Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/20 thru 2/23 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably got the "raffia" word from the salesperson where he bought the herbal tea. It's all very nouveau-hippyish and not at all rare in woo circles. I have often seen woo goodies—candles, aromatherapy baskets, homemade hippy spreads, hand-crafted soap, baskets with TLC contents—embellished with tied raffia. It's that earthy-eco-green thing that goes way back to the 60's. Very common right on the shelf at coops, organic foodstores, Whole Foods and Wild Oats, farmstands, farmers markets.....

Yeah, I know it's common now. I don't remeber 7 years ago or so it was. I shop those places and well...now I search for more products that are better and still shop them. I guess the word raffia just threw me for a bit. tyvm

There is a statistic that I think might simplify the role—i.e. nonexistent—of BPD in the slaughtering of Travis. IIRC, BPDers have a significantly lower rate of homicide than the general population. BPDers have a significantly higher rate of suicide than the general population. So, to say "BPD shoved me in the direction of slaughtering Travis"....just NO! Given the statistics, a non-BPDer would have a statistically higher chance of killing him.
Evidently, the source for these statistics (cited in Wikipedia) is Chapman and Gratz 2007, a handbook for BPDers.

But here's the wrinkle: a significantly high percentage of violent criminals in prison have been diagnosed with BPD (most studies are done in this area). That likely reflects the fact that these criminals frequently have co-morbid conditions (such as anti-personality disorders), have an increased likelihood of being studied because they're available, and their crimes might be unusually violent.

If it makes anyone feel any better Jim Clemente disagreed with the BPD because CMJA is so full of her self. He said she had traits but he called her a brilliant Sociopath. His breakdown of her last allocution is really good. Me, me, me!

Here is Chris Hughes on the witness stand discussing the e mails and how Nurmi lied to Sky about a handwriting expert proving that the faked letters were legit. On the next day, Sky testified http://youtu.be/z4bTzT-c0DI ( they begin this section on another topic )

Facebook post of Chris' View attachment 69801

Here is Sky explaining the emails on Dr Drew http://youtu.be/X36lObDdBUU

Sky on ID http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/deadly-sins/videos/romance-off-the-rails/

Sorry, I'm not buying that. If Skye has experience in working with sexually abused children and Travis was her friend there's no way she'd just believe Nurmi considering her life experience with Travis.

Yes. Jodi Arias has no realistic information about what her life will truly entail.

http://youtu.be/w8o8w5QraIU

Published on May 23, 2013 by
Carl ToersBijns, Former Deputy Warden for AZ
"A brief video and reality check of the journey Jodi Arias is facing as the jury decides her fate ~ Whether she gets a death sentence or life without parole she is doomed for the draconic prison called Perryville where she will likely die as she becomes one of the walking dead in the Arizona desert."

Thanks, Zoey. BTW, saw your tweet this morning about the expert that didn't want to testify and you thought it was ALF/ALV *shrug* - silly woman anyway.

I thought they were talking about Karp (Cheryl...whatever her last name is).

That's a rumor but not the case with everyone. The killer in Arizona that was sentenced in May, and should have received the DP but got LWOP instead is already in general population with a job. Forgot her name. Someone else remember?

Not DeVault? Gawd, I still can't believe they found mitigators for her.

This does not sound like something Travis would write. *sighs*

TA: Wow, that kind of choked me up a little and I know our path hasn't always been roses but I am grateful for the time we have had and the amazing experiences we have had together as well .I’ve had more noteworthy things happen with you than with anyone. I’m not talking about the places I’ve been but the journey of the heart…I just missed a call from you so I’m going to call you now.

I feel like sending her a postcard about that. That and the plastic cup that was found on Travis. "Dear Jodi, what's with that? Were you washing your roots?"

Another thing, while I'm here. I found it strange that Jodi said the names Travis picked for children were Iris (not that bad), Hinckley (WTF?), Reagan (oh...I see) and Megan.

As we all know John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan because he wanted to impress Jodie Foster whom played Iris in Taxi Driver opposite Robert De Niro whom played Travis Bickle. I can't be arsed trying to guess where the Megan came from. Weirdo.

p.s. If I've got my whoms and who mixed up, words aren't my thing.

BBM One of the Mormon Prophets was Gordon B. Hinckley It is a rather popular Mormon baby name.

That's a rumor but not the case with everyone. The killer in Arizona that was sentenced in May, and should have received the DP but got LWOP instead is already in general population with a job. Forgot her name. Someone else remember?

Rumor. Exactly. I don't believe it for a moment. Marissa Devault is the name.

I guess one reason we're talking about Chris and Sky Hughes and their book is because the DT is still smearing Travis Alexander and claiming he led a "super secret sexual" life which only JA knew about.

On Thursday, JW had RG say that any testimony that Chris or Sky would give would be suspect because they were writing a book and because they gave interviews.

BK tweeted that RG said "Theoretically, they'd have valuable information but the key is whether there's a motive not to give accurate information." He implies that by giving interviews or writing a book, a person might be distorting the information. (Hmm. I wonder who else he knows that gave interview and wrote journals and emails and distorted information.)

So, in effect, RG is explaining why the DT did not recall Chris Hughes as a witness. Then, he implies that Chris and Sky could not have really known who Travis was and, if I'm reading this correctly, he is suggesting that Chris and Sky have an anti-JA bias that would lead them to lie about Travis's relationship with JA.

BK tweeted that RG said "It's clear from 48 Hrs that they didn't have a clear picture of their friend. They were calling him a virgin." Uh uh uh. Not so fast, RG. I believe what we have here is a classic example of someone with an agenda distorting the information they are giving to the court in order to gain his cheque.

When I watched the 48 hours show, Picture Perfect about the Jodi Arias trial, I found RG was mistaken or forgetful. Or that he deliberately lied to the jury. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/self-de...s-on-trial-for-brutal-murder-of-ex-boyfriend/) I believe this is likely the interview to which RG referred.

It used material from the original interview done with JA four years after she had been arrested as well as material from the original trial up to the point where the prosecution rested.

The first direct quote about chastity in the Mormon faith came at 1:48.
"There's a core piece of Travis's belief in not having any kind of sexual relations with anyone that you're not married to." Taylor Searle

Searle, and two of Travis's other friends interviewed by 48 hours, believed Travis wanted to marry a Mormon woman and have a family. Later in the interview, Searle and the third friend agreed with Brent Hyatt that Travis "played the field" when it came to socializing with women. (9:13)

The quote to which RG, IMO, refers happens at 8:38. RG did not attribute the quote correctly, nor was it complete.
"I love telling all my friends that my brother is a 30 year old virgin," said Stephen Alexander about his brother, Travis.

Since Sky and Chris Hughes did not appear in the retrial phase, to me it speaks volumes about the fragility of the DT case. The DT, through their "expert witness" stooped to mocking the relationship the couple had with their friend, Travis Alexander, while misleading the jury. Chris did not appear as a witness in the retrial phrase, and yet, JW is still trying to discredit him.

There is a statistic that I think might simplify the role—i.e. nonexistent—of BPD in the slaughtering of Travis. IIRC, BPDers have a significantly lower rate of homicide than the general population. BPDers have a significantly higher rate of suicide than the general population. So, to say "BPD shoved me in the direction of slaughtering Travis"....just NO! Given the statistics, a non-BPDer would have a statistically higher chance of killing him.
Evidently, the source for these statistics (cited in Wikipedia) is Chapman and Gratz 2007, a handbook for BPDers.

But here's the wrinkle: a significantly high percentage of violent criminals in prison have been diagnosed with BPD (most studies are done in this area). That likely reflects the fact that these criminals frequently have co-morbid conditions (such as anti-personality disorders), have an increased likelihood of being studied because they're available, and their crimes might be unusually violent.
Research really is sorely lacking. I found this particular study very interesting and I believe it's valid. It points to the possibility of a new sub-type of female psychopathy that may display symptoms associated with borderline.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323706/

If it makes anyone feel any better Jim Clemente disagreed with the BPD because CMJA is so full of her self. He said she had traits but he called her a brilliant Sociopath. His breakdown of her last allocution is really good. Me, me, me!
They're not mutually exclusive. She can be borderline and still be a psychopath. Alternatively, she could be 'just' borderline but if she were, it's very likely her behaviors and traits would be very, very different (as per Rickshaw's comment). Often, borderlines have issues with self-esteem, confidence, depression, etc. And while they can be manipulative (like threatening to self-harm to keep a mate in the relationship) we don't see the level of manipulation Jodi displays...

The all out war to destroy everything about Travis and come across as a wounded, sacrificial lamb in the process. That's something I've only ever seen by someone personality disordered and psychopathic. When borderlines manipulate, they often do so out of sheer terror. A psychopath manipulates simply to manipulate. It comes from a different place with different motivators.

Her allocution is indeed a perfect example...not only is it all about her but she is single-handedly saving the world and righting society's ills. She really does have this complex delusion that donating her hair warrants saving her life - that by pointing out all the superficial, shallow good she's done it will not only mitigate her crime but also show the world how incredibly thoughtful, special, and precious she is. However, what is even more telling in terms of psychopathy, she never loses an opportunity to trash Travis in the process (Survivor shirts, anyone?).

I agree with Clemente that she is a psychopath but we're also limited to current confines of mental health diagnoses. I think DeMarte did her best to assess given Jodi's history - I suspect she probably is borderline - but only in addition to much more. Personality disorders can be difficult to diagnose, especially when comorbid, and many psychs use a 'best fit' approach. And as previously explained, psychopathy itself can only be found on the spectrum of antisocial personality disorder.

All JMO and FWIW

Raffia, what? hmmm Thanks for the info Tex Mex.

April 29th...I usually wouldn't say raffia and find it odd for Travis to write that. A bow would suffice. (female here though) hmmm

So many things in evidence are questionable as to who said what and who made it seem like someone else wrote/said it. What a stalker he had. RIL TA.

He probably got the "raffia" word from the salesperson where he bought the herbal tea. It's all very nouveau-hippyish and not at all rare in woo circles. I have often seen woo goodies—candles, aromatherapy baskets, homemade hippy spreads, hand-crafted soap, baskets with TLC contents—embellished with tied raffia. It's that earthy-eco-green thing that goes way back to the 60's. Very common right on the shelf at coops, organic foodstores, Whole Foods and Wild Oats, farmstands, farmers markets.....

Raffia is actually quite a common crafting ribbon, specific to a type of paper:

"The membrane on the underside of each individual frond leaf is taken off to create a long thin fibre which can be dyed and woven as a textile into products ranging from hats to shoes to decorative mats. Plain raffia fibres are exported and used as garden ties or as a "natural" string in many countries."

It's very common and a very common name to people who craft things. In no way is it a nouveau item found exclusively at fancy food places. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffia_palm It is a fine addition to any gifts/craft/decorating item and found very commonly at craft supply stores and even grocery shops. Any gifting supply company would carry this commodity. Michaels, Joanns, Target, just about any store in my experience sells raffia by the bulk. IMO :). He could have gone to Kmart or Walmart and found all the crafting items needed to make a nice little get well basket.

Well, I will say that if anyone had a right to claim Travis "abused" them by dating so long and not committing, it was Deanna (years), not Jodi (months). And even Deanna didn't claim that when she of anyone had the most right to!!!

I've always thought this as well lol. Or Lisa Andrews. Jodi on the other hand, got cheated on, knew he played the field but moved to AZ for more "abuse".

If ever in doubt about JA's mental disorders, I read this. It explains DDM's testimony. At least to me. JA's sane & extemely scary. Worthy of a DP. I haven't a claim in either LWOP or DP. It will happen as decided. Pretty sure she wouldn't be liked by other inmates or guards until they figure her out. jmo

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder-symptoms/

From that link: "There should also be evidence of Conduct Disorder in the individual as a child, whether or not it was ever formally diagnosed by a professional."

Highly intelligent JA repeated kindergarten, then attended a "private school" the next three years. Her cash-strapped parents didn't sacrifice to send JA there because she was a prodigy, but because she had a conduct disorder and was out of control imo.

I envision the ring scenario like this

Jodi: oh yeah, the ring. I will tell you about it later.

Later....

Travis: where is my ring?
Jodi: what ring? What are you talking about? I cannot believe you would accuse me of taking your ring. I sit here all Christ-like and you accuse me of taking your ring. I think I will kill myself. Wanna tie me to tree later to make it up to me?
Hilarious

:seeya: Good Morning, Y'all !

Just finished reading the super duper secret in chambers transcript from October 30 ...

And OMG ... I cannot believe that JSS fell for Jodi and the DT's bulldinky !

I need more :cup: !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member