VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the original lawyer JM spoke to told him to get out of town until the forensics came back?
Or until he could hire a lawyer

Yes but I don't think the lawyer or JM anticipated the warrant for reckless driving. So obviously now the lawyer will be telling him to get his butt back and turn himself in.

Camblos’ Greatest Hits

Getting Away with Murder
On September 22, 1998, three friends robbed the Shell station on Ivy Road, murdering clerk Osama Hassan for $100.03. The murder was committed by a mentally retarded boy after being forced to do so by his friend Dylan Tyree. All three were charged with the man’s murder.

On May 8, 2001, Judge Paul Peatross was forced to drop all charges against Tyree. The state appeals court found that Jim Camblos’ had improperly handled the case, making much of the evidence inadmissible. No evidence, no conviction. The other two were convicted easily. Tyree remains free to this day

Read ON!
http://cvillenews.com/2007/11/05/vote-against-camblos/

Veteran prosecutor Camblos returns to private practice

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_1870ae78-7bd6-11e3-b68b-001a4bcf6878.html
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Jim Camblos has spent the past 22 years as a prosecutor, a role he pursued with gusto.

“Everybody is entitled to good representation,” said Camblos, who said he enjoys working as a defense lawyer. The nuances of defense work not visible to everyone intrigue him, he said. He said he believes if a client is accused of murder and is convicted of assault and battery, “I’ve won my case.”

Becoming an attorney came naturally to Camblos, who says attorneys and judges in his family date back to the 1850s. “They were all judges and lawyers,” he said. Camblos graduated from the University of Virginia, and spent three and a half years in the military before attending Western New England College of Law in Springfield, Mass.

I have felt that JM isn't actually on the run. I didn't get that feeling after last nights PC. No mention of probable location. No mention of danger he poses while at large. I'm guessing his lawyer has been in contact with LE and they are hammering out details and terms for turning himself in. I'm hearing very little about a y manhunt. Anyone else pick up this idea?

She did. She was lost. She texted that she was lost. She texted a friend to come and get her because she was lost. The last text, at 1:20AM indicates that she believed she was at 14th and Wertland and still lost, even though that is a five minute walk from her apartment.

Purely speculating here but has anyone considered this scenario?

HG goes to Tempo with JLM who plies her with alcohol and 15 minutes later accompanies him back to his apartment for another round of drinks.

While there JLM starts trying to have sex with her..... she may even have been willing at first....up until a certain point. He is a stranger and the fact that hes black, especially if she had never dated a black man before, could have been very alarming to her. So could sex with a complete stranger. Or maybe he was being too rough, or insistent....or whatever (insert any numbers of theories here)

*note* This isnt meant to antagonize or to start a discussion about race, its meant to establish her possible frame of mind and offer an explanation of what "could" have happened. There are many other scenarios that could have happened that night.Im just offering one possible explanation out of hundreds or even thousands of others.

She freaks out and hurriedly gets dressed...leaving an item or two of clothing in the apartment and runs out....she has no idea where she is at and frantically tries to text a friend that she is lost somewhere near Wertland which is the last landmark she can remember on the ride over.

While shes texting, JLM catches up to her and lashes out like hes done to at least two other people on two separate occasions.

He may have known that he could get in trouble for this and wanted to stop her from calling what he assumed to be police...... or he simply could have been angry at her leaving.

People have compared him to Lenny in "Of Mice and Men" and have said he doesnt know his own strength.

His blow knocks her out and he drags her back to the car, or goes and gets the car, maybe he even followed her in the car, and shoves her inside only to realize minutes later that he's killed her.

Then he drives to a remote location hes been to as a cab driver, getting mud on the tires in the process and dumps her body where he hopes it wont be found.

He doesnt go to football practice the next day because hes hung-over and exhausted from last nights activities and thinks it best to lay low.

He sees the news and the videos on T.V but doesnt come forward because he know it will incriminate him.In the back of his mind hes already started planning to leave town as soon as possible.

A few days later hes majorly panicking as coverage and the search for HG intensifies, people are starting to look at him strangely and he also had the police search his car and his home.

He knows it only a matter of time now.

He goes to the police dept with the idea of throwing them off the trail by appearing to cooperate and asking for an attorney. Maybe he was even having second thoughts or feeling guilty at this point.

Later on he sees the cars that are supposed to be covertly following him and takes off at a high rate of speed because he assumes they are coming to arrest him for HGs murder.

It certainly seems plausible to me given what we know of JLM and of this case so far.

As someone pointed out, it doesn't appear 100% clear whether the attorney is rep'ing the family or JM. It's possible he's rep'ing the family in connection with the police questioning them about JM's whereabouts and for advice on how they can best help JM given the circumstances. It sounds most likely that he's been retained on behalf of JM, but I haven't seen that confirmed by the family or the attorney yet. In fact, in the one article, it said Camblos declined to discuss the case or his "client."

Also, assuming he is representing JM and is able to talk to him (directly or indirectly), just because Camblos will suggest that JM turn himself in, doesn't mean JM will listen or agree.

Anyone can hire an attorney for someone else. They dont care who pays them...
I would assume his family initiated it because 1-JM did not want to stick his head out or 2- They are paying for it.
There is no reason to hire this type of attorney to rep the family about questioning by the police. He is Jm's attorney and his family is paying for it.

Sorry getting up to speed. Has a lawyer, has he turned himself in yet or still negotiating that?

Isn't it the same lawyer?

I think so. JM arrived at police station with a list of lawyers he wanted them to call. According to Longo, they called the first one and he came down, I'm presuming it was JM's first preference. This has not been clarified officially though

@Lovepink- he's still AWOL

Marking my place and heading back downstairs. Nothing interesting happening there.

I'm not convinced this lawyer knows where he is. The Washington Post article says the lawyer was hired on Saturday when he showed up at the station and asked LE to make his phone calls for him. But, after that he took off.

If the lawyer does know where he is, I expect he will turn himself in today and that's why the lawyer's name was released now.

IMO

Camblos’ Greatest Hits

Getting Away with Murder
On September 22, 1998, three friends robbed the Shell station on Ivy Road, murdering clerk Osama Hassan for $100.03. The murder was committed by a mentally retarded boy after being forced to do so by his friend Dylan Tyree. All three were charged with the man’s murder.

On May 8, 2001, Judge Paul Peatross was forced to drop all charges against Tyree. The state appeals court found that Jim Camblos’ had improperly handled the case, making much of the evidence inadmissible. No evidence, no conviction. The other two were convicted easily. Tyree remains free to this day

Read ON!
http://cvillenews.com/2007/11/05/vote-against-camblos/

:thud: :censored:

I wonder if their train of thought was as such:

abduction can be anything - you don't have to move a person from one location or another, all that matters is that you have physical contact (correct me if I'm wrong - it may just be as simple as preventing someone from leaving an area) and that person feels unsafe or intimidated, unable to leave. Did they choose abduction for the video footage of JM with his arm around HG? That, if she felt unsafe, could be considered abduction.

As for intent to defile, I know they say they have forensic evidence.. I wonder if they have a hair of hers in his car, or, if they have semen maybe somewhere in the car (though I would have to question how old said semen is). Or, did they get the intent to defile when they heard accounts that he bought her a drink?

All JMO - I don't bash you on your opinions, so please do not bash me for mine. :twocents:

None of us know exactly what LE has to come up with this charge. IMO, the DA here is very cautious. Longo, on national tv, out and out said the reason they could not arrest JM, detain JM was because it came down to it being teh DA's call. I got the distinct impression, he would have been more aggressive without that constraint. A DA has to win cases to keep his job, most of the time, so that person will be careful not to have to proceed with charges that are not sustainable. Apparently, this charge is one this DA feels he can win. He will have a formidable opponent in the court, in that JM has hired an experienced lawyer who knows exactly how the system there works, has told JM not to say anythng and JM has not made any official statement to LE, and this attorney is likely keeping tabs on the situation very carefully and thoroughly, every step, because of national exposure. The DA is going to have to be very careful in proceeding with this case, and LE can't make big mistakes, or things can be disallowed in court.

SO whatever was found likely supports this charge. If not, this attorney seems quite capable of ripping it to shreds in an instant.

Frankly, at this point, innocent or guilty, if JM were someone close to me, beloved to me, I'd want him in custody for his own safety. Jail is the safest place for him to be, especially with an expereinced attorney on the case and with national spotlight on him.

Purely speculating here but has anyone considered this scenario?

HG goes to Tempo with JLM who plies her with alcohol and 15 minutes later accompanies him back to his apartment for another round of drinks.

While there JLM starts trying to have sex with her..... she may even have been willing at first....up until a certain point. He is a stranger and the fact that hes black, especially if she had never dated a black man before, could have been very alarming to her. So could sex with a complete stranger.

She freaks out and hurriedly gets dressed...leaving an item or two of clothing in the apartment and runs out....she has no idea where she is at and frantically tries to text a friend that she is lost somewhere near Wertland which is the last landmark she can remember on the ride over.

While shes texting, JLM catches up to her and lashes out like hes done to at least two other people on two separate occasions.

He may have know that he could get in trouble for this and wanted to stop her from calling what he assumed to be police...... or he simply could have been angry at her leaving.

People have compared him to Lenny in 'Of Mice and Men" and have said he doesnt know his own strength.

His blow knocks her out and he drags her back to the car or goes and gets the car and shoves her inside only to realize minutes later that he's killed her.

Then he drives to a remote location hes been to as a cab driver, getting mud on the tires in the process and dumps her body where he hopes it wont be found.

He doesnt go to football practice the next day because hes hung-over and exhausted from last nights activities and thinks it best to lay low.

He sees the news and the videos on T.V but doesnt come forward because he know it will incriminate him.In the back of his mind hes already started planning to leave town as soon as possible.

A few days later hes majorly panicking as coverage and the search for HG intensifies, people are starting to look at him strangely and he also had the police search his car and his home.

He knows it only a matter of time now.

He goes to the police dept with the idea of throwing them off the trail by appearing to cooperate and asking for an attorney. Maybe he was even having second thoughts or feeling guilty at this point.

Later on he sees the cars that are supposed to be covertly following him and takes off at a high rate of speed because he assumes they are coming to arrest him for HGs murder.

It certainly seems plausible to me given what we know of JLM and of this case so far.

A lot of this strikes me as possible. I might go a different direction here or there (e.g., the text timeline doesn't quite line up), but I do think it's possible that she consented to being with him alone someplace (maybe not his apartment, since he had roommates... who knew if they were in town or at home), and I think it's possible that she thought better of it at some point and tried to leave or left.

Re Bessie's request for names of four or five of missing/murdered along RT 29.

Please add more suggestions or opinions of who to choose and why. I'll bet some of you know the ins and outs of theses cases so well you could pick those with a better chance of being connected. At least for me it would make it more interesting. Do we want to pick one that already has a conviction? Why or why not?
Choose those who disappeared or were found closest together?
Those who have a described attacker with a similarities?
Similar possible MO, surrounding facts, method if we have clues?

Dashad Sage Smith, transgendered 19-year-old, last seen in the 500 block of West Main, Charlottesville, Nov. 20, 2012. There's a POI who had contact with Dashad the day she disappeared - POI has also disappeared. However, look where the search dogs got a hit:

At a sediment pond behind the UVA Outpatient Surgery Center behind UVA Medical Center, Brake says, two dogs made a "slight indication," a sign they might have picked up Smith's scent. Although the dogs' handlers told investigators the indication wasn't strong enough to be certain, Brake says a dive team was called in to search the pond, which is nine feet deep at the center.

They found nothing.

http://www.readthehook.com/108959/missing-inside-dashad-smith-investigation

I don't think his lawyer knows where he is. If that were my client I would NOT want to know where he was because then I would be helping a fugitive. Privilege applies to past crimes, but you can't help your client continue to commit crimes or commit new crimes with your client. I am sure his lawyer is encouraging him to turn himself in though. Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member