The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 9th July - Trial Day 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuller was great. He didn't do any finger-pointing but there were several gestures in Gerards direction when describing certain things. Judge had quite a nice speaking voice I thought, but of course it was very wordy and I found my mind wandering. I don't want to ever be on a jury I don't think!

I agree. I've be called up to do jury service about 6 times. I'm obviously on their "hit list" but I'm in a country town so there is a smaller pool of people. Unfortunately I couldn't do it due to business and family commitments but one day I will. It's a very important community service, and would be quite interesting, maybe boring at times, but still a worthwhile thing to do.

OBW's smile is that of arrogant ignorance masquerading as confidence...just like when she said it will all come out in the trial...as if somehow GBC was going to come out of this smelling like roses. That woman is seriously delusional...seems to be a family trait. The smug arrogance on GBC's face in that side photo of the scratches on his face...grrrr

That smooth operator will go back to Arthur Gorrie tonight alone in the back of a big prison van and have yet another full strip search before getting fed. Then in his little dark cell he knows why he's in that dog box and he's fighting and dreaming to be acquitted to fool more people and possibly next time murder his children when times again get tough.

<modsnip>

<modsnip>.

What I'm saying is if he is acquitted with his narcissistic personality God only know what unbridled arrogance will spew forth. Someone who murders his wife during 'tough times', what would stop him murdering his children. Allison was family, children are family and a murderer is a murderer.

I really feel for the jurors in serious matters such as this.

To be chosen to make a decision which may well see a human being incarcerated for the rest of their life must be a harrowing process, knowing that whatever decision you make will be broadcast to millions in the coming weeks and if you do convict there is always the chance of vacation of the verdict on appeal undoing all of your hard work.

To top it all off, hundreds, if not thousands of people have seen your face, many will know your name and that must be of some concern, particularly if you acquit. Call me paranoid but it would be in the back of my mind that someone may choose to exact revenge on me or one of my fellow jurors for a perceived unjust verdict.

The images will haunt every single one of them for the rest of their lives too, horrible stuff.

I agree... Huge responsibility to get it right. No one wants a murderer to walk free or an innocent person to go to jail.

I agree... Huge responsibility to get it right. No one wants a murderer to walk free or an innocent person to go to jail.

I know what it is like Timmy. I've been a juror on a high profile murder case years ago. At least now they have support for the jury afterwards. I went home exhausted, feeling so very alone and super-stressed, even though I believed that we made the right decision of guilty. Being on a jury is no picnic!

I don't have your same life experience but I also don't think the blood proves anything.

I am puzzled by blood transfer but no plant matter.

And I am well and truly in the minority. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if I was on the jury, I would leave the blood as inconclusive of anything. And that would mean it doesn't support or weaken the case against him. For me, the scratches and the plant matter are enough to remove reasonable doubt.

Please read this again without snipping and changing my post.

What I'm saying is if he is acquitted with his narcissistic personality God only know what unbridled arrogance will spew forth. Someone who murders his wife during 'tough times', what would stop him murdering his children. Allison was family, children are family and a murderer is a murderer.

Yes. Murderers are evil and when they get away with it become cocky. Very scary man

Judge Byrne talked through each set of evidence by category (e.g., mental health; financial issues). I felt the summary of the evidence relating to Allison's mental health really undermined the defence theory and showed that way too much prominence has been given to Allison's experience of depression - there is NO evidence that she was or ever has been suicidal (IMO). She has experienced depression (as so many have) and managed it - that evidence is strong.

Dr TG diagnosed depression some years ago. Perhaps the more accurate diagnosis was a manipulating, controlling, cheating husband.

I know what it is like Timmy. I've been a juror on a high profile murder case years ago. At least now they have support for the jury afterwards. I went home exhausted, feeling so very alone and super-stressed, even though I believed that we made the right decision of guilty. Being on a jury is no picnic!
How did the evidence compare with the evidence in this trial? Was it mostly circumstantial ? That is an awful responsibility!

Allioops, do you know when the law in Queensland got changed? When I was a juror on a murder trial in the mid 1990's, the judge told us that we could only decide on guilty or not guilty of murder. We were told we couldn't deviate to manslaughter as it wasn't the original charge (We would not have gone for manslaughter even if we could). So I've lived all these years thinking that a jury couldn't change a murder charge to manslaughter.
Appreciate your comments.

Hi Liadan, I could listen to him all day no problems. I personally didn't see any finger pointing going on and while I didn't mind listening to JB alot of the legal jargon went way over my head.
It was nice to meet you Kiwijayne, Snails and Itsthevibe.

Yep I absolutely think that he was going with the random stranger attack to begin with. This is based on him saying Allison wasn't suicidal and was in a good frame of mind, and he where he left her body.

I agree with this - and it is also why he ditched the phone at that stage - he was going with the random stranger story at the start. IMO the suicide story came either from his family or his defence team or both.

No offense...but maybe you are not very sensitive. Others may be very much so.

I'm not sure that's a fair distinction. Yes we are all different. I know I can bump myself and it hurts like the proverbial, but I can also nick myself and not notice until I see blood. Sometimes the only way I realise I've cut myself and therefore to look for blood, is because of that horrid slicing feeling rather than actual pain. It can take a while for the pain to kick in if it's a clean cut. And superficial cuts can bleed a lot. Moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member