Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did notice that at least one of the Kijiji ad's, the cake spreader thingy, was uploaded using the Kijiji Mobile application, it says so in the ad. It was for 20 bucks. I remember thinking it seemed an odd thing to list in an Estate Sale. Could very well have been someone else like her daughter throwing it in the sale because she knew she would be there.

Wonder if someone had a complaint about a purchase from the estate sale and returned to the house to demand money back?
Maybe they inadvertently sold an item that was borrowed, or believed to belong to someone else, and a dispute ensued?

Since the estate sale ended Sunday I would assume they had not deposited the money yet by 10am Monday morning. Was the money still there?

I was really hoping to come in to good news this morning... I pray that Nathan and his grandparents are found soon.

I honestly don't believe that either grandparent has anything to do with this. By all accounts, they adore this little boy, and I just don't get the feeling that either of them would run off with him or hurt the other while Nathan was around... whether by accident or not.

It scares me that this seemed to occur while they were all awake, and also suggests to me another reason why neighbours may not have noticed something was going on. Perhaps the crime happened not long after mum left, so it wasn't an unusual time to hear car doors or noise in the street. Add that on top of the estate sale at the property, during which there was probably a bit of noise coming from the house, and I don't find it all that suprising that no one heard anything.

I also don't think the drag marks are a blood stain. LE are holding things very close to their chest, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone was dragged from the house, leaving an 8m long blood stain, that was subsequently cleaned up before they left the property. It just seems like a bit of a reach to me.

I really hope this case is resolved soon, it's really touched a nerve with me, and I so want this darling boy and his grandparents to be alive and well. :(

I was really hoping to come in to good news this morning... I pray that Nathan and his grandparents are found soon.

I honestly don't believe that either grandparent has anything to do with this. By all accounts, they adore this little boy, and I just don't get the feeling that either of them would run off with him or hurt the other while Nathan was around... whether by accident or not.

It scares me that this seemed to occur while they were all awake, and also suggests to me another reason why neighbours may not have noticed something was going on. Perhaps the crime happened not long after mum left, so it wasn't an unusual time to hear car doors or noise in the street. Add that on top of the estate sale at the property, during which there was probably a bit of noise coming from the house, and I don't find it all that suprising that no one heard anything.

I also don't think the drag marks are a blood stain. LE are holding things very close to their chest, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone was dragged from the house, leaving an 8m long blood stain, that was subsequently cleaned up before they left the property. It just seems like a bit of a reach to me.

I really hope this case is resolved soon, it's really touched a nerve with me, and I so want this darling boy and his grandparents to be alive and well. :(

Yeah, I really don't think this was domestic. There's a lot of key points that support it having been a stranger; even if the stranger wasn't a disgruntled customer of the yard sale, the yard sale was a perfect opportunity to case out the people living there. The Mccanns come to mind--they were murdered at random by someone who didn't even know them.

Also, I used to live in that neighbourhood. It would be very easy for someone to lurk around and case the house without anybody noticing anything suspicious, especially during an estate sale.

If it was a hot evening in Calgary on Sunday, perhaps the neighbours had their Windows shut with air conditioning. They would not hear what was going on.. also with the sound of the air conditioning.

I still don't understand why one of their Kijiji ads ( the one with the cupcake holder and the dog in the picture) is listed as being " in Canmore but can be viewed in Calgary during the estate sale". Does the daughter live in Canmore? Was she piggybacking some of her items for sale on her mothers ads? What is the Canmore connection?
Also Nathan was probably asleep when his mother left and is listed as being last seen in a striped t shirt and shorts because this was an unplanned sleepover and his mom hadn't brought pjs with her.

Maybe they wanted their dog re-homed out of the city and in the country, perhaps a farm so they advertised in the Canmore area??

Regarding timing and suspects -

Police immediately contacted the Canadian Border Services Agency to pass on the information they had, Andrus said.

“They’ve shared it with the border crossings, with all the airports and with our partnering agencies in the U.S.,” he said.

Nathan’s missing grandparents are not considered suspects in an abduction, nor are his mother and father.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...a+safe+return+grandparents/9994832/story.html

The problem with that is that the don't have a vehicle description, and it's possible that the person that did this had a 12 hour head start - plenty of time to cross the border.

If it was a hot evening in Calgary on Sunday, perhaps the neighbours had their Windows shut with air conditioning. They would not hear what was going on.. also with the sound of the air conditioning.

It was not hot on Sunday evening. It was cool, overcast and very windy. It drizzled throughout the evening hours and then the wind was gusting 40km/hr until at least midnight.

But, there are so many other reasons to explain the neighbours not hearing anything. I don't think it is suspicious at all.

I still don't understand why one of their Kijiji ads ( the one with the cupcake holder and the dog in the picture) is listed as being " in Canmore but can be viewed in Calgary during the estate sale". Does the daughter live in Canmore? Was she piggybacking some of her items for sale on her mothers ads? What is the Canmore connection?
Also Nathan was probably asleep when his mother left and is listed as being last seen in a striped t shirt and shorts because this was an unplanned sleepover and his mom hadn't brought pjs with her.

I wondered about the Canmore connection too. I noticed that the Pinterest theme seems to be weddings. It could be another business venture, and it could be that it was being sold for a friend.

If someone has done a clean up after what ever happened, they may have been around for a while. Just because all vehicles are accounted for now, doesnt mean they were not used during the night. Car taken to whereever, then returned. Just more of the cleansing of the scene.

It was not hot on Sunday evening. It was cool, overcast and very windy. It drizzled throughout the evening hours and then the wind was gusting 40km/hr until at least midnight.

But, there are so many other reasons to explain the neighbours not hearing anything. I don't think it is suspicious at all.

If it was so windy then it's highly likely all the neighbours had their windows shut to keep out the gusts. Add this to the noise of the wind itself, and it's highly unlikely anyone heard anything.

I agree. Also there are big trees on the side of the house, which blocks the view and the sound I suppose.

I'm sure someone has mentioned it and probably linked it before but her user name on Pinterest- Quantum Klik- leads to a .com website of the same name. What is the significance of all the domains she has listed there? I ask as the most un-tech/web savvy person there is. BTW her user name is pretty awesome. How lucky that her initials all tie in to savvy web marketing.

I've been a lurker... This being my 1st post EVER. (Please delete if I'm not following rules correctly)...
I just watched the press conference (online) with RO & JO. Did anyone else notice JO seemed a bit despondent? In that she closed her eyes for a length of time, then staring, shaking her head at one point... Etc. I cannot even imagine her feelings at this time. I'm really hopeful that she is possibly medicated (I know I would NEED to be!), and there's nothing more to it. RO was heartbreaking. JO could possibly be the "strong" one of the two (as each parenting set seems to have/need), realizing she absolutely MUST hold it together.
I'm praying that ALL are found safe, and SOON!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:Welcome1: :seeya:

Hi everyone, taking a break from preparing a mock crown brief for class, I was so hoping there would be a break by now. I am in ontario and have never been out west. I was wondering if there are any wooded areas near the scene?
I know that's a long shot but I have a hard time accepting that if this was indeed a stranger issue / botched home invasion, they would harm Nathan. I was just wondering if there are any back road type areas that a suspect could of possibly let the little guy out? It's one thing to harm an adult even in an event that was premeditated, a child on the other hand.... Maybe it's just that in the very least I hope Nathan is found unharmed and okay.

I pushed the red saturation on the photo ...

This photo almost seems 'stronger' than the 8 metre drag photo.

As if the 'injury' if there was one, happened here.

It's confusing, because, I think the assumption is made that whatever was 'dragged' if there was, heaven forbid, a body 'dragged', that it was done FROM the side door TO the front, simply because of the number 14 at the side and 15/16 at the front, for the evidence markers.

How does a working theory change, if the person was perhaps injured at the front, and it does almost look as if that is blood spatter there, if you go by the red saturation.

Maybe it was simply a can of paint that fell/was knocked over, and the dripping can was carried to the side.

I've been a lurker... This being my 1st post EVER. (Please delete if I'm not following rules correctly)...
I just watched the press conference (online) with RO & JO. Did anyone else notice JO seemed a bit despondent? In that she closed her eyes for a length of time, then staring, shaking her head at one point... Etc. I cannot even imagine her feelings at this time. I'm really hopeful that she is possibly medicated (I know I would NEED to be!), and there's nothing more to it. RO was heartbreaking. JO could possibly be the "strong" one of the two (as each parenting set seems to have/need), realizing she absolutely MUST hold it together.
I'm praying that ALL are found safe, and SOON!!!!!

I am a mom, my child is a part of me that is separate from my body (how I feel anyway) IMO I think she just just be in survival mode. Self preservation is the strongest human emotion/reaction.

Also she discovered them missing, we don't know exactly what she discovered but she might be in shock, the brain will shut parts down just to cope. At least that's what happened for me after my brother took his own life. I'd get super anxious starry to panic then BOOM I was fine. I don't know if that's relevant but is like to give her the benefit of the doubt until something comes out or she acts super sketchy

I can't seem to move past domestic dispute gone wrong..

IMO.. The evidence left behind is that of her mother.

I think that's one distinct possibility, but hearing about the bankrupcy has shifted my position towards someone wanting to recoup money now that the house and contents were being liquidated. There's something about the timing of the house sale, the liquidation sale, and the abduction.

I tried searching for info on the bankrupcy, but there's a fee per search

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/bsf-osb/ins/login.html?lang=eng

http://www.bankruptcy-canada.ca/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-records.htm

I posted a link to the historical weather site upthread. It was 12C that day. That's 53F. There would be no air conditioners and no open windows. I'm guessing that everyone had turned up the heat.

Search Results: June 29 , 2014

Max Temp: 15.8 °C

Min Temp: 10.4 °C

Mean Temp: 13.1 °C

Precip Accumulation: 3.7 mm

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/historical-weather/caab0049

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online