OR OR - Alissa McCrann, 37, Tigard, 19 Dec 2015

I really appreciate the update by the people running the Find Alissa page - it was calm, concise and while a little resigned to the grim facts, full of good intent and consideration of Alissa's family and friends. Unlike many FB pages of missing people, this one doesn't seemed bogged down by conflicting information, too many admins, conspiracy theorists etc.
I'm glad to hear that the police and searchers are treating the sighting as credible. I think it gives us all a starting point and perhaps a reason to reject some of our worst imaginings of dumped cars and abductions...
I wish we had better timeframe information as I'm leaning towards as shortcut taken in failing light leading to getting lost/injured somewhere off-track :( I am sad to say that I don't think we are going to have a good outcome at the end of this one, but I hope her loved ones get news and some kind of peace soon.

I was on Alissa's dragonboat team a few years ago and remember her well. I am very upset about this and hope and pray she is found. I'm so sorry for her son and the rest of her family and friends. She is a very nice woman.

I'm very sad to come back after two days and see that she still hasn't been found. I fear the worst by now.

It was said above searches can only continue when some of the snow has melted. But surely this won't be for weeks/months? I mean, winter has only just started.

What a heartbreaking situation for the family. I feel for them.

Hikers think they saw her miles, I believe 3 miles was mentioned, away from the falls. Is this a typical distance she would hike? 3 miles each way, 6 miles? I am not a hiker but I have walked several miles on the beach not even realizing how far I had gone because of the beautiful scenery that you see along the way.

I don't know about Portland hiking, but here in Colorado my husband and I can easily hike 3 miles one way, then 3 miles back. We are hikers.
IMOO.

I'm very sad to come back after two days and see that she still hasn't been found. I fear the worst by now.

It was said above searches can only continue when some of the snow has melted. But surely this won't be for weeks/months? I mean, winter has only just started.

What a heartbreaking situation for the family. I feel for them.

I'm going to go out on a limb, so locals can feel free to correct me, and say that having this much snow at 3100 feet in that area is unusual. This year Portland is being hit lots of moisture, so that helps explain the added snow at that elevation. It gets cold in the Columbia Gorge. It's likely to melt back quickly though because it's not a super cold area like eastern Oregon where snow stays on the ground a long time. So the searchers will be able to get back out there pretty soon (weeks rather than months at most) assuming no more snow falls, and that's hard to predict.

The waiting is unbelievably stressful for Alissa's family and friends. Hugs to them all.

Did anyone find her Instagram page? Astar1997?

I'm going to go out on a limb, so locals can feel free to correct me, and say that having this much snow at 3100 feet in that area is unusual. This year Portland is being hit lots of moisture, so that helps explain the added snow at that elevation. It gets cold in the Columbia Gorge. It's likely to melt back quickly though because it's not a super cold area like eastern Oregon where snow stays on the ground a long time. So the searchers will be able to get back out there pretty soon (weeks rather than months at most) assuming no more snow falls, and that's hard to predict.

The waiting is unbelievably stressful for Alissa's family and friends. Hugs to them all.

BBM Being a local, I would say it's unusual, to the point where I question if it's accurate reporting. But then again, I just checked Mt Hood Meadows ski area and at the base of the mountain they have 83 inches of snow, so maybe it's possible. But it also shows they've only had 8 inches of snow in the last 72 hours. But it's different sides of the mountain, which can make a big difference in weather patterns and snow accumulation.

In the KGW video, it says there is a foot of snow on the trails, they show video which one assumes is some searchers out on the trail and then some guy is interviewed saying there could be a foot of new snow each day.

Anyway, from account of the hikers on the trail I would guess that Alissa went running down the trail, lost her footing somehow (ice or loose gravel), and went tumbling off the trail.

So sad for Alissa and her family and friends. I hope she is found soon so they can bring her home.

http://onlineraceresults.com/race/v...ubmit_action=select_result&re_NO=6387#racetop

Alissa participated in the 8k Portland Shamrock Run on March 15, 2015.

Her time was 1:00:42, and her pace was 12:13

8K or a little less than 5 miles. I used to do a lot of running (I've since switched to cycling and swimming) and ran 5K's and 10K's, but I only ran one 8K. I was in my early 30's and I ran it btw 35 and 36 minutes. A person who runs it in an hour goes out for a run that morning and then runs on the trail in the afternoon would make me question whether she actually ran on the trail that afternoon. (I believe the witnesses stated, per the media, that she was trail running as opposed to hiking or walking.) Of course, if she did she increases her chance of pulling or tearing a muscle. Fatigue also increases one's chance of doing something that would cause another injury such as a sprained ankle or a fall.

Here are some great pictures of that loop. The person posting said it took him 4.5 hours.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18378

I hiked all the gorge trails many times. The ascent is steep, so it is slower. We would often times run down the trails on the way down as it was easier on the knees to move faster. We all hurt ourselves at one time or another by doing this.

I can imagine Alissa was chilly and tired which, of course, is when we can make the most mistakes.

The snow stays at the top portion of most of those trails through the winter. So we would do the lower trails during the winter months.

SAR there are amazing. They have rescued and found so many people who try and make "short cuts" or go unprepared and find themselves in the dark. There is no navigating those trails obviously in the dark. They are wonderful and I'm sure they have gone above and beyond to try and find her. It is really heart breaking.

Are there bears in the area? Could she have gotten attacked by one? And why do u think she had that interaction with the couple? (Saying she was going to run to keep warm). Feel so sorry for her and her family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.kgw.com/news/missing-portland-woman-sought-by-police/7342607

In this video around the 1 minute 49 second mark, the reporter said that Alissa's dad said that the couple told Alissa to head back down and they would follow, they said she did and she told the couple that she would start running to keep warm and they didn't see her again.

So if she slipped and fell, she must have somehow ended up off-trail otherwise this couple would have passed her on their way down.

Why did they tell her to head back down, were they concerned for some reason?

So if she slipped and fell, she must have somehow ended up off-trail otherwise this couple would have passed her on their way down.

Why did they tell her to head back down, were they concerned for some reason?

IIRC These people saw her around 3:00 p.m. so she would need to start back to avoid hiking at dusk IMO. For some reason, she must have appeared to need their advice...perhaps because she was poorly dressed for the cold and without water. I still find that surprising as she seems more experienced than that. I agree that she probably slipped off the trail. :( Or, perhaps she did make it all the way down the trail and something happened before she reached her car. I think a trail accident is more likely though. It's heartbreaking.

I wonder how far this woman was found, was from the reported sighting?

A post from the 27th on the FindAlissa facebook has a summary of what the family/friends seem to know up until that point. It says the reported sighting is "several miles" from Multnomah falls.

http://katu.com/news/local/womans-body-found-in-hood-river

Praying this is not Alissa but it's so awful for it to be anyone. Hood River is a little over 30 mins from Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

From that article:

With four inches of snow in the area, officers quickly found a trail of fresh blood that led them to a woman's body about a quarter mile from a parking lot in the area.

I don't think this is her, but my heart goes out to the family of whoever it is :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back