TX Shots fired at a free-speech "draw Muhammad " event in Garland TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain that almost everyone in America, Australia etc. believes that free speech includes the right to speak incendiary and provocative words without the consequence of violence. However, Gellers, Wilders and others put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with. Like it or not, people aren't going to rush to their side. But that doesn't mean their detractors are anti free speech or anti freedom.

The statements and actions by their detractors speak for themselves. Certainly at least two of their detractors were anti free speech.

Did the terrorists who brought guns and grenades to a peaceful cartoon contest not put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with? Why are so many people so willing to rush to their side?

ABC News said officials believed Simpson sent out tweets ahead of the attack, with the last one using the hashtag #texasattack. It said, "My bro and myself have given bay'ah to Amirul Mu'mineen. May Allah accept us as mujahideen. Make dua."

"Bay'ah" means "oath of allegiance" in Arabic, and "Amirul Mu'mineen" is "commander of the faithful," a title of caliphs and other Muslim rulers. "Dua" means "supplication." The tweet was pulled from Twitter after the attack.

A fighter for Islamic State, a militant group which has taken over large parts of Iraq and Syria, said in a tweet that "2 of our brothers just opened fire at the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) art exhibition in Texas," according to the SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S.-based monitoring group.

SITE identified the writer as "Abu Hussain AlBritani," a name used by British Islamic state fighter Junaid Hussain.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/04/us-usa-shooting-texas-idUSKBN0NP01G20150504

I'm fairly certain that almost everyone in America, Australia etc. believes that free speech includes the right to speak incendiary and provocative words without the consequence of violence. However, Gellers, Wilders and others put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with. Like it or not, people aren't going to rush to their side. But that doesn't mean their detractors are anti free speech or anti freedom.

Well I think that is sad. Even if the WBC was attacked, I would still stand by their right to protest(now I find their picketing of funerals and specific people to be harassment). I think it's imperative we all band together for our rights, it doesn't matter if we agree on what we say, but that we agree on fundamental values that we must all uphold together. I can't think of an event that should be more upheld, it was a private event that you had to buy tickets for.
It's a sad day when we fail to support unpopular speech in the wake of an attempted attack. You can support the event for its fundamental right to exist without supporting the message.

Just because someone has the right to say what they want doesn't mean they are not despicable human beings operating on a lower plane of consciousness. Hate begets hate. You may have the freedom to say anything you want, but realize it is that very hate you are spewing that is hindering your own evolution as a human being. JMO

That does sound like victim bashing.

It isn't as if they were saying "Burn this b*tch down" or screaming "Kill ____s" now is it?

Inciting violence via free speech IS ILLEGAL yet plenty are doing it on the streets these days and no charges are being filed.

From presser:

Officer Joe Harn

Garland ISD had concerns months ago based on the type of event and the speakers.

Event organizers paid an additional $10k for security.

The suspects had asault rifles and started shooting at Garland office and GISD security officer.

Garland office returned fire, killing both men.

Several detonations occurred. No bombs found in the vehicle.

FBI forensics and Garland forensics still working.

Officer hurt was treated and released.

Just because someone has the right to say what they want doesn't mean they are not despicable human beings operating on a lower plane of consciousness. Hate begets hate. You may have the freedom to say anything you want, but realize it is that very hate you are spewing that is hindering your own evolution as a human being. JMO

People who are spewing bullets at innocent people are despicable human beings operating on a lower plane of consciousness, IMO. They are hindering their own evolution as human beings. Their hate begets hate.

People who are peacefully expressing their political, personal or religious views do not deserve to be shot or blown up. They are behaving like civilized people and are using peaceful and civilized methods to express their disagreement with the views of others.

Lol, of course they did. The event was put on by a hate group. It is going to attract all kinds of racist white nationalist types.

LOL is right. White nationalists? You apparently read/post on numerous sites to use that lingo, that term is used by white nationalists to self-identify, not used by their opponents. :)

It isn't as if they were saying "Burn this b*tch down" or screaming "Kill ____s" now is it?

Inciting violence via free speech IS ILLEGAL yet plenty are doing it on the streets these days and no charges are being filed.

It shocks me to the core to read some of the comments on social media and learn how willing and eager so many people are to support those who commit violence and to condemn those who peacefully express their views. There's lots of victim bashing going on.

The organization Gellar runs promotes hate. She has every right to run such an organization and say whatever she pleases, but those of us operating on a higher plane of consciousness have every right to disregard that thought process and see it for what it is.

I find it so alarming that one of these men was known to the government and still was able to carry out a plan like this.

Taking questions...

Not releasing names right now.

Not going to be a real fast investigation.

Have not officially labeled as terrorist attack.

Not sure when the suspects arrived in Texas. Luggage in the car with additional ammo.

Most attendees do not even live in Garland.

People who are spewing bullets at innocent people are despicable human beings operating on a lower plane of consciousness, IMO. They are hindering their own evolution as human beings. Their hate begets hate.

People who are peacefully expressing their political, personal or religious views do not deserve to be shot or blown up. They are behaving like civilized people and are using peaceful and civilized methods to express their disagreement with the views of others.

I agree.

From this link:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/04/police-shooting-at-muhammad-cartoon-contest-in-texas/

When a Chicago-based nonprofit held a January fundraiser in Garland designed to help Muslims combat negative depictions of their faith, Geller spearheaded about 1,000 picketers at the event. One chanted: "Go back to your own countries! We don't want you here!" Others held signs with messages such as, "Insult those who behead others," an apparent reference to recent beheadings by the militant group Islamic State.

Contrast that with gunmen bringing guns and grenades and attempting to kill innocent people.

Who are the real evil ones? Who are the real haters? IMO, it's the ones who attempt to kill innocent people. Not the ones who are peacefully engaging in time-honored traditions of picketing and drawing political cartoons.

The organization Gellar runs promotes hate. She has every right to run such an organization and say whatever she pleases, but those of us operating on a higher plane of consciousness have every right to disregard that thought process and see it for what it is.

Yes, and you have every right to disregard what she says, and think it's stupid and ridiculous. But we should all support her right to say what she wishes, and we should stand with her and there should be no blame placed on her for the actions of others.

I learned along time ago, no one can make me feel a certain way or do something. No one has control over my actions but myself. Verbal provocation is simply an excuse to justify behavior.

Another man detained but determined not to be part of it and was released.

Suspects possibly wearing body armor.

Police officer did hell of a job considering he only had his service pistol against two men with assault rifles. He saved a lot of lives.

LOL is right. White nationalists? You apparently read/post on numerous sites to use that lingo, that term is used by white nationalists to self-identify, not used by their opponents. :)

Um, since when is white nationalist not a derogatory term? OT but still....

Yes, and you have every right to disregard what she says, and think it's stupid and ridiculous. But we should all support her right to say what she wishes, and we should stand with her and there should be no blame placed on her for the actions of others.

I learned along time ago, no one can make me feel a certain way or do something. No one has control over my actions but myself. Verbal provocation is simply an excuse to justify behavior.

BBM
I agree. We should all support her right to say whatever she wants. But no, we don't have to stand with her and the message she espouses.

Simpson was convicted in 2010 of lying to federal agents about plans to travel to Africa in an apparent attempt to join a terror group in Somalia. The judge ruled there was insufficient evident to link Simpson to “international terrorism,” and placed him on three years’ probation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-fire-outside-prophet-muhammad-cartoon-show/

Seems they couldn't tie him to international terrorism then so I doubt they will tie him to plain old terrorism now. jmo

BBM
I agree. We should all support her right to say whatever she wants. But no, we don't have to stand with her and the message she espouses.

Frankly, she has made it very clear that she does not espouse the message that people should be shot, blown up, thrown off buildings, beheaded, or burned alive because of their religious beliefs. In fact, she speaks out loudly and vociferously against those who do espouse that message.

I like to believe that I operate on a higher plane of consciousness than those who think it's just and right to burn, behead and blow up people for their religious views. In that respect, I stand with Pam Geller and her group.

I find it very disturbing that a terrorist act like this can take place on American soil. I find it even more disturbing that the first reaction of so many people is to condemn the speech they disagree with rather than the acts of violence against innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea