Germany - Truck crashes into Christmas market in Berlin, 9 dead, 19 Dec 2016

I feared a tragedy like this would occur so near Christmas. It's horrific and not a difficult attack to carry out compared to using explosives or a plane. Every possible precaution needs to be taken to ensure large trucks cannot reach crowds of people but I appreciate this is difficult to do.

May all those who have died Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and the injured.

I feel awful for that trucking company. I bet they are tragic victims as well. I am pretty sure this hijacked the driver and then ran into the crowd and ran. :sigh:

[video=twitter;810986007072034816]https://twitter.com/PolizeiBerlin_E/status/810986007072034816[/video]

PolizeiBerlin_Einsatz

There is a suspicion that this truck was stolen from a construction site in Poland. The investigations are ongoing.

BBM

I am wondering if the one in the truck who died was shot by police or self inflicted?
Or maybe he hit the windshield on impact

I think he was killed by the terrorist. He may have killed him after overpowering him and taking his truck.

I feared a tragedy like this would occur so near Christmas. It's horrific and not a difficult attack to carry out compared to using explosives or a plane. Every possible precaution needs to be taken to ensure large trucks cannot reach crowds of people but I appreciate this is difficult to do.

May all those who have died Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and the injured.

I hear ya - we do need to be careful about crowded places now and think of security against trucks. Absolutely.

And, then, I think of the Boston marathon.....

There is no true protection, except an end to hate and violence. Sigh. It's overwhelming to think about it, isn't it?

This would be the Polish truck driver, cousin of the owner of the company.

[video=twitter;810959119427444737]https://twitter.com/krokotasche/status/810959119427444737[/video]

Yes, a few news outlets are reporting the dead passenger was killed prior to the incident.

I was confused as well because they were saying it was a smaller six tire truck, like a small rental moving van we have here in the states but on FNN they have video of the truck and it is a semi with an enclosed box trailer behind it. Not as large as some I have seen on the roadways here in our country and may not have been as large as the one used in France but its size could and did do horrible damage to innocent human lives.

I am afraid these Islamic terrorists aren't going to just strike France and Germany by using this method. It is easy to rent a semi here in the US if the renter produces a CDL license to drive one. Or a truck driver could be killed in order to get his/her truck or the terrorist could force them to ride with them.:(

I do believe if we keep letting refugees in from terrorist countries we will see this carnage here one day and it may not be that far from happening right now.

What another horrible tragedy all because of blind hatred against those they didn't even know.:(

I am praying for all of the victims who were hurt and for all of the families who have lost loved ones today.
SABBM

These attacks are never going to 'just stop'. There's a mission out there to destroy and kill.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-40...as-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

Sad to see the graphic trails of blood intertwined with fallen Christmas decorations and what appears to be shoppers' parcels. People out for some fun holiday shopping. Minding their own business and attacking no one; and neither were the German shoppers shouting anti-Isis slogans.
Horrible.
Isis was fairly swift to claim responsibility for this latest atrocity.

www.nbcnews.com/news/world/truck-pl...rlin-injuring-killing-multiple-people-n697926

They pointed out that German authorities have conducted a series of raids in recent weeks, rolling up numerous ISIS operatives.
So, it's the "fault" of the German authorities ? Why innocent civilians, then ? Why not a German police station or military base (not that I ever want to see that happen, either) ?
No, this was a coward who picked a 'soft' target of innocent people. Imo.
:stormingmad:

Rest in gentle peace to the precious lives lost today-- and speedy healing to the injured in body and emotionally !!

http://www.euronews.com/2016/12/19/...wd-at-a-christmas-market-in-berlin-one-person
[h=3]GPS data’[/h]
The company believed to own the vehicle told Polish financial site money.pl that it was able to track its GPS data. It says:

• There was an attempt to start the engine at 3.44pm.
  • Nothing happened for the next hour.
  • Another attempt was made at 4.52pm and the engine ran until 5.37pm, but the vehicle did not move.
  • Further attempts were made to start the engine.
  • Company employee Łukasz Wąsik said it seemed like somebody was trying to learn to drive the truck.
  • The engine was started for the last time at 7.34pm, when the vehicle started to move in Berlin.
  • Wąsik said the driver was 37 years old.

This would be the Polish truck driver, cousin of the owner of the company.

[video=twitter;810959119427444737]https://twitter.com/krokotasche/status/810959119427444737[/video]

RSBM

Rest in peace to the original truck driver --I hate to think what his last moments on earth might have been like. He may have refused to cooperate !
:moo:

Statement of US President Elect Donald Trump about the attack in Berlin :

"Our hearts and prayers are with the loved ones of the victims of today's horrifying terror attack in Berlin. Innocent civilians were murdered in the streets as they prepared to celebrate the Christmas holiday. ISIS and other Islamist terrorists continually slaughter Christians in their communities and places of worship as part of their global jihad. These terrorists and their regional and worldwide networks must be eradicated from the face of the earth, a mission we will carry out with all freedom-loving partners."

:drumroll:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/19/berlin-truck-driver-was-refugee-pakistan-report/

....authorities know a great deal about the man, Die Welt specified the date on which the man arrived in Germany — Feb. 16 this year.

BBM

They know he claimed to be a refugee who committed many (minor) crimes and who held various identities plus the documents to prove them all.

Somehow the Germans no longer want to know the difference between a criminal and a refugee. All that matters is being good and welcoming. I write this with rising anger.

BERLIN TRUCK CRASH UNNERVES EUROPE'S CENTER

WSJ
http://www.wsj.com/articles/berlin-truck-crash-unnerves-europes-center-1482194526

The deadly truck crash Monday night struck at one of Germany’s most hallowed holiday institutions, the Christmas market, unsettling a country that has been an anchor of stability in a continent rocked by terror attacks and political upheaval.

Open-air markets selling mulled wine, grilled sausages and sweets, alongside crafts and ornaments, represent a German Christmas tradition going back centuries. Crowds of locals and tourists normally jam the fair-like festivitiesfound in almost every German town and city, where collections of quaint wooden stalls are generally policed but not surrounded by barriers.

An attack on a Christmas market had been feared amid the recent rise in terrorism across Europe. Last year, following the November 2015 attacks by Islamic radicals in Paris, turnout fell in many German markets. Yet this year attendance rebounded, hitting record levels in some cities, even after police reported last week that a 12-year-old German-Iraqi boy had twice failed to detonate a homemade bomb at a market in the city of Ludwigshafen.

BBM

More at link

IMHO the Wall Street Journal missed some recent terrorist and rapefugee attacks in Germany.
:thinking:

Police:

Death toll stands at 12
48 gravely injured

BERLIN TRUCK CRASH UNNERVES EUROPE'S CENTER

WSJ
http://www.wsj.com/articles/berlin-truck-crash-unnerves-europes-center-1482194526

The deadly truck crash Monday night struck at one of Germany’s most hallowed holiday institutions, the Christmas market, unsettling a country that has been an anchor of stability in a continent rocked by terror attacks and political upheaval.

Open-air markets selling mulled wine, grilled sausages and sweets, alongside crafts and ornaments, represent a German Christmas tradition going back centuries. Crowds of locals and tourists normally jam the fair-like festivitiesfound in almost every German town and city, where collections of quaint wooden stalls are generally policed but not surrounded by barriers.

An attack on a Christmas market had been feared amid the recent rise in terrorism across Europe. Last year, following the November 2015 attacks by Islamic radicals in Paris, turnout fell in many German markets. Yet this year attendance rebounded, hitting record levels in some cities, even after police reported last week that a 12-year-old German-Iraqi boy had twice failed to detonate a homemade bomb at a market in the city of Ludwigshafen.

BBM

More at link

IMHO the Wall Street Journal missed some recent terrorist and rapefugee attacks in Germany.

:thinking:

BBM

I don't think they missed them ZaZara. Imo, they omitted those horrendous facts/acts purposefully. JMO though

Germany has been reeling from the numerous violent acts being done by refugees.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangomouse
Back