WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything from the press conference yet? (I think Wisc. is an hour behind OH)

Opie said:
Anything from the press conference yet? (I think Wisc. is an hour behind OH)

I did not see the conference, if they had it. I am just starting work at that time, so maybe I missed it. Anyone else??????

Here is another local article I just found. Gives a little more info. Says he has a fiance, so he is not married yet. I think another poster asked if he was married yet. Seems the fiance lives with him in a trailer behind the salvage lot.

http://sheboygan-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051107/MAN0101/511070471/1358

The article says dogs have uncovered some leads, but they are not saying. Says there are over 5,000 cars at the salvage lot, so alot to go through. Says she was to another appt. with someone else in the area.

You can actually watch the press conference on the wfrv website. The prosecutor that was answering questions was fairly vague, but it seems there was a significant amount of evidence in the vehicle and they have obtained a number of search warrants. Said there would be another press conference held tomorrow in which they might be able to divulge more information. No persons of interest or suspects have been named and the case is still listed as a missing person. There were a lot of reporter's questions that were asked, but very few that he could actually answer, at the end of the conference.

Just now getting back to read this thread (real life does interfere with that). Thank you for the info.

POSTED: 9:13 pm CST November 7, 2005
UPDATED: 10:18 pm CST November 7, 2005

MISHICOT, Wis. -- Manitowoc County investigators will hold a news conference Tuesday morning to release the latest information on the search for Teresa Halbach.

Halbach, a freelance photographer, was last seen Oct. 31.

Her family spoke to reporters Monday. "We hope she will come home," said brother Mike Halbach. "At the same time we are preparing for the worst, but we don't know where she is. Until we know where she is, we definitely think she will come home to us."

Authorities are now concentrating their search at a salvage yard near Mishicot, just north of Manitowoc.

A police tip led investigators to the salvage yard Saturday where they found Halbach's Toyota Rav4

Ironically the salvage yard is owned by Steven Avery's family.

Police believe Avery may have been the last person to see Halbach alive.

Avery remains at a family cabin north of Green Bay near Crivitz.
Authorities are not allowing him back on the salvage yard property.

Avery said he couldn't go there anyway because police seized two family vehicles and he is without transportation.

More: http://www.channel3000.com/news/5274344/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news

lostfaith said:
Interesting reading on this one. And the author is right, if Avery did truely did something to this girl, the Manitowac police dept. better stay far, far away from the investigation!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov05/368799.asp

Here is an article written by the woman who Steve Avery was accused of raping back in the 80's. That poor woman, she felt terrible about Avery being falsely imprisioned.

http://www.theforgivenessproject.com/stories/penny-beernsten
Thanks for the links. Both of this articles are very touching.

What a mess, basically. The family needs answers and yet they are caught in this Le/Legal walk on eggs situation. So frustrating.

The Halbach family is so gracious as this heartbreaking search continues.
Prayers and thoughts for them.

Hoping they find Teresa soon.

Halbach disappearance timeline

Sunday, Oct. 30: Teresa Marie Halbach was at her parent’s home in Sherwood for a family gathering.

Monday, Oct. 31: She fulfills three appointments for Auto Trader Magazine, including one at Avery’s Auto Salvage.

Thursday, Nov. 3: The Halbach family reports her missing to the Calumet County authorities. The agency asks the Manitowoc County Sheriff’s Department to interview Steven Avery, who lives at the salvage yard.

Friday, Nov. 4: Avery admits in media interviews he saw Halbach on Monday, but denies involvement in her disappearance.

Saturday, Nov. 5: Volunteer searchers find Halbach’s vehicle at the salvage yard. Authorities begin a search of the entire premises.

Sunday, Nov. 6: Avery’s car and a flatbed truck are confiscated by Marinette County authorities at an Avery family property near Crivitz.

Monday, Nov. 7: The Wisconsin State Crime Lab issues a preliminary report on Halbach’s car, finding what Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz calls “significant” evidence.

Information sought

The Calumet County Sheriff’s Department is leading the investigation into the disappearance of Teresa Marie Halbach, a 25-year-old St. John woman. Anyone with information that could assist in the search for her is encouraged to call the department at 920-849-2335.

Local authorities are also accepting tips:

Manitowoc County Sheriff’s Department: 920-683-4200

Manitowoc Police Department: 920-686-6500

In the news

The search for Teresa Marie Halbach is expected to be a topic of discussion on Fox News Channel’s “On The Record with Greta Van Susteren” at 9 p.m. CST today.

http://www.wisinfo.com/heraldtimes/news/archive/local_23301295.shtml

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051108/APC0101/511080339/1003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Posted November 8, 2005 [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Lives come to a halt amid search [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Halbachs, Averys cope with spotlight and fear [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MISHICOT — For two families thrust into the public spotlight after the disappearance of a Calumet County woman a week ago, the search for Teresa Halbach has put their lives in turmoil. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are the families of Halbach and Steven Avery. Halbach's vehicle was found Saturday on Avery's family property in northern Manitowoc County. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For Halbach's family, which includes her parents, an older brother, a younger brother and two younger sisters, time is mostly spent at their farm home near St. John, or the farm home next door that Teresa, 25, rented from her parents. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Her brother Mike Halbach said more than 200 people have stopped by to offer help, and to help search areas north and west of Mishicot, the Manitowoc county village where she was last seen Oct. 31. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That help, and the hundreds of people who turned out for a prayer vigil in Sherwood Monday night, have helped the family, he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's obviously been one of the roughest times of our life," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"But there are people out there who generally care and want to help. There are good people out there. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We can't thank everybody who has helped enough. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"For the most part we are staying optimistic. You hope you get answers soon," he said of the disappearance of his sister, a freelance photographer. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But for the family of Steven Avery, who owns the land and salvage yard where Halbach's sport utility vehicle was found, the past few days have been worse than the time 20 years ago, when he was arrested and convicted on a sexual assault charge, eventually serving 18 years in prison before being cleared by DNA evidence in 2003. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This is worse than 1985," he told The Post-Crescent in a telephone interview Monday. "They've got everybody nuts — my whole family is nuts." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since Halbach's vehicle was found in the salvage yard his brother runs on Avery Road west of here, the family has not been allowed on their property. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said that 40-acre parcel includes a home, the mobile home he lived in, a business office and more than 30 acres of salvage yard — areas that have been closed off since Saturday as more than 200 police officers execute search warrants. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Police also impounded his brother Chuck's flatbed truck, and Sunday night impounded Steven Avery's car as his nephew drove it to a store in Crivitz. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery said he hasn't heard from police, and doesn't know when the family will be allowed back on their property. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I guess I sit and wait," he said. "They just told me to sit still. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I don't see how they (police investigators) can spend that much time on that little lot. We've got nothing to hide. They can look around." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]His brother Chuck Avery said the searches have affected the entire family. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"They took my flatbed. I don't know why," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We're willing to help them out to the best of our knowledge. We've given two statements already. When they start asking question over question, it's time to pull the plug." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steven Avery said several times during the interview that he never said much more than "hi" and "goodbye" to Halbach during the several visits she made to his home in the past year to photograph cars he had for sale. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"That's about it," he said, saying she was at his home about 2 or 2:30 p.m. Oct. 31. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's been a year or over a year," that she had been going to the home to photograph his cars, he said. "I've got nothing to hide." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But Avery, who has filed a lawsuit against Manitowoc County authorities for his 1985 arrest and conviction, said he expects the worst. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I've got a hunch they are spending so much time there they are finding evidence," he said. "I just sit and wait and see if they arrest me. What else can I do? I can't run." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He believes the case being built against him is a personal vendetta by Manitowoc County officials. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"They are out to get me and my family, and I'll go down," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manitowoc County Dist. Atty. Mark Rohrer said he asked a judge to appoint Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz special prosecutor in the case as soon as Halbach's vehicle was found on Avery property. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"There is absolutely nothing to a vendetta," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manitowoc County Undersheriff Rob Hermann said it is obvious a "cloud of suspicion" hangs over Steven Avery. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But, Hermann said, it is too early in the investigation to zero in on Avery. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We've got to keep an open mind," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kratz said the investigation involves several counties around Manitowoc County, and has included a "significant number of search warrants" since Halbach's vehicle was found. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is moving forward at what is now a very rapid pace," he said of the investigation. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said investigators have received preliminary information from the state Crime Lab in Madison, which has been analyzing Halbach's vehicle, Chuck Avery's truck and other evidence. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Some evidence which has led to other investigative efforts," Kratz said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said he and Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel, who are heading the investigation that includes officers from Calumet and Manitowoc counties, other area counties and the state Division of Criminal Investigation, expect there will be "significant developments we should be able to talk about" at a press conference later today. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In other developments: [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Kratz said officers have executed "more detailed (search) warrants," including on buildings and on land on the perimeter of Avery's property. [/font][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] He refused to say what investigators' interest was in a burn barrel in the northwest corner of the salvage yard, where observers could see crime scene tape. [/font][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Kratz said he would not confirm the last three places Halbach was seen the day she disappeared, after officials said they were aware of three appointments she had to take photos. [/font][/font]
<li>[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Kratz said "various degrees of evidence have been recovered," but added "the nature of that I cannot disclose." [/font][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] John Lee can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 362, or by e-mail at jlee@postcrescent.com. [/font][/font]

I'm usually good at reading people, but I don't get any feeling
when seeing this Steve guy interviewed.

He acts VERY innocent and even seemed to have tears in his
eyes when said he thinks they are just after him...

Maybe he was set up? Maybe he's a good actor???

Something significant in her car? Wondering.....................

I read that while Steve Avery was first arrested for the rape that he did not commit, he was on bond for forcing a woman into his vehicle, then I also read that he had pointed a shotgun in the face of a deputy's wife... So, regardless that he did not commit the rape, (I am sorry that he spent 18 years in prison for a crime he is innocent of) he is not the boy next door either. He obviously has some type of violent tendancies.

I wouldn't convict him at this point, but I am really beginning to believe he is guilty. All he talks about is how this is a set up, the officials are out to get him, they have always been out to get him.... etc.... it sounds like he obviously plans on using this as a defense..

domestic violence, animal abuse???? I've heard this on the net but his rap sheet doesn't show all this (maybe he wasn't charged for it????)
Disorderly conduct in February 05 is there and he pled guilty.

The cops don't like this man for many reasons...people in this area know that so I'm sure the prosecution/detectives will be very thorough..

Crimes/convictions that are considered old are many times not availble on a criminal history or on line court records....
So, just because we don't see them, doesn't mean they dont exist.... :waitasec:

There will be a press release at 3:00 their time today.

1000Sparks said:
domestic violence, animal abuse???? I've heard this on the net but his rap sheet doesn't show all this (maybe he wasn't charged for it????)
Disorderly conduct in February 05 is there and he pled guilty.

The cops don't like this man for many reasons...people in this area know that so I'm sure the prosecution/detectives will be very thorough..
He got 6 years for the assault on the deputy's wife...it was to be served concurrent with his rape conviction in 1985.....

I would feel much better if the above hadn't happened and the cruelty to animals charge doesn't make me feel any better towards this guy....sorry, no warm fuzzie's for him coming from me.....

Disorderly conduct in February 2005? Hmmmm hinkey meter going off....same meter going off with Steve's brother....why confiscate his brother's flat bed truck....do they crush/compact cars at this salvage yard....I would be checkin' those if they do..... if I was L.E.!!!!

"
Disorderly conduct in February 2005? Hmmmm hinkey meter going off....same meter going off with Steve's brother....why confiscate his brother's flat bed truck....do they crush/compact cars at this salvage yard....I would be checkin' those if they do..... if I was L.E.!!!!"

Yes they crush/compact cars, burns them, etc. My daughter's boyfriend was there a few weeks back. Said they could destroy everything onn a car..

Right now they have a burning pit roped off....???????????

I just don't know.............

1000Sparks said:
"
Disorderly conduct in February 2005? Hmmmm hinkey meter going off....same meter going off with Steve's brother....why confiscate his brother's flat bed truck....do they crush/compact cars at this salvage yard....I would be checkin' those if they do..... if I was L.E.!!!!"

Yes they crush/compact cars, burns them, etc. My daughter's boyfriend was there a few weeks back. Said they could destroy everything onn a car..

Right now they have a burning pit roped off....???????????

I just don't know.............
Thanks for the info sparks :) . Burning pit :eek:

What bothers me though is why leave her vehicle there to be discovered? If he/they wanted to get rid of evidence...crushing her car and burning it would be the way to go.....:waitasec: .

Seems there is real bitterness from Steve towards the police....not saying I blame him but that said he wasn't the "nicest guy" on the block when this all happened to him in 1985....perhaps this is a case of boiling resentment building up over the years & coming to this end result....Maybe he's not getting his 36 million claim settled fast enough so he thought he would accelerate the media attention on him a little....seems way out there but you never know!!!

joanofarc said:
He got 6 years for the assault on the deputy's wife...it was to be served concurrent with his rape conviction in 1985.....

I would feel much better if the above hadn't happened and the cruelty to animals charge doesn't make me feel any better towards this guy....sorry, no warm fuzzie's for him coming from me.....

Disorderly conduct in February 2005? Hmmmm hinkey meter going off....same meter going off with Steve's brother....why confiscate his brother's flat bed truck....do they crush/compact cars at this salvage yard....I would be checkin' those if they do..... if I was L.E.!!!!

No warm fuzzies this way either ...

LE is searching through EVERY car on the property.. Talk about time consuming !!

I think he knows much more than he is telling - and he is trying to CYA by continually bringing up "police corruption"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member