Found Deceased OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, everyone here on WS is amazing! I stumbled across this forum last week while looking for more information about Sierah and have been blown away by the smart, caring and dedicated individuals you all are!

I'm originally from an area very close to where this all happened and have known Sierah's family my entire life.The past week has been really hard for me to grasp and understand.(as it has for thousands of other people) I worked less than 10 miles from this monsters house and it's just sickening and scary to think about. You never expect something like this to happen in a small rural area, but yet unfortunately there are monsters everywhere hiding in plain site. As a new mom it's terrifying for me to think about the type of world we live in and that no one or no place is safe anymore. My heart hurts for all of Sierah's family and friends but especially her younger siblings who will never have a normal life. They will always be missing their big sister and looking over their shoulder, scared that another boogeyman could be near.

Sorry for such a long first post!

So my question and reason for posting is this:
Why is the punishment for abduction only 3-10 years? Is this a pretty common thing from state to state? I guess I just look at it as no good can come from an abduction case, whether it's related to custody issues, sexual purposes, or murder, why are these people not serving more time? Someone brought up the point that drug charges can get you more time than what this guy served. I'm just baffled by this. I believe that these types of crime should be on a registry of some sort for the public to see. Someone who is ballsy and sick enough to do something like this, whatever their intent is, should not be able to lurk in the shadows and possibly pounce again without the public being aware of what type of individual is living next door.

Again, sorry for the long first post!

:Welcome1: I could't agree more. 2-10 years sounds like an incredibly short period of time for abduction. Particularly for the "type" of abduction JDW committed in 1990. He could have killed that poor woman. He hit her bike with his moving vehicle, than hit her over the head! It sounds more like attempted murder to me.

Another thought...I read an article regarding the 1990 attempted abduction that said he stuck around the scene claiming she had rode her bike in front of him and he wanted to stay until the cops got there. ( can't find the link for it right now) That seems weird to me that he would stick around unless he was overly confident or cocky that he wouldn't get in trouble? Like that he had committed similar crimes in the past and had not gotten caught so he didn't feel threatened by it? It also made me start thinking that maybe the handcuffs used in 1990 were a new "technique" he was trying out and that's why she was able to get free. From a psychological stand point many people that abduct women have a control issue so the handcuffs could have been introduced into his method as just another form of control? Just a thought...

Thanx for the kind words, allseason25 and welcome to the Websleuths forum family.. The members of websleuths; a very well moderated forum with strict TOS rules, are an amazing group of sleuthers from all walks of life. Many are verified Professional Posters from virtually every field and others are members that have been affected by violent crime/s; abductions, rapes, homicides etc., either directly or indirectly, and are also members of the involuntary fraternity of the new life's normal, and are paying forward the support that they received when tragedy struck. Many of the WS members are family, friends, or loved ones of missing/murdered persons and are attempting to locate them or are seeking justice for them..

re: Why is the punishment for abduction only 3-10 years? Is this a pretty common thing from state to state?

Allseason25, although each state is different, punishment has become more severe over the years due to the diligent work nationally by John Walsh, Marc Klaas, Douglas and Mary Lyall, as well as many other parents of abduction victims and advocacy groups that have initiated new sentencing guidelines and Laws.
The problem in JDW's case is that his 1990 crime was committed prior to these new laws and guidelines..

:Welcome1: I could't agree more. 2-10 years sounds like an incredibly short period of time for abduction. Particularly for the "type" of abduction JDW committed in 1990. He could have killed that poor woman. He hit her bike with his moving vehicle, than hit her over the head! It sounds more like attempted murder to me.

LaborDayRN,
You bring up a great point -- I wonder if we could see if his original charges for the 1990 abduction were actually attempted murder (or whatever Ohio calls that) or maybe vehicular something, and he plead down somehow. I also wonder about his attorney for that case -- which I think would be the one he requested for this trial that "he can trust". Did THEY have a prior relationship (or his family) and the charges were downgraded at some point? Is there a way to see the original charges or arraignment proceedings to see?

Broken link from post 627 - fixed

Wow very similar indeed! I hope this woman hears about this case and if she recognizes him, comes forward. Where did this incident occur? How far from Delta?
---------------------------------------

About 60 miles, approx. 1 hour 9 minutes to drive. Depending where on 71.

c2971510fff5569d411a30a7290384ce.png

9951b1daeab2642246b9bc1fbdc565a9.png

Story reinserted to make sense for readers. News story from July 16, 1994.
The actual attempted abduction took place on a Thursday, July 14, 1994.
5caea9113a4b3aaf87599b4fe9ce7a0c.jpg

UPDATE: Revised after research, the victim BR in this case went to court against the suspect. After researching more I feel this case has nothing to do with the current case. Very similar circumstances of JDW case though.
4ae6aa6dcf5aa6b4fb0752c031ad080f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't convicted. The DNA didn't match. He took a lie detector test back then and again on Dr Phil and passed. They had him locked up and drug his name thru the mud for 2 years.

Another thought...I read an article regarding the 1990 attempted abduction that said he stuck around the scene claiming she had rode her bike in front of him and he wanted to stay until the cops got there. ( can't find the link for it right now) That seems weird to me that he would stick around unless he was overly confident or cocky that he wouldn't get in trouble? Like that he had committed similar crimes in the past and had not gotten caught so he didn't feel threatened by it? It also made me start thinking that maybe the handcuffs used in 1990 were a new "technique" he was trying out and that's why she was able to get free. From a psychological stand point many people that abduct women have a control issue so the handcuffs could have been introduced into his method as just another form of control? Just a thought...

IMO - He stayed because another person was there on the motorcycle and she was able to get away. If he would have left then the LE would have went to his house and maybe would have searched if they had a hunch of something.

IMO - He stayed because another person was there on the motorcycle and she was able to get away. If he would have left then the LE would have went to his house and maybe would have searched if they had a hunch of something.

Very plausible, CZL496.. I like the way you are thinking..

From what I heard he was driving a red landscaping truck. So I was thinking that it probably had a company name on it and that it would lead the police to him. Just my thoughts.

Agreed!

From what I heard he was driving a red landscaping truck. So I was thinking that it probably had a company name on it and that it would lead the police to him. Just my thoughts.

I'm not a vehicle person but views (google) of his house there has been a red truck there for several years. But it's more of a Chevy S10 not a bigger truck.

I agree, that makes sense. It also just makes me think too that if he was afraid of LE searching his house in 1990, what crimes was he already hiding at that point and how far back could they go?

I'm really sort of disappointed that Dewine showed up and started thumping his chest, apparently he tends to migrate wherever the news media is hanging out.

All that means to me is that we can expect a tight lid to be put on this case and to hear a lot of "No comment", "We're looking into that", "That information will be made available when the time is right", and " I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the case", ......etc.....etc......blah, blah, blah.

I imagine a gag order is going to be put in place by the judge, at Dewine's request as well as the defense team. I know when Dewine showed up the other day and was trolling around the scene, some people seemed pretty excited and energized by it. Of course his main focus was being present and not answering questions when the media showed up.

Keep in mind, this same scenario played itself out just recently when 8 family members were murdered in their sleep. Dewine showed up to "handle things" after those murders too. The media was shut out and kept in the dark as much as possible, but there were plenty of family members willing to conduct interviews with the MSM to the point that at least some of the information leaked out.

That case has gone flat, no suspect(s) arrested, and unsolved to this day.

The Toledo Blade has filed a motion against denying public access to all search warrants, affidavits, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Standard procedure..........it's a shame that any media outlet has to even ask for a request like that.......but keep in mind, everything is geared toward protecting Worley's rights, Sierah and her family just lost all of their rights to know anything or be told anything about what Worley did. Sad but true. Our legal system is flawed in many respects.......that's one of them.

LaborDayRN,
You bring up a great point -- I wonder if we could see if his original charges for the 1990 abduction were actually attempted murder (or whatever Ohio calls that) or maybe vehicular something, and he plead down somehow. I also wonder about his attorney for that case -- which I think would be the one he requested for this trial that "he can trust". Did THEY have a prior relationship (or his family) and the charges were downgraded at some point? Is there a way to see the original charges or arraignment proceedings to see?

Assuming the Blade checked the court documents:

Arrested 13 days later, Worley was indicted for kidnapping and two counts of felonious assault, but ultimately entered an Alford plea — not admitting guilt — to abduction. He was found guilty and sentenced to four to 10 years in prison. He entered prison in November, 1990, and was paroled in December, 1993.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...case-death-near-Swanton-in-1985-is-cited.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashmeoutside