GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

That's possible. But she still took the time to hide the jeep. Ugh.

Maybe her BF did it while she went back to the scene. If they don't talk, I guess we will never know.

Maybe her BF did it while she went back to the scene. If they don't talk, I guess we will never know.

Yes, it could be that her BF hid the jeep while she returned to the scene. I guess I'm wondering why she would go back to the scene on her own without being notified that her daughter had been injured. She didn't live close enough to know there had been an "incident." So it would seem weird to just show up. That would imply that she knew something happened and raise lots of questions. I don't recall reading anywhere (even in comments by insiders) how she found out about her daughter's injuries. This whole thing is so weird, I guess your guess is as good as mine! And you're right that we may never know.

Kiya's autopsy was peformed in Oakland.

http://www.times-standard.com/gener...na-hit-and-run-prime-suspect-remains-at-large

There is no legal basis whatsoever for her body not to be released, even if MK had been charged with a crime by then.

Refusing to release her body would have inflicted more cruel pain upon Kiya's father.

I didn't think it was legally possible to do this, but it would be an "interesting ploy" IF Kiya's father would be agreeable to it (very doubtful, tho).

IMO, the behaviors (legal posturing) of mom and boyfriend are inflicting even more pain on the families of both victims.

There's a video in this KIEM story that I can't play on my iPad. Can someone watch it and give a summary please. Supposedly it clears up some confusion. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1632429610406553&id=1609256332723881

According to the attached story from the link above, the CHP first made contact with the mom and boyfriend at the scene of the accident but haven't spoken to her since. I'm wondering how they were notified to come to the scene. Perhaps the video clears that up.

http://kiem-tv.com/video/chp-continues-search-fortuna-hit-and-run-suspect

There's a video in this KIEM story that I can't play on my iPad. Can someone watch it and give a summary please. Supposedly it clears up some confusion. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1632429610406553&id=1609256332723881

According to the attached story from the link above, the CHP first made contact with the mom and boyfriend at the scene of the accident but haven't spoken to her since. I'm wondering how they were notified to come to the scene. Perhaps the video clears that up.

http://kiem-tv.com/video/chp-continues-search-fortuna-hit-and-run-suspect

I watched the video and didn't hear anything of importance that wasn't in the story. The sentence about contact at the scene is exactly the same as what's written: Ms. Kitchen and Mr. Pearlston were contacted at the scene of the collision the night that it occurred. However the CHP has not had direct contact with them since the night of the collision

Would the police call a parent and ask them to come to the scene of an accident where a child is injured? I would think they would call and tell them what hospital to go to. Would the police call a suspected hit-and-run driver and ask them to come to the scene of the accident? I'd think they'd go to them and/or interview them in the police station. Which makes me think that mom came back to the scene on her own volition.

This story is tragic.

I watched the video and didn't hear anything of importance that wasn't in the story. The sentence about contact at the scene is exactly the same as what's written: Ms. Kitchen and Mr. Pearlston were contacted at the scene of the collision the night that it occurred. However the CHP has not had direct contact with them since the night of the collision

Would the police call a parent and ask them to come to the scene of an accident where a child is injured? I would think they would call and tell them what hospital to go to. Would the police call a suspected hit-and-run driver and ask them to come to the scene of the accident? I'd think they'd go to them and/or interview them in the police station. Which makes me think that mom came back to the scene on her own volition.

This story is tragic.

Thanks for posting about the video I couldn't see, radiator. I think you're right that they came back to the scene on their own volition, now that I think about it. I wonder if, after hiding the jeep, they drove in bf's vehicle as if they were going somewhere or even just looking for the girls and "happened upon" the accident. And then came the Oscar-worthy performance..."Oh noooooooo, that's my daughter and Faith. It was getting dark and we were worried and came looking for them. My baby!! Is she OK? What about Faith? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!"

You couldn't write a story this tragic. :(

Obviously, the contact with Ms Kitchen & Mr Pearlston at the scene didn't involve either of them admitting to being the driver of the vehicle that injured & killed the two young victims.

* I was posting about the same time as Lilibet who said it much better !

Obviously, the contact with Ms Kitchen & Mr Pearlston at the scene didn't involve either of them admitting to being the driver of the vehicle that injured & killed the two young victims.

* I was posting about the same time as Lilibet who said it much better !

Ha! You're succinct. I'm dramatic. Something for everyone. :)

This mother must be a very cold bloodied murderer!

How in the world could ANY mother stop at the time of the accident, even for just a few seconds, and drive off? How could this mother return to the scene and see that she had hit her own daughter along with killing her friend?

I would be hysterical when stopping and seeing it was my daughters' friend. My thoughts would immediately wonder if my daughter was with her? It is beyond any thought I could ever have of leaving a person known to me lying in the road! Then, to return to discover my own daughter is critically injured, How can any mother compose herself when she is to blame for killing one girl and critically injuring her own daughter who later dies.

Alcohol may numb you, but does it take away real emotions too? If mom rode on the flight that air lifted daughter, you know those nurses are witness's to moms condition.

Thanks for the giggle 😊

I'm unclear on something, and don't want to be graphic sorry. But is Kiya's body still at the coroner's office or a funeral home? The memorial service on July 31st, is almost three weeks after she passed. Are they waiting for Mom to come home?

As for the contact at the scene, I don't know what to make of that. My Mama brain can't compute that level of deception. I don't understand why she won't come home, and in the presence of her attorney speak to the CHP. If even to have her attorney say don't answer that, for any question they ask. It would seem more honorable than hiding out.

Do any of you think she is in a treatment facility? Mental health, or substance abuse?

Thanks for the giggle 

I'm unclear on something, and don't want to be graphic sorry. But is Kiya's body still at the coroner's office or a funeral home? The memorial service on July 31st, is almost three weeks after she passed. Are they waiting for Mom to come home?

As for the contact at the scene, I don't know what to make of that. My Mama brain can't compute that level of deception. I don't understand why she won't come home, and in the presence of her attorney speak to the CHP. If even to have her attorney say don't answer that, for any question they ask. It would seem more honorable than hiding out.

Do any of you think she is in a treatment facility? Mental health, or substance abuse?

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure we've been told where Kiya is. I could have missed that info though. Since her mother is not mentioned in the obituary as a survivor, I doubt they are waiting for her to come home. It seems that her Dad is the one having the memorial service. I honestly can't imagine that Kiya's mother would be welcome but that's JMO.

I agree that the least she could do is speak to the CHP with her attorney present and advising her. She is under no obligation to incriminate herself. It's always up to the state to gather enough evidence to make an arrest. A suspect doesn't have to help. But in this case, involving my own daighter, I'd be honest and take whatever punishment is meted out. Her attorney is very good at getting reduced or no sentences, even for repeat offenders and hit-and-run. :mad:

http://www.eurekacriminaldefenselawyer.com/Case-Results.aspx

I hadn't thought about her being in a treatment facility of some kind. It's certainly a possibility.

I debated posting this link because technically it's a blog, not MSM. However, John Chiv is highly respected for his daily and dedicated court reporting in Humboldt county. Since there isn't much in the way of what we would call MSM there, sources like Kym Kemp's site, Lost Coast Outpost, Mad River Union, Northcoast Journal and John Chiv have, of necessity, been viewed as MSM on other threads (most recently the trial of Gary Lee Bullock for the murder of beloved local priest Fr. Freed). Without their contributions, coverage of local news can be pretty sparse. This paragraph is mainly in case a mod wonders about this link. :)

In the link Chiv lists Marci Kitchen's four previous traffic citations for speeding. News of her ex's court request is part of the article, but not really relevant here IMO.

http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2016/07/joe-kitchen-filed-dv-prevention-order.html

This is just tragic - I guess the brother of Kiya won't be going back to Mom's anytime soon. Sounds like Dad is trying to prevent that just in case she is still out on the streets. No pun intended - I meant out of jail.

The filing and the timing of the request for a DV order is interesting, IMO. Perhaps the most interesting thing will be MK's response.

She will have the opportunity to answer any allegations laid out in the request.

Or to no-show at a hearing, leaving "her side" of whatever is alleged in the request unconsidered.

She may also elect to invoke the Fifth Amendment regarding any allegations in the request for the order.

It is possible that JK may have filed the request on the behalf of a minor child for the protection of that minor child.

What is alleged in the request may have something to do with, or include, the July 13 event, or it may not.

Ball is in the court of MK and her attorney(s). We'll see how they play it.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=06001-07000&file=6200-6219

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htm

I don't know how court is in that county. I live in Santa Clara county. Slightly O/t but my step kids mom has used this tactic with all of her baby daddies upon split because your case then ends up in a separate family court that focuses on DV. It is a preemptive strike. Although in this case I don't blame him for doing what he has to.

Interesting, thank you for posting.

The DV order filed by Dad. I'm confused. The divorce filing says "minor child", as in a single child. So I assume Kiya's brother is either a step son, or a legal adult? Kiya is no longer with us, so why file the DV order?

Interesting, thank you for posting.

The DV order filed by Dad. I'm confused. The divorce filing says "minor child", as in a single child. So I assume Kiya's brother is either a step son, or a legal adult? Kiya is no longer with us, so why file the DV order?

As my late, very wise mother used to say about situations she couldn't understand..."There must be a reason." :) But seriously, I imagine there is something being lost in translation that would explain it.

I'm more interested in the Chiv report that the mother has multiple citations for speeding. Since no one gets caught every time they speed, that indicates to me that speeding is a habit. Add to that the fact that her attorney is really good at getting people off with multiple citations (for various crimes) or a reduced sentence AND he has a couple of hit-and-run victories under his belt...I can see why she hired him. I expect he came highly recommended by another attorney close to someone else involved in this case. Or else her attorney called her to offer his assistance. I can't imagine that she went leafing through the phone book or searching online. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby_Cluebie_Doo
Back