Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

Ok, he was hit in the head. People trying to force themselves on a plane are taking certain risks.

How can you be sure that this man was in full control of his own actions when returning to the plane. He had received a blow to the head and was behaving in a manner consistent with concussion.

How can you be sure that this man was in full control of his own actions when returning to the plane. He had received a blow to the head and was behaving in a manner consistent with concussion.
Sorry, but it is clear from the videos that the mans head got bashed against the arm rest. The video of the man after he returned to the plane is very consistent with concussion and/or shock.

The core concept is that a human refused to honor a contract that he had signed, then decided to force his way back onto an airplane. This justifies a certain amount for force being used to stop his action.

Is there any chance that he was just having a temper tantrum and thought his status as a doctor gave him special treatment (such temper tantrums have occurred in other travelers and such doctors do exist)?

First of all, this mans occupation, income, past, and family are all completely irrelevant to the situation at hand,

Second of all, I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's all right there in this mans UA ticket agreement....he is agreeing to these terms when he purchases his ticket....

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:
  • Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.
  • The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

Get up and get off the damn plane when your told to do so....people are booted off flights every day at every airport in the entire world

The core concept is that a human refused to honor a contract that he had signed, then decided to force his way back onto an airplane. This justifies a certain amount for force being used to stop his action.

Though it is possible that he was not in control of himself, it is equally possible that he was having a temper tantrum and perhaps thought his status as a doctor gave him special treatment (such temper tantrums have occurred in other traveler and such doctors do exist).

But what evidence do you have to support your opinion that he was having a temper tantrum? The video evidence shows the blow to the head. The video evidence also shows the behaviour consistent with concussion. I don't see any evidence to support your theory.

First of all, this mans occupation, income, past, and family are all completely irrelevant to the situation at hand,

Second of all, I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's all right there in this mans UA ticket agreement....he is agreeing to these terms when he purchases his ticket....

But, but, but this man was a doctor. As such, for that reason alone,he can void the contract he signed at will. Likewise, if he tries to force himself back on a plane- its United's fault that he gets hurt.

This really upsets me! The ticket agent should have been counting people in the first place so that this never happened. The agent should have known how many employees had to get on that flight before he started loading it! The mistake is at the ticket agents desk.

Next, only employees that need that flight to get them to their connecting city for their flight in a timely manner are permitted on an overbooked flight. For example, the employee cannot go hours ahead of their time to report if there is a later flight that will get them to the city in time to report to work. There are rules for this.

Every person on that flight, in a seat, has the freedom to fly or take the bump. There are different reasons for each person and no one should be forced to give up their seat! Where are our rights and freedoms!

The first thing that comes to mind is IF you checked luggage and bump to another flight, what are the chances of losing your luggage? Great, in my opinion in the world today!

Lastly, this mans background is of no concern to any of us. This one incident is of prime importance and needs to be dealt with only! There are few of us that would like to be ORDERED off a plane! Each of us would have a different reaction, many would not go quietly. IMO

SABBM

THAT ^^^^^

A company is only as good as the employees it hires.

Maybe United needs to do an overhaul of SOME of their staff ?
Better accountability and more competency ??

Just my observations.

Isn't it convenient that none of the other numerous witnesses in the area saw the alleged swing that the passenger supposedly took at the officers trying to remove him from the plane? Only the staff members saw it. :rolleyes:

When the good doctor attempted to force his way on a plane- especially after 9-11, he was asking for trouble.

But, but, but this man was a doctor. As such, for that reason alone,he can void the contract he signed at will. Likewise, if he tries to force himself back on a plane- its United's fault that he gets hurt.

I think you are missing the point here. This would be equally shameful if the passenger had been a garbage collector. Mistreatment is mistreatment.

The doctor appeared really dazed and confused when he re-entered the plane with blood all over his face and it's on video. I'll guess that he had a concussion from the assault. United is going to pay BIGLY.

United should have kept raising the offer of money until someone voluntarily got off the plane.
Last night on one of the Fox shows the man who recorded it that video is viral said he was unconscious when left the actual plane.

ETA http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...nt-unconscious-man-was-dragged-off-plane.html

I doubt this will effect them at all. Sadly. If they lower prices propel will fly with them. As a society, we have decided to accept being treated like farm animals while flying. We allow these indignities. We give the airlines a special kind of power that they don't deserve. They won't have any discernible dip
in customers. But I will never fly with them again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs&feature=share

When the good doctor attempted to force his way on a plane- especially after 9-11, he was asking for trouble.

But you still haven't offered any evidence to back up your claims that he knew what he was doing when he returned to the plane. These claims are not consistent with the video evidence.

But what evidence do you have to support your opinion that he was having a temper tantrum? The video evidence shows the blow to the head. The video evidence also shows the behaviour consistent with concussion. I don't see any evidence to support your theory.

Medical diagnosis from videos are hard to make. He was showing indications of a temper tantrum when he refused to leave his seat the first time.

I think you are missing the point here. This would be equally shameful if the passenger had been a garbage collector. Mistreatment is mistreatment.

Was he in anyway responsible for the treatment he received? Or is it all the fault of the airline that they enforced a contract he signed, then prevented him from forcing his way onto an airplane?

When he forced his way back on the plane (a very bad idea after 9-11- it does not matter what his social status is), and then continued to resist, he risked injury to himself. In this case, the injury was relatively minor.

But he had already been battered before he "forced his way back on the plane." When he re-boarded the plane he was dazed and confused and bleeding from his mouth. From my understanding, the battering occurred while he was seated after being allowed to board. Then they forcibly ejected him, possible battery occurred. Then he re-boarded the plane. The re-entry will have little to do with this, IMO.

Medical diagnosis from videos are hard to make. He was showing indications of a temper tantrum when he refused to leave his seat the first time.

But you were talking about his return to the plane, not the initial removal from the seat. He hadn't received the blow to the head then. Therefore you still have not provided evidence to back up your claims.

Was he in anyway responsible for the treatment he received? Or is it all the fault of the airline that they enforced a contract he signed, then prevented him from forcing his way onto an airplane?

All the fault of UA and the ****s they had remove him from the plane.

But you still haven't offered any evidence to back up your claims that he knew what he was doing when he returned to the plane. These claims are not consistent with the video evidence.
It does not really matter if he knew what he was doing or not- he tried to force his way onto an airplane. That action was going to be stopped. That aside, no possible way that the good doctor was just having an olde fashioned human temper tantrum?

I doubt this will effect them at all. Sadly. If they lower prices propel will fly with them. As a society, we have decided to accept being treated like farm animals while flying. We allow these indignities. We give the airlines a special kind of power that they don't deserve. They won't have any discernible dip
in customers. But I will never fly with them again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs&feature=share

Agreed, they are already almost equivalent with where they closed out last week. They lost customers, but plenty more will fill in. It's always interesting to me how the "apologies" tend to follow the market.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back