Woman Gives Birth To Octuplets In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to get sucked into this story, but I have to comment on this situation. First of all, having gone through IVF myself, I know that the doctors will possibly lose research funding if they have outcomes like this. More than two babies is not what any normal doctor would want, even if they don't receive funding - it's dangerous for the mother.

I find it so irresponsible that this was allowed to happen. And being a resident of California and having to jump through hoops to get my daughters cast paid for by the insurance company, I hope this pumped-lipped !d!0# has insurance to cover this 3 million OR they go after her once she peddles her story to the rag mags. This woman is a fraud and is exactly why people like myself and many others get stuck with high medical insurance when we do the right thing. And the state is bankrupt on top of it. The whole thing makes me want to scream.

Not doing the procedure, but talking to her while she was pg with the twins and with the dr. about the success of the procedure.

Interesting b/c it is an indictment against them both for using 6 (or 8) embryos at once. She specifically says that it worked "BAM the first time!" and the dr talks about why this type of "seeding" IVF is so successful. Since Nadya has managed to have such good results all 5 times, why would they feel the need to implant her with 6 at a time for this pregnancy?

Don't know how she talked the doctor into it, but probably she figured she might be stopped at some point so she'd better try to get them all in at once. IMO.

Wow this really blows me away. I cannot believe how selfish she is!!!!

Did anyone happen to notice from the NICU video how nice her nails were done? That "full set" could have bought some pampers.

The woman obviously has some mental issues. I noticed the nails too. Perfect for handling a two pound newborn. Leave it to the land of fruit, nuts and flakes to pay for this crap. Can't wait to get out of California....

Link to an article with a picture of Nadya before she achieved her "Angelina" makeover.

http://hollywood.mywebdunia.com/2009/01/30/1233325260000.html

I'm confused, that blog says "Angela Suleman pic" which is the grandmother. Are we sure that's her pic? Someone else mentioned a high school pic floating around. I figured she's at least had nose/lips done, possibly cheeks and eye work. She has a "Hollywood" nose and obviously fish lips. Not to mention a lot of other issues!!

I have a stupid question... is autism "covered" by SSI/SSA as a qualifying medical condition? (If so, one of her older children could receive benefits?) Another stupid question... out of the octuplets, would doctors know now if there are long term conditions (cerebral palsy, etc..) that any of the babies could suffer from?

I would venture to guess that any money that Nadya receives would almost have to be put in trust because the medical bills that "whoever" is paying right now (medicade or whomever) would most definitely attach themselves to a big payout if she receives one? (Even with health insurance, there are many co-pays that roll in after the initial hospital bill is paid.)

I have to say that if Nadya truly loved children as much as she claims, she would have never thought of bringing 8 more into this world whilst seemingly neglecting the 6 she already has.

Has there been anything more on the "sperm donor"? I almost wish he would speak out (and maybe fight for custody?)... I would be so mad if I were him (if the stories about him asking she not use his sperm are true.)

I'm still at a loss for words in regards to the "only child syndrome" Nadya suffers/suffered from. Is that for real??? Sheesh, is she setting herself up for post tramatic stress disorder now?

I heard a doc on TV saying at the minimum the 8 would be developmentally delayed (as many preemies are, but in this case, it's pretty much a given since there are 8). He said it is highly likely they will have other physical/mental disabilities.

I think what this woman did is criminal.

ETA: Oh I just had a horrible thought. What is going to stop her from having more kids?? Did she get her tubes tied??

Well, I'm just waiting for the sh** to hit the fan as this isn't going to work out as Ms James Bond thinks it is. Looks like she managed to find time to get her nails, lips and cheeks done but forgot about buying more cribs or evn doing basic housework.

Yup, she screams CON alright. - She ain't got me conned though. I believe another poster also thinks the same thing.

I think its outright MALPRACTICE to allow a mentally-unstable woman to artificially impregnate herself.

The best thing for these children would be to put them up for adoption. But then I'd fear she'd take it out on her current children.

Just gets me angry!

I hope that hospital staff and social workers are noticing the same things we are. Behind the scenes they must be very concerned about the situation as they could probably see right away that she does not seem to be "playing with a full deck." It's outrageous that she thinks she can get a full-time job and support these kids! Who is going to care for them while she is working? Everytime she says something new, it contradicts what she said before!

She's keeping with her statement that the same clinic gave her IVF for all of her pregnancies. For those of you out in CA, do you recognize the name of the clinic and has it had any issues brought up before?

I hope that hospital staff and social workers are noticing the same things we are. Behind the scenes they must be very concerned about the situation as they could probably see right away that she does not seem to be "playing with a full deck." It's outrageous that she thinks she can get a full-time job and support these kids! Who is going to care for them while she is working? Everytime she says something new, it contradicts what she said before!

~bolded by always~

I certainly believe the hospital staff and social workers ARE concerned for these babies. Due to the HIPPA laws in our country- they are unable to release any information, voice any concerns publicly, unless the mother gives permission. If they do voice their concerns- they open the door for the hospital to be sued.

I'm betting this family will be *in the system* for a long time...

moo

She's keeping with her statement that the same clinic gave her IVF for all of her pregnancies. For those of you out in CA, do you recognize the name of the clinic and has it had any issues brought up before?
I listen to talk radio every morning on my commute. One of our hosts, BIll Handel, is an atty that owns the Center for Surrogate Parenting and he has been in this field for a long time. He knows most of the high profile and reputable IVF doctors. He will report back on this faithfully. This morning he said the doctor was considred to be a 2nd tier doctor by reputation. Not necessarily by expertise, but by how well he is known and respected in the field.
He only knows him by name and does not know of anything off hand about him being disciplined before. But if he has, we will know soon enough.

Do not be fooled by the Beverly Hills address.

Well, I'm just waiting for the sh** to hit the fan as this isn't going to work out as Ms James Bond thinks it is. Looks like she managed to find time to get her nails, lips and cheeks done but forgot about buying more cribs or evn doing basic housework.

Yup, she screams CON alright. - She ain't got me conned though. I believe another poster also thinks the same thing.

You bring up a good point- if you were pregnant with the 7 babies she knew she was pregnant with, wouldn't you have gotten some sort of nursery together? I know the babies came early (I think most multiples do?) but having some sort of a game plan in place for all those babies would have been the first thing to think about (not hiring a publicist?)

It's pretty fishy to me!

I heard a doc on TV saying at the minimum the 8 would be developmentally delayed (as many preemies are, but in this case, it's pretty much a given since there are 8). He said it is highly likely they will have other physical/mental disabilities.

I think what this woman did is criminal.

ETA: Oh I just had a horrible thought. What is going to stop her from having more kids?? Did she get her tubes tied??

I can't even think about her having more kids- I actually get sick to my stomach!

I listen to talk radio every morning on my commute. One of our hosts, BIll Handel, is an atty that owns the Center for Surrogate Parenting and he has been in this field for a long time. He knows most of the high profile and reputable IVF doctors. He will report back on this faithfully. This morning he said the doctor was considred to be a 2nd tier doctor by reputation. Not necessarily by expertise, but by how well he is known and respected in the field.
He only knows him by name and does not know of anything off hand about him being disciplined before. But if he has, we will know soon enough.

Do not be fooled by the Beverly Hills address.

Thanks JBean. I'm sure they are already investigating. I am curious to hear if what she states is correct or not and if so, how this facility justifies their actions with this patient.

OH and FYI- early on there were talks that she took out student loans to pay for some things before the accident?

Student Loans aren't discharged in Bankruptcy- so even if SHE was the one who declared bankruptcy, she still has to pay back ALL of the student loans +8% interest that continues to accrue.

And it bears repeating- what kind of mother leaves her premies in the ICU? I hope someone brings a complaint to CPS, that shows her lack of concern. I'd go so far as neglect!

Thanks JBean. I'm sure they are already investigating. I am curious to hear if what she states is correct or not and if so, how this facility justifies their actions with this patient.

Same here. The interview with the grandmother is intriguing and depressing on many levels.

Someone is wrong about whether Nadya used the same doctor as before or not.

The truth about situation with the sperm donor will be interesting, and may have implications about his responsibilities.

Angela looks like she at least knows her daughter is crazy and irresponsible, but she does not appear eager to continue mothering even the six.

It was interesting that she said Nadya's father spoiled her.

Nadya already delivered a blow to her parents by calling her upbringing dysfunctional.

Now her publicist appears to be willing to throw the grandmother under the bus, with the comment about how Nadya can't be blamed for the condition of the house, since she has been in the hospital for months.

Now her publicist appears to be willing to throw the grandmother under the bus, with the comment about how Nadya can't be blamed for the condition of the house, since she has been in the hospital for months.

Sorry I clipped your post!

Maybe the publicist should head over and help grandma with the 6 kids Nadya left with her- at least send over a cleaning crew. :doh:

I don't want to get sucked into this story, but I have to comment on this situation. First of all, having gone through IVF myself, I know that the doctors will possibly lose research funding if they have outcomes like this. More than two babies is not what any normal doctor would want, even if they don't receive funding - it's dangerous for the mother.

I find it so irresponsible that this was allowed to happen. And being a resident of California and having to jump through hoops to get my daughters cast paid for by the insurance company, I hope this pumped-lipped !d!0# has insurance to cover this 3 million OR they go after her once she peddles her story to the rag mags. This woman is a fraud and is exactly why people like myself and many others get stuck with high medical insurance when we do the right thing. And the state is bankrupt on top of it. The whole thing makes me want to scream.

I, too, have been hesistant to delve into this story because it hits too close to home....but I have to say something. The Physician that allowed this women to have 6 embryos transferred is completely unethical and as slimy as they get. He must be stopped. This man and his clinical staff have given infertility clinics and staff a bad name and have once again perpetuated horrible stereotypes about IVF and having "litters" of babies. This woman---there are no words to describe how much disgust I feel for this woman. She was only thinking of her own selfish needs....not the needs of the innocent children!! I have never, ever heard of such twisted and unconscionable selfishness!

I am the blessed Mommy of a wonderful little girl (now 6) who was conceived via IVF. My Physicians and nurses at the University of Washington are top-notch and most importantly ETHICAL. My husband and I tried IVF after four heartbreaking miscarriages. Our first two attempts at IVF did not work (also heartbreaking), but on the third transfer---success! We were blessed with our daughter and we haven't stopped pinching ourselves with joy and disbelief yet....not even six years later. Do we want to have more?? Of course!!....but we're also still paying the bills from the IVF.....and will be paying for months to come. Don't get me wrong...these bills are paid with gratitude, for we owe so much to the Physicians that helped us have a family. But future IVF for a sibling is not possible right now. IVF is very, very expensive and we're absolutely thrilled that we have our precious daughter. Who knows what the future holds for us.....but I am very grateful to the wonderful people that helped our dream become a reality.
For the record, I had all of my IVF procedures done (both "fresh" and "frozen" transfers of embryos) between the ages of 29 and 34. My Physician would (under no circumstances) transfer more than TWO embryos at a time. He has a great success rate. Many twins (and some triplets) have been born, but no large numbers of multiples. And YES---the number of children you may already have does play a factor in the decisions of your treatment plan at my clinic. It has to. The sanctity of human life is precious. If this woman who had the octuplets (and six youngsters at home) would have tried to get an IVF done at my clinic here in WA, she would have been politely REFUSED!!!

I'm sorry for rambling on so much. I have so much more to say on this, but now its time to go pick up my awesome 6 year-old from school! :innocent:

Love and Peace to you all,
Rain

Maybe the publicist should head over and help grandma with the 6 kids Nadya left with her- at least send over a cleaning crew. :doh:

He also said she would be moving to a larger home so I would bet some kind of deal has already been made. Now, with that said I wonder if ole Nadya cut this deal without any real intention of having the babies with her. Seems she was heading out for interviews at the earliest opportunity, so being an opportunist, she made hay while the sun was shining. If CPS investigates and denies her right to the children she will have still found an avenue for self promotion.

It's ok! I would have, too. :toast:

No kidding. :furious: Their pushing the blame onto her really said a lot about them and their client, didn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82