Identified! PA - Delaware Co, Ridley Creek State Park, WhtFem 25-45, UP14642, rings w/initials, Jan'16 - Name Withheld

She [Siobhan Hameline] is off NamUs now, great! Looks like they acted pretty quickly once they knew about it. :)

Yes! You, Kaylara Owl, and CC82 (IIRC) have moved the ball in the real world beyond the thread.

Such distinct rings, three of them, and no ID yet?

Has anyone submitted any of our possibles?

I haven't, buy then I haven't come up with any candidates myself, and don't have enough experience with this kind of thing to pass judgement on the suggestions made by others on the thread.

If anyone wants to review the various candidate missing persons mentioned on the thread, I have tried to include them all in the thread's case map: Ridley Creek PA Thread Map.

I'm new to this kind of case, but would have thought that it would be a good thing if someone among us were to send a note to the case's investigators in PA to let them know that we have a thread going on the topic. It couldn't hurt, and some of the thinking on the thread might help the investigators in theirs. At least they'll know that they have an audience.

Glad someone started a thread for this case. I've been interested in it since it was first reported on my local news. My family and I used to visit Ridley Creek often when we lived in Delaware County, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Here are my thoughts on this case:

Were any abandoned vehicles found in or around the park around the estimated time of the UID's death? From what I remember, the park isn't easy to get to by public transit or by walking. I was thinking it is possible the UID drove to the park and was going for a walk/jog, then died of natural causes.

Ridley Creek State Park always seemed like more of a local park to me. I don't know if people who aren't from the area know of it. If the UID's body was taken there, the person involved is probably from the local area. (I could be wrong, of course).

I get the feeling that this may be someone who has not been reported missing. At first I thought that Kortne Stouffer could be a match, as some of you have suggested earlier in the thread. But, the height and circumstances don't fit. Kortne went missing in the summer. This UID appears to have died during the winter months.

Whoever this might be, I hope it is solved soon.

Glad someone started a thread for this case. I've been interested in it since it was first reported on my local news. My family and I used to visit Ridley Creek often when we lived in Delaware County, so I'm somewhat familiar with it... . < abridged respectfully, for focus >

I get the feeling that this may be someone who has not been reported missing... . < abridged >

Whoever this might be, I hope it is solved soon.

Good point. It's hard to finish a puzzle when pieces are missing. Does anyone have a good read on what the relative proportions are among:

- The number of people "missing" overall.
- The number of them who are reported to local authorities.
- The number of the ones who are ultimately reported to NamUs.
- The number of ones that NamUs can confirm and post publicly.

I'd guess the proportions as 80% reported locally vs 65% who are reported to NamUs vs. 60% that are posted publicly by NamUs. (That is 60 out of 100 get reported all the way up the chain.) Those are my own, doubtless plenty wrong, seat of the pants guesstimates.

Here's what NamUs site has to say on the subject: "Cases of missing persons 18 years old and younger must be reported, but reporting adult missing persons cases is voluntary. Only a handful of States have laws that require law enforcement agencies to prepare missing person reports on adults. Overall, there is a low rate of reporting these cases through NCIC."

Some of you clearly have a fair amount of experience with this subject. I'd love to hear your estimates.

Good point. It's hard to finish a puzzle when pieces are missing. Does anyone have a good read on what the relative proportions are among:

- The number of people "missing" overall.
- The number of them who are reported to local authorities.
- The number of the ones who are ultimately reported to NamUs.
- The number of ones that NamUs can confirm and post publicly.

I'd guess the proportions as 80% reported locally vs 65% who are reported to NamUs vs. 60% that are posted publicly by NamUs. (That is 60 out of 100 get reported all the way up the chain.) Those are my own, doubtless plenty wrong, seat of the pants guesstimates.

Here's what NamUs site has to say on the subject: "Cases of missing persons 18 years old and younger must be reported, but reporting adult missing persons cases is voluntary. Only a handful of States have laws that require law enforcement agencies to prepare missing person reports on adults. Overall, there is a low rate of reporting these cases through NCIC."

Some of you clearly have a fair amount of experience with this subject. I'd love to hear your estimates.

I honestly do not think we can even estimate because not everyone is online that can say LE refused to take an MP report. I know of a few people trying to get one for older cases where LE will not take it. There are also newer cases where LE won't. Then you have people killed by domestic violence where the "partner" tells people the person left. With another set that are missing where they do not have anyone that knows they are.

A friend in LE told me once that about 90% of missing people return within a week and most of the rest within a year. Fewer than 1% become long term missing. In our area of about 50K people, there are normally 4 to 10 missing people reported in a week, more around holidays and at the end of school terms. He thought we probably had about 15 open cases that were more or less active. Only three of those are in the state database and none in the national. None in any missing persons sites. He thought a dozen or so cold case disappearances.

If our rate is typical--which I have no way of knowing--that would be around 2000 open and maybe 1700 cold cases for the entire state, for 3700 total.

Namus shows 103 cases from Massachusetts. I think that's around 2%-3% of my guesstimate.

But that's only a guesstimate and that doesn't include people who were never reported missing, people whose reports were refused, and all the other if's that Roselvr mentioned.

I guess the only answer is, it's a big, big number.

A friend in LE told me once that about 90% of missing people return within a week and most of the rest within a year. Fewer than 1% become long term missing. In our area of about 50K people, there are normally 4 to 10 missing people reported in a week, more around holidays and at the end of school terms. He thought we probably had about 15 open cases that were more or less active. Only three of those are in the state database and none in the national. None in any missing persons sites. He thought a dozen or so cold case disappearances.

If our rate is typical--which I have no way of knowing--that would be around 2000 open and maybe 1700 cold cases for the entire state, for 3700 total.

Namus shows 103 cases from Massachusetts. I think that's around 2%-3% of my guesstimate.

But that's only a guesstimate and that doesn't include people who were never reported missing, people whose reports were refused, and all the other if's that Roselvr mentioned.

I guess the only answer is, it's a big, big number.

Wow... . Great post. Still absorbing it. I had no idea.

The top ring is 14K gold and I agree the initial is a C, as my daughter has initialed jewelry with that script. What struck me was that these rings would seem to be worn/owned by someone older than 20? The Claddagh ring with the emerald colored stone looks like a nice ring. These rings have value, so I hope someone will recognize them.

It looks like 10 karat to me.

Sorry, not sure if this has been said or allowed but reading through comments on the news page someone said the ring looked like a "J" with a leaf at the end of it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Am I the only one that is seeing Jo?

Someone should call the police station and ask if the ring was photographed right side up. The solitude was photographed upside down. So until we know the engraved ring is facing the right way it is questionable. I am stead fast it is a C.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosebud79922
Back