• No, it is not, it is reasonable to ask the family these things

Votes: 117 76.0%
  • Other/explain/dont really care

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the suit is for a minimum of $15 K. In Florida cases involving less than $15,000 are heard in the county courts. Cases involving $15,000 + are heard in the Circuit court.

I see. Thanks!

No, The one thing a person should not do is accuse a person whom one KNOWS did not commit the crime.

Correct!

And thus far we do not KNOW whom she knows has commited the crime because she refuses to tell us where HER ZFG resides.

She has specifically said THIS person did NOT commit the crime.

Just clarity for those behind on the hundreds of other posts in the other thread.....

Chilly I see what you're saying but people in casual conversation use the word "slander" in a non-legal sense a lot. I think it's clear if JG or his dad want a lawsuit against CA they will not really have a leg to stand on, although they probably WANT to, going by RG's stated media announcement tonight and the back and forth venom between him and Cindy. But I do think ZFG has a much stronger case (well duh she actually HAS a case, so) Anyway. :cool:

For those needing the Florida Statues on Slander/Libel and Defamation please see my posts on the other thread. I posted sections cut from the florida statues government website along with links and you can look them up.

Please find me ONE that fits this case. Florida Law and generally across the nation there is alot of latitude in regards to this, TO PREVENT specifically freedom of speech. I will fight to the death for my freedoms I hope other good americans would do the same, even if it means protecting the same rights of known or suspected criminals. I hate that part but once we deny them their rights we deny ourselves our rights.

Libel and Slander are typically reserved for "print" and "broadcast" media, you can be sued for it without having to be an author or news caster etc BUT its difficult to prove and win! They also ALLLOW RETRACTION.

That said Casey unfortunatley is NOT the aurthor nor broadcaster of ANY print or broadcast media through which SHE has said a single thing about ANY ZFG. She meerly gave a witness statment to the police. She could be charged with filing a false report though. BUT the MEDIA and NEWS casters and BLOGGERS including many from here even, AFTER the police CLEARED this woman AND AFTER the police RELEASED the information as per the information ACT, TOOK ON the crusade to harrass and percecute this poor woman. I say she has a good claim against many of them before she has a claim against Casey.

I copied this from the previous thread from myself.... because I believe it is important:

Seriously she has two counts in this suit:
Count 1 Defamation
Count 2 Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress Outrage

I just cannot see them proving anything intentional against any specific person if she was meerly using "stolen" information for her fictional character and Defamation is extreemly hard to prove, it's not even spelled out clear in the Florida Statutes, typically used to protect people from claims made in the media, they even allow for a retraction. But Casey herself never made these claims in the media about any specific ZFG other than the one in particular one that stole her child.

It will not be as easy as everyone thinks.

Ok guys, I may be off base here but I watched ZG interview. She stated that she just got out of the hospital yesterday, now what I don't understand is how she can check her myspace in the hospital. Do you think that they had wireless or would they let her use dial up in a hospitial???? Just asking, no debate just a question. I have checked on her myspace everyday for the past two weeks and the log in date changed every day. Just something I noticed.

Ok guys, I may be off base here but I watched ZG interview. She stated that she just got out of the hospital yesterday, now what I don't understand is how she can check her myspace in the hospital. Do you think that they had wireless or would they let her use dial up in a hospitial???? Just asking, no debate just a question. I have checked on her myspace everyday for the past two weeks and the log in date changed every day. Just something I noticed.
probably have wireless.

For those needing the Florida Statues on Slander/Libel and Defamation please see my posts on the other thread. I posted sections cut from the florida statues government website along with links and you can look them up.

Please find me ONE that fits this case. Florida Law and generally across the nation there is alot of latitude in regards to this, TO PREVENT specifically freedom of speech. I will fight to the death for my freedoms I hope other good americans would do the same, even if it means protecting the same rights of known or suspected criminals. I hate that part but once we deny them their rights we deny ourselves our rights.

Libel and Slander are typically reserved for "print" and "broadcast" media, you can be sued for it without having to be an author or news caster etc BUT its difficult to prove and win! They also ALLLOW RETRACTION.

That said Casey unfortunatley is NOT the aurthor nor broadcaster of ANY print or broadcast media through which SHE has said a single thing about ANY ZFG. She meerly gave a witness statment to the police. She could be charged with filing a false report though. BUT the MEDIA and NEWS casters and BLOGGERS including many from here even, AFTER the police CLEARED this woman AND AFTER the police RELEASED the information as per the information ACT, TOOK ON the crusade to harrass and percecute this poor woman. I say she has a good claim against many of them before she has a claim against Casey.

I copied this from the previous thread from myself.... because I believe it is important:

Count 1 Defamation

I just cannot see them proving anything intentional against any specific person if she was meerly using "stolen" information for her fictional character and Defamation is extreemly hard to prove, it's not even spelled out clear in the Florida Statutes, typically used to protect people from claims made in the media, they even allow for a retraction. But Casey herself never made these claims in the media about any specific ZFG other than the one in particular one that stole her child.

That's not what our lawyers (family) say.

They remind me that slander and libel are NOT limited to print and broadcast media. In fact, I was once libeled in an article that was never released to the public. It was made available to the perusal of a few of the author's personal friends. After legal action was discussed, the article was destroyed, and the author apologized to me and admitted fault to everyone who read it. To "publish" it to "make public," which merely means to write or speak it.

The elements of slander/libel are that:1) It must be detrimental to reputation, hold one up to public ridicule, and/or result in loss, 2) The statement(s) must be provably untrue, and 3) The subject of the statement(s) must be alive.

KC stated that ZFG (the ONLY ZFG in the area) who had been at the Sawgrass was the kidnapper. That information was, as is usual LE procedure, released to the public. The bloggers and the media are not responsible for the content of criminal complaints. The merely report them. KC knew that the information would be made public. She knew, or should have known that there would be repercussions to one particular woman, having researched her on the Net. This was a cynical attempt to distract LE and wasted their time. Which worked, for a short time, as LE had to follow up on that.

In the meantime, the woman's name has become a household word, because of the original criminal complaint. The bloggers did not file the complaint. The media did not file the complaint. KC filed the complaint, in the full knowledged that it would defame someone else.

AFTER the complaint was out, she denied that the ZFG in the photo wasw HER ZFG. But, she ALSO said she feared identifying the REAL ZFG, lest Caylee be harmed. So, people think she reported the kidnapper, then got scared and retracted.

Needless to say people are confused. But, they DO remember that a ZFG (which limits us to one) who had visited Sawgrass (again, one) was involved. Otherwise, how would KC have the details, they reason?

If only ONE thing had not happened, the woman wouold have been left her privacy-- KC's pointing finger. The fact that she researched the woman BEFORE she filed the complaint adds to intent.

And, there are also some people who don't know that LE cleared the lady. Per the "reasonable man" test, the public is NOT responsible for knowing all of the details about the case. You are talking to the average man on the street.

We will see what we will see, of course. But, based on all the "technical advice" I am getting, I wouldn't put any money on ZFG losing the case.

BTW-- My private opinion is that the As will not let it get to trial. It will be settled.

Now-- which of you, if someone had deliberately filed a false criminal complaint against you and you children were being threatened would say, "Oh, that's OK, it's not his/her fault. I'll let it go"

How many ZG;s are interviewed in any of the documents? IIRC, LE said when it was suggested that they had not found THE ZG, they said there was only one ZG associated with Sawgrass apts and they had already interviewed her.
The fact that LE cleared her only bolsters the defamation claim. Defamation is harming someone's character and reputation when there is no basis in fact for it.

ETA: After listening to the interview I have much sympathy. BUT, if the lawyer is hanging his hat on the A family not publicly declaring that she was not THE ZG, he is mistaken. They made that clear.

According to Padilla on Nancy Grace tonight: His theory is that Casey was driving around Sawgrass in Tony's jeep on the 17th and saw ZFG's car, which is a silver Kia, and reported it as a Ford Focus because the car models are very similar. Which if true would definitely suggest that it was THIS ZFG she was targeting and just got the car make wrong. Something to throw out there and think about.

Count 1 Defamation

They remind me that slander and libel are NOT limited to print and broadcast media. In fact, I was once libeled in an article that was never released to the public. It was made available to the perusal of a few of the author's personal friends. After legal action was discussed, the article was destroyed, and the author apologized to me and admitted fault to everyone who read it. To "publish" it to "make public," which merely means to write or speak it.

The elements of slander/libel are that:1) It must be detrimental to reputation, hold one up to public ridicule, and/or result in loss, 2) The statement(s) must be provably untrue, and 3) The subject of the statement(s) must be alive.

KC stated that ZFR (the ONLY ZFR in the areas) who had been at the Sawgrass was the kidnapper. That information was, as is usual LE procedure, released to the public. The bloggers and the media are not responsible for the content of criminal complaints. The merely report them. KC knew that the information would be made public. She knew, or should have known that there would be repercussions to one particular woman, having researched her on the Net. This was a cynical attempt to distract LE and wasted their time. Which worked, for a short time, as LE had to follow up on that.

In the meantime, the woman's name has become a household word, because of the original criminal complaint. The bloggers did not file the complaint. The media did not file the complaint. KC filed the complaint, in the full knowledged that it would defame someone else.

AFTER the complaint was out, she denied that the ZFG in the photo wasw HER ZFG. But, she ALSO said she feared identifying the REAL ZFG, lest Caylee be harmed. So, people think she reported the kidnapper, then got scared and retracted.

Needless to say people are confused. But, they DO remember that a ZFG (which limits us to one) who had visited Sawgrass (again, one) was involved. Otherwise, how would KC have the details, they reason?

If only ONE thing had not happened, the woman wouold have been left her privacy-- KC's pointing finger.

And, there are also some people who don't know that LE cleared the lady. Per the "reasonable man" test, the public is NOT responsible for knowing all of the details about the case. You are talking to the average man on the street.

We will see what we will see, of course. But, based on all the "technical advise" I am getting, I wouldn't put any money on ZFG losing the case.

BTW-- My private opinion is that the As will not let it get to trial. It wil be settled.

BTW-- A retraction may be accepted, rejected, or considered to be insufficient.

Gotta go. NG is on, and CA is pointing the finger at JG.

According to Padilla on Nancy Grace tonight: His theory is that Casey was driving around Sawgrass in Tony's jeep on the 17th and saw ZFG's car, which is a silver Kia, and reported it as a Ford Focus because the car models are very similar. Which if true would definitely suggest that it was THIS ZFG she was targeting and just got the car make wrong. Something to throw out there and think about.

Yeah, I just saw that.:)

How many ZG;s are interviewed in any of the documents? IIRC, LE said when it was suggested that they had not found THE ZG, they said there was only one ZG associated with Sawgrass apts and they had already interviewed her.
The fact that LE cleared her only bolsters the defamation claim. Defamation is harming someone's character and reputation when there is no basis in fact for it.

ETA: After listening to the interview I have much sympathy. BUT, if the lawyer is hanging his hat on the A family not publicly declaring that she was not THE ZG, he is mistaken. They made that clear.

But, a retraction does not automatically nullify a claim of slander.

But, at least now CA is saying that Z the N is actually AH or JG. So, once that idea takes hold, the REAL ZFG may be out of it.

But, a retraction does not automatically nullify a claim of slander.

But, at least now CA is saying that Z the N is actually AH or JG. So, once that idea takes hold, the REAL ZFG may be out of it.
OH absolutely about the retraction, but it could be argues that it was not a retraction at all.
I have posted some of the same points that you have in your informative post above.
IMO, she may or may not prevail, but a good attorney can certainly make a good case and argument for it; which is the name of the game.

KC stated that ZFR (the ONLY ZFR in the areas) who had been at the Sawgrass was the kidnapper. That information was, as is usual LE procedure, released to the public. The bloggers and the media are not responsible for the content of criminal complaints. The merely report them. KC knew that the information would be made public. She knew, or should have known that there would be repercussions to one particular woman, having researched her on the Net. This was a cynical attempt to distract LE and wasted their time. Which worked, for a short time, as LE had to follow up on that.

If only ONE thing had not happened, the woman wouold have been left her privacy-- KC's pointing finger.

We will see what we will see, of course. But, based on all the "technical advise" I am getting, I wouldn't put any money on ZFG losing the case.

BTW-- My private opinion is that the As will not let it get to trial. It wil be settled.

LOL, you posted it twice to make sure I saw it??

Sigh, ok I do not need a lawyer family member to explaint he law to me. I have read the law for myself. I understand it is not only used in broadcast or media blah blah blah referenced cases.

As I said it is ussually used there as it is VERY difficult to PROVE a case in court. Most lawyers will not waste there time with it because USSUALLY when it is not involving the broadcast media blah blah blah there is ZIP for money damages to be recovered.

Read the statutes, they really refer to media avenues there really is no direct event, and your case it was something that was going to be printed.

Simply put, libel is something you write about someone else slander is something you say about someone else. Both need to reach an audience. That said this RARELY happens without the "MEDIA"

Case in point:
The person that harmed me emotionally was Chilly Willy. I get the shivers when I see his presence or hear him talk. Chilly Willy is a mousey little twitchy character that speaks through a beak!

Latitude mods please :)

Now Bring it! Did I slander someone? Who reads this? 1000 + subscribers right? do any of them know Chilly Willy personally? How has Chilly Willy been slandered? 0 because this is a written media. Ok so How has Chilly Willy been Libeled? If anyone reading this knows Chilly Willy has this changed thier perception of him? Has he lost some of his reputation by my words (granted this is a minor infraction here but the outcome shall prevail my case)

So take that and anything else you want to add to it. Again minor infraction but lets say Chilly Willy was upset about it. Let's say he gets a lawyer, and is willing to even PAY his lawyer to persue a case against me? Will he win?

but but but but.......... I shall wait for a reply before I explain this any further.

Obviously LE heard it from Casey. The "rest of the world" heard it from the media, just like all of us did. I didn't pay any attention to the name because it was reported immediately that the nanny didn't exist. It wasn't until posters here, posters who knew ZFG had been cleared, started searching out every ZFG on myspace that I learned the name.

We heard it from KC right , then AFTER LE checks her story out they could only find this ZFG , we didn't know at the time it was this ZFG. However remember that first call home from jail ? KC's talking to her friend Christina , she claims LE didn't find her ZFG in their data base . She gave a few more bits of info which sent the world on the hunt for ZFG .

It was KC that fueled the fires

Sigh, ok I do not need a lawyer family member to explaint he law to me. I have read the law for myself. I understand it is not only used in broadcast or media blah blah blah referenced cases.

As I said it is ussually used there as it is VERY difficult to PROVE a case in court. Most lawyers will not waste there time with it because USSUALLY when it is not involving the broadcast media blah blah blah there is ZIP for money damages to be recovered.

Read the statutes, they really refer to media avenues there really is no direct event, and your case it was something that was going to be printed.

ETA: i should add that the internet laws are evolving in this regard.If the situation were elevated and you were constantly speaking ill of CHilly Willy and doing so by naming her real name then yes, she very well may have a case.

Simply put, libel is something you write about someone else slander is something you say about someone else. Both need to reach an audience. That said this RARELY happens without the "MEDIA"

Case in point:
The person that harmed me emotionally was Chilly Willy. I get the shivers when I see his presence or hear him talk. Chilly Willy is a mousey little twitchy character that speaks through a beak!

Now Bring it! Did I slander someone? Who reads this? 1000 + subscribers right? do any of them know Chilly Willy personally? How has Chilly Willy been slandered? 0 because this is a written media. Ok so How has Chilly Willy been Libeled? If anyone reading this knows Chilly Willy has this changed thier perception of him? Has he lost some of his reputation by my words (granted this is a minor infraction here but the outcome shall prevail my case)

So take that and anything else you want to add to it. Again minor infraction but lets say Chilly Willy was upset about it. Let's say he gets a lawyer, and is willing to even PAY his lawyer to persue a case against me? Will he win?

but but but but.......... I shall wait for a reply before I explain this any further.
Chilly Willy is anonymous and you have not seriously defamed their character anyway.
seriously being an operative word.

ETA: I should add that if you were to continually defame CW on the internet and name her by her real name then yes she may very well have a case.

OH absolutely about the retraction, but it could be argues that it was not a retraction at all.
I have posted some of the same points that you have in your informative post above.
IMO, she may or may not prevail, but a good attorney can certainly make a good case and argument for it; which is the name of the game.

Exactly! And, at the VERY least, her name will be cleared, and maybe KC will be more careful about accusing.... NAH! Prolly not. ;-)

Case in point:

Please forgive accidental double post! :)

Good points. Especially since most of us have no clue as to whom the frosty gentleman is in the real world.

However. MS ZFG doesn't have the same situation. Everybody's heard her name, and it has been negatively connected with this case.

We heard it from KC right , then AFTER LE checks her story out they could only find this ZFG , we didn't know at the time it was this ZFG. However remember that first call home from jail ? KC's talking to her friend Christina , she claims LE didn't find her ZFG in their data base . She gave a few more bits of info which sent the world on the hunt for ZFG .

It was KC that fueled the fires

She build them.
She lit them.
She fueled them.

And, if appears that she did not enough to put them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne