Recovered/Located CA - Cecil Knutson (dec'd), Dianna Bedwell (inj'd), Valley Ctr, 10 May 2015

I can't believe they drove that far out. That seems really, really strange to me...thinking of Dianna and her family.

Very sad that Mr. Knutson did not make it but amazing that Bedwell was still alive. I cannot imagine she would have been much longer.

The sales pitch:
[respectfully abridged]

Now the fine print:

Blue Link Connected Care includes 1 year of the Blue Link Connected Care Package and requires an active Blue Link subscription. One-year term starts from the new vehicle date of first use and is available for new vehicle purchases and leases based upon terms and conditions on the Blue Link subscription enrollment pages. Only use Blue Link and corresponding devices when safe to do so. Cellular and GPS coverage is required. Blue Link is available on most new Hyundai vehicles. Features, specifications, and fees vary by subscription plan and are subject to change.

I believe it was their daughter who stated early on, that Blue-Link was pretty much just a glorified cell phone. No cell signal, no help.

Informative, valuable post. Thank you for it!

Understanding how cell phones work has been central to this case. I think that one of the big takeaways from the case is that we sleuthers need to be better at draw inferences about cell phone related information. I'd urge you all to keep an eye out for WS members on other threads who seem to have some expertise in the field, suck up to them, and try to pull them in when we get another case like this.

Informative, valuable post. Thank you for it!

Understanding how cell phones work has been central to this case. I think that one of the big takeaways from the case is that we sleuthers need to be better at draw inferences about cell phone related information. I'd urge you all to keep an eye out for WS members on other threads who seem to have some expertise in the field, suck up to them, and try to pull them in when we get another case like this.

Sounds a bit transactional, Forager, like at a bank or something. Most WSers are happy to help if they have time as that's WSers do normally. This place is different, you'll see. I take your point though that better consideration of how cell towers work always helps.

Very sad that Mr. Knutson did not make it but amazing that Bedwell was still alive. I cannot imagine she would have been much longer.

*nod* Amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/ssrlv

Schoepe Scout Reservation at Lost Valley facebook.

To summarize:

The unmaintained ATV road is incorrectly labeled on some maps as a short cut from Highway 79
through the reservation and Schoepe.
The facebook page said at no time were they on Lost Valley property.

To summarize:

The unmaintained ATV road is incorrectly labeled on some maps as a short cut from Highway 79

The should let the map services know, feedback never hurts on mislabeled roads or mistakes. I don't trust GPS programs for tricky trip directions, too many bad experiences, always hard copies printed out of from better sources.

To summarize:

Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous. This cost someone their life. -temper tantrum-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so heartbreaking. The PI says they were only about 2 miles from that scout camp.

Even if no people were at the camp at the time (I don't know), it may have had water or shelter, don't you think? So tragic.

Interesting video at the link showing the car and how it was stuck, and the PI peering inside the car.

Are there any updates on Dianna Bedwell's condition? I hope she can make a full recovery.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/29174089/exclusive-retracing-route-taken-by-missing-couple

EXCLUSIVE: Retracing route taken by missing couple
Marcella Lee, CBS News 8, May 27, '15 11:14 pm edt reports in a detailed, moving and thorough broadcast that

Private Investigator Bill Garcia navigated through the challenging terrain, lined with rocks, boulders and overgrown brush.

Garcia reached a hill so steep he was forced to walk down the rest of the way, and at the bottom of the hill is where the couple's Hyundai Sonata was found.

The car was found nose down in the dirt with the wheels buried in the ground...

...With the vehicle they had they could not climb out, and once the rains started, it made it impossible,"

Heads-up, Forager: Ms. Lee's report shows a completely different location nowhere near the address of the road given in previous reports. They must have taken the road past the hills? The CBS 8 News map link below:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6AhGHH0Vx_o.kIAq49DD5q2Y&usp=sharing

~ * ~

Diabetic Woman Miraculously Survives 2 Weeks in California Desert, Husband Dies
By Christine Pelisek, People Mag., 5/27/15, 6:00 pm edt

"She is in stable condition," Victoria Sanchez, a private investigator working with the family, tells PEOPLE. "She was treated for dehydration and was actually able to talk to her son the same day. She is one tough cookie."

[...]

"If they stayed on the road and didn't turn off they would have ended up at a private camp that caters to camping organizations," he says. "At least there would have been buildings or shelter. It is tragic."

[...]

~ * ~

Missing couple found in remote area; husband dead
by Roadrunner Staff, Valley Road Runner, May 27, 15

Missing California Couple Found after 2 Weeks; Husband Dead, Wife Dehydrated
Post on weather.com about 25 minutes ago

by AP, May 26, 15, 5:42 pm edt, includes Ms. Demartino's previously posted report,

EXCLUSIVE: Retracing route taken by missing couple
Marcella Lee, CBS News 8, May 27, '15 11:14 pm edt reports in a detailed, moving and thorough broadcast that

Private Investigator Bill Garcia navigated through the challenging terrain, lined with rocks, boulders and overgrown brush.

Garcia reached a hill so steep he was forced to walk down the rest of the way, and at the bottom of the hill is where the couple's Hyundai Sonata was found... .
[respectfully abridged by Forager]

It's time to eat a little crow. That good CBS8.com story that FindHG linked includes a Google map that shows the actual last leg of the route taken by the couple, and the location at which they were finally found. That location, which I take to be correct, is off of Camino St. Ignacio Rd., about eight miles from the location I had initially and INCORRECTLY mapped. I've now added the correct route and location of the discovery:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z_XRj_yu3Dto.khuzU1KdCXHY

I've also left the original, incorrect marker on the map, now in green and labeled "Incorrect location: Couple Found, Chihuahua Valley Rd". The incorrect mapping had been based on earlier reports by several MSM sources which cited a 5/24/15 San Diego County Sheriff's Department report of a location off of "the 3100 block of Chihuahua road".

The OC Register had earlier published a story with a correct report of the approximate location of the discovery off of Camino St. Ignacio Rd. I had mapped it as an 'alternative report'. MS member Callyn and argued for the Camino St. Ignacio Rd. location, and I remember replying to her that that was wrong. But Callyn had been right all along.

I should note, finally, that Team Amber had mounted searches in the approximate area in which the car was actually discovered. Their theories of where to look weren't quite right, but were far closer than most of our on-thread hypotheses.

Here's my map of what I think may have happened. I think they turned onto Camino San Ignacio instead of making the left curve to stay on 79. I'm going to try to post a map. Keeping fingers crossed ;)
View attachment 75199View attachment 75200
This is south of Chihuahua Valley road, because of the left turning of 79 I feel its the most likely spot they got confused. They may have been in really bad shape by then, at least whoever was driving.

Finally, I'm vindicated! ;) Sorry for quoting myself here, but don't know how to link back to post. I immediately upon reading about this thought this is what had happened. By putting myself in their place, after a long day and Mr Knutson probably being like my father in looking for shortcuts (and not always using the best judgement), this seemed the most likely path they took.

Such a sad end for a lovely adventurous man. I am praying for strength for Dianna and a full recovery.

It's time to eat a little crow. That good CBS8.com story that FindHG linked includes a Google map that shows the actual last leg of the route taken by the couple, and the location at which they were finally found. That location, which I take to be correct, is off of Camino St. Ignacio Rd., about eight miles from the location I had initially and INCORRECTLY mapped. I've now added the correct route and location of the discovery:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z_XRj_yu3Dto.khuzU1KdCXHY

I've also left the original, incorrect marker on the map, now in green and labeled "Incorrect location: Couple Found, Chihuahua Valley Rd". The incorrect mapping had been based on earlier reports by several MSM sources which cited a 5/24/15 San Diego County Sheriff's Department report of a location off of "the 3100 block of Chihuahua road".

The OC Register had earlier published a story with a correct report of the approximate location of the discovery off of Camino St. Ignacio Rd. I had mapped it as an 'alternative report'. MS member Callyn and argued for the Camino St. Ignacio Rd. location, and I remember replying to her that that was wrong. But Callyn had been right all along.

I should note, finally, that Team Amber had mounted searches in the approximate area in which the car was actually discovered. Their theories of where to look weren't quite right, but were far closer then any of our on-thread hypotheses.

Thanks forager. It is good for my old brain to try to figure things like this out and you made me really think and exercise the brain cells.

Thanks forager. It is good for my old brain to try to figure things like this out and you made me really think and exercise the brain cells.

The maps do help us as we bat ideas around, I like to think. Thanks for being so gracious now, and earlier when I getting it wrong!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ives-two-week-desert-ordeal-on-pie-rainwater/

This was posted Thursday but it's the same info we know. That she is "stable".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this piece, Tssiemer. It does seem even more amazing that she survived the more information about conditions where they were emerges.

Morning Mix
Elderly diabetic woman survives two-week desert ordeal on pie, rainwater

By Sarah Larimer, The Washington Post, May 28

[...]

"located in the wilderness, where the days are extremely hot and the nights turn cold."

[...]

"After they were found, the couple’s son, Robert Acosta, told Fox affiliate KTTV:

“There’s no doubt in my mind that my dad kept my mom alive.”"

Perceived thoughts, real or imagined, about Financial Gain, through the situation of Paul and Dianna, is the Root of the issue, In My Opinion...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back