Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Navy Captain Mark Matthews, a salvage expert who is playing a key role in the operation, said part of the search zone was deeper than 4.5km.

"The vehicle is programmed to fly 30 metres over the floor of the ocean to get a good mapping of what's beneath and to the sides," Capt Matthews told CNN.

"The chart we had showed between 4200 and 4400 metres depth.

"As it was contouring itself to the bottom ... it went to 4500 metres and once it hit that max depth, it said `hey, this is deeper than I am programmed to be', so it aborted the mission to basically interface with the crew so they could refine the task."

He said the mission was aborted "in a very far corner" of the search area.

So they're just shifting the search box a little bit away from that deep water and proceeding with the search."

JACC chief Angus Houston told reporters on Monday that another much larger vessel with wreckage recovery capability would be needed if the water depths exceeded Bluefin-21's capability, saying that was "being looked at as we speak".

AAP is seeking comment from JACC about whether such a vessel is available.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/04/15/09/51/drone-data-being-probed-for-malaysia-plane

I just got back after a month away! I have been watching the continuous "Breaking News" on CNN. Reminds me of NGrace's "Bombshell Tonight". I'm sure this has been discussed but to get me up to speed...what is everyone's take on the co-pilot's phone pinging off a Malaysian cell tower?

US Navy Captain Mark Matthews, a salvage expert who is playing a key role in the operation, said part of the search zone was deeper than 4.5km.

"The vehicle is programmed to fly 30 metres over the floor of the ocean to get a good mapping of what's beneath and to the sides," Capt Matthews told CNN.

"The chart we had showed between 4200 and 4400 metres depth.

"As it was contouring itself to the bottom ... it went to 4500 metres and once it hit that max depth, it said `hey, this is deeper than I am programmed to be', so it aborted the mission to basically interface with the crew so they could refine the task."

He said the mission was aborted "in a very far corner" of the search area.

So they're just shifting the search box a little bit away from that deep water and proceeding with the search."

JACC chief Angus Houston told reporters on Monday that another much larger vessel with wreckage recovery capability would be needed if the water depths exceeded Bluefin-21's capability, saying that was "being looked at as we speak".

AAP is seeking comment from JACC about whether such a vessel is available.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/04/15/09/51/drone-data-being-probed-for-malaysia-plane

Instead of programming it to stay 30 meters above, they should just make it 130 meters or 200 meters above and they have much less chance of hitting the maximum depth.

A guy on CNN said they do like to get it as close to bottom as possible because the sonar pictures are much more detailed that way. But IMO just to locate that plane they could keep the thing about 200 meters above and still spot the plane. Sometimes I think the operators lose sight of the big picture here. FIND THE DARN PLANE FIRST PEOPLE. Then worry about getting good detailed pictures so you can plan a retrival of the box.

You dont need good detailed pictures to spot the outline of the plane.

I just got back after a month away! I have been watching the continuous "Breaking News" on CNN. Reminds me of NGrace's "Bombshell Tonight". I'm sure this has been discussed but to get me up to speed...what is everyone's take on the co-pilot's phone pinging off a Malaysian cell tower?

Welcome back.

There are 2 main theories on the copilot phone thing.

One is that he turned on his phone to try to get a call out to tell someone about the plane being hijacked or in trouble of some sort.

The other one is the guy already happened to have his phone on and when plane went low enough it just happened to pick up a signal again.

There was a lot of discussion that many other passengers probabably had their phones on too if the plane was hijacked or in trouble so the talk was why havent investigators checked all the passengers cell phone companies to see if they also tried to reconnect to a tower. They may have done this and we dont know about it yet.

They need to give Cameron a call and get him down there with his submarine. I bet he could find it quicker than the bluefin. He went to Mariana's trench which is much deeper. He has a 1 person mini sub that goes to tremendous depths.

IMO, I think that's because they don't want to be held responsible for any mechanical issues (if that turns out to be the case).

I agree with you 100% .... the desire to free themselves from any responsibility has been so noticeable right from the beginning.

I agree. I think someone programmed the Bluefin to run too close to its maximum depth and a current took it down below its maximum.

It seems they could easily program that thing to stay about 100 feet above its maximum. They know the maximum so they need to keep it above that maximum. Easily done if programmed properly.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304117904579501921247712360.html

It appears from what I have read here that it is going fine. If the camera is attached next and it is deployed again today, chances are there was something that showed up, which is what I am thinking.

snipped,
After completing about six hours of its first mission Monday, the submersible reached its operating depth limit of about 3 miles, and its built-in safety feature returned it to the surface. The data were being analyzed early Tuesday, and authorities planned to redeploy the vehicle again later in the day.
snipped,
If the data show an anomaly, the Bluefin would have its sonar equipment replaced with a high-grade underwater camera.

bbm

Malaysia Airlines MH370: Wreck hunter confident plane will be found

Posted 13 minutes ago

One of the world's foremost wreck hunters believes searchers have found the crash site of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, and recovering the plane's black boxes is inevitable.

"I think essentially they have found the wreckage site," the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries, David Mearns, told 7.30.

"While the government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-15/mh370-wreckage-site-located-david-mearns/5392440

Malaysia Airlines MH370: Wreck hunter confident plane will be found

Posted 13 minutes ago

One of the world's foremost wreck hunters believes searchers have found the crash site of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, and recovering the plane's black boxes is inevitable.

"I think essentially they have found the wreckage site," the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries, David Mearns, told 7.30.

"While the government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-15/mh370-wreckage-site-located-david-mearns/5392440

Here's to hoping..... Again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACC confirmed last night that the air and surface search for floating debris would be completed within two to three days.

Presumably, where Ocean Shield is shown on this map is the vicinity in which the AUV is searching.

aap_20140415_114320_2925_19kp59a-19kp59g.jpg

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/world/a/22649924/official-confirms-mh370-cell-phone-call/

Apparently, the reason that the AUV was about 30 metres from the ocean floor is because that is the optimal distance for its scanners to get a really good sonar picture of what is on the ocean bed.

From there, it will plunge to a depth of 4,000 to 4,500 meters (2.5 miles) -- roughly 35 meters above the ocean floor, the U.S. Navy said.

"It operates at a height above the bottom optimized for its sensors," Kelly said.

But the Bluefin-21 does create good images -- so good that they are "almost a picture of what's there ... but it's imaged with sound instead of with a camera."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/14/world/asia/malaysia-plane-bluefin-explainer/

I don't know whether to even believe it or not, so I'm not really thinking anything of it right now. We have heard so many rumors and stuff which turned out to be inaccurate or even false.

JMO.

Well here's a sprinkle of luck for our friend Bluefin.....
sprinkle, sprinkle

:)

What makes no sense to me is why didn't Australia see the plane on their radar?

I've often wondered if we did ... and we just didn't know what it could be until the southern arc was identified much later on. Because why would we think that a blip on our radar (and it is military radar up there, so they aren't going to talk about it in MSM) was a plane flying from Malaysia to China, and then veering off toward the west? It may be why we are willing to sink so much money into looking for it.

I don't think we'd even consider scrambling jets to investigate a blip that is briefly there and then gone. We probably would have only seen that partial final handshake.

:dunno:

In fact, no-one with military radar along that tract are saying much. Diego Garcia is saying nothing, Thailand is saying it didn't see it (?), Indonesia is saying it didn't see it (?), and we're saying nothing.

A Japanese pilot was asked to try and make contact with MH370 and did but was unable to understand because of the static. So how could Malaysia say there were unaware of the fact that the flight was missing? The Vietnamese were very much aware that MH370 never made contact with them because other pilots in the area were made aware of it 10 minutes after Flight MH370 signed off with Malaysia.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-made-contact-with-missing-malaysian-flight/#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod