Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

He probably won't even succumb to dementia, my grandfather was sharp as a tack when he died at 94

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

From trial testimony, we know that Garland's father has mild dementia - I am speculating. I think Garland has a 50-50 chance of dementia. He has a good chance of living into his 80s (like both parents) so either way - he is life with a broken soul.

Exactly

And we also have learned that Garland was one of six suspects right from Day One, so there was information given to LE aside from the identity of the truck.

I think the defence was just putting on a bit of a show because they really had no case at all.

We should not become like the people who need to be isolated from society.

Locked up, yes, like animals, no. Protect the public, but keep prisoners safe, engaged, productive, and comfortable. Treating the most unfortunate (such as those with wasted lives) with respect promotes a more respectful environment for them.

Those locked up are subjected to the depravity of criminals who are serving time with them. They are all locked up like animals because that is the reality of prison. I agree that that all prisoners should be protected from the violence and sexual assault rampant in prisons, and many should have the opportunity for rehabilitation. But I'm not hoping that someone like DG is being kept "comfortable", and I don't think he can be rehabilitated. I don't consider him an "unfortunate" member of society who deserves respect. He is a monster. You just seem to ignore that. He deserves no sympathy or respect from society.

Garland's lawyer said that he was in jail for 2.5 years and hadn't experienced any difficulties. I wonder if he was threatened for the last 2.5 years by people who perhaps guaranteed vengeance with a guilty verdict. I wonder if there are connections between the four convicts who attacked Garland and his life prior to the murders.

Those locked up are subjected to the depravity of criminals who are serving time with them. They are all locked up like animals because that is the reality of prison. I agree that that all prisoners should be protected from the violence and sexual assault rampant in prisons, and many should have the opportunity for rehabilitation. But I'm not hoping that someone like DG is being kept "comfortable", and I don't think he can be rehabilitated. I don't consider him an "unfortunate" member of society who deserves respect. He is a monster. You just seem to ignore that. He deserves no sympathy or respect from society.

Regardless of what Justice Gates said about Garland being 'evil' and incapable of rehabilitation, it is Garland's right to access all services of education, treatment, and so on simply because it is law that he should be rehabilitated. Canadian law essentially provides that to all convicted criminals, even old psychotic lifers (and dangerous offenders) like Garland. He will be treated like all other prisoners.

I like the Dutch system where morning coffee, non-prison clothing, structure, and social education help socialize criminals.

That's an interesting question. I don't think it was the case with DG's defence, though.

I am curious to see if they continue to represent him. I respect the arduous task they were hired to do, however appalled I was by many of their actions - particularly the day of sentencing. I don't doubt for a moment the impact and toll this has had on them as well. They had to see and hear the same evidence AND try to defend a blatantly guilty, repulsive, diabolical sociopath.
Based on their statements following sentencing about the outcome not being unexpected and the vagueness surrounding an appeal, I suspect they are don't with him.

Was it ever determined who paid for the defence team in the trial? I believe I read at some point that KR is a private attorney but of course that doesn't mean that he didn't take on the case at legal aid rates.

If he was actually hired by DG's family, and they are willing to pay again, they may hire an appellate attorney for DG. Some attorneys do both, but some just specialize in appeals.

If DG applied for and received legal aid to pay his defence team, then I believe he would have to do the same for an appellate attorney. I know that in Ontario, legal aid does not have to provide appeal funding if they don't think there is a chance. However both Michael Rafferty and Paul Bernardo fought for funding under section 684 of the criminal code and won. Both of their appeals were rejected anyway. Just a waste of taxpayer money. Not sure if it's the same in Alberta.

It's entirely possible that KR will help DG to file an appeal. It sounds like he is staying in contact with him so I can see him doing that at the very least. They have 30 days from the conviction.

MOO

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SI-2012-39/page-1.html

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/05/17/rafferty-hoping-taxpayers-bankroll-lawyer-for-appeal

Garland's lawyer said that he was in jail for 2.5 years and hadn't experienced any difficulties. I wonder if he was threatened for the last 2.5 years by people who perhaps guaranteed vengeance with a guilty verdict. I wonder if there are connections between the four convicts who attacked Garland and his life prior to the murders.

Prison has a code: Once tried and convicted, fair game. As much as we'd like to believe everyone in jail is a monster, there are decent people who just do stupid things and act on raw emotion. I can't say the actions of those four inmate were much different than the family friend decking the postmedia photographer.

And we also have learned that Garland was one of six suspects right from Day One, so there was information given to LE aside from the identity of the truck.

I think the defence was just putting on a bit of a show because they really had no case at all.

They didn't have much to work with, but they kept the prosecution honest by asking the ME questions like: so it's possible that the victims died at the house. The Judge sure had a lot to say about where the victims were killed. Did he need that for consecutive sentencing?

Prison has a code: Once tried and convicted, fair game. As much as we'd like to believe everyone in jail is a monster, there are decent people who just do stupid things and act on raw emotion. I can't say the actions of those four inmate were much different than the family friend decking the postmedia photographer.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking.

The family is clearly very upset that the media fought to have photos of their deceased family distributed on the internet. What was the media thinking!

Was it ever determined who paid for the defence team in the trial? I believe I read at some point that KR is a private attorney but of course that doesn't mean that he didn't take on the case at legal aid rates.

If he was actually hired by DG's family, and they are willing to pay again, they may hire an appellate attorney for DG. Some attorneys do both, but some just specialize in appeals.

If DG applied for and received legal aid to pay his defence team, then I believe he would have to do the same for an appellate attorney. I know that in Ontario, legal aid does not have to provide appeal funding if they don't think there is a chance. However both Michael Rafferty and Paul Bernardo fought for funding under section 684 of the criminal code and won. Both of their appeals were rejected anyway. Just a waste of taxpayer money. Not sure if it's the same in Alberta.

It's entirely possible that KR will help DG to file an appeal. It sounds like he is staying in contact with him so I can see him doing that at the very least. They have 30 days from the conviction.

MOO

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SI-2012-39/page-1.html

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/05/17/rafferty-hoping-taxpayers-bankroll-lawyer-for-appeal

I'm guessing that it came out of his inheritance. The acreage was sold for too little, so I doubt the elderly couple can risk giving much more to him without compromising the other two children.

Nothing against Garland's lawyer, but it is my opinion of lawyers that they want to assess how much a client is worth early on, and then they bill pretty much all of it.

I'm guessing that it came out of his inheritance. The acreage was sold for too little, so I doubt the elderly couple can risk giving much more to him without compromising the other two children.

Nothing against Garland's lawyer, but it is my opinion of lawyers that they want to assess how much a client is worth early on, and then they bill pretty much all of it.
I'm pretty sure he's written out of the will ... I don't think he has an inheritance to use. He probably used that up on the meth charges.

I'm pretty sure he's written out of the will ... I don't think he has an inheritance to use. He probably used that up on the meth charges.

I thought that his mother might want to fairly divide inheritance ... loving him in spite of his bad behaviour - given that she is a rural woman with old fashioned type Alberta Women's Institute values. It's hard to say for sure.

On CTV news earlier tonight, they said that it would not be released where DG would serve his sentence. I don't have a link yet, so take it as rumour.

I thought that his mother might want to fairly divide inheritance ... loving him in spite of his bad behaviour - given that she is a rural woman with old fashioned type Alberta Women's Institute values. It's hard to say for sure.
I don't think so, she didn't even support him in court. They took a huge loss on their property because of him. He defiled their home.

Did Garland ever have any partners in his lifetime? I know it's none of my business but I'm noisy.

I doubt anyone would now admit to
It. But did he have any pictures or social media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On CTV news earlier tonight, they said that it would not be released where DG would serve his sentence. I don't have a link yet, so take it as rumour.

... like Karla Homolka - another most hated person.

I think he was given a fair chunk from the sale of the farm. Plus, who knows how much cash he had stowed away. I have to remind myself that he wasn't stupid and he was incredibly manipulative. Based on his parents testimony, he had them wound around his little finger. I don't think it was until the aerial photos came into evidence in April of 2015 that his parents truly walked away. Just my thoughts...

Did Garland ever have any partners in his lifetime? I know it's none of my business but I'm noisy.

I doubt anyone would now admit to
It. But did he have any pictures or social media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did we ever find social media for Garland? I don't think we did. There were a couple of links with failed businesses at the address of the acreage.

The only times where he might have had a girlfriend are at the Lutheran University, where he completed a BSc out of high school, and when he used Matthew Harley's name in Vancouver for seven years. Other than that, I don't think anyone in their right mind would go near him - unless he was really rich, and then women might put up with his bizarre behaviour.

I think he was given a fair chunk from the sale of the farm. Plus, who knows how much cash he had stowed away. I have to remind myself that he wasn't stupid and he was incredibly manipulative. Based on his parents testimony, he had them wound around his little finger. I don't think it was until the aerial photos came into evidence in April of 2015 that his parents truly walked away. Just my thoughts...
The photos showed up before they sold the farm plus they're still alive! Why on earth would they give him a share of the farm while they're still alive? Especially after he did such unspeakable things on the farm. There's no "his share," his parents aren't obligated to give any of their kids a penny from the farm.

What was he doing with the blond wigs, women's shoes, fake breasts, diapers ?
Was he dressing up and going out on the town?
Did he simply prance in front of the mirror?

What a lunatic!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back