Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

United Airlines has one giant CF or Charlie Foxtrot.

This got to be the biggest PR blunder I have seen in some time.

Sorry if it sounded like I didn't believe your story---that wasn't my intention. You're right about United upping the bid---that's clearly what they should have done---and I bet they're kicking themselves now for not doing that. I'm not familiar with United at all but very familiar with Delta and their policies. Sounds like United could take some lessons from Delta. I'm actually shocked at how they do things i.e. letting people board before all the seats have been clearly assigned. The mess started there.

Great point with boarding without seats being clearly assigned. Agreed that this was also where things went horribly wrong. I could not imagine promising a hotel room to a customer who paid for it only for the room to not be reserved. I could seriously not live with myself telling them to their face "Oh yes I know you just flew in from Germany and are exhausted and thought your room was reserved, but actually a staff member needed it for the night so sorry - looks like another hotel for you as we are fully booked!" That is such bad business practice.

hotel concierges and gate agents/travel agents have so much more pull than people think. I was able to comp a couple from Germany for their entire stay once (talking well over $1000.00) b/c expedia accidentally booked them to the wrong hotel and not mine. Of course expedia tried to give me the run around b/c they didn't want to pay the actual price of out hotel's nightly rate to make up for the reduced rate of the hotel they wrongly booked for the couple. I demanded the couple be comp'd or I would start a case. They immediately covered the stay. LOL. The couple brought me an orchid as a gift of gratitude the next day. See it pays to be a nice agent/manager/whatever! United are you listening?

This incident has even made the news over here on several news and morning shows. It's amazing to see almost $1 billion dollars was wiped off the United share price because of it. I hope the man involved fully recovers soon and receives an appropriate level of damages for his injuries and humiliation. I don't agree with the media publicising information about his past that has nothing to do with what has happened here.

[video=youtube;5YGc4zOqozo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo[/video]

United's CEO turns contrite as fallout spreads from passenger mistreatment

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-united-shares-20170411-story.html

" As public outrage grew and the stock took a hit over the forceful removal of a bloodied passenger, United’s top executive turned contrite, apologizing and launching a review of the company’s policies.
The mea culpa Tuesday by Oscar Munoz, chief executive of United Airlines’ parent company, followed several botched attempts to quell the scandal that has drawn political fire, international headlines and ridicule from late-night television hosts."

"
Dao surrendered his medical license in 2005 and applied for reinstatement, telling regulators that it was a matter of “family honor.” Dao has a history of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, for which he has received treatment, according to state licensing records. Regulators cleared his return to medical practice in 2015."
I'm actually so pissed that they are releasing his mental health issues. IMO, his job, mental health, etc are not at all relevant!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I would think if they upped it to 1350 they would have gotten someone to bump.

Every airline knows to get people to voluntarily give up their seat, all they have to do is offer enough money to make the inconvenience worth the payment.

I was on a flight where the offer went to $2000 until someone volunteered and It wasn't me.

This incident has even made the news over here on several news and morning shows. It's amazing to see almost $1 billion dollars was wiped off the United share price because of it. I hope the man involved fully recovers soon and receives an appropriate level of damages for his injuries and humiliation. I don't agree with the media publicising information about his past that has nothing to do with what has happened here.

It happened more than 10 years ago and he paid his debt to society. Was it right? No. Does it have any relevance? No.

"By dislodging this passenger against his will, United violated its contractual obligation," [Judge Andrew] Napolitano said. "He bought the ticket, he passed the TSA, he was in his seat, he has every right to be there.
As for the police response, Napolitano said they should not have violently dragged the man off the plane just because United officials asked them to.

"If the reason for their call is not a crime, they should leave," Napolitano said. "They have no right using violence to resolve a civil a dispute. ... If the passenger is politely or reasonably sitting there, waiting for the flight to take off, he's not committing a crime, he's not engaged in violence, he's not doing anything that justifies police force."

He said the man "absolutely" has a case against United if he files a lawsuit, because of the "inconvenience and public humiliation."

Napolitano added that the police could also face a lawsuit, because they used excessive force in a situation in which no force was required.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/...video-could-sue-airline-judge-napolitano-says

Right. No one in this country should ever be inconvenienced. If they are, they should be compensated. That's how we roll.

And nobody's business.
Exactly. It reminds me of when someone who's unarmed gets shot to death by the cops for mouthing off, and then everyone wants to dig up all their dirt to justify it. Different situations but same idea. Both are reprehensible.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Dao's license information:

Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure

http://web1.ky.gov/GenSearch/LicenseList.aspx?AGY=5&FLD1=dao&FLD2=&FLD3=0&FLD4=0&TYPE=

ETA: Feeling a little uncertain about posting this. I know it is public information, but I am going to alert this post to make sure it is appropriate.

I think it's important for people to research their doctors. I wouldn't want him practicing medicine on me.

Maybe his past isn't pertinent in regards to this incident idk. He has anger issues that could be relevant if this case goes to trial but that seems unlikely. JMO

What is now really pissing me off is how they are now exposing his past records. (medical?)

I've not read to the end of the thread so don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it seems this passenger and his history is being confused with a different Dr David Dao with different middle names. Maybe he has potential for an action for defamation as well ....

Source: https://twitter.com/MarkTranSD via https://twitter.com/Idealaw

I'm sure they wish they had offered more now.

They might be thinking that, but I can't help but think that even if they offered more money, people might still refuse. People often have somewhere that they NEED to be: work, funeral, family event, conference, not wanting to lose a booked hotel room, etc.

United Airlines has one giant CF or Charlie Foxtrot.

This got to be the biggest PR blunder I have seen in some time.

I suspect it will still be being discussed in business textbooks 30 years from now as an example of how to turn a minor problem into a PR catastrophe.

They might be thinking that, but I can't help but think that even if they offered more money, people might still refuse. People often have somewhere that they NEED to be: work, funeral, family event, conference, not wanting to lose a booked hotel room, etc.

No, if they offer enough money, somebody absolutely will take it. But they are not going to get a doctor to give up his seat and miss a day's work, for less money then he would make. Bumping somebody from a flight, is a major inconvenience that can be very costly for many people. They need to be fairly compensated. In this case United decided they didn't want to pay fair compensation, so they called the cops to help them bully a customer off the flight instead.

The policy states they may be denied boarding, not that they may be ejected with force after being allowed to board.

what do you expect them to do after the man refuses to leave the plane?

should they stand there and stare at the guy for 3 hours while 200+ other people are inconvenienced?

No, if they offer enough money, somebody absolutely will take it. But they are not going to get a doctor to give up his seat and miss a day's work, for less money then he would make. Bumping somebody from a flight, is a major inconvenience that can be very costly for many people. They need to be fairly compensated. In this case United decided they didn't want to pay fair compensation, so they called the cops to help them bully a customer off the flight instead.

Keep in mind though that when an airline offers money for you to voluntarily give up your seat, they're usually talking airline dollars. In other words, if Delta offers you $800 dollars to give up your seat, they're talking 800 Delta Dollars---to be used on Delta in the future. Cold hard cash usually only comes into play when you're forced to give up your seat.

what do you expect them to do after the man refuses to leave the plane?

should they stand there and stare at the guy for 3 hours while 200+ other people are inconvenienced?

Why should he of been made to leave the plane as he was not in the wrong.

He had a ticket for that seat and he was not the one who over booked the flight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz
Back