GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been curious about CY from the beginning, because he hasn't publicly said a word about the crime one way or the other. He hasn't said, "My grandson would never do such a thing, he's basically a good person" or "He's been trouble for some time. I threw him out of my house and I hope he rots in jail." Nada, zip, zilch. He's a mystery man. Rumor has it that he's moved to the mainland.
Yes, indeed. We know that Steven had not told GF about pregnancy, at least I assume that is one part of SC's interview with MPD that was true. Steven said he was not ready to have that conversation, so I guess GF was not an anything goes type and Steven might have exacted a lecture or more.
Steven had a DUI, a murder cloud, a burglary charge, some deal with breaking into his mother's house and stealing, and he's not very solvent but renting the ohana cheap by Maui standards.

He sounds like a trying grandson. Plus the whole soulless narcissist thing.

http://mauinow.com/2016/07/29/capobianco-murder-trial-man-who-found-charlis-dog-testifies/

Thank you Wendy Osher and Maui Now.

"Young testified that Fiona Wais showed up at the location with an individual named Adam at around 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

“You can tell when a dog sees an owner and when it sees a friend. I could tell that the dog was going with someone who knows the owner and it was on its way home,” said Young.

After a brief line of questioning, the court excused Young and the prosecution called their next witness, Brooke Hailey Scott to the stand.

Brooke Scott is the older sister of Charli Scott, by a year and 10 months. She first came to know the defendant at Mana Foods in Pāʻia where they were both employed in different departments. Her sister, Charli, started working there a year after she started."
Boy, Mana Foods brings a lot of people into contact.
So the observation about Nala being glad to see his rescuers reminds me that Steven may have been concerned how Nala would greet him, depending on whether Nala saw him hurt Charli. In any case, Steven didn't test that one. He did take Zoe. How weird is it that he kills Charli and Joshua ruthlessly and then makes sure the dog is tended to ... No disconnect or guilt considering Zoe was likely to be anxious over the disappearance.

SC's face is breaking out pretty badly. I guess he's under a lot of stress.

Brooke on the other hand is GORGEOUS! Kim has like the best looking set of girls.

Pua, SC breaking into his mothers house? Can you elaborate?

thanks Nikki, can you see an actual witness list? I only found the list of subpoenas, and my eyes got tired scanning it, so must have missed his name. I am not sure whether a subpoena can force a witness to come from out of state. Anyone?
Glad you straightened out my error there quickly, sorry about that. :)

Where red can you find the list of subpoenas? Online?

Pua, SC breaking into his mothers house? Can you elaborate?
I wish, but it was part of the old FTL post, and that's all the detail other than he picks locks well and he hated his mother. She died circa 2012. I've seen pics of her; she looked pretty and lively and looked kind of Sandra Bullock and 40ish; her issues she supposedly had didn't show, and she had a nice smile. From New Jersey.

Where red can you find the list of subpoenas? Online?
Yes, the Ho'ohiki Judiciary site, and it used to be all clunky and crashed the search constantly, but it works great now. I'll find the link. Just put in Steven Capobianco and pick the last case in the list, with a 2016 case number.
the subpoenas are interspersed in the Document list with other court filings, one at a time.

EDIT LINK -- http://hoohiki.courts.hawaii.gov/#/search

Also when you are in the case you can select Print View and it expands to show everything, and at the bottom are court minutes for each day. Not a transcription, but a solid paragraph of who testified etc..

SC's face is breaking out pretty badly. I guess he's under a lot of stress.

Brooke on the other hand is GORGEOUS! Kim has like the best looking set of girls.
Yes, they are all so beautiful.

Maybe the non-organic prison food is not agreeing with Steven. Maybe greasy ...

I wish, but it was part of the old FTL post, and that's all the detail other than he picks locks well and he hated his mother. She died circa 2012. I've seen pics of her; she looked pretty and lively and looked kind of Sandra Bullock and 40ish; her issues she supposedly had didn't show, and she had a nice smile. From New Jersey.

Ah a Jersey girl. :)
That's where I'm at right now! Not the beaches of Hawaii for sure but still a great time. I'll look back at FTL's post. Thx

Thank you, Lila Fujimoto and Maui News.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...bes-initial-search-with-defendant.html?nav=10

"Brooke Scott said Capobianco told her that on the afternoon of Feb. 11, 2014, when he led her to the location near Mile Marker 20 where he said he last saw Carly "Charli" Scott two days earlier.
When Brooke Scott asked Capobianco what had been wrong with his truck, "he said that Charli had provided a jump with jumper cables to his truck and thereafter it worked," she said.
Later, in interviews with police, Capobianco said he fixed a loose battery on his truck before driving it back to Haiku, with Charli Scott following him in her vehicle the night of Feb. 9, 2014. He told police he lost sight of her headlights near Twin Falls."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testifying Friday in the 2nd Circuit Court trial, Brooke Scott said she last saw her sister the evening of Feb. 9, 2014, when they watched a movie with their half-sister Phaedra Wais and Brooke Scott's boyfriend at his residence on West Kuiaha Road in Haiku.
When Charli Scott left shortly after 8 p.m., she said she needed gas for her 1997 Toyota 4Runner but a gas station about five minutes away was closed, Brooke Scott recalled. She offered to check the property for fuel, but her sister said she thought she could make it back home.
"I said goodbye but then I hugged her," Brooke Scott said. "She kind of laughed at me because it wasn't super normal for me to hug her. She said, 'What are you doing?' I said, 'We're moms. We have to do this kind of stuff now.' ''
Brooke Scott said she also was pregnant with her first child and the sisters had grown closer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When she asked Capobianco how he had gotten back to Haiku from the area where he said his truck was stuck on Feb. 8, 2014, "he seemed to be thinking about it for a moment" before saying someone had picked him up, Scott said. When she asked him what kind of car had picked him up, "he appeared to be thinking . . . then he looked at my car and he said, 'Oh, it was just like your car,' '' Scott said.
She said the color of her car is a distinctive vibrant blue that she doesn't typically see on Maui.

She's doing a great job of blowing his fake story alibi away. Both B and K exposing his flat weird affect. It's chilling to hear how they each realized quickly that very likely this person they're talking to has at minimum harmed Charli and likely worse. And they're supposed to relate to him like they think he's a normal person.

The part where they turn in the right road as he is coming out, is one of the few lucky breaks the family got. It places him at the scene. Fifteen (or less) minutes difference and they may not have met up.

That phone app and its ping changed everything. Otherwise the Hana Highway is overwhelmingly huge for searching.

For some reason I am not comfortable sleuthing or discussing SC's mother. Perhaps because she is deceased and played no part in Charli's murder. Rough childhood or not, SC knew better and he was aware of the consequences of homicide, hence the question to the coworker.

But can we just agree to leave SC's parents out of our discussions? It feels wrong. Sorry.

Sidenote: Rivera prosecuting SC's mom 13 years earlier is pretty ironic.

She's doing a great job of blowing his fake story alibi away. Both B and K exposing his flat weird affect. It's chilling to hear how they each realized quickly that very likely this person they're talking to has at minimum harmed Charli and likely worse. And they're supposed to relate to him like they think he's a normal person.

The part where they turn in the right road as he is coming out, is one of the few lucky breaks the family got. It places him at the scene. Fifteen (or less) minutes difference and they may not have met up.

That phone app and its ping changed everything. Otherwise the Hana Highway is overwhelmingly huge for searching.

Spot on.

SC told 2 different stories as to what was wrong with his 4Runner, 3 different stories about where he last saw Charli's headlights, 3 different stories about how he got the marks on his hands, and although he claimed to not know about Charli's pregnancy until 1-2 months before the police interview, the Planned Parenthood visit and the "I thought she took care of it" testimony by Fiona clearly indicates that he did. And I really don't think anyone is buying his "I was warming up to the idea of having a child" story. We may hear some further testimony that blows that away, too.

I like how Brooke described how he made up the story about the type of car the person who picked him up (in his fake story) was driving. I can't imagine the horror that Charli's loved ones felt as reality was sinking in. Kim's statement that "he lied to my face" says it all. He lied to the family, he lied to the police, and had the arrogance to take a polygraph test...

I wonder who's up for Monday.

It's frustrating that he sits there with the answers locked up in his head. And it's unfair. I know life is not fair but why does he get to decide who lives and who dies? That's the hard pill for me to swallow, that he valued his life over someone else.

For some reason I am not comfortable sleuthing or discussing SC's mother. Perhaps because she is deceased and played no part in Charli's murder. Rough childhood or not, SC knew better and he was aware of the consequences of homicide, hence the question to the coworker.

But can we just agree to leave SC's parents out of our discussions? It feels wrong. Sorry.

Sidenote: Rivera prosecuting SC's mom 13 years earlier is pretty ironic.
I am not blaming his mother, but looking at what Steven's relationship with her was like, which is not the same thing. Both Kim and Brooke have made comments that Steven's relationship with his mother was key. As a student of psychoanalysis for many years, I can't help but be interested in that.

whether or not he understands the law, and the desirability of not getting caught, that quality called a conscience did not develop in this child. His only concern with right and wrong is that getting caught for doing wrong ruins his plans. Something made him that way. She seems like a fun person in her posts and maybe she just had a hard life as a single mom, or didn't have time for her baby, don't know. I suppose I'm interested because I was a young single mom too. Most moms don't intend to mess up their children. It just happens.

The testimony on Charli and Steven's relationship from her family is that she was motherly, caring, and nurturing towards him, and yet he was never affectionate, never helped around the house, And she was older. A few years is a lot when one is 20. It seems pretty obvious that he was reenacting and playing out a child-parent relationship with her. And somehow, some of that hate he felt for his neglectful mother (per Kim) attached itself to the good and nurturing Charli.

Look at his crime. He literally attacked and destroyed a maternal body and the male child growing in her womb, his child, a version of himself that he would not allow to come to fruition. A child who was to have a loving mother, and grandmother, and aunts, lots of maternal side love -- but no father, as he had no father in his life.

I just don't think it is possible to understand his rage without understanding his childhood, so I am interested in what I find. That said, I was in denial about family dynamics and psychoanalysis until my mid-thirties, so I do understand not believing in it or not caring. And it's a frightening world to scrutinize, very dark.

Spot on.

SC told 2 different stories as to what was wrong with his 4Runner, 3 different stories about where he last saw Charli's headlights, 3 different stories about how he got the marks on his hands, and although he claimed to not know about Charli's pregnancy until 1-2 months before the police interview, the Planned Parenthood visit and the "I thought she took care of it" testimony by Fiona clearly indicates that he did. And I really don't think anyone is buying his "I was warming up to the idea of having a child" story. We may hear some further testimony that blows that away, too.

I like how Brooke described how he made up the story about the type of car the person who picked him up (in his fake story) was driving. I can't imagine the horror that Charli's loved ones felt as reality was sinking in. Kim's statement that "he lied to my face" says it all. He lied to the family, he lied to the police, and had the arrogance to take a polygraph test...

I wonder who's up for Monday.
Great summary of all the discrepancies. Early on, I/we tried theories based on SC being an organized killer, which I guess came from the way this seemed premeditated, possibly for weeks. What is emerging is a fake story that was not fully conceptualized in advance, scattered incriminating evidence, failure to account for the smart phone, failure to think through dumping Nala in Nahiku, mistake after mistake. Coupled with arrogance.
It's almost like he can't understand that people can see through bad lies and inconsistency, like he's got some sort of invulnerability shield some of the time, while at other times he gets agitated. He seems to have no respect for the ability of others to gather up his variations of the story and notice that jumping a battery and reattaching the cables are not the same story, and yet he's supposedly mechanical.

It reads like a crime of impulse, done without a plan. And yet he drove her out that way against her will weeks before, and made various posts about murder, asked about murder.

And even if he had no plan, good grief, he didn't talk to anyone who mattered for two nights and a day after. He had time to pick a story and commit to it and all the details like how he got a ride home and from whom. It's not rocket science to know the proverbial ***** is hitting the fan soon and you need to be ready for it. But he was not ready.

Catching up from the week. So so so disappointed we did not get to hear any testimony last week. Especially Kim and Brooke. I also wanted to hear the female attorney.
Did Brooke have headphones on during her testimony? If so why? The Maui News pic looks like she has headphones on.

Catching up from the week. So so so disappointed we did not get to hear any testimony last week. Especially Kim and Brooke. I also wanted to hear the female attorney.
Did Brooke have headphones on during her testimony? If so why? The Maui News pic looks like she has headphones on.
I think she was listening to her testimony to police from two years ago, to refresh her memory, but that is just my impression from the article. Edit: and now I can't find what I thought I read, so I'm likely wrong, but I'll leave the post.

So with you on the disappointment.
I cannot find any video of Brooke. KHON didn't show anything in their video but a possibly old footage of Steven entering in his every day outfit, and stills of Brooke. I hope they get something Monday, if she is still on.
Yet there are hours of video of Loo saying yes sir no sir ... Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther