Trial - Ross Harris #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I did not watch all her testimony but what I saw was she was very talkative with the State and only said "yes" when answering the Defense. Who was she mad at? The Defense or Ross? Or did I miss something else?

I think she's still pissed at Ross and wants to get some vengeance IMO. By association she's also pissed at the defense team - plus, she's put out that they are daring to challenge her.

Oh, and one more thing: I cannot get over that LH asked JRH "Did you say to much?"

Like, what in the world is that supposed to mean, anyway? If this is an accident, there is nothing to hide, therefore, no worries about saying the wrong thing.

Don't get me wrong - if people demand a lawyer right away that is their right. But if LH had absolutely nothing to do with this (and to be clear, she has not been charged at all), why in the world would she care if JRH spoke to law enforcement?

Is it really so much to ask that people's behavior make sense even ONCE during this trial?

Of course he told 'the truth'---there is nothing for him to lie about other than him doing it unintentionally. That is the beauty of this kind of method to get rid of one's child---it is a tragic accident and the parent can just receive sympathy and go on with their lives.

And that kind of breathing sounds to me like the kind one does when very scared. I think he was upset and frightened for sure.

The thing about his emotions that bothers me is that , other then the first few minutes, he was not emotional and horribly sad about the baby. The detective asks him all kinds of questions about Cooper, and he answers them calmly without breaking down and falling apart. He chid died GRUESOME DEATH,just hours ago, and it was his fault, but he was able to carry on a conversation about what Cooper ate for breakfast, like it was a normal day.

His only child is dead, he's been in jail for two years, his wife divorced him, he is in the middle of a trial for pre-meditated murder, and every dark recess of his character is being publicly broadcast in detail - he has nothing, he has lost everything. Do you really see this as him receiving sympathy and going on with his life?

I think the po po had to have looked through his phone before they got a warrant.

They absolutely did. And said they did. And Staley said so too in her denial of the DT's motion to suppress evidence from the phone because (in part) they did.

Staley ruled that RH consented to LE searching his phone when they asked for his password and he didn't say no. That was within the first 15 minutes of his interview by Stoddard.

He was a dispatcher but was not a police officer. I think he is the type person who tries to make his job seem more important than it is. He kept agreeing with Stoddard like they were in the same line of business.
agree, there has been testimony to that fact (exaggerates)
IIRC Stoddard said during the filling out of the Miranda form to RH some about being a jailer. I heard RH say he was a dispatcher but don't remember anything about a jailer though. maybe I missed.

His only child is dead, he's been in jail for two years, his wife divorced him, he is in the middle of a trial for pre-meditated murder, and every dark recess of his character is being publicly broadcast in detail - he has nothing, he has lost everything. Do you really see this as him receiving sympathy and going on with his life?

When this first happened a account was set up for Ross and Leanna. An online petition was started to get Ross out of jail. It wasn't until the probable cause hearing that things turned south. Paypal refunded money to people, the petition disappeared. Note that I'm not commenting on the PC hearing, just that there was a lot of sympathy in the beginning for Ross and Leanna. No one, including Ross could have predicted that the public would turn against him. To the contrary, public sentiment was very much in his favor. Had he not been charged with murder he and Leanna would have continued to be viewed as tragic figures, with money pouring in to help them through their sorrow.

IMO Ross didn't forsee that his case would be different that many that came before it - IOW, that LE would decide to press charges.

When this first happened a account was set up for Ross and Leanna. An online petition was started to get Ross out of jail. It wasn't until the probable cause hearing that things turned south. Paypal refunded money to people, the petition disappeared. Note that I'm not commenting on the PC hearing, just that there was a lot of sympathy in the beginning for Ross and Leanna. No one, including Ross could have predicted that the public would turn against him. To the contrary, public sentiment was very much in his favor. Had he not been charged with murder he and Leanna would have continued to be viewed as tragic figures, with money pouring in to help them through their sorrow.

IMO Ross didn't forsee that his case would be different that many that came before it - IOW, that LE would decide to press charges.

But about half of all hot car deaths result in charges, even when it's accidental. I don't think anyone would expect to get sympathy for forgetting a toddler in a hot car until he dies.

Every bit brought on by his own actions. Whether pre meditated or severe neglect. His fault. No sympathy for him.
IF it was premeditated, this obviously was not the outcome he expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO, it didn't work out that way for him. But as he said to the detective, he had just seen a news report of a father who had accidentally left his child in the car. I wonder what happened in that case? Often the parents walk away with no charges.

This is kinda mean so I apologize in advance for being petty, BUT

I kind of want to slap that smirk off Jaynie's face. (I know, I am wrongfully making all kinds of judgments about her based on a few minutes of testimony)

Not only does that smirk get wiped off her face during cross, but, and perhaps not coincidentally, her constant sideways peeps over at RH cease as well.

Jaynie is very much not amused when Kilgore turns the Romeo and Juliette narrative inside out and has her reveal in her own voice, reading her own texts, that she was the one in angry pursuit of Ross, in her own special way, and that he was essentially done with her by the end of May. Not that they had ever hooked up. Not that he had ever stopped juggling online sexting partners, and not that he had ever indicated to her he was leaving Leanna. And not that she had ever indicated she was leaving her BF and new puppy. ;)

The video was just so bizarre to me! She was consoling him, he was blubbering, she said she told the police he wouldn't do this on purpose, he turns off the tears and says, "what did you say?" like he wanted specific details of what wording she used. He kept saying "all I can think about is that jail cell with the hard metal bed". Seriously? You just killed your child and you're worried about your comfort in the jail cell?!

Honestly, I've been in the guilty camp from the minute the case first broke as news, but lately I've been thinking maybe he was just preoccupied and "forgot". But the whole "all I can think about is jail" just rubbed me the wrong way! Years ago I accidentally injured my then 3 yr old. I rushed him to the ER and was fully prepared to accept whatever punishment was coming my way. I even asked the ER if they wanted to call the police! I don't understand a parent who has just killed their child worrying about himself...even for a minute.

Maybe he'd be more comfy in his own vehicle, crammed into that car seat, with windows rolled up, at 101 degrees.

I expected whatever emotion he expressed to be genuine. As in, something different than like he was putting on a one person play.

And if you see what I have said multiple times, I expected the video to harm the prosecution and make LE look really bad. But IMO, it didn't do either. I would never use a video like this as proof of premeditation. However, I do think the video supports the idea that Ross care more about himself than others. As I've said, I believe he is guilty of neglect, and behavior has nothing to do with that. LE statements have nothing to do with that. What has been proven, is that he was VERY preoccupied by women and sexting/texting. So preoccupied, Cooper was forgotten. That is neglect. I don't need a single word from LE to find him neglectful. Phone logs are enough.

I have no idea how I feel about the idea Ross planned this. I can't possibly decide that without both sides having presented. But I can say that I feel like he was not truly connected to his child, and he fake emotions after his death.

BBM

I feel the exact same way as you do. IMO the phone records establish criminal negligence well beyond a reasonable doubt. In a sense, everything else is just gravy on the phone records.

With respect to premeditation, I am not convinced either way yet. There are moments where I feel that his neglect was so prominent that it amounts to intent, but then my rational side returns. Severe neglect does not equal intent.

I agree,but who was it. They have already said he made 3 and who to. They have the phone records. They have video at the LAA. 2 calls to LAA 1 which is 6 min long. and the missed call to LH. He told LH he was calling her when LEO told him get off phone. Folgia is how allegedly told him get off phone. Very possible JMHO he could have been mumbling to self. Or they may have heard him speak when he connected with someone at the HD/LAA prior. I don't know the or order phone calls, I had thought LH was first.

We have already heard from Piper and Foglia. Stoddard is saying what he was told. Teacher Michelle Gray testified that they tried to say she was the one who took the call, and had some sort of relationship with RH. Wasn't Stoddard in court that day?

BBM

That's the million dollar question. Aside from the eyewitness testimony about Ross being on the phone, his records show a six minute call. Six minutes on hold under normal circumstances feels like a long time. Under the circumstances at the crime scene, it would have been an eternity. I believe that Ross did talk to someone while at the scene, but I have absolutely no theory as to the identity of the person on the other end of the line.

That's the point. LE was positively sure Ross was speaking to someone on the phone and thought that was terribly suspicious. He wasn't. They've tried and tried to make it so, including landing like a ton of bricks on Ms. Gray, but it wasn't so.

RH was holding the phone, screaming, probably muttering to himself- as that seems to be a habit anyway, in shock. Easy for a witness to make that mistake....but what witness could that be? IIRC, only one witness said she saw that, and LE didn't interview her for at least another year. Maybe LE just said it because they believed it to be true.

We don't know that he wasn't talking to anyone. No one has admitted to talking to him, but that doesn't make the call nonexistent. His phone records show a six minute call, and phone records don't lie. Within three hours of Ross discovering Cooper, Detective Stoddard was asking Ross about that phone call. I know that some believe that LE created a narrative after the fact, but the question about that phone call was posed to Ross shortly after the crime. I believe that call holds significance, but I just don't what it is. It doesn't make any sense.

intersting article about how charges are decide upon---

http://wiat.com/2014/06/21/hot-car-deaths-when-and-how-parents-are-charged/

Hot car deaths: when and how parents are charged

Once police wrap up their reports and interviews, it is up to them to decide whether or not a child being left in a vehicle is a gross deviation from the expected standard of care or a tragic accident.

“They’re tired, they’re in a hurry, they’re worried about losing their job, those are all considerations that go to what was the intent of this parent when they left their child in the car and the child died,” said Sloan.

Typically, when charges are filed; such an incident results in charges of manslaughter, child abuse or criminal negligence. Charges vary based on the intent of the person responsible for the child.

Other times, says Sloan, it could be a matter of prosecutors trying to send a message.

“There may be a reason to pursue these, perhaps more aggressively, than in other times because there have been a number others kinds of incidents and it’s important for people to understand you can’t do this.”

Sloan says unless the state legislature decides to pass a law, how and whether parents are charged will continue to be on a case-by-case-basis.

From above link:

The severity of the charges have sparked much debate on if and how parents in these situations should be charged. A petition has surfaced online to get the charges against Harris dropped.

44 children died as a result of being left in hot cars in 2013. Three of those deaths occurred in Alabama. An 11-month-old Homewood girl died after being left in her mother’s SUV outside their family nail spa in July 2013.

In late May 2014, Jefferson County District Attorney Brandon Falls decided not to file criminal charges. Stating that, “justice wouldn’t be service in possibly sending a grieving mother to prison.”

An Army sergeant from Anniston is awaiting her fate on charges of manslaughter. Katherine Papke discovered she’d left her young son in her minivan after spending several hours at work in August of 2013.

I've listened 7 times and still can't understand what receipt he threw away and they retrieved in the holding cell.

JRH going on with his life? I'm thinking about Cooper, who never had a chance to live a life at all because JRH shut him in a hot car for god only knows how many hours to die the most horrible death imaginable.

JRH had a good life he did not appreciate. He is a reasonably intelligent and articulate college degree holder who had a 60k a year job, he lived in a nice apartment, had a beautiful son, a wife who has the patience of Job, and he drove a late model car he didn't have to worry about breaking down and leaving him without a paycheck. Not everyone in a first world nation is as blessed and fortunate as JRH was. There are so many people who deserve that kind of good life and never achieve it, and JRH blew it on hookers, barely legal casual sex, underage sexting, and leaving Cooper in the car to die. And that's only the stuff we know about.

Through text messages JRH admitted he's a high risk person with no conscience (there's a term for that - it's called sociopathy). All evidence in this case points to JRH making the biggest gamble of his life by leaving Cooper in the car to die. Why would he take that kind of risk? The real question is why wouldn't he, since he was getting away with pretty much everything else he wasn't supposed to be doing? It's debatable whether JRH ever experienced any consequences for his actions. Even now his privilege as an upper class man is shielding him from 100% responsibility for his actions. There are people willing to ignore crucial evidence against him and treat him like he's a victim. There are people who have been convicted on far less than what's been presented at trial so far.

JRH going on with his life? He already had a life and it wasn't good enough for him. Since that life didn't satisfy him to what he felt he was entitled to, Cooper's actual life is gone. I hope people take time to think about that, and how Cooper's life keeps getting pushed to the wayside in this trial.

Not only does that smirk get wiped off her face during cross, but, and perhaps not coincidentally, her constant sideways peeps over at RH cease as well.

Jaynie is very much not amused when Kilgore turns the Romeo and Juliette narrative inside out and has her reveal in her own voice, reading her own texts, that she was the one in angry pursuit of Ross, in her own special way, and that he was essentially done with her by the end of May. Not that they had ever hooked up. Not that he had ever stopped juggling online sexting partners, and not that he had ever indicated to her he was leaving Leanna. And not that she had ever indicated she was leaving her BF and new puppy. ;)

Nah, what Ross said was:

4:07 p.m. Meadows reads text message Harris sent her in 2013 saying that if it weren't for Cooper he would have left Leanna by now.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...the-ross-harris-hot-car-death-trial/459028507

Say whatever you want but this was a written text and not something the girl claimed Ross said. It's going to be very difficult for the jury to ignore this text. Laugh all you want about her mental illness but this text from Ross is hard to ignore. Cooper's dead, Ross is divorced. QED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname