OK OK - Girl Scout Murders, Lori Farmer, 8, Michelle Guse, 9, Doris Milner, 10, 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't believe that it happened under everyone's noses and still no one has been found guilty.

Generation Why podcast did an episode on this (#169 02/07/2016): https://www.acast.com/thegenerationwhypodcast/oklahoma-girl-scout-murders-169-generation-why

Still trying to find out how to watch the documentary or get a reasonably priced copy of the book 'Someone Cry for the Children.' It's not on YouTube any longer due to copyrights, and the book appears to be out of print.

The film 'Candles' doesn't appear to have been released, but I am very skeptical of it anyway.

Going to search for copies of the other book, Tent #8.

Any other good resources still available on this case. I heard about this case before and just started researching it. Read through all 20 pages of this forum and some more on Reddit.

Interestingly, a No Sleep podcast was done that uses the crimes as inspiration but is presented as a work of fiction.

Generation Why podcast did an episode on this (#169 02/07/2016): https://www.acast.com/thegenerationwhypodcast/oklahoma-girl-scout-murders-169-generation-why

Still trying to find out how to watch the documentary or get a reasonably priced copy of the book 'Someone Cry for the Children.' It's not on YouTube any longer due to copyrights, and the book appears to be out of print.

The film 'Candles' doesn't appear to have been released, but I am very skeptical of it anyway.

Going to search for copies of the other book, Tent #8.

Any other good resources still available on this case. I heard about this case before and just started researching it. Read through all 20 pages of this forum and some more on Reddit.

Interestingly, a No Sleep podcast was done that uses the crimes as inspiration but is presented as a work of fiction.

Someone Cry for the Children is not available on YouTube now? That's strange. It's been there forever it seems. It's a good documentary. The book is almost impossible to get ahold of. It's no longer published, but there are some nice folks in the girlscoutmurders.yuku.com group who may have a copy they are willing to loan. Some of those folks are also in the FB closed group "1977 Girl Scout Murders". People are always trying to look for that book. It pops up in used bookstores now and again but it's usually very expensive. Some people get lucky, though.

Tent #8 is much easier to find. It is a very comprehensive coverage of the legal aspects of the case of the State of Oklahoma vs. Gene Leroy Hart. The hunt for him, how the attorneys on both sides built their cases and how the trial was conducted. It's very specific and I thought it was very interesting because no one has ever gotten to read a transcript of the trial, only the preliminary hearing. And I was chomping at the bit to see what the witnesses had said and how the questioning had gone down.

Now the movie "Candles". Pure trash. In 2011, an ex-con came to Tulsa and made a big hoopla about how he's going to make movie stars out of all these little girls, he is going to solve the Girl Scout Murders with a movie, gave us the ole' Razzle Dazzle and people ran to his audition in droves. He charged people, hundreds and hundreds of people for headshots, teased the media that he knew who the murderer was and it wasn't Gene Hart. In the meantime, the folks in the Yuku discussion group find out he has given a "stage name" to the media. His real name is John Russell Penn and has been in prison with the man he was fingering as the killer, Karl Lee Myers. They also dug up that John Russell Penn himself had also "confessed" to killing the girls at some point himself. The film was never made, anyone who had anything to do with Girl Scouts or film making in Oklahoma would have nothing to do with him, so he's still trying to do it in some other state but it's not really about "solving the Girl Scout Murders" anymore. He was furious at the time when the Yuku group busted him on FB, he threatened people just like a con man would. He also lied and continues to lie about having the "blessings" of the mothers of the girls to do this movie. He most certainly does NOT have the blessings from them, and he's never spoken to Michelle's mother. I think I know why, too. She would verbally rip that man to shreds and he'd wish he'd never crossed paths with her.

If you are interested in reading the preliminary hearing transcripts, I believe the guy who runs girlscoutmurders.com still has them linked there for download. You probably won't find them anywhere else.

wow, that note . . .

I would have thought that would have been a slam dunk for the civil suit.

http://www.girlscoutmurders.com/images/img0901.png

Creepy. As a parent of a murdered daughter, I would have probably sued as well. :(

Interesting article. It also mentions testimony of girl scouts who hade personal items that went missing that day and night that were found later in other locations. Both locations, a nearby cave and a cabin many miles away, we're both places where Gene Leroy Hart had stayed. The cabin mentioned is the place he was captured and arrested. Family friends were hiding him there. Several items belonging to other campers were found there.

Hart's attorneys argued the items were planted there by police, but that would have been impossible considering the items had gone missing before or on the night of the murders.

I had a copy of Someone Cry for the Children, but it has been borrowed and not returned. It's a pretty good book with a lot of information, especially about Hart's past criminal behavior. IMO, though the jury may have found him not guilty, he was the killer.

Agree, the GSM councils hold have paid closer attention to the early clues, dtc.

Aw, guess I will never find that book then, all the way down in the Netherlands. Shame.

Aw, guess I will never find that book then, all the way down in the Netherlands. Shame.

If I ever get mine back, I'll loan it to you!

Links to information about Gene Leroy Hart's previous criminal record

He was convicted of brutally kidnapping and raping two young women in Tulsa. He confessed and spent 3 years in prison.

http://www.girlscoutmurders.com/HART_S_HISTORY.html

After his release from prison, he was caught prowling peoples homes and stealing personal items as they slept nearby

http://www.girlscoutmurders.com/BURGLARIES.html

He was finally caught when one of his victims, a female police officer, pulled a gun on him. He escaped, but after she called police, they caught him trying to break into another apartment on the second floor above them.

At the time of the murders of the Girl Scouts, he had escaped from jail and was hiding out, living in a cave in the hills near the campground. IIRC, his mother lived nearby, as well as some of his friends. They protected him and supplied him with food, etc. He was also suspected of burglarizing other homes in the Locust Grove area. Since the Campground was large, remote and vacant most of the year, he had plenty of opportunities to go there and scavenge for food and supplies.

I lived about a half mile from this site when it happened. I was just a very young kid, but my family was a huge part of this community. So according to my family, Hart had been a high school sweetheart of Weaver's wife. Weaver set him up because of jealousy or something. Don't know if that is true but that is what the locals believed. There was a satanic cult in the area at the time, and a strange man who dressed up in women's clothes that left town the next day after the murders. No one I have ever heard discuss this case from Locust Grove believe Hart was guilty, and Weaver was not considered to be a good cop. Don't know if any of this small town gossip could help but I thought it couldn't hurt.

It's important to understand that that whole area was Native American, seriously it's Cherokee Country! So it being Native American DNA is not a slam dunk by any means. And also I remember my mother telling me they found a womans high heel shoe there. Also one of the girls father was a police officer, I believe she was black, just fyi racism was a big problem then, may still be I moved away a long time ago. But I think it could be why she was targeted. I read somewhere that she was the only one who was raped. Not sure if that is true.

I lived about a half mile from this site when it happened. I was just a very young kid, but my family was a huge part of this community. So according to my family, Hart had been a high school sweetheart of Weaver's wife. Weaver set him up because of jealousy or something. Don't know if that is true but that is what the locals believed. There was a satanic cult in the area at the time, and a strange man who dressed up in women's clothes that left town the next day after the murders. No one I have ever heard discuss this case from Locust Grove believe Hart was guilty, and Weaver was not considered to be a good cop. Don't know if any of this small town gossip could help but I thought it couldn't hurt.

Pete Weaver was the Sheriff at the time, and I'm sure he did want Hart. After all, Hart had broken out of his jail and had been on the run but seemingly right under his nose for months already. He may have had some tunnel vision because of that. I hadn't heard about his wife dating Gene, though.

Welcome to WebSleuths, armygirl!

I highly recommend reading the trial transcripts located at http://www.campscottmurders.com/pre-trial-volumes.html to get a good handle on the evidence. Much of it reads like a book. I have been riveted and am about to start the 10th day.

Is there any way at all to get a copy of the movie Someone Cry for the Children or the autopsy reports? There is much to be learned from which wounds were post mortem vs. those which were ante mortem. I have not been able to locate either of these things in my extensive research of this case.

I highly recommend reading the trial transcripts located at http://www.campscottmurders.com/pre-trial-volumes.html to get a good handle on the evidence. Much of it reads like a book. I have been riveted and am about to start the 10th day.

Is there any way at all to get a copy of the movie Someone Cry for the Children or the autopsy reports? There is much to be learned from which wounds were post mortem vs. those which were ante mortem. I have not been able to locate either of these things in my extensive research of this case.

The autopsy reports have never been released to the public. As for the documentary, I think your best bet would be to ask your local library if they have a copy of the DVD, or could they borrow from another library. It was at one time an official DVD release. Maybe try Ebay or Amazon to see if anyone's selling copies. It was produced by the same guys who wrote the book, Mike and Dick Wilkerson. They were detectives on the case.

Good luck! Update us if you find anything!

The book is really worth searching out. I read it when new then found a couple more copies during my NE OK years -- sold one, one lost in moves, and still have another. If I can find it I could loan it. And if anyone visits the area and likes to thrift, keep your eyes open -- nice to pay $1.99 for it.

You are correct. It's quite abnormal for sexual predators to devolve in age range of victims.

Can anyone do the impossible? I've tried but cannot find lists for camp counselors anywhere. I have been researching this case for a long time and I truly believe that these two cases are connected . https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...g-1963&usg=AFQjCNEdZ0N9a3OZh9HAYfJWmhKrhImo6w
Due to the fact that in OK DW's shoes appeared on steps during investigation. In CO. it seems no one heard anything even though the victim put up a serious fight??

Can anyone do the impossible? I've tried but cannot find lists for camp counselors anywhere. I have been researching this case for a long time and I truly believe that these two cases are connected . https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...g-1963&usg=AFQjCNEdZ0N9a3OZh9HAYfJWmhKrhImo6w
Due to the fact that in OK DW's shoes appeared on steps during investigation. In CO. it seems no one heard anything even though the victim put up a serious fight??

You could probably track down the list of camp counselors at Camp Scott where these horrific murders took place through the Girl Scout Troop Number and the Council associated with it.

It is quite possible I missed it - and I have researched this case to some degree online - nowhere is it mentioned the Troop number staying at Camp Scott (maybe one of the books written about this case does?) as that would be a tremendous help.

If the Troop number is being kept private for any reason, then it is very questionable as to why, and the possibility this murder was indeed an inside job.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member