Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

There is a huge difference between suffering from a mental illness and not being able to determine right from wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There is. Who else would DG gone after if he had got away ? Imagine having to share a jail cell with him ? Not that it is likely..

On the punishment versus rehabilitation discussion, I agree with otto that we've got to have both. We have to be careful not to slip down the slope of pure vengeance.

DG clearly has problems. He seems to have no empathy for others. This is where we, as a society, have the greatest difficulty in feeling comfortable with the rehabilitation side of our justice system. People who have no ability to feel empathy cannot be "fixed". What do we do with them??

On the punishment versus rehabilitation discussion, I agree with otto that we've got to have both. We have to be careful not to slip down the slope of pure vengeance.

DG clearly has problems. He seems to have no empathy for others. This is where we, as a society, have the greatest difficulty in feeling comfortable with the rehabilitation side of our justice system. People who have no ability to feel empathy cannot be "fixed". What do we do with them??
Keep them locked up where they can't hurt anyone else

With this news today, the O'briens continue to be assaulted by the dark evil of Garland...not even a day later. Each and every time something goes on with this guy, they will continue to have the scab picked off. It makes me want to swear. I truly don't think he is just going to slink away and fade from memory or media any time soon.

With this news today, the O'briens continue to be assaulted by the dark evil of Garland...not even a day later. Each and every time something goes on with this guy, they will continue to have the scab picked off. It makes me want to swear. I truly don't think he is just going to slink away and fade from memory or media any time soon.

I think the defense team will appeal his sentence and parole term...they are trying to decide. The family has that hanging over their heads. Unfortunately they are not free to emotionally move on.

I think the defense team will appeal his sentence and parole term...they are trying to decide. The family has that hanging over their heads. Unfortunately they are not free to emotionally move on.
I can see the possibility of lowering the ineligibility period to 50 years ... just possibly, not that it will matter.

Give them puzzles? And keep them the heck away from the public always, if you are mean like me send him women shoes size 11. Just kidding..

I would love to know more about DG's parents and background. I think it's a mistake to assume anything about them or put too much faith in the standard media reports. I wish Patti would talk and shed light onto how this monster came to be.

ETA: I also found Allen Liknes's very brief victim impact statement interesting.

Yes this was pretty much over looked. He said something to the effect of "i'm glad your family turned you in". Very short and spoken directly to DG. Did he know this would be a sore spot with DG? That his own family sided with the Liknes?

I also think the defence will argue that the 1st search was illegal and justice gated erred in allowing exhibits from the acreage to be added in as evidence.
I can see the possibility of lowering the ineligibility period to 50 years ... just possibly, not that it will matter.

I also think the defence will argue that the 1st search was illegal and justice gated erred in allowing exhibits from the acreage to be added in as evidence.
I think they might argue but I don't think they'll be successful, there were lives at risk

There was going to be appeal attemps no matter what. There almost always is with 1st degree murder convictions. I mean why wouldn't they at least try? Gives them something to do. Doesn't mean it will go anywhere. It's a sad reality for the families of murder victims. It never truly ends.

There was going to be appeal attemps no matter what. There almost always is with 1st degree murder convictions. I mean why wouldn't they at least try? Gives them something to do. Doesn't mean it will go anywhere. It's a sad reality for the families of murder victims. It never truly ends.

That's true. It's just how it is, that defence lawyers test the limits of the law.

And yes to your point, I think the Liknes and O'Brien family are becoming weary of the media's coverage of this case and if so, I can understand. It's disrespectful if it crosses the point to becoming a reality show drama.

What Power of Two said:
"With this news today, the O'briens continue to be assaulted by the dark evil of Garland...not even a day later. Each and every time something goes on with this guy, they will continue to have the scab picked off. It makes me want to swear. I truly don't think he is just going to slink away and fade from memory or media any time soon."

My question, "if" DG has assigned counsel is there a limit to how much will ne paid on his behalf?

Shocked to hear that some on this forum feel bad DG was beaten up? This monster ruined so many lives, yet he has sympathy from some bleeding hearts..... wow. Just wow.

Yes this was pretty much over looked. He said something to the effect of "i'm glad your family turned you in". Very short and spoken directly to DG. Did he know this would be a sore spot with DG? That his own family sided with the Liknes?

I think it was directed to Patti,earlier in the trial, Allen was interviewed and asked about how she was doing, he answered "not good". On that side of the family, they must feel some kind of responsability, even though they are victims too. DG is Patti's children(s) uncle..
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada..._appears_in_court_on_three_murder_charges.htm

This has concerned me also. The lack of a search warrant allowed LE to search and find missing people who were in danger. It didn't allow (per the defense) searching into small spaces where a human couldn't be found (eg where the computer hard drive was hidden in the ceiling). The relevance of the circumstantial evidence in the hard drive was a major factor in determining the consecutive sentence IMO.

I think it was directed to Patti,earlier in the trial, Allen was interviewed and asked about how she was doing, he answered "not good". On that side of the family, they must feel some kind of responsability, even though they are victims too. DG is Patti's children(s) uncle..
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada..._appears_in_court_on_three_murder_charges.htm
I feel for her, she must have had one heck of a time with him for a brother. BTW, the Allen who gave an impact statement was AL's brother not AL's son Allen who was PG's common law spouse at the time of he murders, he was the one that was interviewed in your reference above.

This has concerned me also. The lack of a search warrant allowed LE to search and find missing people who were in danger. It didn't allow (per the defense) searching into small spaces where a human couldn't be found (eg where the computer hard drive was hidden in the ceiling). The relevance of the circumstantial evidence in the hard drive was a major factor in determining the consecutive sentence IMO.
The hard drive wasn't located until the warrant was in place

Shocked to hear that some on this forum feel bad DG was beaten up? This monster ruined so many lives, yet he has sympathy from some bleeding hearts..... wow. Just wow.

We should not become like the people who need to be isolated from society.

Locked up, yes, like animals, no. Protect the public, but keep prisoners safe, engaged, productive, and comfortable. Treating the most unfortunate (such as those with wasted lives) with respect promotes a more respectful environment for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back