SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't seem to be much of a loner. He had family and friends that he saw frequently. His roommate said he had been planning this for the last 6 months.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-closer-alleged-gunman-dylann-roof/story?id=31865375

No one called him out on his plans or reported them to the police likely because they thought he was joking. This area of the country is extremely racist. His talk didn't bother anyone in his circle of friends and family because it's common to hear people talk that way in most communities in South Carolina. I lived in Texas for four years and heard that kind of talk regularly. I couldn't move out of there fast enough.

Its not that every person in these conservative areas is a raving racist. Not all of them are. But racist language and talk is tolerated by most everyone native to these areas. No one thinks its a big deal. You hear it standing behind people in line at retail outlets in Florida resort towns, everywhere in the south.

Those folks have to realize that's not normal and its not acceptable. 90% of the people in the US don't behave or talk that way. People are wrong for saying those things. And people who stand around and tolerate it, make excuses for it and spread it on tv are wrong as well.

This guy didn't do anything that a million other racists and bigots in the US haven't thought or joked about doing. It's time to stand up to them, humiliate them publicly for their offensive opinions and sick beliefs. We wouldn't tolerate a pedophile discussing his beliefs in public, there's no reason to tolerate racists, either.

I agree and am ashamed at myself. When racist jokes or comments are made at my workplace, I simply change the subject or pretend I did not hear.

It makes me feel bad that I do not say "Oh, yeah? Well, that is offensive to me and please stop!", but I am in such a huge minority politically and socially that I know nothing I say will do more than cost me my job. And possibly harm my family.

My husband got NRA stickers pasted all over his new car at his place of work. Only because he spoke out about how, after Sandy Hook, our daughter's school had become a fortress and how sad it was that we treat the wound but not the cause.

Those stickers ruined the paint job on his car. But, yeah, 'Murrica. It's okay to destroy the property of people who do not share your narrow, racist and hurtful views. In fact it was a huge laugh-party. They call my husband "Sunshine" and make a limp wrist at him.

Because we voted for Obama.

But we have 4 more years in this awful place then we can move.

Now, I AM taking a break.

Folks, this is obviously a horrible travesty and crime against innocent people by a mixed up young man.

Yes, by all accounts this is racially motivated, but please think before you post and choose your words carefully.

Also, please don't bring his mother into this, she must be in complete shock and is considered a victim here on Websleuths.

This thread will not turn into a debate about gun laws, so don't go there.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

bumping

I have lived all over, too. But I honestly have to say where I live now (not Charleston) is the most racist place I have ever lived. When people start a conversation with "Well I am not a racist, but ....." you can rest assured what follows is assuredly racist. And then some jokes about Obama and monkeys. For real.

I never experienced that in Charleston proper. In fact, it was one of the most lovely,gracious and racially harmonious places I have lived.

I know that the surrounding towns and counties have some issues, but the people of Charleston, black and white and every shade between are some of the loveliest folks ever and they would be excellent examples for cities eveywhere on how to just "be", "live" and enjoy life.

I am horrified not just that this act of terrorism happened in the Holy City of my ancestors, but that the good name of Charleston might be associated with some who came from Columbia anyway.

The VICTIMS were Charlestonians. The murderer was NOT.

God bless the victims, their families and the good people of Charleston.

I agree about Charleston.

I wasn't implying that the killer was from here but I would have expected more anger and division in the place where this tragedy actually happened, yet after being around a melting pot of people in the wake of this, I haven't seen it at all. None. So it's quite discouraging to see it on a website.

Even still, I'm inclined to give the people of Columbia some credit and trust that they aren't all a bunch of backwoods racist because this man comes from there.

Anybody willing to do that " is part of the problem"

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

CH0i2pIW8AA0JIp.jpg

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 4m4 minutes ago

#DylannRoof booked into county jail at 7:28pm EDT. #CharlestonShooting

:cursing:

Cripes! No sleeping tonight! I feel like a little kid worrying about the boogey man under he bed. Well, folks, there he is.

I agree and am ashamed at myself. When racist jokes or comments are made at my workplace, I simply change the subject or pretend I did not hear.

It makes me feel bad that I do not say "Oh, yeah? Well, that is offensive to me and please stop!", but I am in such a huge minority politically and socially that I know nothing I say will do more than cost me my job. And possibly harm my family.

My husband got NRA stickers pasted all over his new car at his place of work. Only because he spoke out about how, after Sandy Hook, our daughter's school had become a fortress and how sad it was that we treat the wound but not the cause.

Those stickers ruined the paint job on his car. But, yeah, 'Murrica. It's okay to destroy the property of people who do not share your narrow, racist and hurtful views. In fact it was a huge laugh-party. They call my husband "Sunshine" and make a limp wrist at him.

Because we voted for Obama.

But we have 4 more years in this awful place then we can move.

Now, I AM taking a break.

Way to go! I am thankful for people like you. Little by little and then hopefully more and more, people will get it.

Early on the thread someone repeatedly tried to portray the shooter as non white -- as darker skinned and/or hispanic. (Same poster initially suggested that ISIS or some 'Black Liberation Movement' was behind the guy in the armored car firing away at the police station in Texas -- when the reality was pretty much the opposite.)

I saw that. Anything to make the brown people criminal and the white people victims.

SHAKING MY DAMN HEAD. (Because an acronym is just not enough for this level of utter crap)

Well, quite a few were elderly.

And some were using their bodies to shelter other people.

Just typing that reinforces how horrific this attack was.

How. Very. Awful. Can't hardly wrap my brain around what must have happened.

-Roof was essentially homeless. He had no fixed address, and moved from place to place.

-
School records show that between fourth and ninth grade, Roof attended six different schools, and repeated the ninth grade.

-In the image, Roof had the same stained sweatshirt he wore while playing Xbox video games in their home recently, Konzny said. It was stained because he had worked at a landscaping and pest control business, she said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-shooting-suspect-idd-as-dylann-storm-roof-21/

Joseph Meek Jr. told The Associated Press on Thursday at his home in Lexington, South Carolina, that 21-year-old Dylann Roof had reconnected with him a few weeks ago. The two had been best friends in middle school but lost touch when Roof moved away about five years ago.

Meek says that Roof's racial comments came completely out of the blue and that his friend had been nothing like that before he moved away.

Meek says he could tell something was troubling his friend recently, but he wasn't able to find out what was bothering him before the shooting.

So for god sake if this kid was basically homeless and couch surfing what Parent in their right mind would give him a gun. There was a reason he was not under a Parental roof. A reason he was not allowed to remove the gun. Until they did allow it and then hid it.

Just curious how Dylann had time to reload his gun 5 times without some of the victims running away or tackling him. But, I know next to nothing about .45 guns.

You do realize that folks praying in a church are ALL unarmed..likely froze and actually do not possess such reactions like you suggest expected..The only survivor was a child who had the presence of mind to PLAY DEAD..ONLY reason she survived.......He ( D) was on a mission which he planned to do..and killed innocent non-armed Black folk in their Bible Study inside of their CHURCH!!

Folks like this are NOT adversary nor even of the mindset to go for the juglar mindset....It's seemingly obvious..You have no understanding of these FOLKS at all!! IMO

It's been also mentioned that he was being council ( by Pastor) and was the Only reaction was to try and talk HIM OUT OF his mission ( after an hour of sitting amongst his victims!!)...His answer was NO.."I have to do this"..My question is why?/ Because his mission was to kill what was somehow embedded into his head ( nurtured by God Knows Who) to kill of those Black folk because they are taking over their Country!!!

Hummmmmm..Wonder where/when he got that Ideology??

I have lived in Texas for 76 years & I have heard & witnessed plenty of racial remarks. You can't very well separate yourself from racists when you work with them & we all have to make a living some way. There is no arguing with them because they are ignorant & will not listen to reason. I will be the first to say that not ALL Texas are racists but there are way too many for this day & age. The Civil War has been over for 150 years, the south got their a$$$ "whupped" so I say get over it! As long as we deny that we have racial problems, we are part of the problem. I thank God every day that my parents were NOT racists & didn't influence me to become one.

My parents are closet racists but I chose not to be one. I have only lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Tennessee. There are racists in each of these states. I have also met racists in Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, California, Arizona and many other states. I still have chosen not to be one. This guy may be one or he could have just been going for the biggest attention getting action he could think to do in Charleston. His actions lead me personally to the death penalty. What he thought may be wrong and crazy, racist, and misogynistic. I still punish based on actions.

Panic. Wonder how many were shot in the back as they might have tried to escape during reloading. Do these cuts use clips. If so, that's a quick reload.

Brings more tears to my eyes. This murderous monster-coward wanted sitting ducks to target. Not anyone who might fight back.

I agree about Charleston.

I wasn't implying that the killer was from here but I would have expected more anger and division in the place where this tragedy actually happened, yet after being around a melting pot of people in the wake of this, I haven't seen it at all. None. So it's quite discouraging to see it on a website.

Even still, I'm inclined to give the people of Columbia some credit and trust that they aren't all a bunch of backwoods racist because this man comes from there.

Anybody willing to do that " is part is the problem"

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

I realize you were not painting Charlestonians with a broad brush! I appreciate your post.

And I did not mean to denigrate Columbians, or for that matter, any other municipality. My point was that the deeds of this awful pile of excrement does not in any way reflect on Charleston.

The victims represent what Charleston is. Good. Thoughtful. Accepting. Tolerant. Cosmopolitan. Forward-thinking.

I liked your post and agree that we cannot judge a whole city/town/region based on the actions of a few. You are so very right!!!! Geez, if people judged me because of what it is like where I live, I would want to die. I am nothing like these people!

But I did want to make it clear that racist murder boy was NOT a Charlestonian.

Do you think it would have made any difference?

Absolutely it would have made a difference. No gun, no crime. This little punk couldn't have killed someone without a gun, if his life depended on it. If you have a gun, you can kill lots of people, no matter how weak you are, or how big a coward you are.

Just a few points. Feel free to disagree.

1. I don't even look at this tragedy as black and white. I see some murderous, cold blooded, evil killer. Would it really matter if he was black and killed blacks, or white and killed white? We get too caught up in all that. Evil has no color.

2. Racist attitudes hold no boundaries. I disagree when people align a particular area, like the South, or wherever. There is nothing magical about state lines. People make their own decisions on their attitudes through their upbringing, and it has nothing to do with where they live.

3. I know everyone wants to know why and where this killer got his ideas. I don't know that there is a straight answer to that question. This savage was obviously mentally ill, and I don't know how can come up with a rational explanation to such in irrational act. It would be like trying to come up with a rational way to explain Charlie Manson or John Wayne Gacy. I put this psychopath in the same category.

I don't understand this comment, as I have some tough young ladies-to-be in my life.

Try raising three sons in today's time when they may get recess once every two weeks and PE twice a week for thirty minutes. Then the teachers wonder why the boys cannot sit still from 8:15 am until 3:15pm. And they want you to sit them down and make them do their homework right when they walk in the house.

It is hard to stay calm when nine people died at the hands of a self-proclaimed racist murderer and yet people look to excuse the killer or will bring up black people who have killed white people.

Because apparently the victims are not what matters here. It's "but, but, but, black people kill, too".

Shame on you. Nine people were MURDERED by some gun-loving a$$hole. He killed them while they prayed. And said he did it because he wanted to kill black people.

But, yeah, it's the same as Trayvon, Freddy or Walter.

I think I need to walk away now. Stinks to high heaven.

Bravo, you have my respect. I admire your ability to stay calm and stay here.

You either value ALL life or you do not. If you value some lives, you don't really value life. I think most of us on ws are here because we value ALL lives across the globe , every single life!
Eta , not directed at you , just jumping off your post.

Just a few points. Feel free to disagree.

1. I don't even look at this tragedy as black and white. I see some murderous, cold blooded, evil killer. Would it really matter if he was black and killed blacks, or white and killed white? We get too caught up in all that. Evil has no color.

2. Racist attitudes hold no boundaries. I disagree when people align a particular area, like the South, or wherever. There is nothing magical about state lines. People make their own decisions on their attitudes through their upbringing, and it has nothing to do with where they live.

3. I know everyone wants to know why and where this killer got his ideas. I don't know that there is a straight answer to that question. This savage was obviously mentally ill, and I don't know how can come up with a rational explanation to such in irrational act. It would be like trying to come up with a rational way to explain Charlie Manson or John Wayne Gacy. I put this psychopath in the same category.

Respectfully, the murderer himself said he wanted to kill black people. And LE is calling it a hate crime.

So there is for sure a racial aspect to this mass murder.

However, I do get your point.

Racism is taught

Re We hear it at family gatherings, see it on tv, hear it on the radio.

I have never heard a racist comment growing up from any member of my family -- ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675