Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/faqs.html#How_widespread_is_human_trafficking

Just found this website re The United Nations Office On Drugs And Crime - it's very comprehensive.

I just read on another site the reason that victims of these trafficking rings are tortured, etc., is to gain the submission of the victim; to, in essence, beat down the victim emotionally so as to control/manipulate the victim into submitting to whatever it is they want the victim to do. This could explain why, if Sherri is the woman that was spotted at the rest stop, why she would not acknowledge who she was to the woman who was trying to help her.

Obviously, not all the details have come out regarding this case, but I'm thinking it's more likely as more information comes out, that this was some sort of sex trafficking issue gone awry. According to the recent interview of the gentleman who handled the ransom issue for the family, it does seem oddly coincidental that the ransom issue came to a head at just the time Sherri was 'released.'

My heart goes out to the family. I cannot imagine the horror Sherri must have undergone. The fact that she survived seems to be a true testament to her inner strength and courage.

This is starting to remind me of the JonBenet case (minus the murder) in that JonBenet's parents quickly got in front of the media to tell their story to the public. Turns out there was a huge disconnect going on between the parents and LE. Of course, MOO.

Would Traffickers hold her in in the area for 3 weeks.
Would traffickers beat her in the face? Id think they would want her pretty not beaten.
Why cut her hair? She would have been worth alot of money.

Traffickers I beieve Tattoo their captives not Brand them.

Traffickers IMO take ppl that wont be missed. Victims that wont be reported to LE. runaways drug addicts etc.
I do not think Sherri is a victim of Traffickers!
JMO

I do think LE believes she was abducted and tortured.
I think they may have questions on the WHY!

All JMO

All signs point to LE not believing her version of events, despite what they may say publicly. You see KP's frustration in going public with details that it seems LE would rather him not to have. This is not cooperating with LE.

Everyone is different, we know that. People grieve differently and behave in odd ways when they're going through something traumatic, we're all aware of that too. With that said, 10 years ago my ex was shot and killed. It took 5 years to do a news interview and this is the first time I've brought it up on Websleuths because I don't want to recall those memories. KP is putting this incident on blast and that befuddles me. With the tragedy I went through the news was everywhere, it was a big deal, and I avoided them like the plague. I just wanted to grieve privately as did everyone else involved. Very few interviews were given by friends and family. Granted, his murderer had already been caught, but regardless, I wouldn't have been all over the place giving gory details and making LE have to work harder when they're already working hard enough with this case. If you want to talk about it and bring awareness, then do so after the people have been caught and your wife has had time to heal privately. MOO

I applaud your courage, atothem. And I'm sorry you went through such an awful experience. As for Keith, I don't think his actions stem from grief. I think they arise from a sense of injustice. He is reacting to the vicious rumors and innuendo in social media and on-line sleuthing sites.

Just read this at the link I just posted:

..."Who are the victims and culprits of human trafficking?

Victims of trafficking can be any age, and any gender. However, a disproportionate number of women are involved in human trafficking both as victims and as culprits. Female offenders have a prominent role in human trafficking, particularly where former victims become perpetrators as a means of escaping their own victimisation. Most trafficking is carried out by people whose nationality is the same as that of their victim..."

Nope.

A judge would have to enter a gag order for such things.

And we are not even close to this going to court. Jmo

So Keith has the freedom of speech. Especially since he is the co/victim here.

Jmo

Thank you Dexter. And although I think it is unfortunate that he is blabbing...I feel very blessed to live in a country that upholds that right!

I have a few thoughts:
1. Regarding KP stating that "cars wouldn't stop on I-5". I have traveled on that section of I-5 during the wee hours of the morning and mostly there are freight trucks on the freeway with a few cars. My husband was a prosecuting attorney for over 30 years, and he always said to not stop at night - call 911. He would have said to do exactly what the women did who didn't stop. Call 9111, get your location as soon as you can and then drive up the freeway to safety and then stop letting LE know where you are in case they want to speak with you. We now know that the person on the freeway was SP. The individuals driving past her didn't know who it was and it could have been someone else and it could have been a "setup". Do we know how many people called 911 after seeing her along the road?
2. I would think they may have SP and her husband and children in protective custody since they don't know who did this and she could still be in danger if she is a witness to what she experienced (saw and heard) during her captivity.
3. I'm assuming that KP is exhausted, upset and traumatized still! I feel he is trying to defend his wife against the "naysayers" and he very possibly is saying things that LE wish he wouldn't say. He probably has no experience being interviewed by reporters. In his position, I feel it would be quite easy to say things you may not have meant to say.
I really hope they find the people involved in this hideous crime soon!

All signs point to LE not believing her version of events, despite what they may say publicly. You see KP's frustration in going public with details that it seems LE would rather him not to have. This is not cooperating with LE.

What signs? Can you be more specific?

What I think most can agree on is that SP has been through a very traumatic experience that continues and has not ended. I truly wish her the best in her recovery. The main thing is I hope the truth comes out and justice served for the sake of all involved and the community.

They are not even close to 100% and frankly, it blows my mind that they continue to be used in criminal investigations or cited as proof of either innocence or guilt to the public.
Thank you!!!!!!

Long time lurker here, even before I finally registered-- so this is my very first post on Websleuths!

I've read most of these threads, but there are a lot of them, so forgive me if this has been thrown out there already--

Does KP have a jealous ex? Did he have an affair at some point? His own stalker? Yes, K & S seem very much in love, like the perfect family, but the whole case smells. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe that SP was abducted against her will. But so many of the details just don't add up, and the things that KP/ the sheriff describe as have been done to SP strike me as something done by a jealous woman.

Her hair was cut. Some of it was found with her phone. This seems almost like a direct message to KP. Like, from someone who knows how much he loves her "signature, long blonde hair".

The branding. According to the sheriff, it isn't a symbol, but a message. Could it be a note to KP? Something like "you hurt me, now I'll hurt you". It seems to me that she was always intended for release, as the women kept their or her faces covered the whole time.

All in all, it just comes off to me like a jealous woman specifically trying to get back at KP. Someone who knew that KP loves SP and loved her hair. Now, this could also go the other way-- a woman who was jealous of SP-- of her gorgeous hair, of her perfect marriage, of her family and nice house. Someone who knew how much SP valued her looks-- that would tie in with both the haircut and branding as well. Someone from the children's preschool? A former client? A coworker of KP? You would think that SP would recognize them if it were someone she knew, but between keeping faces covered and trauma, that may not necessarily be the case.

Either way, just some thoughts I had on possible motive. It just doesn't sound like a "random" abduction to me. I believe it was targeted and SP was the only target for these people.

Would explain KP jumping in front of the cameras and his over the top responses. Trying to prove or show his love to his wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Sorry to keep posting from the United Nations' website, but the below paragraph just blows me away:

..."Do many traffickers get caught and convicted?

The number of convictions is increasing, but unfortunately not proportionately to the growing awareness and extent of the problem. There are several likely reasons for the low number of convictions of human traffickers. One of the reasons is the absence of anti-trafficking legislation in some countries. Alternatively, there may be legislation addressing human trafficking but law enforcement officials and prosecutors might not be properly trained to utilize it. Sometimes situations of human trafficking are mistaken for situations of migrant smuggling; this can result in inappropriate and inadequate sentences applied to crimes. Another potential obstacle to securing convictions may also be corruption. Further to this, sometimes prosecutions are not successful because of the unwillingness of victims to cooperate with the criminal justice system where they have been threatened and intimidated by traffickers."

Yes. Sex trafficking is extra fascinating when compared to simple kidnapping. More lurid, if you will, and therefore draws more attention. IMO similar to our morbid obsession with serial killers. No one wants it to be true but not everyone can let go of the possibility, even when the facts suggest otherwise.

JMO

;)

Maybe I should rephrase that: Is there a GOOD (helpful, fruitful, victim-friendly & non-lurid) reason the PI and others are still bringing it up?

msskeptic wrote: "If, hypothetically, LE does not believe her account and has made that clear to them in interviews, then I think KP's actions make sense in that he seems to be defending her story more than anything."

With all due respect, this is a dubious hypothetical. He doesn't have to convince LE of anything. LE surely has the medical reports, CHP reports, etc. Keith has nothing to gain by fabricating the evidence when LE is able to verify every word. The suggestion also flies in the face of what the sheriff has stated repeatedly: that Keith is not a suspect, that his story checks out, that Sherri was abducted, beaten and branded, and that Sherri and Keith have been nothing but cooperative with the investigators. If none of that is true, then God help us. ;)

I suspect that KP is defending his wife's honor (and his own) from the continuing accusations of "hoax" on the internet and elsewhere, because he is perceiving that LE's statements are not sufficient to do that. It's very noble, I guess, but if he hinders the investigation and the criminals cannot be caught, it's not quite so noble for society and others who might be victimized by these miscreants.

It is beginning to seem like every awful thing one can imagine happened to SP, yet she did not require hospitalization. She must indeed be a very healthy person to withstand so much, including losing over 10% of her body weight, and be treated and released. Good thing it was not someone like me...

I am guessing that KP will be revealing much more tomorrow night, probably as a part of the deal with 20/20. He has to hold back some juice details.

Jmo this had nothing to do with sex trafficking. If she was specifically targeted, it may have more to do with things like her cleaned-up social media or the apparent opinions expressed there before someone took time to whisk them away.

But I really do not understand LE allowing this (KP giving out details) to happen unless they feel this will never be a court case. It is all very baffling. Jmo obviously.

When KPs statement came out about SP's injuries, I felt absolutely terrible that I had been posting slightly snide and jokey posts inferring it was all a big hoax etc. and I made a decision that whatever I post on this site from now on, even if I have the biggest doubts or I'm convinced the victim isn't a victim (speaking hypothetically), if it suddenly is confirmed that I was wrong in my thoughts, I wouldn't regret anything I posted and that I wouldn't look like a complete jerk if someone read the thread knowing the outcome.

I just wanted to put this out there as maybe a consideration for people. There are lots of people posting doubts and theories in a very respectful way that would feel no shame if the result was different to their theories. I wonder whether maybe some people, like I should have, should take a breather and consider the ramifications of their posts before posting.

Just trying to pass on experience from having felt awful the other day. All JMO.

Lovely post.

I know that I have been wrong on several cases when hubbys are involved.

And you are right.

Because its human nature to speculate.

But we sometimes have to be careful of downright besmirching others that actually may be 1000% innocent.

So at least we have terrific mods and staff on board here to try and keep things respectful while still allowing us armchair detectives to offer some speculative opinions.

But still. Great post and I agree.

I hope the victim will reveal whether she was trafficked or not. More women and girls can be helped with this revelation. JMO

Everyone is different, we know that. People grieve differently and behave in odd ways when they're going through something traumatic, we're all aware of that too. With that said, 10 years ago my ex was shot and killed. It took 5 years to do a news interview and this is the first time I've brought it up on Websleuths because I don't want to recall those memories. KP is putting this incident on blast and that befuddles me. With the tragedy I went through the news was everywhere, it was a big deal, and I avoided them like the plague. I just wanted to grieve privately as did everyone else involved. Very few interviews were given by friends and family. Granted, his murderer had already been caught, but regardless, I wouldn't have been all over the place giving gory details and making LE have to work harder when they're already working hard enough with this case. If you want to talk about it and bring awareness, then do so after the people have been caught and your wife has had time to heal privately. MOO

Thank you for sharing this. What courage you have! {{Big hugs to you atothem}}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member