The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 25th June - Trial Day 10, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
On he morning of the 20th, I'm surprised the police didn't arrive to find him running out of the house in his pyjamas with sneakers, foam on his face, saying: "Sorry, I've been trying to s@$t, shower, and shave, but cut myself with my decade old razor which I keep using! I'm a bit hurt but I'm okay. It's business as usual, but my late wife...I mean my wife is under a bridge, I mean down a hole, I mean missing, and the app wouldn't work. By the way, I can help you buy a house in the area..." (hands out business cards)

:floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh:

Hello everyone,

I followed this case back in the Summer of 2012 and have been following the trial updates on twitter. What do you all think about the prosecution's case? Tight enough to secure a conviction?

Have to admit, when the whole thing came up aout googling 'taking the 5th' came up, I found it hard to believe he would not know or had never heard of that saying before. I kind of thought most people would know that wouldn't they? I was even more surprised to hear during this trial that his reasoning was for his Mother not knowing what it meant. I would have thought at her age she would surely have heard of it before. Especially as they are supposedly well educated (I did say supposedly- before anyone jumps on me :) ) and well, not sure worldly is the word, but you know what I mean?

Thank you so much Amee - hugely appreciated - I have no idea how you found that needle in a haystack!!! <modsnip>

In the article posted by Amee, I am intrigued by part of the description of Allison's body as she was found and I quote the excerpt below:-

http://m.news.com.au/QLD/pg/2/fi11723293.htm

The jury was shown a series of photos of Ms Baden-Clay’s decomposed body on the creek bank, her head hooded and enclosed by a grey jumper in which her arms were entwined in front of her face.

I have recently read somewhere else about the hooded head. Isn't this then proof that the hood was put on/over her head after
the leaf and plant debris became entangled in her hair? The hood was not on/up when the entanglements (to the point of having to be cut out) were caught in her hair. MOO

Surprised Insurance Co wasn't called as witness! Am feeling anxious ! Thought roundabout camera might have been tendered as evidence so obviously nothing to show there that's helpful.

In summarising the agreed points today the prosecution made a point of highlighting that Gerard drew a floor plan of Toni's house. I wonder why this is significant enough that they included it among the irrefutable facts?

I don't think the list of irrefutable facts have to be especially significant, other than being significant enough to be raised at the trial. It's just a list of things that have been agreed on by both sides and the Judge today advised the jury they should consider them as "having been proven" or words to that effect. There are of course other things which have been presented at the trial which could be significant but which haven't made the list.

there would be a lot of sighing and soulsearching in Cell Block B at the Arthur Gorrie Centre tonight.. lots of tossing and turning and many repeats of the corned beef sandwich imbibed for supper..

will he.. or wont he?? he has to go first if he is going to go.. so the wait will not be ultra excruciatingly prolonged...

does Gerard think he can outsmart and out charm Danny Boyle?? has Danny played it low key all this time to lure Gerard into thinking this?? will Gerard take Mr Byrnes heavily paid for, or at least heavily billed for, perhaps not exactly as yet paid for advice??

How little restful (!) sleep will GBC's defence team be allowed this night (thinking of the drama with narcissist soul mate Oscar P.)?

What do people think about the chances of guilty verdict with a jury trial as opposed to a judge only trial in this case? I can't work out whether it is in his favour to have a jury or if he would have been better off having a judge only trial.

I am assuming you can choose a judge only trial in QLD. I am thinking of that in Sydney who threw his fiance over the balcony. He chose to have a judge only trial because it was going to be cheaper as the judge wouldn't have to instruct the jury etc etc. In that case I think it really worked against him as there could have been a couple of dissenters in the ranks. The judge who found him guilty was absolutely thorough in her reasoning for finding of guilt.

Curious about what would be better in this case.

You know, I can't believe that GBC is still keeping it together (somehow) after all this time. I mean, the man is not exactly a convincing liar (IMO).

On he morning of the 20th, I'm surprised the police didn't arrive to find him running out of the house in his pyjamas with sneakers, foam on his face, saying: "Sorry, I've been trying to s@$t, shower, and shave, but cut myself with my decade old razor which I keep using! I'm a bit hurt but I'm okay. It's business as usual, but my late wife...I mean my wife is under a bridge, I mean down a hole, I mean missing, and the app wouldn't work. By the way, I can help you buy a house in the area..." (hands out business cards)

Lol! This gave me a good chuckle

just listened to the police tape.....wow wee..... he was having quite a day. Loved the chat he was having. At one stage he said something along the lines of.....'yeah that's the cut that everyone is so concerned about.' Ahhh no, that is the cut that everyone is so suspicious about.

I know I have mentioned this a few times, but if what he says is true, he says he cut himself and went and requested his daughter help him put a band aid on. He said he went and woke her to ask for her help. What a man. Just after that he went and turned on ABC hot rollers.

Is this so?

He woke his daughter? to tend to his (fake) 'shaving' wounds?

I recall something to do with Fridays being for legal argument too. Juries are excluded during legal argument. They get sent to the Jury Room. That happened a few times when I was on a jury. Two weeks in (car rebirthing racket) they sent us out while there was legal argument, we were in there most of the day, then the Sheriff came and told us we'd seen something we shouldn't have seen and as such, we were dismissed.

I think on the first Friday that the trial was running they conducted some legal arguments without the jury present. I recall someone, possibly Marly? posting a summary for the days court matters and Baden-Clay was listed, but we then learnt it was just legal stuff, no jury.

I think that was a one off.

I think if you are guilty you are better off with a judge only and if you are innocent then a jury. Judge only trials are very difficult to obtain in Qld. Even Dr Patel was not granted a judge only trial when he requested it. I was amazed he didn't get it at the time.

Googling 'taking the 5th' because mumma bear doesn't understand it doesn't wash either. Surely if the mother says, hmmm what is 'taking the 5th mean' they would just tell her. Don't get me started on 'self incrimination'. Let's just say that the family may be members of local parish, but they certainly aren't members of MENSA.

This is how Gerard explained self incrimination: Mumma, just say Alison went missing tomorrow and the police suspected I was involved, during the interview I might accidentally say something about how I cut myself shaving after disposing of Allison's body.' That is an example of self incrimination Mumma. So, I have to be careful what I would say to them if Allison ever went missing. Do you understand now Mumma?

Why would you take a razor that's ripped half your face off to NBC. Not likely you'd be using it again. Weird

Hmm, surely if he was that hard up for cash..as it seems to be.. after mangling your face with the razor, someone in the family could afford to shout him a new razor!

11:59am: Senior Constable McLeod was among the three detectives from the Criminal Investigation Branch at Indooroopilly police station, to interview Mr Baden-Clay on the morning his reported his wife missing on April 20, 2012.

The following day, Senior Constable McLeod asked Mr Baden-Clay for the razor with which he claimed to have cut himself shaving.

He said he drove Mr Baden-Clay from his parent's house at Kenmore to his Brookfield home.

"He went inside and came out and handed me the razor. It was wrapped in Glad Wrap," Senior Constable McLeod said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-10-week-3-20140625-3aqx5.html#ixzz35eHA05Fr

Any reason why GBC would wrap the razor in Glad Wrap??? Is that what you gents on WS do too? :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde