written....:drumroll:

What's to stop JR, BR, or someone close to them from creating a screen name and coming on here? Perhaps we've already read something one (or more) of them have written....:drumroll:

Perhaps, but if I were JR I think I would just want to know what other people think. Nothing he could say under a fake user name would change any minds anyway. Personally, I think JR and PR did an excellent job in staging and confusing everyone about the true nature of this crime so well that not only was nobody convicted or even charged with the murder but here we are seventeen years later going around in circles without any real hope of solving it. Although I think he's a snake, he should be proud of what he accomplished.

No matter who did what, in the end, JB was killed to cover up the sexual abuse.
I can see no other reason.

I think a lot of the cover up after the murder was definitely to cover up the sexual abuse (wiping blood from thighs, changing panties, etc).

I just want to add....this poor baby suffered. Why? A panicked parent?

If the only reason she had to die is to protect her abuser, imo it could have been done without the trauma. I think there was anger involved.

Agreed. If she had suddenly started mentioning abuse to outsiders and they felt they had to 'silence' her, I think they'd have a better plan and not go about it that way. That would have been a planned and deliberate act. But I also don't think the idea that she yelled and got hit as a knee-jerk reaction to shut her up makes sense, given the severity. I can't figure it out.

I have often wondered whether Patsy suspected that John had begun molesting JBR, or was grooming her for that, and killed her to protect her. If Patsy's cancer returned and she died, she wouldn't be there to intervene. In the interview where Patsy says JBR would never have to suffer from cancer or know the death of a child, I wonder whether this other possibility of 'would never have to live through the nightmare of being sexually abused for years by her father' was lurking behind her words. Maybe JBR was killed not so much to protect a secret but to prevent her from living out that particular secret.

All that said, Patsy strikes me as a person with complex motives. She set great store by her Miss West Virginia title and would not have liked being replaced by this new little pageant winner daughter. Behind her words might also have been the thought, 'She'll never have to know what it's like to lose her looks and sexual vitality and her husband's interest to cancer like I did.'

Interesting theory...but why not just suffocate her? Why all the trauma?

I think a lot of the cover up after the murder was definitely to cover up the sexual abuse (wiping blood from thighs, changing panties, etc).

I absolutely agree with you, Tawny. I think we're looking at 3 different things here...the head trauma, the strangulation and the staging. I suspect the motivation for each of those may not have been the same.

JMO

Suppose JB told BR that she wouldn't play doctor anymore, and that she was going to tell the parents if he didn't leave her alone. What if he insisted, and knew she was going to tell the parents? I also think he may have told them an accident happened, and they realized that she had been molested. They didn't know about the head injury, and she may have already been dead when BR called them. If she was dead, they really went overboard with the staging, which resulted in the fibers from PR's jacket on the garrote and the tape.
Could JB have smeared the feces on the candy, to keep BR from eating it, and how angry would he be when he saw what was done to the candy?

If she was dead then it didn't take them long to figure out putting her into the wine room. B didn't seem to know exactly where she was finally discovered by John. One question I have is about livor. If JonBenet was found more than twenty minutes after death, could she have been moved a short distance into the wine room in exactly the same position as found without altering the already set livor?

Interesting theory...but why not just suffocate her? Why all the trauma?
You highlight some questions I have regarding PDI theories. As well, it's difficult for me to understand the origin of many BDI theories. The head injuries JonBenet sustained were the result of a deliberate act. Then, factoring in the RN, the construction of "the garrote", the sexual assault, the evidentiary DNA, etc; I find it QUITE difficult to follow any pure RDI theory. Some man, that isn't a Ramsey, is responsible for the sexual assault and death of JonBenet. IMO.

Everything after the head bash, IMHO, is cover up. I think the sexual assault happened first, then head bash, and then every other thing that happened after is cover up. JMO!!

One thing I find interesting is that the staging...was very over-the-top. The R's could have dumped JonBenet's body outside, and claimed that some predator had kidnapped her from her bed. But instead they wrote a RN by some foreign faction who tried to kidnap JBR because of her family's wealth. They didn't make JonBenet out to be some randomly chosen victim who was spotted by a predator because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time...instead, she was specifically chosen because someone was jealous over her father's success. I can see how each of the parents might have had input into what exactly the staging should have been; Patsy would've liked how dramatic it was, and John would have liked that an entire faction from another country was jealous of how successful and wealthy he had become.

But if the R's wanted to, they could have claimed it was an accident, and they were rich, had influence, etc...They weren't getting arrested. But I don't think Patsy wanted JonBenet to be the victim of an accidental death.

One thing I find interesting is that the staging...was very over-the-top. The R's could have dumped JonBenet's body outside, and claimed that some predator had kidnapped her from her bed. But instead they wrote a RN by some foreign faction who tried to kidnap JBR because of her family's wealth. They didn't make JonBenet out to be some randomly chosen victim who was spotted by a predator because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time...instead, she was specifically chosen because someone was jealous over her father's success. I can see how each of the parents might have had input into what exactly the staging should have been; Patsy would've liked how dramatic it was, and John would have liked that an entire faction from another country was jealous of how successful and wealthy he had become.

But if the R's wanted to, they could have claimed it was an accident, and they were rich, had influence, etc...They weren't getting arrested. But I don't think Patsy wanted JonBenet to be the victim of an accidental death.

eileenhawkeye,
The R's could never explain away her acute sexual assault, never mind the glaringly obvious chronic abuse, and subsequent erosion of her private parts!

It looks like Patsy added the paintbrush handle as an afterthought, a dramatic touch to match the bizarre ransom note.

eileenhawkeye,
The R's could never explain away her acute sexual assault, never mind the glaringly obvious chronic abuse, and subsequent erosion of her private parts!

It looks like Patsy added the paintbrush handle as an afterthought, a dramatic touch to match the bizarre ransom note.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? If prior sexual abuse occurred, it doesn't seem obvious based upon the contrasting opinions of experts of which I'm aware. I could very well be wrong, as I haven't been studying this case as long as many others...

eileenhawkeye,

How did you arrive at this conclusion? If prior sexual abuse occurred, it doesn't seem obvious based upon the contrasting opinions of experts of which I'm aware. I could very well be wrong, as I haven't been studying this case as long as many others...

Mama2JML,
Careful reading of the autopsy report and the expert opinion of other pediatricians.

I thought only one expert said he couldn't give a diagnosis of sexual abuse, because he wanted to be 100% sure with evidence of VD or the child telling. All the rest thought chronic abuse. One even thought a penis had violated JonBenet in the past.

BBMI agree. Chances are slim that an accident caused JonBenet's skull fracture(s). IMO.

A summary from Child Abuse and Neglect: Diagnosis, Treatment and Evidence describes common findings in head injuries sustained accidentally vs. deliberately:

Jenny, C. (2010). Child abuse and neglect: diagnosis, treatment, and evidence. St. Louis: Elsevier Health Sciences.

From the autopsy report:

Just for the sake of clarification, when we say the head wound was an "accident" in this case, we mean that it was more of a mistake. The person did not intend to kill her; it just happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back