Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
P. 96-97.

OK, the first time I flat out disagree with JM, though I acknowledge the chutzpah of that.

He believes that they made a sex video that day, and that her pressing about the sex pics was to find out if the video had been recovered.

Unless.....she had insisted on a video and during it one of them said something that would prove she'd made up the whole riding hood thing, which would expose her spliced tapes and texts sent to herself. Why else would she care?

I don't know if this is news to WSers, but JM describes some more Gus Searcy sleaziness. The evidentiary hearing for the DT's first (?) accusation of prosecutorial misconduct relied on GS's testimony that Chris Hughes (and presumably therefore JM through Chris?) had tried to sway his testimony. Before the hearing, DT refused to tell JM exactly what his misconduct was and what witnesses they would use. But, GS being GS, he had bragged to others before the hearing that his damning testimony "would change the course of the trial." JM learned about this and his claims about Chris, allowing him to call CH to testify. And . . . it was quickly dismissed by Stephens.

I don't understand Juan telling NG that the 3rd gas can is the big secret he's been keeping for the last 4 years... Supposed to be the "untold story" no one ever knew according to his DP interview... Huh? That was in the trial, right? We've discussed it endlessly here on WS, right? Color me confused.

The way I understand what JM is saying about the third gas can is that its purchase caused him to look further into all the killer's purchases, i.e., closer scrutiny was given to all sales receipts recovered from the search warrant on (I believe) the grandparents' home. IOW, discovery of Killer's purchase of that third gas can was instrumental in piecing things together for premeditation to murder. Instead of the third gas can being the bombshell, it was the thing that led to the discovery of several other bombshells. That's how I am hearing what JM said about the gas can. So I guess I have to call this MOO.

The way I understand what JM is saying about the third gas can is that its purchase caused him to look further into all the killer's purchases, i.e., closer scrutiny was given to all sales receipts recovered from the search warrant on (I believe) the grandparents' home. IOW, discovery of Killer's purchase of that third gas can was instrumental in piecing things together for premeditation to murder. Instead of the third gas can being the bombshell, it was the thing that led to the discovery of several other bombshells. That's how I am hearing what JM said about the gas can. So I guess I have to call this MOO.

I think you're right.

The cops knocked on her gparents door in the AM after watching her pack to flee until about midnight the night before.

They told her they needed to speak to her about the robbery, the theft of her grandpa's gun, and asked her to step outside. She stepped outside and bam- the handcuffs went right on and she was arrested.

The last moments of her life she'll ever be free, spent being conned by cops using her fake burglary lies against her.....
Thanks H4M for this. The beginning of her end.

Reading the book. I agree with Juan that Arias' attempts to invent complicated lies about when the pics taken were "wholly implausible". This relates to the memory card nonsense after dismissing her other silly suggestions. It always smazed me that some people explored these lies in great detail because that was here exact intention. To divert, distort, place doubt when the facts suggested none.

I'm making myself slow down. I've been a speed reader since I was a kid. I'm already half way through chapter 3 and I've taken notes on pretty much every page.

The book is GREAT.

For the speed reader, it is going to be traumatic. The audible wants to enunciate for effect to a limited degree so... ah well.

FYI, I agree people, JM has such more interesting methods in which he expresses himself - he paints a background from Day 1 at the crime scene. There is less vulgarity, less hostility, more notable intelligence than a certain 'author.' I shouldn't knock Nurmi for writing the book though... his tidbits were less edited (for sure, huh?) and probably resemble Arias better...

Am up to chapter 19 and must say that I am now thoroughly convinced that Nurmi's strategy from the beginning of the trial was to subtly destroy JA (or get even with her for all of the grief she caused him) through his actions/non-actions of her defense, most notably, NOT questioning Daryl Brewer about the loan of the gas cans! He had to have understood the damage JM did to DB on cross and yet on re-direct, Nurmi didn't even broach the subject or try to do damage control. I really think that his strategy and writing the book is his way of saying a big FU to JA! JMHO

Whoot! :happydance: It's 7:38 and my book is finally in my hands! Off to read for a bit.

That light has to be from a window and not a light because of the way it streaks across the floor. That streak doesn't even look like it's from an overhead light, especially if the light was fluorescent or not rectangular. In a bathroom, especially in a newish house, lit by an overhead light, I think you'd see more diffuse brightness.

Travis is still alive in that photo? He's not totally dead-weight yet?

I wonder if there's any evidence that Jodi worked out a lot in the months preceding the murder? The lie about the sensei and that she'd quit MA was to cover up the fact that she'd been practicing up?

BBM - No evidence per se, though I recall back at the beginning of the first trial some of JA's supporters had been boasting about how she had worked at getting into shape in April/May 2008, now we know she had been bikini shopping(allegedly after the murder). Perhaps her "old" bikini was one of the items she had asked the LE about getting back from TA's? I'd like to know just what clothing items of hers were ever found still there(Cancun appropriate?). I'm hoping to find answers for these kind of questions as I read the book.

That light has to be from a window and not a light because of the way it streaks across the floor. That streak doesn't even look like it's from an overhead light, especially if the light was fluorescent or not rectangular. In a bathroom, especially in a newish house, lit by an overhead light, I think you'd see more diffuse brightness.

Travis is still alive in that photo? He's not totally dead-weight yet?

I wonder if there's any evidence that Jodi worked out a lot in the months preceding the murder? The lie about the sensei and that she'd quit MA was to cover up the fact that she'd been practicing up?

Travis had two lights in the hallway, one about centered and one in front of the closet (sorry for the graphic nature but it's the only one I have that shows both lights):

hallway4.jpg

It is looking less likely those pics were taken so late in the afternoon.

And yes, I believe because his head is lifted that he's still fighting for his life.

The letter she sent to TA's family was sent directly to his grandmother. She wrote it from jail but listed her return address as that of her parents instead.

I think he was already going to have the investigators check into the route she took from Yreka to Az. That is usually SOP when it comes to murder investigations like this.

I think what Juan meant by the 'four years' of not telling is he held this particular evidence close to his vest without the defense knowing it for that long. He could do that legally because in all trials the Judge will finally set a firm date that all discovery must be turned over to the defense and its usually 30 days before trial. So he knew he had a long time to keep the gas can evidence to himself and LE.

I think he is telling the readers he didn't turn it in until he was legally bound to do so which shows he is a very savvy Prosecutor. I have always read that the Prosecutor will try to hold his/her best evidence close to the vest as long as they possibly can, and I think that was what he did with the gas can evidence.

He was masterful in the way he laid out his case. I even think it was meant for Juan to be the Prosecutor on this case even though he was not obliged to take the call when it came in about Travis' murder. I think this one will stay with him the rest of his life. Not only the psychopath defendant he had to deal with for years but the way Travis was so viciously and cruelly murdered three times over.

The gas can receipts themselves showed such planning and premeditation along with all the other voluminous amount of evidence also supporting premeditation.

I love reading the excerpts provided by our posters. My book wont be here until Thursday.

IMO

Is anyone still waiting to get a book delivery today?

Please let me know if there's still interest in having tidbits posted. I'm happy to do that, but will otherwise just go immerse myself in the book....

I just found something on twitter. It's a tweet from CMJA about Juan and his book.https://t.co/UQsc0ByEY8 They say she had someone post this comment: "A reality check is in order as Juan begins peddling his book making appearances & patting himself on the back 4 a job well done?" Sure sounds like something she would say.

Troy Hayden is airing his interview with Juan tonight on Phoenix 10 Live tonight. They are at PV prison. Something I just learned from that same site on youtube, Troy had his first news cast job in Yreka, Ca. Who would have guessed. It's on the youtube video about Troy and his being a child star and how he met his wife. Truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Do you suppose the monster knew about this and that is why she kept giving him special interviews?

She wasn't fired from Mimi's over muffins, but for "unpleasantness and service issues."

High grades and honor classes grades 9 and 10; 11th grade earned D's and F's and moved out of the house to grandparents.

Is anyone still waiting to get a book delivery today?

Please let me know if there's still interest in having tidbits posted. I'm happy to do that, but will otherwise just go immerse myself in the book....

I'm not getting the book, so I'd appreciate any tidbits you can share. :)

Travis had two lights in the hallway, one about centered and one in front of the closet (sorry for the graphic nature but it's the only one I have that shows both lights):

View attachment 89221

It is looking less likely those pics were taken so late in the afternoon.

And yes, I believe because his head is lifted that he's still fighting for his life.

Does this pic show the lighting any better? IMO, it looks as though she may have had shoes on with socks over them??

12715323_820034128142993_6538839557651291789_n.jpg

This is something to ponder Geevee.

11053220_10208323886872474_8517086749121174979_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics