Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - just remember what stigma/fear did for HIV/aids: it kept people from testing, it kept people in denial.

This is NOT AIDS -- by the time the U.S. discovered we had AIDS cases it had already infected a large part of the population.

Ebola does NOT need to infect the U.S. (at least not via tourists from Africa) so arguments that say "we shouldn't try to stop it from coming here" just do not make any sense to me at ALL (other than spreading it here WILL increase funding dollars).

Also - just remember what stigma/fear did for HIV/aids: it kept people from testing, it kept people in denial. People would think, "Oh, he's not gay, so Im safe". Stigmatizing puts people in danger. We have to look clearly at things, because acting out of fear results in denial and risky behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again ..please read the book " And the band played on"

Perhaps a thread for ones that have read it ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Duncan was here on the pretext of "visiting", even though he only had a one-way ticket. He hadn't applied for the Fiance Visa.
Why not close our borders to people flying in from the affected areas until this thing is under control? Why do they need to schedule a vacation here now??? We can still fly medical personnel and supplies to West Africa via military transport. Proposing this is not mass hysteria. Other countries are doing the exact same thing.

BBM. He had a round trip ticket not one way.

http://gotnews.com/exclusive-gotnews-com-leaked-flight-info-ebola-dallas-patient/

This is NOT AIDS -- by the time the U.S. discovered we had AIDS cases it had already infected a large part of the population.

Ebola does NOT need to infect the U.S. (at least not via tourists from Africa) so arguments that say "we shouldn't try to stop it from coming here" just do not make any sense to me at ALL (other than spreading it here WILL increase funding dollars).

AIDS has been in the US as early as 1960s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rayford

BBM. Duncan was here on the pretext of "visiting", even though he only had a one-way ticket. He hadn't applied for the Fiance Visa.
Why not close our borders to people flying in from the affected areas until this thing is under control? Why do they need to schedule a vacation here now??? We can still fly medical personnel and supplies to West Africa via military transport. Proposing this is not mass hysteria. Other countries are doing the exact same thing.

Exactly. I wonder why they do not think that part where chartered airplanes can fly into Ebola zones.

I have a question for RNs or MDs. Does it make sense to you to take off gloves then remove the rest of the PPE? Per CDC, then just wash hands well if they become contaminated. I don't understand why a fresh pair of gloves wouldn't be used to remove the rest of the gear. Thanks.

With single gloves, the gloves are the last to come off in normal situations. By double gloving the second pair could be left on to remove head gear, goggles.

But we have over 100 people coming DAILY from Western Africa - and yet we only have two cases so far. It's not a matter of "let it come here" - that is a done deal in the small world we live in. It is a matter of realistic risks. Even if someone comes from Liberia/SL/Guinea the risk is small. Someone comes from Nigeria, Senegal, Botswana, the risk is smaller. Yet people want to treat everyone from anywhere in Africa the same; regardless of how near/far they are from outbreaks.

We need to keep things in perspective, and not stigmatize people simply for being from the same continent as Ebola.

Stigmatization causes blinders. Ebola does not have to be exactly the same as HIV to compare what happens when people stigmatize according to who they think is a possible carrier.

Anderson Cooper talking about the nurse's dog named Bently...not yet being put down. :( My guess is perhaps Bently is getting blood tests every day to better understand if dogs are carriers and for ???? what time period. I just don't think that this dog would be allowed to live without learning what role they may play/proving dogs do not play.... in spread of this virus.

((Bently))

I think it's standard for anyone coming on a tourist visa to have a round trip ticket.. Otherwise you're giving the impression that you plan on staying.. Immigration doesn't grant the visa unless you have round trip fare..
But people do it every day with no intention of going back.. Hence Duncan quit his job... Was planning on marrying Louise.. And to do this properly you'd need to apply for the fiance visa which takes longer.. Also part of the visa is showing financial ability to support the immigrant to avoid more people on welfare etc.

As I said I am mixed on a commercial ban from the three heavily hit nations.

But keep in mind - even from an affected nation like Liberia, not everyone has or carries Ebola! Liberia has approx 4 million citizens. Go conservative and say 10k are affected. Of the 150 or so that fly in, what are the chances you will be infected by one?

It is scary, but we need to be realistic. Not everyone from the three heavily affected nations is contagious. Of those who are, how many can afford to make it here? How many hold dual citizenship? How many come on business or to see family? Duncan is but one man out of millions!

BBM. True, but this is an extremely contagious, deadly disease. You might be given a death sentence before you even know you were exposed to it. If more people like Duncan fly here before they are showing symptoms, this country is in trouble. Some might come because they know they can get hospitalization and treatment options here like Duncan was given that they wouldn't get in their home countries.

Apparently Louise's pastor has been visiting with her in person, but they do not touch each other. He says she is grieving but looking forward to returning to a community & people she loves. None of her family has shown any symptoms. I must say I respect this pastor tremendously for showing Christian compassion to a fellow human in need. He is literally living & practicing his faith.

Apparently Louise's pastor has been visiting with her in person, but they do not touch each other. He says she is grieving but looking forward to returning to a community & people she loves. None of her family has shown any symptoms. I must say I respect this pastor tremendously for showing Christian compassion to a fellow human in need. He is literally living & practicing his faith.
Curious as to when their 21 day quarantine is up.

I think it's standard for anyone coming on a tourist visa to have a round trip ticket.. Otherwise you're giving the impression that you plan on staying.. Immigration doesn't grant the visa unless you have round trip fare..
But people do it every day with no intention of going back.. Hence Duncan quit his job... Was planning on marrying Louise.. And to do this properly you'd need to apply for the fiance visa which takes longer.. Also part of the visa is showing financial ability to support the immigrant to avoid more people on welfare etc.

I wasn't debating that part or anything - I'm not Duncan so I have no idea what his intentions are just as no one else does.

Just addressing the untruth (the one-way ticket) of the post.

But, what else would it be - protocal mistake makes sense to me - hospital was not one of the 4 really trained on this, correct?

Anderson now is basically asking , over there, if someone wanted to could they scam the screening? Well, I would think so = like what else is expected?

ANd (!) why would they just not automatically just send people to the 4 hospitals - its kinda like going to the best place for a procedure - use there skills while the rest of the system gets more training

Garden
We need to keep things in perspective, and not stigmatize people simply for being from the same continent as Ebola.

I so agree, we are treading on very scary ice here - we as a nation start doing these kind of things-spooly motion picture kind of stuff - dangeroues in a whole bunch of ways

RE Why not close our borders to people flying in from the affected areas until this thing is under control
Media is doing this a lot --we cant do it from Mexico - I just cant comprehend how this can be done, even tho IMO it is not necc - but for the sake of discussion how would they do that?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-health-ebola-usa-nurse-idUSKCN0I206820141013
BY JULIE STEENHUYSEN
CHICAGO Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04am EDT
CDC head criticized for blaming 'protocol breach' as nurse gets Ebola

BBM. True, but this is an extremely contagious, deadly disease. You might be given a death sentence before you even know you were exposed to it. If more people like Duncan fly here before they are showing symptoms, this country is in trouble. Some might come because they know they can get hospitalization and treatment options here like Duncan was given that they wouldn't get in their home countries.

Look how that turned out for Duncan. Besides, have you seen how most West Africans live? I really don't think leaving their community in a crisis to go to America is much of an option. Or if they'd want to. Live is rough for many over there. They've been dealing with death on a large scale for decades. America, Australia, Canada etc can handle a few cases, I think. I know some disagree. I'm more worried about Ebola going somewhere like India.

Anderson Cooper CNN live is VERY informative............bless the health care workers

USA 'over confident' that Ebola wouldn't come here........
If health care is afraid they won't go to work and we will have allot of problems.

Kansas hospital isolates a paint runs Ebola tests.
TX nurse getting anti bodies from blood transfusion from Dr that survived!
cnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member