WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
In WI we have a bill being debated today that is named after Steven Avery. I attend law school at UW Madison, which is the home of the Innocence Project which got Avery's conviction overturned. I predict it will be a huge blow to the project, and to the wrongful conviction movement if he is implicated in this disappearance.

And - although innocent until proven guilty - it sure is a coincidence.

for your project. He was innocent of the rape charge. That no way means he's a model citizen.

My daughter's boyfriend said the same thing about her vehicle. Why didn't they destroy it immediately because they have all means to do it.

Maybe this is a setup...not by the cops, but by some "friend".

1000Sparks said:
for your project. He was innocent of the rape charge. That no way means he's a model citizen.

My daughter's boyfriend said the same thing about her vehicle. Why didn't they destroy it immediately because they have all means to do it.

Maybe he was planning on it.. Maybe he didn't think he would be checked out so soon, so he was in no hurry..... KWIM ???

Ang50 said:
In WI we have a bill being debated today that is named after Steven Avery. I attend law school at UW Madison, which is the home of the Innocence Project which got Avery's conviction overturned. I predict it will be a huge blow to the project, and to the wrongful conviction movement if he is implicated in this disappearance.

And - although innocent until proven guilty - it sure is a coincidence.
Talk about coincidence,..the Avery bill is being debated today???

I strongly believe the Innocence Project is a great thing.

1000Sparks said:

Good point,Sparks.

Since the car is on his property, it can only mean 2 things.....1..Avery or family member was involved or 2. he was set up

IMO..don't thing LE would do it...possible that *friend*

lisag said:
Maybe he was planning on it.. Maybe he didn't think he would be checked out so soon, so he was in no hurry..... KWIM ???
Don't know what KWIM stands for, but he wasn't really checked out that soon; I think it was at least three days after she disappeared before she was even reported missing. Also if he had anything to do with it I can't see him thinking the cops wouldn't check him out, being one of the last people to see someone that goes missing is always going to get you checked out, especially with his past (not referring to the erroneous rape charge, but the others). It would just be plain stupid of him not to get rid of the car or completely destroy it if he had the capability. But, criminals in general aren't often attending mensa meetings in their spare time. Not sure what I think of the guy, waiting on more evidence....

docwho3 said:
KWIM=Know What I Mean? (according to the Acronym finder)source link
Thanks, didn't have time to look it up when I posted...my internet is slow today for some reason and I was in a hurry! I've never seen that one before and I couldn't figure it out. I think the "K" threw me off since the actual word is an "N" sound :).

Anyone know what happened at today's press conference?

On WTMJ4 (out of Milwaukee) they are saying that police are changing their focus from this being a "missing person" case to that of a person in grave danger. (Can't figure out how to word that, sorry.)

They said this is based on "significant evidence" that was found, but they will not say where it was found, and when asked specifically if it was blood, they replied only that they are awaiting tests from the state crime lab.

The next 24-48 hours are "crucial." (That is when they will have test results back.)

Doesn't sound good for Teresa.

Halbach case a criminal investigation

Posted November 8, 2005
By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer

MISHICOT - Investigators sought evidence of an abduction and homicide in the Teresa Halbach disappearance when they requested a court order to seize Steven Avery’s car and a tow truck owned by his brothers.

Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said the investigation surrounding Halbach’s Oct. 31 disappearance has moved from a missing-person case to a criminal investigation.

According to Calumet County Circuit Court documents reviewed Tuesday in Chilton by The Post-Crescent, the first of nearly 20 search warrants was returned after officers seized Avery’s 1993 Pontiac and a red 2005 tow truck registered to Charles and Earl Avery, Steven’s brothers.

Charles and Earl Avery operate the northern Manitowoc County salvage yard where the search for Halbach, a 25-year-old rural Calumet County woman, is centered.

Steven Avery, 43, served 18 years in prison on a sexual assault charge. He was released in 2003 after DNA evidence exonerated him.

The Halbach case’s status changed after the state Crime Lab analyzed evidence found by investigators after the missing woman’s vehicle was discovered Saturday.

The search warrant request said investigators sought Halbach, clothing she was wearing when she disappeared, and other property she owned, such as photography equipment and electronic storage devices.

The warrant also sought forensic evidence "including, but not limited to, fiber evidence, blood, hair, saliva, semen and fingerprints."

Also, the warrant request said, police sought "instrumentalities capable of taking a human life including, but not limited to, weapons, firearms, cutting instruments, ropes and ligatures."

That warrant was issued by Calumet County Circuit Judge Donald Poppy at 12:15 p.m. Saturday, about two hours after Halbach’s sport utility vehicle was found in the Averys’ salvage yard.

Calumet County Dist. Atty. Kenneth Kratz, the special prosecutor in the Manitowoc County case, told The Post-Crescent Tuesday night the search warrants were issued on the assumptions of early evidence.

"The search warrant requires us to choose from a plethora of criminal choices, and the circumstances surrounding this include a homicide, kidnapping and sexual assault," Kratz said. "The circumstances surrounding the missing person suggested one or more of those crimes."

Kratz said most of the search warrants have been issued in Calumet and Manitowoc counties, with the "lion’s share" in Manitowoc County.

Court records searched Tuesday by The Post-Crescent also disclosed that Charles Avery, 51, has a criminal record, including arrests for disorderly conduct, domestic violence and sexual assault.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051108/APC0101/51108037

NBC 26 out of Green Bay led the 10:00 pm newscast just now with the Teresa Halbach story...they're calling her a "victim"...saying it doesn't look good...150 officers working the case...Avery property is part of the search area...they're digging with heavy equipment and saying she may be buried or underground...Steve Avery tears up and says "We're all victims"....[gag]...Sheriff says as far as he's concerned there is only one victim....still don't know if Halbach's car left the Avery property and then ended up back there, or if it never left the property...DNA evidence may come back as soon as tomorrow from the lab [that would be Wed]...LE is being incredibly tight-lipped and there is a huge and tight perimeter set up...

Hoppy

lostfaith said:
I was just gonna post this article, but you beat me to it! :)

It is very odd that the last appt. was with that Steve Avery guy! I really hope that it is not him. I remember when he got released, they showed it on T.V. and I really felt sorry for the guy! I just hope he is not the perp., if there is one, but really, really odd that he just happened to be her last appt.

That Avery guy either has really, really bad luck, or......
He did spend 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit.

When I heard about this case on one of the shows tonight and heard that her car had been found in Steve Avery's junkyard I thought "what a perfect place for someone to park her car. Everyone in that area knows that this man was in prison for 18 years for a crime he didn't commit...DNA proved that.
But what a perfect setup. Take this girl and then at some later time when no one was at the junkyard take her car there and park it. Put the suspicion on this man." I hope that they find fingerprints in the car. They said that there was evidence inside of the car but didn't say what was found. It sure doesn't sound good at all.

PrayersForMaura said:
POSTED: 9:13 pm CST November 7, 2005
UPDATED: 10:18 pm CST November 7, 2005

MISHICOT, Wis. -- Manitowoc County investigators will hold a news conference Tuesday morning to release the latest information on the search for Teresa Halbach.

Halbach, a freelance photographer, was last seen Oct. 31.

Her family spoke to reporters Monday. "We hope she will come home," said brother Mike Halbach. "At the same time we are preparing for the worst, but we don't know where she is. Until we know where she is, we definitely think she will come home to us."

Authorities are now concentrating their search at a salvage yard near Mishicot, just north of Manitowoc.

A police tip led investigators to the salvage yard Saturday where they found Halbach's Toyota Rav4

Ironically the salvage yard is owned by Steven Avery's family.

Police believe Avery may have been the last person to see Halbach alive.

Avery remains at a family cabin north of Green Bay near Crivitz.
Authorities are not allowing him back on the salvage yard property.

Avery said he couldn't go there anyway because police seized two family vehicles and he is without transportation.

More: http://www.channel3000.com/news/5274344/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news

I wonder who tipped the LE that the car was at the salvage yard....interesting. Someone wanted to make sure the cops found the car right away.

lostfaith said:
Interesting reading on this one. And the author is right, if Avery did truely did something to this girl, the Manitowac police dept. better stay far, far away from the investigation!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov05/368799.asp

Here is an article written by the woman who Steve Avery was accused of raping back in the 80's. That poor woman, she felt terrible about Avery being falsely imprisioned.

http://www.theforgivenessproject.com/stories/penny-beernsten

If this man was full of bitterness and was going to "get back" at someone you would think that he would figure out a way to "get back" at the person who put him away for 18 yrs. That would make more sense to me.

I remember when this man was released and when he met face to face with his accuser. He didn't hate her. I don't know how I would have felt in his shoes. I kept thinking...he lost 18 yrs of his life for nothing. I would like to hear the story of his cruelty to animals and anything else he has previously done or been accused of. I would like to hear both sides of the story. It didn't sound like he was going to harm the LE person's wife. If he was really a monster at heart it wouldn't have mattered to him whether there was a baby in the car with the woman or not. I also wonder if he was into drugs back then....it was in the 80's. Been a long time ago.

I can't remember why but I was left with the feeling that Steve Avery was a kind gentle man. I hope that I'm right.

Bobbisangel said:
If this man was full of bitterness and was going to "get back" at someone you would think that he would figure out a way to "get back" at the person who put him away for 18 yrs. That would make more sense to me.

I remember when this man was released and when he met face to face with his accuser. He didn't hate her. I don't know how I would have felt in his shoes. I kept thinking...he lost 18 yrs of his life for nothing. I would like to hear the story of his cruelty to animals and anything else he has previously done or been accused of. I would like to hear both sides of the story. It didn't sound like he was going to harm the LE person's wife. If he was really a monster at heart it wouldn't have mattered to him whether there was a baby in the car with the woman or not. I also wonder if he was into drugs back then....it was in the 80's. Been a long time ago.

I can't remember why but I was left with the feeling that Steve Avery was a kind gentle man. I hope that I'm right.

Bobbisangel, I am so with you on this one. I felt really sorry for the guy when he was released, and I too thought he looked kind and gentle. I just cant believe he would pull something like this with all that has happened to him. And if he did, he was incredibley stupid leaving the car where it was found. I know what people will say, criminals are not smart, and lots of kind and gentle looking men are killers. I am just gonna wait this one out and hold out hope it is not him. I really do not want it to be. But if it is, I am gonna have to kick myself really, really hard. I read that the rape victim he was accused of raping lives in Ill. now. I wonder how she is feeling about all of this, wish she would be interviewed, that would be very interesting. Did you read in one of the links I posted that his brother Charles had a sex crime against him?

1000Sparks said:

I think someone is setting him up too. It doesn't make any sense to leave her car sitting there where anyone can see it. Especially with evidence inside. Those brothers could have smashed it flat after they removed anything on it that would have identified it. They would know how to do all of that stuff. It never would have been discovered.

On the news tonight the sheriff said that Steve hasn't been into any trouble since he was released from prison...except for a minor thing or two but he said they were no big deals/deal. Remember, he got into trouble way back in 1985. That is a long time ago. He could have been using drugs or alcohol back then and did some stupid things.

I don't blame him for not trusting LE. I wouldn't trust them either if I had spent 18 yrs in prison for a crime I didn't commit. It would feel like it was going to happen all over again. It must feel like a nightmare come true...if he is innocent. I'm going to stay on the side of innocent for this guy until I hear different. If he turns out to be guilty I will eat my dirty sock :D

Here is a article with a little info. I had not heard.

He set a cat on fire. :(

I had read the reason he pulled that sherrifs wife over, but I cant for the life of me remember now.

Alot of people do dumb things when they are young. I hope I am not wrong about him.

lostfaith said:
Bobbisangel, I am so with you on this one. I felt really sorry for the guy when he was released, and I too thought he looked kind and gentle. I just cant believe he would pull something like this with all that has happened to him. And if he did, he was incredibley stupid leaving the car where it was found. I know what people will say, criminals are not smart, and lots of kind and gentle looking men are killers. I am just gonna wait this one out and hold out hope it is not him. I really do not want it to be. But if it is, I am gonna have to kick myself really, really hard. I read that the rape victim he was accused of raping lives in Ill. now. I wonder how she is feeling about all of this, wish she would be interviewed, that would be very interesting. Did you read in one of the links I posted that his brother Charles had a sex crime against him?

Yes, I did read that about his brother. After everything this family went through you would think they would all tow the line like mad. I wonder if Steve was still there when Teresa was taking her pictures of the vehicle? Did he leave while she was still busy but his brother was there? We haven't heard his alibi yet.

I wonder if his pictures were her last appt. of the day or if she still had one left? They said that she had three appts and had been to all three. Lots of questions. I just don't think that he did this crime. That is the feeling that I have but maybe I feel that way because I don't want him to be guilty. It seems that Steve said she was there between 2-2:30. Her brother said the last call on her phone was at 2:00.

If the brother did it you would think that he would have gotten rid of the car though. It just doesn't make any sense. I'd like to know who made the call to LE about the car being at the salvage yard. Did they give their name or not.

It sounds like LE already know that Teresa is no doubt dead. It sounds like they have collected quite a bit of evidence. I swear it seems that a girl this age disappears daily. There for a while it was young (little) girls and now for quite a while it has been older girls. We live in a scary world.

It sounded to me like a group of her friends and family asked the Avery's if they could search on thier property and then they found her car. I read that somewhere, I will try to find the link. If that is true, it doesnt sound like someone called it in. Did you read somewhere else that LE had gotten a call?

If he did this, there are gonna be alot of people very angry with him. Alot of people really did alot of work to get him out of prison.

another article....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...IOL-?SITE=WIFON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member