Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA 'over confident' that Ebola wouldn't come here........
If health care is afraid they won't go to work and we will have allot of problems.

Kansas hospital isolates a paint runs Ebola tests.
TX nurse getting anti bodies from blood transfusion from Dr that survived!
cnn

So far Dr. Branly donated to three Ebola victims. Poor guy will have no blood left if this spreads! How often can one even donate?

Anderson Cooper talking about the nurse's dog named Bently...not yet being put down. :( My guess is perhaps Bently is getting blood tests every day to better understand if dogs are carriers and for ???? what time period. I just don't think that this dog would be allowed to live without learning what role they may play/proving dogs do not play.... in spread of this virus.

((Bently))

Bentley is fine. Latest article I read is that Bentley is treated humanely and even has toys to play with.
My feeling is very unlikely the dog is infected. This nurse was in very early stage of the disease. Even Mr. Duncan's family does not appear to have been infected, at least so far, (and Mr. Duncan was already showing significant symptoms).
I think the only symptom nurse had was a low grade fever. Her viral load was low upon being admitted to the hospital.
So I think the dog is going to be fine.

Family and friends have asked for prayer for Nina - Dallas ebola patient.
Time: Now

One of my friends nannies for a doctor/professor at UW Hospital (a VERY well respected hospital in Wisconsin). My friend said she came home from work tonight came and was very verbal about how unprepared the UW hospital is to deal with Ebola. She's thinking of un-volunteering for the ebola stuff she was going to take on because their preparation is not up to par and in her words it is very easy to screw it up. She mentioned telling the doc/guy in charge to come tell her kids that the equipment they really need to order is too expensive

A top scientist worries that Ebola has mutated to become more contagious

Updated by Julia Belluz on October 13, 2014, 9:00 a.m. ET 
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/13/6959087/ebola-outbreak-virus-mutated-airborne
snipped

Peter Jahrling now serves as a chief scientist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, where he runs the emerging viral pathogens section.

When his team has run tests on patients in Liberia, they seem to carry a much higher "viral load." In other words, Ebola victims today have more of the virus in their blood — and that could make them more contagious.

"I have a field team in Monrovia. They are running [tests]. They are telling me that viral loads are coming up very quickly and really high, higher than they are used to seeing. It turns out that in limited studies with the evacuated patients, they continued to express virus in blood and semen. What does that mean? Right now, we just don't know."

"I want to know if this virus is intrinsically different from the one we have seen before, if it is a more virulent strain. We are using tests now that [we]
weren't using in the past, but there seems to be a belief that the virus load is higher in these patients [today] than what we have seen before. If true, that's a very different bug."

As I watched Dr take off a (pretend) contaminated suit............very carefully and he has 2 tiny contamination marks............chocolate syrup..............I thought this virus is so strong..........a tiny spot on a human to human and wham ..............ebola.............how is Louise? and family? She was in such close contact with Duncan in the beginning and his dear nurse was infected near the end.

any word on how she is doing? more infected? how is her husband?

As I watched Dr take off a (pretend) contaminated suit............very carefully and he has 2 tiny contamination marks............chocolate syrup..............I thought this virus is so strong..........a tiny spot on a human to human and wham ..............ebola.............how is Louise? and family? She was in such close contact with Duncan in the beginning and his dear nurse was infected near the end.

Patients become much more infectious in the end than they were in the beginning. When they are about to die, they become fluid producers. Fluids have huge viral concentration.
Which could explain why nurse got infected even wearing PPE, while Louise appears to be fine (so far).

sot_zpsff71d04b.gif

topic=ebola

To protect us.

Or, tell us the truth. I for one, don't blame the nurses union being up in arms. I would be too.
They need the facts.

They are on the frontlines. They have families.
The last thing they need is inadequate training and politicians poo-pooping legitimate concerns.

The last thing that America needs, is hospital workers walking off of their jobs.
UP to date procedures and necessary equipment needs to be available for our hospitals and their workers.

Doesn't sound to me that this CDC is even close to making that a reality.

So far Dr. Branly donated to three Ebola victims. Poor guy will have no blood left if this spreads! How often can one even donate?

To protect us.

Or, tell us the truth. I for one, don't blame the nurses union being up in arms. I would be too.
They need the facts.

They are on the frontlines. They have families.
The last thing they need is inadequate training and politicians poo-pooping legitimate concerns.

The last thing that America needs, is hospital workers walking off of their jobs.
UP to date procedures and necessary equipment needs to be available for our hospitals and their workers.

Doesn't sound to me that this CDC is even close to making that a reality.

The nurses don't have a problem with CDC as much as they have a problem with the hospitals they work for. A recent survey of nurses showed 85% of them had not received any instruction on Ebola protection procedures from the hospitals where they work.

Out of more than 1,900 nurses in 46 states and Washington D.C. who responded, 76 percent said their hospital still hadn't communicated to them an official policy on admitting potential patients with Ebola. And a whopping 85 percent said their hospital hadn't provided educational training sessions on Ebola in which nurses could interact and ask questions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...urses-shows-heightened-ebola-concerns-n224491

The hospital administrators need to get up to speed. Part of the problem may be that many of them staff hospitals with nurses who come from temp agencies.

One of my friends nannies for a doctor/professor at UW Hospital (a VERY well respected hospital in Wisconsin). My friend said she came home from work tonight came and was very verbal about how unprepared the UW hospital is to deal with Ebola. She's thinking of un-volunteering for the ebola stuff she was going to take on because their preparation is not up to par and in her words it is very easy to screw it up. She mentioned telling the doc/guy in charge to come tell her kids that the equipment they really need to order is too expensive

I would think a cost analysis would show very quickly that buying the correct equipment will be hundreds of thousands of dollars less than if they have an infected patient/and or staff on their watch. Not to mention public perception - Presbyterian Hospital will forever be tied to Ebola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner