GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

I just don't understand why there hasn't been an arrest yet, if indeed the LE knew where they were. This is the weirdest case (IMO). I mean, mow down two youths, hide the car, get a lawyer, go into hiding, is this the new blue print on how to get away with vehicular manslaughter. If this was DUI related, it's to late to prove now.

Or are they waiting until drugs can clear their system? How long does, for example; meth or heroin take to clear a bloodtest?

After catching up and reading everything about this case, I get the feeling that CHP does not know if the mother or boyfriend was driving. IIRC, the witness said a woman was driving (?), however, CHP must have a reason to question this. Also in their statement, CHP says this is a complex case.

What makes it a complex case? Is the boyfriend a lawyer in the partnership with the lawyer that MK has?

Why were these girls on skateboards at the time of night that they were? It's too late now to make a difference, but they had no business out on that road to begin with. MOO.

Is this going to be a case of "who you know and money talks"?

My opinions only.

After catching up and reading everything about this case, I get the feeling that CHP does not know if the mother or boyfriend was driving. IIRC, the witness said a woman was driving (?), however, CHP must have a reason to question this. Also in their statement, CHP says this is a complex case.

What makes it a complex case? Is the boyfriend a lawyer in the partnership with the lawyer that MK has?

Why were these girls on skateboards at the time of night that they were? It's too late now to make a difference, but they had no business out on that road to begin with. MOO.

My opinions only.

bbm

I am hoping the answer to that makes it into the MSM out of the blogs.

My opinions only.
BBM

I don't think the complexity has anything to do with connections or money. There have been some pretty connected people in Humboldt who have been prosecuted. But knowing lawyers shields them from having to talk to LE, which in itself makes the investigation complicated. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Regarding the girls skateboarding at that time of night, locals commented that it was more dusk than dark and the road was wide, open (rather than wooded) and straight and not heavily traveled. So locals said it wasn't as dangerous as it sounds. However, dusk is a very dangerous time and they were skateboarding toward oncoming "traffic". If the jeep didn't have its lights on and the driver was distracted or impaired, it would be a perfect storm. It doesn't sound like there was a parent at home to keep the girls from skateboarding, so kids on the loose do dumb things. That's being a kid. But an adult hitting and running is far different, especially when it's your own child.

I guess it's not legally possible for the ME/LE to refuse to release the body until mom (and boyfriend) come in for a chat with detectives (with or without an arrest).

It would be interesting to see if refusing to release the body would motivate them to come in for a chat. I wonder if the autopsy was done in Oakland where she died or in Humboldt county.

So who do we believe? LE, or a Criminal Defense Attorney who is notorious for spinning a certain perception of their client for the potential jury pool?

[FONT=&amp]On Wednesday, July 13th, Attorney Neal Sanders contacted your office on my and Ms. Kitchen’s behalf within 60 minutes of her return to Humboldt County from her daughters’ death bed in Oakland.

[/FONT]
Snipped from the link. I'm curious about that visit to Kiya. Who told Marcie she was airlifted to Oakland? How did she get there? Did she pretend not to know who hit the girls or what happened?

Personally, I believe LE.

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine that after she hid the Jeep, Marci could pretend she knew nothing when she was notified about Kiya's injuries. Kiya was taken to the hospital in Fortuna before being airlifted, so Marci would know she was taken to Oakland. Perhaps she rode with Kiya when she was airlifted or she and her boyfriend drove in another vehicle, about a five hour trip. Clearly, she contacted an attorney before she got back, while still in Oakland, if the attorney contacted CHP within an hour of her return to Humboldt,

Do we know which one was the girl the 911 caller was with? I mean if it was Kiya... and the Jeep stopped and the driver was who the police surmise it was, the mom... then she knew who she hit. Ugh I can't even word myself right, this is so horrible.

I believe Faith died in the road and Kiya was calling for help from the bushes. But Kiya's Mom knew both of them, so I can't imagine that she didn't know she had hit both girls. But stranger things have happened. It's unimaginable.

Or are they waiting until drugs can clear their system? How long does, for example; meth or heroin take to clear a bloodtest?

It varies, but usually by 7-10 days and often sooner. But they'll be taking hair samples in this case for sure, and drug testing the hair, so they'll still know if she's been using.

It varies, but usually by 7-10 days and often sooner. But they'll be taking hair samples in this case for sure, and drug testing the hair, so they'll still know if she's been using.

I also wonder where the Jeep was coming from (bar, party?) and if she was observed by witnesses to be impaired.

It would be interesting to see if refusing to release the body would motivate them to come in for a chat. I wonder if the autopsy was done in Oakland where she died or in Humboldt county.

Personally, I believe LE.

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine that after she hid the Jeep, Marci could pretend she knew nothing when she was notified about Kiya's injuries. Kiya was taken to the hospital in Fortuna before being airlifted, so Marci would know she was taken to Oakland. Perhaps she rode with Kiya when she was airlifted or she and her boyfriend drove in another vehicle, about a five hour trip. Clearly, she contacted an attorney before she got back, while still in Oakland, if the attorney contacted CHP within an hour of her return to Humboldt,

I believe Faith died in the road and Kiya was calling for help from the bushes. But Kiya's Mom knew both of them, so I can't imagine that she didn't know she had hit both girls. But stranger things have happened. It's unimaginable.

Kiya's autopsy was peformed in Oakland.

The Alameda County Coroner's Bureau confirmed today the death of Kiya Kitchen, the second of two 14-year-old victims to be identified in a hit-and-run incident in Fortuna.

http://www.times-standard.com/gener...na-hit-and-run-prime-suspect-remains-at-large

There is no legal basis whatsoever for her body not to be released, even if MK had been charged with a crime by then.

Refusing to release her body would have inflicted more cruel pain upon Kiya's father.

My opinions only.

I don't think the boyfriend is an attorney.

There is no one admitted to the California bar under his name.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov

There is a well-known attorney in Humboldt County who shares the last name; he is too old to be JP. Old enough to be his father, though, as the saying goes.

http://birth-records.mooseroots.com/d/b/Joshua-Pearlston

That attorney's bar listing shows him with a firm that is not Okin's.

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/54291

May be a case of "who you know" only in the sense of being represented by attorneys with a great amount of experience.

If they charge one person as the driver now and then come back later to charge a different person, imagine how that could play out in a courtroom.

"We're they wrong then, or are they wrong now."

Okin appears to be a master of reasonable doubt.

He's a former prosecutor in the Humboldt County DA's office. I wouldn't say that makes him buddy-buddy with prosecutors. I would say that it makes him highly knowledgeable of how things work from both sides.

After listening to the 911 call. The witness says "she" in regards to the driver of the jeep. So he saw Marcie, it at least was able to say it was a female driver. Did she get out of the vehicle, but left when he came upon the scene?

This case has enough unfortunate circumstances that it should hit prime time news programs like 60minutes. Why it hasn't is beyond me. I wonder if investigators can elect to turn it over to a higher up entity for investigation and prosecution. Everything seems to point to Marcia, I hate to think she could just lawyer up the right way and in effect buy her way out of a conviction.

Interesting semantics in the attorney's statement that his client is standing by to surrender...

While at first blush the press release and the letter seem in stark contrast, it could boil down to a matter of semantics and investigative tactics. It could be that CHP wants to question Kitchen and Pearlston in the case without affording them the constitutional protections an arrest would provide, and that Kitchen’s attorneys are saying she will not speak to investigators but is ready to surrender if they obtain an arrest warrant.

At the conclusion of the attorneys’ letter, they indicate their willingness to meet CHP investigators at the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office to discuss the case. They stop short, however, of offering their client up for questioning, saying only that she “remains willing to surrender herself to law enforcement immediately.”

BBM
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/NewsBlog/archives/2016/07/21/attorneys-fortuna-mom-standing-by-to-surrender-in-fatal-hit-and-run-case

Under the law, the mother and boyfriend don't have to speak to LE and aid them in their investigation. It's up to the state to gather enough information for an arrest. If she surrenders to be arrested, and LE hasn't finished their investigation, the clock starts ticking as I understand it and she could end up being released (that's probably what the attorney wants). So both LE and the attorneys are engaged in a public semantic dance.

Technically, the mother and boyfriend are within their rights. Morally and ethically...well that's a different matter. If I had been responsible for the deaths of my daughter and another girl I'd cooperate and take what was coming to me. But an attorney would strongly advise against that.

Ok, I get it now. Marcie won't speak to LE on advice of attorney. She is however willing to be arrested, make bail, and wait for her day in court. Guess the boyfriend's Dad advised her from the get go.

Wonder if she saw it was Faith and left the scene thinking Kiya would be at home. When she wasn't, she went back to the scene and that's how the police were able to know who she was and take her to the hospital.

Wonder if she saw it was Faith and left the scene thinking Kiya would be at home. When she wasn't, she went back to the scene and that's how the police were able to know who she was and take her to the hospital.

That's possible. But she still took the time to hide the jeep. Ugh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5Ws2Resolve
Back