Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama needs to close the damn borders! This is is b.s that people are allowed in our country. If you notice the people they are testing are all people who have come from Africa.

Local Dallas news is reporting that the nurse has received a blood transfusion from one of the American ebola survivors. I am SO GLAD to hear that she was a blood type match. Crossing fingers that this will give her a major boost to fight this infection.

Obama needs to close the damn borders! This is is b.s that people are allowed in our country. If you notice the people they are testing are all people who have come from Africa.

You might also notice that so far, all the people they have tested have been negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also local news is reporting that ALL contacts of Mr. Duncan remain healthy. This is very encouraging.

Saying that there was a "breach of protocol" is NOT a moral judgement. It's not "throwing someone under the bus". It's just saying that somewhere along the line, either human error/fatigue/lapse or equipment failure or something went wrong.

Seems to me if they didn't have a "buddy system" to help the staff then the proper protocol was NEVER in place to begin with. These hospital folks are changing in and out of the suits several times a day, if there are multiple staff members working with a patient that adds up quick.

It isn't a matter of IF there will be a mistakes, it is a matter of having a backup plan to keep those expected mistakes from becoming disasters.

Yep that's a good thing.

It's a VERY good thing. Try not to panic every time they're testing someone - it's GOOD that they do this, it means everyone is paying attention.

Personally I'm mixed on closing the borders. Well to clarify, I'm against closing borders, but mixed on putting a stop to commercial flights from affected areas.

I'm also concerned that we are already seeing a stigma towards anyone who is from anywhere in Africa (despite the enormous size of the continent - US folks are in general pretty poor at world geography and it shows), or has been to/come from anywhere in Africa. At the beginning of all this, many Americans commented about how unfortunate it is that in the affected W African nations, there is often a stigma with Ebola that leads to denial. Well, we are already seeing a stigma here - and we have had only two cases. Hysteria and stigmatization are never helpful, ever.

I'm impressed with this Kansas City hospital. Seems they are doing everything right unlike Dallas.

I agree but he will never do it.

Local Dallas news is reporting that the nurse has received a blood transfusion from one of the American ebola survivors. I am SO GLAD to hear that she was a blood type match. Crossing fingers that this will give her a major boost to fight this infection.

Is that right? So that must mean that post Ebola blood is really strong ! That's great news !

Seems to me if they didn't have a "buddy system" to help the staff then the proper protocol was NEVER in place to begin with. These hospital folks are changing in and out of the suits several times a day, if there are multiple staff members working with a patient that adds up quick so absolutely WILL happen.

It isn't a matter of IF there will be a mistakes, it is a matter of having a backup plan to keep those expected mistakes from becoming disasters.

I agree totally Sonya. As my husband the tech dude says, user/operator error is usually behind almost any problem. It's not a moral judgement, it's just acknowledgement that we aren't gods lol.

I agree that the hospital obviously did not have proper planning and protocol steps in place. That is not the fault of Freiden (I cannot get the spelling of this guys name right!) nor the CDC. The CDC regularly sends out bulletins/information/guidelines to hospitals/clinics/etc. Whether state/local health departments do a good job in implementing/educating on them is up to them. Whether individual hospitals/clinics follow and listen is apparently up to them too.

I have said before that someone is falling down in Dallas. I don't know if it's the local/state health authority, or just this hospital. But someone has not been following through on making sure guidelines will be followed and that healthcare professionals are ready. This puts both patients AND workers at risk, unfortunately.

Seems to me if they didn't have a "buddy system" to help the staff then the proper protocol was NEVER in place to begin with. These hospital folks are changing in and out of the suits several times a day, if there are multiple staff members working with a patient that adds up quick.

Yep...making mistakes is human ...that is major reason why I left Emory University Hospital .....as a virologist there. Not during this outbreak ... but many years ago with another virus that now is *commonly* understood.. HIV ...

ETA Good to hear nurse has just received plasma infusion from recovered person ...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Yep...making mistakes is human ...that is major reason why I left Emory University Hospital .....as a virologist there. Not during this outbreak ... years ago with another virus ...

ETA Good to hear nurse has just received plasma infusion from recovered person ...

Wow ATL. A virologist? Fascinating. I would love to hear how labs deal with highly contagious viruses!

Yep...making mistakes is human ...that is major reason why I left Emory University Hospital .....as a virologist there. Not during this outbreak ... years ago with another virus ...

Because I'm nosy, lol - which virus?

Up thread, there was discourse regarding hemodialysis for acute renal failure. IIRC, Another advantage of doing hemodialysis with Ebola in the hemorrhagic phase is to help combat DIC (dessiminated intravascular coagulation).

I am going back to my ICU days, so if anyone else can weigh in on this, I would appreciate it.

Is that right? So that must mean that post Ebola blood is really strong ! That's great news !

Well, we don't know for sure what effect this will have. But I'm very very hopeful for this dedicated young lady that this will help her beat this illness.

I know a lot of the ICU nurses at this hospital and I'm feeling constantly sick inside worrying for them.

Remember people, when you bash this "hospital," that the "hospital" is so much more than the administrators. It is TEEMING with smart, dedicated professionals, doctors, nurses, CNAs, respiratory techs, lab techs, etc., who had nothing to do with the fiasco and who have always given and continue to give excellent care to their patients.

It's a VERY good thing. Try not to panic every time they're testing someone - it's GOOD that they do this, it means everyone is paying attention.

Personally I'm mixed on closing the borders. Well to clarify, I'm against closing borders, but mixed on putting a stop to commercial flights from affected areas.

I'm also concerned that we are already seeing a stigma towards anyone who is from anywhere in Africa (despite the enormous size of the continent - US folks are in general pretty poor at world geography and it shows), or has been to/come from anywhere in Africa. At the beginning of all this, many Americans commented about how unfortunate it is that in the affected W African nations, there is often a stigma with Ebola that leads to denial. Well, we are already seeing a stigma here - and we have had only two cases. Hysteria and stigmatization are never helpful, ever.

Beautifully put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members